A New Friend

The Way We Used To Be

The next morning was Thursday and Guigui had to go pick up her dress for the party.  As she sits at her desk combing her hair she hears a knock at the door.

 

Knock..knock…knock…

 

“Come in,”Guigui answered.

 

The door opens and a young maid comes in.  “Good morning Madam.  Breakfast is ready,”the maid said.

 

“Oh thank you,”Guiui said, the maid bows and turns around to walked away.  “Hum. Excuse me,” Guigui quietly said.

 

“Yes Madam.  Is there anything you need?” the maid asked.

 

“Yes, well you see, my dress needs to be picked up today,” Guigui answer.

 

“Oh, no problem madam; I can go to the shop to pick it up for you.  Just give me a minute to inform the other maids so they can tend to you first ok,” the maid replied.

 

“Oh no, no, no that is not what I meant,” Guigui quickly responded.  “What I meant was….”she pauses; unsure of how to ask.  “Well, you see.  Since I came back to Korea…I really don’t know…..anyone…”Guigui said shyly.  “So…I was wondering if…”

 

“If what madam,” the maid asked smiling.

 

“Well you see..”Guigui softly answer while she starts fidgeting with her fingers.  “If you would like to go with me to pick up my dress and shoes; I can use another girl’s opinion you see.  I also still need to pick up some accessories.  And, well......once we finish with shopping, maybe, you would like to go have lunch and talk.”

 

“Oh....Madam, I don’t know what to say,” the maid answered.

 

“Oh, I see.  I am sorry, here I was only thinking of myself and not even considering the fact that you must be busy with other things,” Guigui softly replied while looking down at the floor.

 

“No madam, that is not it at all.  I was just a little surprised and shock that of all people, you would ask me to go do such things with you.  I would be honored to go with you,” the maid responded while smiling.

 

Rigth then, the biggest smile came onto Guigui’s face.  “Really!?  You mean you will go with me and maybe we can become friends.  That is great.”

 

“Yes, madam, I would love to be to your friend, if you don’t mind.  I mean, we are from two total different worlds, but none the less, I would love to be your friend.”

 

“Please, don’t call me madam anymore.  My name is Guigui, I am no one else but Guigui.  This is the name my friends calls me by.  What about you.  I really don’t wish to keep addressing you as the maid,” Guigui asked.

 

“Oh pardon me.  My name is Tong Tong,” the maid answered.

 

“Tong Tong huh!  Wow, that is such a great name.  Guigui and TongTong.” Guigui said giggling.  “Let’s go have breakfast together before we go shopping ok?”

 

Tong Tong stared at her for a moment before responding.   “Madam,” Tong Tong shook her head after seeing Gugui’s expression of being called Madam again, “I mean Guigui.  Why don’t you go have breakfast first, I already ate.  Also, while you are eating your breakfast, I will go get changed and let the head maid know that I will be leaving with you.”

 

“Are you sure?  Oh, ok.  I guess I can eat breakfast by myself.  Once you are done, hurry down so we can have a early start on our girl’s day out!” Guigui said excitedly.  “I will be waiting downstairs for you ok Tong Tong.  Just come down whenever you are ready.”

 

Guigui skips out of her room happily as she thinks to herself; she had made a new friend and from now on, maybe she won’t be as lonely as she has been for the past month.  She went downstairs and quickly ate her breakfast.  Due to Guigui trying to stuff with food in a hurry, she began to choke and started coughing.

 

“Are you racing in a food eating contest by yourself?”  Taecyeon asked, looking at her with disgust.

 

Guigui quickly looks up as she drinks her water to help the food go down.  “How long have you been standing there watching me eat?  Are you some kind of ert who gets off from watching people eat?” Guigui responded as soon as the food when down.

 

“Please, what man out there will find a girl who stuffs her face like a pig attractive?  Seriously, don’t you even have any sense of control?  I don’t want a fat wife you know.”

 

“Shut up.  I can eat however way I want to.  So what if I get fat, it’s not like you are going to be attracted to me either way,” Guigui snapped back at Taecyeon.

 

At this moment, Tong Tong walks down the stairs.  “Guigui I’m ready.  Are you ready?”

 

“Oh yes, I am,” Guigui quickly answered Tong Tong.  “Shall we go?”

 

“Sure.” Tong Tong said.

 

As Guigui got up from the table and walked toward Tong Tong, she purposely bumps her shoulder against Taecyeon as hard as she can, causing him to lose balance for a second.  She gives him an evil stare with her tongue sticking out as he stares back at her, “Hmph,” Guigui said to him and left.

 

“What the..”Taec managed to finally say, but by then, she had already reach the front door.  He stood there surprise for a second and began to laughs.  “Where did this girl come from?  Seriously!!  She is so weird sometimes!” he thougth to himself. 

 

Guigui hears him laughing and turns back around.  She gave him a sweet smile, “This is the first time that I've heard you laugh.  It’s nice.  You know, I mean your laugh and smile.  Maybe I should do this more often so you will laugh and not be in such a bad mood all the times.”

 

That instantly snapped him back and noticed that he had been laughing out loud, and not in his head.  “Shut up!” he said while turning his head and blushing.

 

Guigui then turns toward Tong Tong and they leave the house.  They spent hours at the mall shopping for accessories and a pair of shoes to match her dress.  

 

"Hey Tong Tong, if I buy you a dress and all the stuff  you need, will attend the party as one of my guest?" Guigui asked with her head tilted.

 

"No, I am sorry Guigui.  I can't," Tong Tong answers.

 

"Why not?  I wish you can be there with me so I won't be alone.  I will look so pathetic being there with no friends." Guigui quickly said.

 

"I know you want me to be there, but you see, we are short handed as it is already.  I really need to be there to help cater to the guest.  I hope you will understand."

 

"How about if I hire some help.  Then they cover your work, and you can come.  I would really love to see you in a dress with me."

 

"That's really nice of you Guigui, but I can't.  I will be out of place and it will not look good for you.  People will wonder what kind of friends you are choosing.  Remember, you must make a good impression on all of the guests."

 

After trying to convince Tong Tong for a while, Guigui finally gives up.  She didn't want to push Tong Tong into something she didn't want to do, especially since they just became friends.  They finished shopping and eating, and finally went back home.