55 Partial Truths

Kiss or Kill

President Kim’s men threw your weak and feeble Grandfather in front of you. On instinct, you had run to his side, helping him up.

However, all he did was cough and breathe heavily.

He had become quite skinny and the life in him seemed to have disappeared. It looked like he had been completely malnourished and abused.

He no longer looked like the uptight, strict, and evil Grandfather you knew – the one that poisoned you continuously.

“What is the meaning of this?” you glared at President Kim, “Didn’t you kill him?”

President Kim snickered and glanced at what was left of your Grandfather, “I thought you would’ve told her back then.”

You glanced at your Grandfather and then at the other man, “What are you talking about? Speak clearly.”

“Why don’t you ask him? I’m sure he will be able to explain everything,” President Kim gestured to your Grandfather, “He was the one that betrayed me.”

Your Grandfather’s eyes opened as he took a deep breath, “You shouldn’t be here. He’s going to kill you, you know? I know I’ve made many unforgivable mistakes in the past, so it’s only right for me to pay for what I’ve done.”

Hearing his words, you almost couldn’t believe it. Was this really the Grandfather that had been there while you grew up?

“Don’t mind about that now. Tell me something. What is this about a betrayal?” you asked your Grandfather.

That was when Grandfather began to tell the other side to this completely complicated past:

-GRANDFATHER’S NARRATION-

“I hated you so much when my daughter first died. Your mother was my world and when she went against my wishes and married your father, I let her do what she wanted. That was when she gave birth to you. When I heard that she had died, it was already too late to regret that I should’ve stopped the wedding from ever taking place. That was the most heartbreaking experience I had ever gone through.

Blinded by anger, I began to experiment with poisons. I wanted to take your life too since I had believed that her death was caused by you – You caused the house to burn down and your parents to die. The hatred wouldn’t stop, so I did the unforgivable – I poisoned you again and again. I didn’t allow you to die because that would have been too easy. I wanted you to suffer.

That was when I met President Kim. The two of us began a series of under-the-table operations. We got into the black market and things got messy. When we heard that you had been getting in the way along with your friends, we needed a way to stop you. We planned a situation where you would be forced to be ripped of your identity. I had become the hostage and President Kim would take the place of the kidnapper. However, we had to make sure you were going to come.

That was the reason we took Youngjae.

He was our back-up plan. It sealed the deal and you had come within twenty-four hours. To make sure you weren’t going to lie about your identity, we sent hundreds of President Kim’s men to beat you. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never knew how hard and rough they were going to treat you. I always believed it was going to be a small beating – to teach you a lesson, if you will.

We never actually expected the other boys to show up as well, but we had enough men and we took them on. After the beating ended, President Kim pretended to have me killed. It was supposed to force you to forget about me and never return to find me. It wasn’t a bad idea actually. You had hated me and I didn’t take care of you – It was for your own good.

But after you and the rest of the boys had passed out, I saw the weak state you had all fallen into. Disgust overpowered my hate. I couldn’t believe what I had done. It was all a huge mistake.

I ran away Jini.

I had made the biggest mistake ever.

I never counted on President Kim’s next move. He said that beating you was just for show. The real plan of elimination wasn’t just stripping away your identity. He was going to kill you.

He was going to send me and my men to kill you.

I tried to persuade him that it was unnecessary, but he didn’t listen. So, I took my men and we went out to find you. It was fortunate when we finally realized you had escaped town. You were not there, but President Kim wasn’t going to stop until he knew you were dead. So, I did the one thing possible. I had seen your necklace in the hands of your friends.

I did the one thing I could.

I ambushed them for that necklace. If I showed the necklace to President Kim, he would believe that I had killed you and you would forever be free of the past. He wouldn’t be able to hurt you anymore.

I don’t know where I went wrong, but he found you again. You fell onto his radar.”

-END OF GRANDFATHER’S NARRATION-

Your eyes widened at what your old man had said. Was it really all true?  You couldn’t believe it. However, judging by the expression on President Kim’s face, you realized – it had to be the truth.

“How’d you find me?” you whispered, your voice quiet but dangerous.

You wanted to know. You needed to know.

Was it your Grandfather’s mistakes once again?

However, the man just smirked, “You angered the wrong girl – My daughter.”