Useu

Magical Eunya Village

 

So Eun hastily sat close to the old man and said in worried voice:

- Please take this tablet, senior. It treated internal injure well.

The old man didn't want to take it but she still determined to force him. He avoided her hand trying to help him and then sat cross-legged. His eyes closed but he still forced a smile:

- Kid, do not be afraid. I will not let you have to bury me.

- Do not say those words, senior - So Eun gently blamed - it's not a joke at all.

- Alright, alright, why are you so talkative now? Be quiet for a while, can you? I really want to sleep.

So Eun was back into  the corner. She did not know why she felt familiar to him, starting to worry about him. Maybe she had not any relatives, she needed someone considerate to her, teasing her, making her feel small. So Eun took off her coat and gently covered his shoulders. In that moment, she felt the old man trembling.

It was dark but fortunately the car had gone through the woods and the Green River Town was in front of them.

- Lady, we're now in the Town. Where do you want to stay tonight?

So Eun looked out the window and then whispered:

- Well, you choose a good inn and tell them to prepare three rooms for us. Ask them a store for our goods also. Then tell their chef to make some chicken soup for this senior.

- I will do right away. Lady, I will ask someone to help you take this old man inside.

- Yeah. Thank you.

Green River Town was a wealthy place. The main street of the Town was crowded. From where she was standing, she could see all inns here were lightened up now. She suddenly missed Eunya Village and Junho. She wondered what he was doing right now, whether thinking of her or his fiancee. Tears well up in her eyes but she tried to hold on. She could not cry. Could not cry this time.

There's a sound behind So Eun that made her look back. Even though she did not light a lamp, but the light from the opposite inn also made the room quite bright.

- Kid, you are still here?

- Oh, you awake already? I tell them to make you some soup. Wait me a second, I will call them.

The old man slowly sat up. So Eun ran to stop him:

- Please stay in bed. You're still weak.

- Alright. As you like. Ha ha, it's great if I have a good grandchild as you. Haizzz, in the past, If I tried to live seriously, I would definitely have someone to marry.

So Eun could not help to smile:

- Are you kidding? I think that you had a lot of beautiful girls in your life, right?

So Eun felt like she saw some sorrow in his eyes for a moment. But the old man laughed:

- Ha ha, you're very smart and have an eye. I look like this now but 30 years ago I was not bad. Ha ha, must say the best. Ha ha.

So Eun giggled, did not expect the old man talking so witty.

- Senior, we've known each other for long but I did not know your name. Mine is Kim So Eun.

- Kim So Eun? Pretty name - the old man muttered.

- And you senior?

- Me? Are you upset if you don't know my name?

- Ani, not like that, senior.

- So be it. But if you like, you can call me Useu. [it means "laugh"]

- Useu?

So Eun smiled. Perhaps he always laughed then he liked her to call him Useu. Not bad.

There was a knock on the door and a waiter brought a bowl of hot soup into the room. So Eun turned back to help the old man up but he was sitting at the table ever since. She put down the bowl in front of him and sat down opposite. The old man was not polite at all, just eat so quickly.

- Kid, do you have something that I can help?

So Eun looked up and seemed to be surprised, but the old man was still innocently wiped his red nose:

- You stood at the window for a long time but not tired. Did I not guess wrong?

So Eun slightly lowered her head. She did not know what to answer. Sadness suddenly rushed to invade her soul. But she tried to be calm, smiling slightly:

- Well, I have nothing to worry, senior. Geuniyang ...

- Geuniyang what? Little kid, you don't have to pretend to be strong. Let your grandfather tell you. Forget that bastard.

So Eun was wary, looked at the old man but he laughed:

- I just guess. Certainly you were treated badly by some bastard, right? Let me finish, don't interupt. Just remember who truly cares about you. Otherwise, forget him. Remember that. Alaso?

It seemed that the old man talked too much, so his blood circulation became disorder. She hastily stood up and said:

- Useu, go to rest. You looked so tired. I don't bother you anymore. See you tomorrow.

So Eun bowed and then turned to the door. She vaguely heard him muttering to himself "tomorrow, tomorrow". When she looked back, the old man was lying on the bed already. Trying to hold on a sigh, So Eun closed the door. She did not notice that his eyes secretly watched her with full of tenderness.

Early the next morning, So Eun brought some soup for the old man. She knocked on the door so many times but he didn't reply. She hastily opened the door. The room was empty. The old man had disappeared. Only a small envelope was on the table. So Eun hastily opened and read.

"Kid, I go. Take care yourself and remember what I said. Just remember who really cares about you".

So Eun sat down. She suddenly felt empty and so down. She really did want to take him to her home and considered him as her grandfather. She had no time to buy him a new outfit. So Eun sighed softly. If there was a fate, she  definitely would see him again.

Just remember who really cares about you. His words rang again in her ear. She clenched her fists. Besides Master, who really cared about her? The old man she accidentally met on the road? Suzy? Il Woo? Or him?

Junho face appeared in her mind again. So Eun softly shook her head, then decided to stand up.

Home. Coming back home. She thought.