In Separate Places

The Way We Used To Be

As Guigui sits at her desk doing her work, her phone rings.

“Hello.” Guigui answered.

“Hi it’s me,” Taec answered back.

“Oh hey, so are you in Japan already?”

“Yeah, my plane just landed and I am actually walking out of the airport right now.  So how is your day going so far?”

“Hmm.  Its ok, it’s not bad.  How was your flight?” Guigui asked.

“It was good.  Well anyways I just wanted to call and let you know that I have arrived here safely.”

“Ok then, see you when you get back.” Guigui replied and then hung up the phone.

As the day quickly went by, Taec finishes up with the meeting and heads to the hotel.  He quickly goes and checks in.  Afterwards, he goes and washes up and prepares to eat dinner.  As he began to eat his dinner alone at the dining table, he felt that something was missing.  Also, for some strange reason the food didn’t taste good. 

“Why does this steak taste so weird, also it feels like something is missing.”  Taec thought to himself quietly as he finishes up with dinner and picks up his phone; debating if whether he should call Guigui or not.  After a long time contemplating on whether he should call or not, he decided not to since it was getting late.  He went and lay in his bed, tossing and turning throughout the entire night; waking up every few hours and then trying to fall asleep again.  Once morning had arrived, Taecyeon woke up and got ready to go to work.  On his way there, he received a text message and so he pulled over to look at the message.

The message was from Guigui, “Good Morning Taec Oppa.  Rise and shine!  REMEMBER, you must eat breakfast so you will have plenty of energy for work. :)”

A big smile came onto Taec’s face as he read her message over and over again.  He decided to get out of the car and grab some breakfast since there were many bakery around.  He ordered his breakfast and before eating it, he decided to take a picture, he also took some photos of him eating as well. 

Once he was finished, he texted Guigui the pictures with a message, “See, this is what I had for breakfast.  I remember so don’t worry.  Where is your proof of having breakfast? ”

“What proof do you need?  I already had breakfast and I am at work already.  Sorry!” Guigui instantly replied back to his message.

With a big smile on his face Taec continues to text Guigui, “Well, since you can’t show me any proof of you having breakfast, you better text me some photos of you having lunch so I will know that you are eating and I will do the same later.” 

Taec walks into his office with a big grin on his face as he greeted his employees. 

“You seem to be in a great mood today sir.” His assistant said while looking at his big smile.  “Did you have a great sleep yesterday?”

“Huh? Oh it’s nothing,” Taec responded back.

As Taec was in the middle of a meeting, his cellphone ring once and began to flash; indicating that he have 1 new message.   He opens it up and saw a picture of Guigui eating some sushi with a text, “See Oppa, I am having sushi for lunch right now.  Too bad you’re not here to share!  :(” 

After reading the text and seeing some pictures of her eating, he began to laugh out loud.  “Aw, cute.” He said aloud. 

Everybody in the meeting turns and looks at him.  “What is cute sir?” his assistant asked.

“Oh nothing.  Sorry about that.  Let’s take a lunch break everybody!” Taec responded as he got up and walked out of the room.  He went down to the cafeteria and orders himself a set of sushi as well.  After he finished taking pictures of his lunch and sending it to Guigui; he decided to give her a call.

“Are you still eating your lunch?” Taec asked as soon as Guigui answered the phone.

“Yes I am and I see that you are copying me in eating sushi as well.” Guigui quickly responded.

Taec lets out a laugh before responding, “Well, since you said you wanted to share, I figure if I get sushi too then, it will be like I am there eating with you.  Don’t you think so?”

“Oh so that’s the reason why you got sushi huh.  Yeah, I guess in a way we are eating together then huh,” guigui answered with a laugh.

“Oh hey, does your phone accepts video calls?” Taec quickly asked.

“Yes, it does.  Why?” Guigui asked curiously.

“Ok, hold on one second,” Taec answered back as he hangs up the phone.  He then redial her number, but this, he called her using the video call.  As soon as she picked up the call, he answered her before she could reply, “See, now it’s really like we are having lunch together.”

They both place their phone on their desk while having it stand up so they can see each other as they eat. 

“So how is your sushi?” Guigui asked.  “Is it yummy?”

“Yeah, mine tastes really good.  How about yours?” Taec asked back.

They continue on with their conversation while they ate their lunch.  After they were finish, they hung up and continue on with their day.  Later that night, as Taec ate his dinner he kept on wondering to himself why his food isn’t as delicious as before.  He decides to video call her so they can talk while finishing their dinner together.  As she picks up, he waves to her and she smile back to him, just like how they ate their lunch; they began to eat their dinner. 

Taec, realizing that the food that he was eating just a few minutes ago was now tasting better than before.  “Hm.  I wonder why this taste different from before,” he thought to himself.  “Is it because I am talking and enjoying my dinner with Guigui, is that why this tastes better than earlier?”

Unable to find the answer, he continues to talk to Guigui as they finished their meal together. 

“Goodnight Guigui, I have to go to sleep.” Taec said to her.

“Hm. Ok, I also have to sleep too.” Guigui answered.

“Ok, I will video call you again tomorrow so we can enjoy breakfast together.  Bye.” Taec replied as he hangs up the phone.  He gets ready and heads to bed. 

For the next two days, they continue to video call each other when it came to having their meals. 

“When will you arrive at the airport?” Guigui asked Taec.

“My plane will land at 12:15pm, you are coming to pick me up right?” Taec asked.

“Yes of course,” Guigui quickly answered.

“Ok, well I will see you then.” Taec replied before hanging up the phone.

Guigui sits patiently waiting inside the airport for Taec’s plane to land.  Finally, she sees him exiting from the gate; she gets up and waves to him as she began to walk towards him.  “How was your trip?  Are you tired, do you want me to take you home so you can rest?”

Taecyeon nods his head as they walk out and got into her car.  As she was driving him home, he turns to her and ask, “Are you just dropping me off and returning back to work?”

“Why?” Guigui turns and answer Taec with a smile.  “Do you miss me, is that it?  You want to hang out?”

Taec looks at her surprise as if she had just read his mind, he responded, “I wouldn’t go as far as saying I miss you, but yeah, I don’t mind hanging out.  I need somebody to entertain me.  So are you up for it?”

Guigui lets out a laugh, “I don’t need to work today.  I took a half day ok.  So sure, let’s hang out.  I will prepare us some lunch when we get home.”

After arriving home, Taec takes his stuff up to his room while Guigui goes into her room to change.  She comes back downstairs and starts preparing their lunch.  After Taecyeon was finish, he also came down and sat at the dining table to watch his wife cooks.

“So, what are you making for us?” Taec asked anxiously. 

“Chicken Alfredo,” Guigui quickly responded.

“Oh ok.  That’s one of my favorite dish, you know that?” Taec asked.

“Yes I do.  I asked around and this is what everybody suggested.” Guigui answered back shyly.

Taec gets up and walks over to the kitchen to help his wife cooks.  After the food was finish, Guigui brings their food to the table; while Taec went and got them something to drink from the fridge.

“This is really good Guigui.  You did a really good job.”

“Really!?  Oh that’s a relief, I was worry you wouldn’t like it.” Guigui replied back with a big smile on her face.

After they finished eating, Taec suggested that they go for a walk around the park.  While they were walking and holding hands, they came across a playground.  They both decided to go sit on the swings while they were having a conversation about everything and anything that came to their heads.  It began to get dark and so they went back home.  When arriving at home, dinner was ready and waiting for them.  They sat down and enjoy their meal together again.  After finishing their dinner, they went up to their rooms and slept.