74th Friend

Anonymous Friend (친구) - Advice Column

Shy and hurt: So there is this guy I like and I known him for about a 1 year and I had a crush on him and since he is jock the mean ones but I thought he was nice so me of course being stupid I asked him out and his ex girlfriend came up to me and said if I really did I nodded but he came up and yelled in my face no and his friends were making fun of me but it's a new grade now and in gym it's the only time I see him and since he is in the same team as me he looks and stares at me I mean litterly he will just stand there staring at me when I look at him he looks away and always yells once I look at him he stops he know I use to like and to make it worse his locker is across my friend and now he talks to me like nothing happened and is rude to me and takes it as a joke he makes fun of me i laugh it off to show him i am not hurt but how can I tell him I moved on but not tell him straight to his face?

 

Friend: Dear Shy and hurt,

 

We all come across one of those jerks in our lifetime at least once :/ However, it’s not impossible to overcome this little obstacle and show him that you aren’t one to mess with ;]

 

The way I see this is that Mr. High-and-mighty-jock thinks he’s all that just because he got some girl to confess to him. He’s still riding out his high and it’s about time someone kicked him off his high horse, don’t you? I know you don’t want to tell him this straight to his face but until he hears it from you, he’ll never get the message that you no longer like him.

 

Next time him and his friends are teasing you about your previous crush on him, just tell him that “I’m sorry but I don’t like you anymore.” Showing him and those around you that you are mature enough to confront him about it should make people realize that you’re serious and you really are over him. Don’t add anything snarky like, “Ew who would ever like you?!” Because the minute you throw that first insult, all havoc will break loose. Not only that, but the fact that you took such offence to it will make people think that it really hurt you and you still do like him. And that isn’t the message we’re trying to push through to people.

 

A simple, “That was last year, I don’t like you like that anymore” should be sufficient enough to get people to understand that you don’t like him anymore. And if people continue to pester and annoy you about it, try to act mature and not let such immature people affect you. If people see that you don’t care and it’s nothing then they will hopefully follow in your example. It’ll take some time for it to die out but once it does, everything should go back to normal(: And if your friends are willing to help you, get them to try and tell people that you really are over him. Don’t make them scream it to the heavens but if anyone asks them if you like him, just tell them to say that no you don’t. Simple as that, nothing more or less.

 

Sorry I couldn’t reply to your letter sooner Shy and hurt >_< Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year(:

 

~(Chingu) 친구