Who Are They!?

The Way We Used To Be

“Did you guys just arrive?” Guigui asked excitedly.

“No, we have been here for a while,” Victoria answered.

“Since when?”

“Since you and your so called fiancé were coming down the stairs,” Xiao Gui answered.

“That long!?  Why didn’t you guys come over to say hi?”

“Because we wanted to check out who was your future husband.  We can’t give you away to some loser you know.  We wanted to see what kind of man he is, and see if he is worthy of you,”Jiro said.  “After all, you are our little princess, our pride and joy.”

“There you go again Jiro, acting like you are her doting father,” Wu Chun interrupted.

“What’s wrong that.  In my eyes, I am her daddy, and Victoria is her mommy!” Jiro said with a proud look on his face as he pointed to Victoria.  “Also, Aaron, Xiao Gui, and Wu Chun, you guys are her loving brothers!  You guys got that, now play your role damn it!  We talked about this already!”

They all stand there laughing together.  It has always been like this; ever since Guigui met them in the States.  Over the years they did become her family, and it was exactly in that order that they play their role as well.  Victoria was like a mother to her, always worrying if she is hurt or if she has eaten; Jiro, always praising her and saying how proud he is of her.  Wu Chun, Xiao Gui, and Aaron were like her older brothers, always looking out for her and making sure that no one bullies her.  But since Aaron and Guigui were the youngest in the group, they were a lot closer to each other; she felt that she could tell Aaron anything and she did tell him everything.  Never hiding anything from him, and even if she wanted to, he was always able to sniff out the truth from her.  All five of them, always protecting and helping her, never allowing anybody with bad intentions to get close to her or hurt her; because of them, she never felt lonely back in the States.  As a matter of fact, she never was lonely because they were always there to cheer her up.  The five people who knew basically everything about her; she felt so bless and grateful towards them.

“I would have to agree with some parts of what Jiro just said,” Aaron answered as he turns toward Guigui.  “You are very special to us, you know that.  We want to make sure that the man who is lucky enough to marry you will be able to give you a lifetime of happiness and are capable of protecting you because we will not always be there to look after you.”

“You guys are the best, always looking out for me,” Gugui said smiling.

At this point Taecyeon had made his way to were Guigui were.  “Who are this people?” Taec asked Gugiui.

Guigui turns around, “Oh I am sorry Taecyeon Oppa, where are my manners.”

“We are her family,” Jiro interrupted before Guigui had a chance to say anything else.

“Her family?  I thought she didn’t have any family!?” Taec answered coldy.

“We don’t need be blood to be her family,” Jiro snapped back that Taec.

“Sure, ok whatever.  I am…”as Taec was about to introduce himself.

“We know who you are,” Xiao Gui interrupted.  “You are the who tricked Guigui into marrying you.  What makes you think we will allow Guigui to marry you anyways?  Can you provide her a lifetime of happiness?  What can you do for Guigui?  Do you know what she is afraid of the most, what she wishes for more than anything, do you even know what her favorite food is and what she is allergic to?”

“I……”Taec answered angrily.  He then noticed Guigui looking at him with sad pleading eyes, he thought to himself for moment; remembering one of the conditions in the contract that Guigui had mention.  He suddenly remember what Guigui was eating the morning before, and how she had mentioned it was her favorite, “I am afraid I don’t know any of those stuff you just asked, the only things I do know is that her favorite food in the morning is waffles with whipped cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, and a cherry on top.  Also, I know that she is a really kind person.  Sometimes she is too nice to the point where I feel that she gets taken an advantage of.  I want to protect her from those people, and anything else that I don’t know about her, we still have a lifetime together, a lifetime to slowly learn everything there is to know about her.”

“Sure whatever Mr. Smooth Operator, how do we know that you aren’t just lying right through your teeth right now huh?” Xiao Gui answered Taecyeon back with a snare.

“Ok, ok, ok…Break it up you guys,” Victoria came into the conversation clapping her hands and smiling.  “I think we can trust him.”  Victoria then turned towards Taecyeon and whisper close to his ears, “However, if my instincts are wrong and you do end up hurting Guigui.  You can believe that you will see me again, and it won’t be pretty.  You should know how scary a woman can be when it comes to protecting the ones that she loves right?”

Taecyeon stood there shocked, unable to do anything, he just nodded his head to indicate that he understands.  At this point, the announcer asked that Taecyeon and Guigui come to the dance floor for the last dance.  Taecyeon carefully takes Guigui’s hands and lead her to the center of the floor.  He slowly slipped one of his hands onto her waist while holding her hand.  They both smiled at each and began to dance.  Everybody’s eyes were on the couple, mesmerized by how perfect the two looked together.

“So who were those people?  What kind of crowd do you hang out with back in the states, some hoodlums,” Taec asked Guigui.

“Hey that’s not nice!” Guigui answered.  “They are not hoodlums ok, although they may not seem like it at times, their families are very important.  Jiro and Xiao Gui are brothers; they are world-known famous fashion designer for their family’s popular clothing line located here and at the states.  Wu Chun and Victoria are siblings as well, and their father is the Ambassador here in Korea.  As for Aaron; he is my best friend, as well as my business partner for the restaurants and hotels that I own.  Not only that, his family owns many of the high end hotel and restaurants back in the states you know.  So before you say anything, make sure you know the facts first”

“Ok, I apologized if I offended you.  Wow, I didn’t know that they are such important people in this society.” Taec answered her and as he looked away he murmur, “And to you as well.”

As the song began to come to an end, Taec’s father steps up to the microphone; “Thank you to all the guest that came to my son and future daughter-in-law’s engagement party.  I want to make an announcement.  My son and daughter-in-law’s wedding will be held in two months, on June 19th.  Again, thank you all for coming.”

Everybody grasped in surprise.  “Why is the wedding so soon.”  “Is she pregnant?”  Will that be enough time to plan a wedding?”  Everybody was asking these questions.  Taecyeon and Guigui were surprised as well.  They stood there feeling shock and helpless; unable to control anything at this point and having to go along with it all, they stare at each other.