39th Friend

Anonymous Friend (친구) - Advice Column

Ra: I've talked to you before about my friend problem... It helped and as of now one of my best friend(s) is my wingman... You're probably like wingman? What?!
So the school year has started up a couple of days ago and I've been put in all the same classes as this new cute Asian boy.
I don't know if it's fate, love, or just my hormones but I think I love him. He's an angel. He's so sweet and nice and angelic... but he's a womanizer and he doesn't even know it. He has about 10 girls wrapped around his fingers minus me.
I like him a lot.I think about him all the time. Every time I thing about him my cheeks burn, my heartbeat speeds up, and I smile like the goofiest person alive.
He shows signs of liking me back but he kinda friend-zoned me by saying, "I like you as a friend." which makes no sense because I said I hate myself(fatness, hair, etc.) and he said he likes my curves that are in the right place and I'm skinny...
We have lots of skinship moments in school and a lot of people in our school ship us together... I think I'm over thinking everything because we just meant and we're already close.
Plus my wingman/Yeonhyo said I should ask him out, act nice to him/ flirt with him, and try to be his friend.
I want to give up this crush no matter how bright he makes my harsh days on this earth because the girls he has wrapped around his finger are beautiful, popular girls when I just some short, fat-assed, small ed K-pop geek.
Help, oh wise Sasha >///<

Friend: Dear Ra,

Welcome back, always happy to see a familiar name again(: First off, never sell yourself short Ra. So what if you think the other girls are prettier and more popular than you are. Who says that you have no chance? Clearly none of this is written by law and for all you know, you could be the most beautiful one in anyone’s eyes ;) After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I really don’t want to be a kill-joy or anything but Ra, are you sure that this crush is love? So many people go about saying that they love someone to a point where the words “I love you” have lost nearly all of its meaning. Society these days, huh? Maybe you just find him highly attractive and you like him a lot. But I’d really reconsider the whole love thing.

Based on what you’re telling me, this boy is a womanizer because he’s so … perfect. He seems like those kingka’s we would read about on AFF – cute, kind, nice, etc. Again Ra, I never want to crush hopes but I just want to make sure your hopes aren’t set too high. What you take as a huge compliment might just seem like the nice thing to say in his eyes. If someone puts himself/herself down, wouldn’t you say something nice to them to bring them back up? He is clearly a great guy and maybe all those girls surrounding him are in the same boat as you where they’ve all fallen for his innocent charms.

As for the friend zone, I see nothing wrong with that. Lots of guys say that a girl is just a friend, but sometimes it just happens to slip out of their mouths out of habit. I think that it’d be best to start off as friends(: The best relationships starts at that level and once the two of you are close, things can escalate pretty quickly into something more than friendship ;)

Being in the friend zone has its advantages, believe it or not. He’ll feel more relaxed and comfortable around you and he can even spill you some of his secrets ;) Don’t automatically go deep and personal with him on the first day! But revealing small stuff about yourself and showing that you actually care and are there for him can really go a long way, trust me. One day he might think, “Wow. If she’s this good of a friend, she must be a great girlfriend.” Show him that you’re willing to be there for him(:And it seems like you guys are already off to a great start if you have skinship and freely talk amongst yourselves. Your friend Yeonhyo might think that if you go into the friend zone you’ll forever be in the friend zone, but that’s not true. If you really think about it, some of the best and long-lasting relationships start as friends. Once the two of you open up and see each other for who you both really are, then the sky’s your limit(:

Don’t ever put yourself down like that Ra. Calling yourself a “short, fat-assed, small ed K-pop geek” won’t get you anywhere. You think you’re short but the fact of the matter is that you might be the perfect height for someone out there(: You think you’re a geek? One day you’ll find someone with the same interest who’ll think you’re beautiful inside and out(: Don’t put yourself down Ra because truth of the matter is, everyone’s beautiful in their own way(:

Hope everything goes well! Fighting!~

~(Chingu) 친구