32nd Friend

Anonymous Friend (친구) - Advice Column

ConcernedBestie: Dear Sasha,
Recently, my friend and I had a fight. I know it's not my place to go and scold her for being so ignorant about her own situation, but I really wanted to warn her of the implications it might have. You see, her boyfriend is one of the most popular guys in our school; he's a year older than us, so he's our senior. Of course, they get all mushy like most couples do; you could just see the affection they have for each other.
Lately, however, my friend has started complaining about how her boyfriend has been ignoring her. I told her that it might not be the case, seeing as how her boyfriend has to work hard in order to graduate from our school that has high academic standards. Then she starts wailing out on me, and frankly, I really don't like crybabies (especially ones who cry over nonsensical things). Then, yesterday, she got into a fight with one of our lowerclassmen for "trying to stick her nose in other people's relationships". I managed to calm her down and talked to her, then that's where our fight comes in.

How can I make her realize that what she's doing won't solve her dilemma with her boyfriend? I'm honestly fed up of repeating everything to her. She just won't listen (with her being so stubborn and childish), and would always make everyone feel bad for chastising her.

I hope you could help me. I really need to make her think things out. Thank you so much! ♥

Friend: Dear ConcernedBestie,

We all have those moments when we finally snap and lose our patience with a friend of ours, it’s human nature. The best thing to do is to learn from our arguments and make sure they don’t happen again. Fear not ConcernedBestie, your friendship is anything but over(:

This is only my opinion but I have a feeling your friend is one of the clingy girlfriend types. After she herself received so much affection from her boyfriend, the sudden withdrawal has taken quite a toll on her. She’s come to a point where her mind is imagining all sorts of situations of why her boyfriend has suddenly gone AWOL (Away Without Official Leave) on her and no girlfriend ever wants to be in that position.

Just like you said so yourself, her boyfriend is probably working hard seeing as it’s now his senior year. She might just need someone to calmly explain it to her that he’s busy worrying about graduating at the moment. Try and get the message across that her boyfriend isn’t neglecting her or any of the sort, he just wants to make sure he finishes high school as I’m sure she would want him to. Tell her to put herself in his shoes. After all, wouldn’t she herself like to graduate one day? If she’s really so worried about their relationship, why hasn’t she talked to him herself? Trying to talk to the person can clear up a lot of things and right now, it seems as if they are both in a huge misunderstanding. Also try to get the point across that just by belittling the lowerclassman, or throwing a hissy fit won’t do her any good.

If she still won’t listen to reason from you, I think she needs to hear it from the only person she probably will listen to – her boyfriend. Tell him that your friend is going through a breakdown and how she worries how you both aren’t spending much time together. If she hears it from him himself, then maybe it’ll calm her nerves down and things should get better from there.

You guys seem to be good friends, seeing as you care so much about her(: So I think that the two of you can overlook this little argument and forgive and forget. I think that your friend should say the first apology because in all honesty, you didn’t do anything wrong. She needs to understand that she needs to take control of her emotions and take matters into her own hands rather than bring all of her problems onto you because complaining about them will get you nowhere. You guys just had a small bump in the road, don’t let it get to you guys(:

Hope everything works out for the two of you(:

~(Chingu) 친구