Mother and Son

Magical Eunya Village

 

Il Woo sat quietly on the ground, near the secret door of the tunnel. He couldn't think of anything clearly at the moment. What did So Eun mean when she mentioned about his real status? How was it related to this secret tunnel? How was it related to his eomi? Was it possible that they secretly had an affair? He wanted to ask eomi right now but he had not enough energy.

- Il Woo, what are you doing here?

He heard the worried voice of his eomi but Il Woo didn't turned back or replied.

- Il Woo ah, what happened? Did you sit here all night?

Hwang Jung Min bent down and examined his face. Il Woo looked up and wearily asked:

- What is it, eomi?

- What is what?

Hwang Jung Min turned to look at where Il Woo pointed. She didn't understand what he meant.

- Over there. Under the grass.

- Il Woo ah, I don't understand. What are you talking about?

Il Woo silently stood up, walked a few steps and then opened the secret door.

- See? - His voice was a bit rude.

Hwang Jung Min stepped back. She trembly said:

- Il Woo... How ... how do you know it? I... well, I don't know ...

- Don't lie to me, Mrs. Bae. Don't lie to me - Il Woo bitterly smiled - I know everything.

Hwang Jung Min tried to calm down herself, hardly said:

- What do you mean everything?

- E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g - Il Woo let the door freely fall down that made a big noise. It caused Hwang Jung Min startling and she seemed to tried not crying - do you want me to say it out?

- Well, I... I didn't intend to hide it, Il Woo ah. I'm so sorry - she approached to him and put her hand on his arm but he stepped back to avoid. That made her trembly again.

Il Woo bent down to caugh when a cold wind blewing through the garden. Hwang Jung Min timidly stretched her hand out but then immediately pulled back:

- It's very cold out here, Il Woo ah. Go back to your room and we...

But Il Woo didn't say a word. He just sat down on the ground like he did before. His face was pale but as cold as ice.

- Well done, you and Bae Seung Yoo. A secret tunnel. An empty house. It's convenient, huh? Are you two very happy huh?

- Please don't say to me in that voice, Il Woo ah. It hurt me much. Do you think that we're comfortable to see you everyday but can not call you our son?

- Your what? - Il Woo looked up, totally astonished at the words he just heard.

- You... - Hwang Jung Min also was surprised like him - why did you say you know everything?

Il Woo gathered his all energy to stand up. He grabbed her arms and asked loudly:

- What did you just say? I'm your son? Your son?

Hwang Jung Min was panic at the anger Il Woo. She just nodded in silence. Il Woo took a deep breath and then sat down at the table. It turned out that his real status which So Eun told him earlier were this way. He clenched his fists. How could he absorb this truth? How could he?

Hwang Jung Min didn't know how much Il Woo knew but perhaps it's the right time to tell him the truth. She glanced at him and then slowly said:

- Il Woo ah, it's all for your sake. Everything we did. When I was married off to Bae family, Bae Dong Gun didn't love me. The only one he loved was the first lady. I was very lonely in this big house. When I met Seung Yoo, he's so kind to me and comforted me whenever I needed a shoulder. I tried, Il Woo ah, I tried so hard to get a little love from Dong Gun but I failed - Hwang Jung Min paused a moment to hold on her tears and then continued - I'm a woman, lonely woman. Do you think what I could do? At last, I was pregnant. I was so nervous but happy at the same time. I wanted to keep the baby eventhough I knew that I would be in trouble. Seung Yoo supported me. He also wanted to have you. Fortunately, the first lady was a generous woman. Dong Gun knew everything and wanted to tell your Grannie but she insisted him not to say anything. When I gave birth to you, the first lady also gave birth to a boy. But her health was not good and she died after a few days. Your Grannie told me to feed their baby. Dong Gun was so upset after the first lady death. He didn't care about the baby and was drunk all day. He hated the baby because he thought that he caused his wife died. And then... we thought of a plan.

- A plan? - Il Woo uttered wearily.

- Yeah, a plan. We wanted you to be the only Master of the Bae family, not just was a second son. Because you and the baby looked almost the same so one day, when the other baby was in fever, we told everyone that my son got an strange disease and died. Because your father was the doctor in our Village - Il Woo grimaced when he heard the word "your father" but still kept silence - then everyone believed him that the disease was dangerous and no one allowed to get close to the baby. After that, you became Bae Il Woo.

- What's about the other baby? You killed him? - Il Woo coldly asked.

- No - Hwang Jung Min shook her head - Do you think we are so cruel? We just brought him away.

- Is there anything else I should know, Mrs. Bae? - Il Woo asked ironically.

She stood in silence and felt so painful when she heard his icy voice. Il Woo looked up and realized that for only a few minutes, from a beautiful and sharp lady, she became old and weakened. He suddenly felt sorry for her. She's his mother anyway and she did everything for his sake no matter how much it hurt. Il Woo softened his voice:

- I'm tired now. Give me a hand.

He stretched out his arm. Hwang Jung Min hastily held his arm in hers and helped him to stand up. The two slowly left the garden in silence. Though Il Woo still kept his face emotionless but Hwang Jung Min felt relief. At least, he finally accepted the truth and didn't ask her to stay away. Tears were well-up in her eyes and she quietly wiped it out.