Alone Together

The Way We Used To Be

As Nichkun and Guigui watches everybody drives off in their car while waving goodbye.  After a few seconds, Nichkun turns to Guigui, “Should we get going as well?”

 

After Guigui nodded her head, Nichkun placed his right hand slightly on her back, leading her to his car.  He opens up the door and then closes it after Guigui and gotten in.  He walks around to the driver side and gets in. 

 

He turns to her, “Do you mind spending some more time alone with me?”

 

“Sure, I don’t really have anything else to do,” Guigui responded with a smile.

 

Nichkun smiles back at Guigui before driving off.  He stops at a gas station to pump in gas and also to buy a 6 pack of beer.  After he was finish, he gets back into the car and starts driving.

 

“So where are we headed?” Guigui ask.

 

“You’ll see.” Nichkun responded with a smile.

 

After driving for about 15 minutes uphill passing through some forests and turning on a small dirt road, Nichkun parks the car.  “We’re here.”  He steps out of the car leaving the car on and walking in front of the car. 

 

Guigui quickly follow, “So what are we doing……” she stops as she sees that Nichkun is staring off somewhere.  She notices bright lights and she automatically turns her head towards the same direction that Nichkun was staring.  “Oh wow……” Guigui stunned by the beautiful scenery.  She sees the whole city from a distant with all their lights on.  The whole scene looked like a picture out of a beautiful painting.  It was so beautiful that it took her breathe away.  “This is so gorgeous.” Guigui softly let out while admiring the city from far away.  “I never knew there was such a place like this so close to the city.”

 

“Yeah, it’s beautiful isn’t it?  It’s so peaceful here.” Nichkun responded as he opens a can of beer and hands it to Guigui.

 

She looks at Nichkun to see him smiling.  However, his smile was different from the usual.  It wasn’t one of those fake smiles that he sometimes would give out of courtesy or pity.  It was a different kind of smile; one that she hadn’t seen before.  She reached out to grab the beer, “Thank you.” She softly answered.

 

“Mm, no problem,” Nichkun responded and then open himself a can.  They silently drank their beer as they stared off the cliff to seeing the brightly lit city.  After a while, Nichkun finally broke the silence, “I sometimes come here whenever I have a lot on my mind and want to get away.  Somehow this place helps me forget my problems.”

 

“Problems?” Guigui asked confused.  “Is there something that is troubling you Nichkun?”

 

“Mmmm,” Nichkun answered as he nods and then he takes another sip from his beer, still not looking at Guigui.

 

“What is troubling you?  If there is anything I can do to help, please don’t hesitate to ask, you’ve been so kind to me.  If there is any way I can pay you back, let me know,” Guigui answered with a worry tone in her voice. 

 

Nichkun lets out a little chuckle before speaking, “YOU are the problem.”

 

“HUH!?!? ME???  Did I do something wrong?” Guigui asked surprise.  “I am so sorry if I ever did anything to offend you.  I didn’t mean too.”

 

“No, it’s nothing like that.  You don’t need to apologize.” Nichkun answered.  He pauses for a moment, “Instead I should be the one apologizing to you.”

“What do you mean?” Guigui answered.

 

“I….”Nichkun pauses, “I knew what Taecyeon was planning before you guys got married.  I knew that he didn’t love you and yet………And yet I just ignored it and let him go ahead with his plans.  I knew it wasn’t going to end well and yet I acted like I didn’t know anything.  I knew that you had grown feelings towards him and yet, I acted like I didn’t notice.  I am so sorry Guigui, because I was a coward, you are now hurting.  The pain that you had to endured, the tears you’ve cried, the loneliness you felt, that was my entire fault. I..” Before Nichkun finished Guigui had cut him off.

 

“None of it was your fault!!” Guigui shouted.  She then paused and lowers her voice as if she was whispering a secret.  “I knew exactly what I was getting myself into and when I started falling in love with him, I knew that my feelings towards him were never to going to be returned back.  I knew that I could never be the person standing next to him and so I chose to be the person standing behind him.  I wanted to support him in any way that I could, not just because I loved him but also because I wanted to make it up to him; for coming in between him and Yoona.  I knew everything too well and yet…” Guigui looks down began fidgeting with her fingers, “And yet my feelings for him only grew stronger and stronger, before I knew it, it was too late.  I had completely fallen in love with him.”

“Guigui,” Nichkun softly whispered.

 

Mmmm…” Guigui answered while shaking her head side to side, “I am sorry for worrying you, but you don’t need to be.  To tell you the truth, one of the main reasons why I came back to Korea was because…”

 

“Because of what?  Didn’t you come here because of the new restaurant you’ll be opening soon?” Nichkun asked.

 

“Well………..it was because……You see……” Guigui was on finding that she having trouble finishing her sentence.  “I wanted to tell you first because you found out.”

“Find out??? Find out about what?”

 

Guigui took a deep breath,” You see, well one of my business partner from here insisted that I come back to Korea for a marriage meeting with his son.  Apparently his son had met me in America and fell in love with me.  His son had asked him to contact me and ask for my hand in marriage.  Crazy right!  Who would’ve thought that somebody would still be interested in me even though I am a divorce woman?”

 

“WHAT!!!!! Are you serious?  Does Taecyeon’ s father know?” Nichkun responded.

 

“Yes he does.  I had gone over to discuss this matter with uncle and asked for his opinion since I do not know of them very well   Taecyeon had seen me at his house and chased after me.  That was how Taecyeon had known I had return. “

 

“Does Taecyeon know of this?  What about your friends.  Victoria hadn’t mentioned any of this to me.” Nichkun asked in surprise.

 

“Nobody knows of this except uncle, you, and me.  Even my own friends do not know.”

 

“You refused the marriage proposal right?”

 

“I actually haven’t met them yet since I had hurt my ankle.  I will be meeting with the both of them in 2 days.”

“Well tell you that you are going to refuse!”

 

“I can’t do that either.  Honestly, I have been thinking about this a lot.  If I do agree, that would be a great benefit for Aaron and my business.  Also, I won’t be alone anymore; I am tired of being alone.” Guigui answered with tears rolling down her face.  “Even though everybody is always looking after me and helping me out, making sure I am not lonely, I still am because at the end of the day I am still on my own.  It’s been so long since I had a family of my own; it’s been almost 15 years now since my parents past away.”

 

Nichkun grabs onto Guigui and holds her tight in his arms, “Even so, know that you are not alone.  I know that you feel lonely and hopeless, but Guigui……..”

Guigui pushes Nichkun away and stares at him “I’m just exhausted of everything.  I no longer want to feel this way anymore.  If I marry him, I will have a place where I belong, and…….And maybe my feelings for Taecyeon will go away.  Like you said, I am hurting so much right now.  I just want this pain to go away.  I doubt I will ever love anybody else like Taecyeon so to me it doesn’t matter anymore who I end up with, especially since I am already consider damaged goods since I was already married and divorce.” 

 

“So then why don’t you marry me then?!” Nichkun shouted.

 

“WHAT?” Guigui asked with a shocked expression on her face.

 

“If it really doesn’t matter who you end up with and you don’t care anymore, than……Than why not marry me instead.  We’ve known each other for a long time now and we get along really well.  If your reason for considering the marriage proposal is really because you want a family than be with me; I want a family to belong to as well.  I know the feeling of loneliness that you talked about too well, even though my parents are alive, they live completely across the globe with my younger sister.  If I am lucky, we’ll maybe get to see each other once or twice every few years.  I too want to go home to a family.  Guigui you are such a warm, loving person and if you were to be a part of my family than I know that the loneliness that I feel will fade away.”

 

“Nichkun, I……….” before Guigui could finish her answer Nichkun interrupted her.

 

“Think about it ok.  If it really doesn’t matter than you should consider me as an option as well.” Nichkun stares at Guigui, “I know that I can love you better than the other guy who you don’t even know, and I know that I will never hurt, not the way like how Taecyeon hurts you.”

 

Guigui stares at Nichkun, his shadow looks so lonely and sad, and his tone was painfully similar to how Guigui’s sounded.  She somehow understood his feelings.  It’s no wonder why they got along so well, they were so similar, how could she not see this before.  The loneliness that he must’ve felt, she knew too well of that same pain.  She couldn’t stop herself anymore.  She step forward towards him and gently wrapped her arms around him as tears flow down her cheeks.  “It must’ve been so painful for you, being alone here.  I am so sorry that I never realized this.  All this time I had been allowing you to comfort me when you were the one that needed comforting.  I am such a horrible friend Nichkun.  Please forgive me.”

 

Nichkun tightly held onto Guigui as tears round down their faces.  After a while, Nichkun let go of Guigui and stare at her face.  “Promise me you will think about it.  I mean about marrying me.”

 

Guigui nodded, “Mmm…I promise I will seriously consider what you just said and in return, promise me that you will not tell anybody about what I had told you earlier.”

 

“Not even Victoria?”

 

“Especially Victoria, knowing her, she will immediately tell everybody else and they will come rushing to Korea to stop it while worrying.  I don’t want to worry them.” Guigui answer.

 

“And what about Taecyeon?”

 

“If I decide to move forward with the marriage, whether it’s with you or my business partner’s son, I will tell him then since he still does need to file our divorce papers.  Until then, he does not need to know as well since it does not concern him.” Guigui forced a smile onto her face.

“Are you sure?” Nichkun asked again.

 

“Yes, I’m sure.  Sorry if I had worried you,” Guigui responded.

 

“No not at all.  So you are ready to go home?”

 

“Sure,” Guigui answered back.

 

They both walk back to the car and after Nichkun had opened the door for Guigui, he walks over to his side and gets in.  As he drives her home, she thinks to herself for a while.  “Ah, do you talk to Victoria?” Guigui suddenly asked Nichkun.

 

“Hum…Oh yeah, we email each other here and then,” Nichkun responded.  “She was the one that gave me the ideas of what to take you to do today.  She also told me that you guys used to play paint gun tournaments.”

 

“Oh that makes sense, “ Guigui answered.  “Hahahaha, I thought today seemed different.”

“Different?” Nichkun asked.

 

“Yeah, because we were doing everything that I liked.  Although I have to be honest, I really did think it was just a coincidence.”

 

“Actually it really was a coincidence, because all of those things are things that we love to do as well.”

 

“Oh really, well that’s wonderful to know.” Guigui responded with a smile.

 

“We’re here,” Nichkun sudden replied.

 

“Huh?” Guigui asked confused with his answer.

 

He nods out the window on her side and turns to look.  “Oh, you mean we’ve arrived back at Taecyeon house.”  Guigui laugh. 

 

Nichkun gets out of his car and opens up Guigui’s door.  He places his hand on her back and gently guided her to the front of the steps.  “Thank you for a great time.  I really enjoyed it.”

 

“No problem, and remember, consider my proposal.  You promised.” Nichkun replied.

 

“Hmmm…Yes, I will.  I will seriously think it over and let you know once I’ve decided.” Guigui answered back with a smile.

 

Nichkun places both of his hands on Guigui’s small face and lean in.  He gently kisses her on the forehead and once his was finish, he steps back and smile.  Guigui stun by his sudden action, just stood there looking at him with her eyes wide open.  Nichkun turns around and walks back to his car without saying a word.  Once he had reached his car and opened up his door as though he was going to get in, he stops, “Go on in Guigui.  It’s late, get a good sleep.” He replied with a gentle smile on his face.

 

“Huh, oh yeah, thank you.  Drive safe and good night.”

 

“Good night to you too.” Nichkun responded and then got into his car and drove off.

 

Guigui turns around and was about to walk up the stairs when she thought she saw a shadow from above.  She looks up at the balcony to the right where Taecyeon's room were and sees Taecyeon sitting there staring down back at her.