The Marriage Contract

The Way We Used To Be

Ever since the day that Taecyeon had asked his friends for help, he has been busy.  Busy with writing the marriage contract that will save his life and give his future the happiness that he deserved. 

“Why is it so hard to come up with a contract for this marriage?” he thought to himself while getting up to stretch.  “Argh! I better start brainstorming again about what I want it to say.”

Taec sits back down and start scribbling on the paper again.  After 2 hours of scribbling down ideas of what he wanted in the contract; he then began to circle the ideas that he thought was most fair to the both of them.  He turns on his computer and started typing.  After working on drafts after drafts, he finally completed the terms. 

“There, this should do it,” he said aloud.  “Now, how am I going to make Guigui sign this?” He thought to himself for a while.  “How about: Hi Guigui, here sign this!  No, this isn’t right.  She won’t sign it!  Hmmm…Guigui, I don’t love you so here, sign this.  This is the contract for our marriage.  Argh…No, no, no.  Oh, how about, here, you either sign this contract, or I will kill you!” he thought for a second.  “What are you Taec, a psycho?  You will just scare her and then she really won’t sign it.”

After thinking of many ways on how to trick and threaten Guigui into signing the contract, he decided to just be honest.  “Everybody is always talking about how honesty is the most appreciated and the most important thing in a relationship, right!?  I should just be honest with her about my feelings towards Yoona, her, and this marriage.  She will understand right?  I mean, she is a pretty reasonable person.  That’s it, I will just be honest.  Yes!!! Ok Taecyeon, go give it to her!”

As he was about to go to her room, he notice the time on his watch.  “Damn, it’s this late already.  She is probably sleeping by now.  I guess I have no choice but to give it to her tomorrow morning before the party.”

The next day, Taecyeon got up extra early to rehearse what he was going to say to Guigui and how he was going to give her the contract so she will sign it.  After practicing for a while, he went downstairs to have breakfast.  He sits down and begins to eat.  As he finished his meal, he then notices Guigui coming down the stairs. 

“Perfect.  I can ask her up to my room after she is done with her breakfast,” he thought to himself.

Guigui came and sat down across from him.  Tong Tong comes out and brings her a plate of food.

“Thank you Tong Tong,” Guigui said.  “Oh wow, this is my favorite.”

“Yes I know.  I remember you telling me so yesterday.  I figure it is a very important and special day for you.  So I personally cooked this for you,” Tong Tong replied while smiling.

“Oh you are the best Tong Tong!  I can’t believe you remember that, especially when we were just having a casual conversation.  You know, you are the second person to know that this is my favorite,” Guigui said while giggling.

“Hey Guigui,” Taecyeon interrupted.  “Can you come up to my room after you get done with breakfast?  I need to talk to you before the party starts.”  Taecyeon gets up and leaves the table.  He starts heading back upstairs and into his bedroom.

Guigui and Tong Tong stare at each other for a second before speaking.  “What do you think he wants?” Guigui asked Tong Tong.

“How should I know?  He is your fiancé, not mine.” Tong Tong replied.  “So whatever it is, it’s not my business, but I am sure it will be alright.  Maybe he is just coming around to the idea of marrying you.”

Guigui finishes eating her breakfast and slowly start walking to Taecyeon’s bedroom.  She knocks at his door and waits for a response before entering.

“Come in,” he said.

Guigui goes inside and Taecyeon gesture for her to sit on the couch.  She follows his instructions and goes sit down on the love seat.

“Do you want something to drink?” he asked her.

“No, I’m fine.  So what is it that you want to talk to me about?” she asked curiously.

“Oh right.  Ok so hum, Guigui.” he answered with a shaky voice.  “So listen, I have been giving this whole thing some thought and I guess I will marry you.  Since you said that you won’t refuse my father because he has done so much for you, I decided that I will help you fulfill his request.”

“Really!?  Oh that is great Taecyeon.  Thank you,” Guigui said.  “You will…..” but before Guigui could finish; Taecyeon interrupted her.

“But there is something that you have to do for me,” he said as he handed her the contract.

She looks at the piece of paper with a confused look, “What is this?”

“It is exactly with the paper suggested.  Look Guigui, we both know that this marriage isn’t going to last.  We don’t love each other, and the only reason why we are both doing this is because of my father.  My father told me he will take away my inheritance, and for you, well; you feel like you owe him something.  So this is the best solution to solve both of our problems.  My dad can’t say anything if we both try but the marriage still doesn’t work, right!  We will be marry for a year, and then tell him that it’s not working out and get a divorce.  This way, we will both get our own lives back.  Take a look at the contract and tell me what you think!”

Guigui still in shock starts reading over the paper.  Afterwards, she puts the paper down and asks for a pen.

“Really?  Great, here is a pen then,” Taecyeon said while taking out a pen as fast as he could, for he is afraid that Guigui will instantly change her mind.

“I do have some conditions though,” Guigui quickly responded.

“Sure, whatever it is I will agree to it as long as you agree to the contract,” Taecyeon happily replied.

“While you and I are married, we must pretend to be happy.  We must act like we really love each other, so that way, we will be able to convince your father that we really did try to make it work.  Or else…”Guigui pauses, “Or else your father will be very disappointed.  Also, no matter how upset we are with each other, we must always have breakfast and dinner together.  Because you know what people, a family who eats together, stays together.  And lastly, while we are married, we must check in with each other in case your father asks about our whereabouts.  Is that a deal?”

“That’s it, sure.  Ok I will quickly go over the contract for you.  It basically states that you, Guigui, and I, Taecyeon, will enter into a one year marriage.  After the year is up, you must divorce me, no exception.  Also, you cannot tell anybody about us being married, other than the people who already know.  For example, if it is any of Yoona’s friends, you cannot and will not tell them that you are married to me because if they find out.  Then they will inform Yoona and this whole thing will be a waste.  There are also some more clauses, but they aren’t important because I am 100% sure that you and I will not fall in love.  Do you understand and agree?”

Guigui nodded her head to let him know that she agrees.  “To thank you for agreeing to marry me to please your father, this is the least I can do for you.  Especially when I know that you already love someone so much.  You know Taecyeon, I am somewhat jealous of Yoona.  To have someone who loves her this much and be this faithful to her, I hope she knows what a great man you are and I am sure that one day, she will agree to marry you.” Guigui said as she picks up a picture of a woman sitting in a glass frame from the coffee table.  She stares at it for a moment. “Is this Yoona?”  Without letting Taecyeon answer, “She is gorgeous.  You both make a great couple.”  She then puts the picture frame back down on the table gently and starts walking out of his room.   Taecyeon stares at her small back, feeling a bit sorry towards her. 

“Hey Guigui, one day you will be able to find someone who will love you as much as I love Yoona,  Trust me, that guy for you is out there somewhere,” Taecyeon said smiling at her sincerely.

She smiles back at him and continue to leave his room.