21st Friend

Anonymous Friend (친구) - Advice Column

TiredDreamer: Well, I mean, I know this isnt life threating and a bit stupid to ask, but, I really dont know what to do.
I guess you can say that I feel hopeless. Truthfully, I dont know what to do with my life anymore. School is starting and I have to get ready for college and such. But, I want to be a singer and I mean, my family says they support me, but I feel like they're just saying that to make me happy and they're not really supporting me. I don't think they even understand what I'm feeling.
But, I mean, I just don't know if I'll make it or not. I want to be a singer because that's always been my dream. And to be honest, I don't want to give it up.
I'm just confuse with my life and the more I think about, things just stack up and at the end of the day, I just feel hopeless and sometimes, I feel like I just want to give up on everything. I feel alone, like really alone, and so sad that I actually get tired of breathing.
What should I do, or even think? I'm just tired of everything and I really feel suffocated right now. Please help.

Friend: Dear TIredDreamer,

We all have those moments where we simply want to give up. It’s just one of those moments in time where everything just seems so, “blah.” But there are ways to get out of it(:

Everyone has their ups and downs, right now you’re just stuck in a hole and having a hard time getting out of it. You should never give up on life because as soon as you do, you might as well have a “game over” sign written across your forehead. We all have dreams for a reason; they’re there to encourage us and keep us alive(: So use yours to your advantage and help climb your way out of that dark crater.

If you yourself don’t even know what you’re feeling, how do you expect those around you to even get a hint of what you’re feeling? Half of our lives are pretty much about finding ourselves and figuring out what kind of person we are. Some people find themselves right away and go on with their lives, others just need some extra time(: There’s nothing wrong with that because when you do, it’ll all be worth it.

If your parents say they support you, chances are that they truly do. You say that they’re only saying that to make you happy but that’s all they can do right now; try and make their daughter/son happy. Parents always want their child’s happiness and if it means supporting them, then that’s just what they’ll do. They’ll be there for you when you fall and help you get right back up. Parents are truly a wonder when it comes to being there for you through thick and thin.

If your dream is to be a singer and you really want it, I don’t see why you shouldn’t try and reach for it(: I mean, what have you got to lose? I’d hate for anyone to regret not trying for their dreams and later in life looking back thinking, “wow, I wish I had done that.” So before you have any regrets, I think you should definitely try and go for it(:

Loneliness is something that nobody really wants to go through with, but I think it’s just a phase for you(: If you constantly focus on how lonely and hopeless you are, then that’s all you’ll ever see. You’ll be so focused on that thought that you won’t be able to see the other wondrous things around you! Take a chance and pay attention to the life surrounding you, you may be surprised with what you find ;)

Try to keep your mind away from the thoughts of hopelessness and loneliness and go out for a change. Offer to hang out with your friends, do something with your family, for Pete’s sake have fun! You have the rest of summer to enjoy yourself before college starts, why shouldn’t you take advantage of the free time you have before all those classes start? Living life to its full potential is something everyone should consider. It doesn’t mean go and do something stupid, like jumping off a cliff with no harness yelling, “YOLO!” No, I mean go and enjoy your life with your loved ones. Kick back and head out to the beach with your friends. Go and have an awesome family BBQ with some relatives. You’ll be so caught up in all that fun that your mind won’t have any time to think of anything like loneliness and hopelessness. Those thoughts will be pushed aside and before you know it, you’ll find yourself out of that dark hole and walking towards a new, higher, and brighter place(: Hope that you won’t feel as suffocated and you’ll be able to breathe easily(:

Good luck with your dream(: Fighting!~

~(Chingu) 친구