61st Friend

Anonymous Friend (친구) - Advice Column

Anonymous: My little sister is getting hit on by a guy. And, i almost killed him. Okay so, We are going to a Chinese school and we were placed in a class with him. In the begin, it wasn't that bad because i barely ever talked to him. He seem rather like the annoying, doesn't-learn-anything kind of guy ( I am not really the person who judge people by their look but, seeing his behavior in class i got soon irritated ) I soon noticed that my sister and he always talk to each other by lunch so, i only warn her(I thought they were just friend and i respected her privacy) But, my best friend (who has experience with boys) said that it seem that he like her. It was just her instinct through. After 'spying' them for a couple of weeks, i knew she was right. I am not the type of Drama queen but, inside i was full of anger and still am. I do not am planning to do something out of nowhere and do something dumb. But, i will not sit and watch what will become of them. So, What should i do?

Friend: Dear Anonymous,

It’s great to know that you’re looking out for your little sister, but I think that she should be left alone and be allowed to deal with this matter on her own. It really is assuring to know that she has an older sister like you to worry about her, but everybody deserves to experience everything by themselves. After all, if you were put into her shoes, would you want your older sister meddling into your life and telling you who you can and cannot hang out with?

She may be your younger sister, but she’s a typical teenage girl just like any other teenager(: She’ll have guys like her and she’ll have guys to like, it isn’t really any of your concern seeing as the guy isn’t doing anything to her that may cause harm. What if she likes him back and he treats her differently than what he may seem to be around you? Maybe he’s always there for her and she has grown some sort of feelings for him too?(: Or maybe he’s just being friendly and this is all a big misunderstanding. You see, the possibilities are endless Anonymous. What you and your friend may see as a potential relationship, could really just be a blossoming of friendship.

If you’re against your little sister having any sort of contact with this boy, then tell her. Don’t force the rule onto her, but let her know that as her older sister, you don’t trust him or you’re having second doubts. As family, every word counts and she should take your words into consideration. Maybe she’ll explain that he’s actually a nice person and things will be cleared up. Or perhaps she’ll follow your instructions and do just that.

In all honesty Anonymous, I think that your sister is perfectly fine and capable of dealing with such matters on her own(: She’ll learn who to befriend and who to ignore on her own within time. As an older sister, even though this may kill you, sometimes the best thing to do is to just stand on the sidelines and look out for one another. Make sure to be there if she falls and be sure to be there to cheer her on if anything great happens(:

Just keep calm and breathe Anonymous(: So sorry I wasn’t able to reply to your letter sooner >< Fighting!~

~(Chingu) 친구