The Secret Tunnel

Magical Eunya Village

 

 

So Eun heard a soft cough and then a light knock on the door. She hesitated a moment and then stood up, walked over to open. It was Bae Il Woo. The cold wind made his face pale but he still smiled at her:

- Don't worry. No one followed me. It's safe.

- Alright Il Woo. Come in. Ppailli!

As Il Woo walked in, she hastily closed the door and then immediately pour a cup of hot tea, put on the table:

- Drink this to warm up. I'm sorry for bothering you to come here in this weather. But I have no choice.

- No problem. I guessed that there must be something important. You ... looked so tired. Are you sick?

So Eun vaguely smiled and sat down in front of him:

- Ani. It's too cold these days so... What about you? Are you ... - She intended to ask about his health but then she hastily switched to the other question - too busy?

Il Woo shook his head:

- The festival is over. Everything returns to normal. It becomes boring.

Actually Il Woo meant that without her, things got boring. But he was not able to utter such words. But So Eun seemed to understand. She slightly lowered her head and sighed softly:

- Il Woo ah, I indeed have something to tell you. After hearing it, you can decide you believe it or not.

Il Woo was surprised at the way So Eun talking. It's unlike normal. So Eun was always straightforward. But he silently nodded, implied that he understood what she said.

- Actually, I came to Eunya Village to investigate a past story. 18 years ago, Yoon family all died in a great fire.

- Are you really named Yoon? - Il Woo exclaimed.

- Ani - So Eun shook her head - I just followed my Master will. I have never heard Master mentioning any relationship between me and Yoon family. But that's not the main subject I want to tell you. The night before, after leaving the Village, I was back - So Eun paused, wondering if she should tell her and Junho, but then she decided not to mention anything to Junho - I wanted to examine the old wooden house that Madame Bae has rebuilt for Yoon family. Il Woo ah, do you know who did manage building the house?

- Of course I do. I heard that Grannie asked Seung Yoo samchon manage everything related to the house construction.

So Eun nodded:

- I think so. And you don't know that there is a tunnel inside Yoon house?

- I don't - Il Woo was surprised - a tunnel? I've never heard.

- Yes, there is. And I guess the tunnel will connect to your family mansion.

- Really?

- Yes. Fireplace floor in the living room is one door of the tunnel. I'm sure that other door is at somewhere in your house.

- Why do you think that?

- You must find it out by yourself. If you want to know details, ask your eomi. I can not say anything more. It's very important, related to your real status, I ...

- My real status? What do you mean? - Il Woo exclaimed and he coughed badly. When he put down his hand, So Eun saw the red color of blood.

She cried out in panic:

- Your hand... blood ...

But Il Woo paid no attention to it. He used the other hand to grab hers. His voice was trembling slightly:

- Ppailli tell me So Eun. What is so-called my real status?

So Eun gently removed his hand from hers, then pulled out a handkerchief to wipe the blood still on his chin. But he brushed her hand out, staring at her.

- I just said that you should find out by yourself, didn't I? If I say it now, you surely will not believe me, and then do something not good for you and your family. Now you have to listen to me, huh?

Il Woo let go of her hand, though impatient with so many questions in his mind, he was still trying to calm down:

- Alright. So what do you want me to do?

o0o

Not hard to find the door of the tunnel inside the Yoon house. According to So Eun instruction, Il Woo went down to the tunnel and traced back to the other end. In the dark tunnel, there was only the light flickering from the fire that Il Woo carried. The tunnel was wide and high, enough for a few people walk around rather than a temporary path.

No need to be too smart, Il Woo could understand the implications when So Eun asked who managed the construction of the house. It's really an idea of Bae Seung Yoo, he should say. But what's his intention? Why So Eun told him to ask eomi? How was his eomi relate to this? He did not know how to deduce. The tunnel was straight so he shortly felt the cold air. He knew that the other end of the tunnel was in front. The door had not a latch, just pushed slightly to open it.

Whether how the darkness was, he still recognised the place after getting out the tunnel. He quietly shut the door and realized that it was camouflaged by the grass, then no one could see a secret door.

And where it located was the rear garden that everyday he practiced sword art.

The backyard of the Bae Mansion.