Uncle Returns

The Way We Used To Be

The next day Taec wakes up to see Yoona in the kitchen again, cooking his food for him.  “Wow, she has been over here every day since Guigui left home.” Taec thought to himself. 

“Morning oppa,” Yoona interrupted Taec’s thought.

He quickly looks up and smile, “Morning Yoona.  What are you doing here so early in the morning?  You don’t have to come and make me breakfast, I have maids that will do that.”

“Yes I know, but I want to spend time with you.  I want to make up for all those lost times we had when I went overseas.” Yoona answered back.  “Now hurry up, breakfast is ready.”

Taec smiles and nod his head, indicating that he understands, he goes and sit down.  As he began to eat his breakfast, he again started thinking about Guigui.  How Guigui and him would sit there every morning and enjoy their meal together while talking about anything and joking around.

“How’s the food Taec?” Yoona asked.

“Hm.  It’s really delicious.” Taec replied.

“Since today is Saturday, do you want to lie around the living room and watch movies together?” Yoona asked.

“Really, you want to do that?  You never wanted to stay in before, instead, you would always want to go out and do something.” Taec asked.

Yoona starts nodding her head with a smile, “Yes that is true, but I figure we can try to do something different.”

“Ok, sure.  I guess we can do that then,” Taec replied.

After they were finished with their meals, Taec went and got dress.  Afterwards, he came back down and they headed to the video stores.  The first place Taec went to check out was the horror section.  He looked around for a bit wondering which video Guigui would like to watch.  After a long time debating, he finally chose two horror films while Yoona grabbed some romantic comedies.  They walked out of the store, happy with their choices, gets into his car and returned home.  As Yoona gets comfortable on the couch, Taec is putting in the movies and grabbing some snacks in the kitchen for them.  He comes back and press play.  They both sit there watching movies, as Yoona tries to move closer to Taec, he keeps moving futher away from her.

“Oppa, why do you keep moving?” Yoona asked after many fail attempted to lean on him and hold his hands.

“Hm. Oh, it’s nothing, it’s just that I am hot,” Taec responded.

Yoona gives him a mean stare before finally being able to hold his hand and rest her head on his shoulder.  They sat there in silence for a while as they continued watching the movie. 

“Hey!  What is this?  What do you think you two are you doing huh?  Where is Guigui!?” a man shouted.

Both Yoona and Taec, startled by the sudden shouting, turned to the door.  There, they see his father standing at the open doorway with an angry look on his face.

“Dad,” Taec responded as he quickly jumps up from the couch.

Yoona also quickly gets up and bows, “Good afternoon uncle.  How are you doing?”

Taec’s father looks at one to the other, not really sure which one to scold at first.  He points to Taec for a moment and finally asked, “Where is my daughter in law?  Where is your wife?”

Taec unable to respond stands there frozen.  Yoona, understanding the situation that they both are in, quickly tries to make her exit.

“Uncle, I should be leaving.  I will come back and visit you,” Yoona replied as she again bows down.

“You don’t have to leave Yoona,” a voice came from behind Taec’s father.

All three turns to see who was speaking; to their surprise it was Guigui.  Guigui quickly made her way into the house and next to Taec’s side.  She bows to her uncle, “Good afternoon uncle, you’re back.  When did you arrive?” Guigui asked with a bright smile on her face.

Taec’s father stares at her for a moment before giving her a smile, “I just got back a moment ago, where did you go?”  He then walks over to Guigui’s side and whisper, “Guigui, is Taec cheating on you with this thing?” Taec’s father responded while pointing to Yoona.

“Of course not uncle, don’t be silly, I asked her to come over,” Guigui replied trying to reassure her uncle. 

“So why were they holding hands and why was she resting her head on his shoulder alone?” her uncle asked her.

Guigui quickly looked at them two for a second and turns back, “Uncle, can’t you see.  We were watching a horror movie and I bet Yoona probably got scared and did that unconsciously.  Oh yeah by the way uncle,” Guigui responded while holding up a couple of bags.  “I got this for you, these are supposedly really good tea.  You want some?” Guigui quickly answered, trying to change the topic.  She takes hold of her uncle’s arm and pulled him to sit down on the couch.  “I will be right back ok uncle, let me go and brew some tea for all of us.”  She turns to Taec and quickly gesture for him to sit down with his father.  Taec looks at her for a moment and realizes what she was trying to do.  He smiled and nodded as he went and sat down next to his father.  Guigui quickly turns to Yoona, “Yoona, would you mind helping me prepare these teas?  I can use your help.”

Yoona nods her head and follows Guigui into the kitchen.  As they began preparing the tea, they remain silent.  Yoona finally turns to Guigui, “Why did you help us back there?  Wouldn’t you rather have his father yelled and kick me out.  Forbidding Taec from ever seeing me again?”

“No, of course not.  That would make Taec really sad, I know he loves you and all he wants is to be with you.  How can I, an outsider, even try to come in between you two?” Guigui answered without looking up at Yoona.  Instead, all of her focus went into making tea.

“That’s good that you know your place.  Oppa has been telling me how happy he is that you had left and how wonderful it has been since I have been here spending time with him.  I must really be the one that he loves huh!” Yoona answered back with a smirk on her face.

“Of course, you should know how much he loves you.”Guigui responded to Yoona’s taunting words.  Guigui finally finishes brewing the tea and looks up at Yoona.  She hands Yoona the tray and smile.  “Here, you should start trying to get on uncle’s good side.  Why don’t you go out first and start serving them the tea.  I will prepare these snacks and come out once I am done,” Guigui answered.

Yoona does as Guigui ask and walks out.  She goes and set the tray down on the coffee table and pours out a cup of tea.  She then hands it to Taec’s father and one to Taec after his father has taken the cup.  She looks as Taec’s dad drinks a sip of the tea.

“How is it to your liking uncle?” Yoona asked.  He nods his head to show that he approves the taste.  “Oh that is a relief.  I brew this tea myself.” Yoona bragged.  He sits there, ignoring her, and as soon as he sees Guigui coming out carrying a tray filled with snacks, he immediately slaps Taec’s hand, gesturing for Taec to get up and go help his wife.  Taecyeon instantly follows his father’s instructions.   

Taecyeon goes and tries to grab the tray from Guigui.  “Here, let me carry it, it must be really heavy.” Taec responded with a smile on his face.  Yoona stares at them with jealousy, not understanding why Taec must get up and help Guigui with her tray when he didn’t even bother helping her. 

“It’s ok oppa, I can carry it myself, see, I am really strong,” Guigui replied while showing Taec her other arm as she flexes for him to see her muscles.

Taec lets out a loud laugh, “Yes, I see that you are strong but still, here let me get it.  You’re such a dork sometimes Guigui.”  Taec snatches the tray out of Guigui’s hand and set it down on the coffee table.  Guigui follows him and as she reaches for the cup to pour herself some tea, Taec snatches the cup away from her as well.  “Here, let me pour you some, ok.”  He pours her a cup and gently hands it to her, “Be careful, it’s still very hot.  The tea tastes incredible, Yoona brew it.”

Guigui smiles and looks up at Taec, as she was about to say something; Yoona interrupted her, afraid that Guigui was going to tell the truth and expose that Yoona really didn’t make the tea, instead it was Guigui.  “Uncle, how was your trip?”

“It was ok, nothing much.” Taec’s father responded.

“Oh, that’s nice” Yoona answered. 

“Guigui, every time I called you, you were always so busy with working so when did you find the time to go and buy all of these snacks and tea?” her uncle asked.

“Don’t you know uncle; I will always have time if it’s for you.” Guigui answered slyly with a smile.  “Hm, actually when I spoke with you last week to see when you were returning, I had already taken off work to go get these prepared for you already.”

“Oh really, my my my Guigui, you are as thoughtful as ever.  I really missed you, I was worry that Taecyeon here would bully you once I was gone.  But I am glad to see that I was worrying for nothing.” Her uncle replied.

Guigui gave him a smile for reassurance and then looks down to the floor.  How was she going to tell her uncle that she was leaving?  How was she going to bring up the fact that she could no longer stay married to Taec Oppa anymore?  How was she supposed to break the news to him?  As they all sat there enjoying tea with snacks, Guigui could not get those questions out of her mind. 

As Guigui was busy thinking about how to break the news to her uncle, Taec couldn’t help but stare at his wife with a smile on his face.  He was happy to see her return and be by his side again.  With just her being there next to him, he felt happy.  He thought for sure that she wasn’t going to return back home after their argument, but sure enough, there she is.  He couldn’t be happier that his father had returned home because then that would mean Guigui would have no other choice but to stay close by his side.

While Taec was focused on Guigui, Yoona was focusing in on Taecyeon’s reaction.  She knew that something about him was different.  She could see it; he was all smiles now that Guigui was there, when just not too long ago, he seems kinda lifeless.  Yoona couldn’t believe her eyes, “He used to have the same look whenever he saw me back then.  What could have caused him to change so much.  It hasn’t been that long since I was gone and yet, he is like a completely different person.  Everything that he used to like to do back then, he was no longer interested in them.  Does this mean that his feelings towards me have changed as well?  No, I won’t allow that to happen.  Oppa is mine and no one else.  His love will and must always remain with me!” Yoona thought to herself as she stares bitterly at her boyfriend looking at another woman.