My Future Girlfriend: Part 4 (2Kim ft. JangChae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was an annual event for the universities’ modelling clubs to conduct a national selection for Seoul Fashion Week. Many aspirants would join, hoping to have a chance of displaying their charms and walk in a runway facing many critiques, flashes of cameras, and fans. 


Wonyoung was having a shot in the selection. Being SOPA’s pride in the modelling club and training in America last month, she needed the exposure. She would be calm and focused for this moment but for this selection, she was nervous.


She got a text from Minju that she and her friends will watch. Her worries faded lightly because of it. Minju wad always a supportive best friend. However, one thing was still missing. It was evident the way she looked at a picture of her and – 


“Ssamu…” Wonyoung zoomed her side and caressed it like how she caressed her face in the past.


First up. Jang Wonyoung.


Wonyoung puts her phone down and walked towards the side of the stage. She had a peek and saw Minju. She brought Eunbi, Hyewon, Yena, and Yujin. 


“Where are you, Ssamu?” She mumbled.


Wonyoung was given the cue to walk and she had to focus. She glimpsed at a cheering Minju and a mesmerized Yujin, with the rest of their friends applauding for her deliverance. The audience thought Wonyoung was stunning as the rest of her club members felt nervous. As much as Wonyoung delivered excellent walks and poses, her emotions didn’t.


As a result, she almost tripped on her sandals but luckily, she flawlessly delivered a different pose. Critiques noticed it but the audience thought it was amazing. As Wonyoung posed at the center for the second time, her heart was light as she saw Chaewon at the very back, leaning on the wall and arms crossed.


You really came…


It was then that Wonyoung smiled, getting the audience’s cheers. She did cute poses and even blew a flying kiss...


…which was actually aimed at Chaewon, walking to where their friends sat. 


Nonetheless, she delivered her last post and walked back to the backstage. She sighed in relief as she rested on her chair. Just then, their president came.


“Minhyun-oppa~” Wonyoung greeted. “What brought you here?”


“I’m modelling last. I have time to talk.” Minhyun spoke and sat down next to her. “Your walk was off at one point. What happened?”


Wonyoung sighed. “I got a little distracted.”


“Hopefully, we have a representative for our school.” He added. “In case you won’t get picked, you can return to America to train.”


“I’ll get picked, Oppa. I’m planting the seed.”


Minhyun just nodded and returned to his place in the line. Wonyoung suddenly became eager for this chance. 


She didn’t want to go to America and leave Chaewon all over again.


+++


Chaewon did her victory cheer as her team of four won a CSGO game. Hyewon and Yena shared hi-fives while Minju gave her a thumbs-up.


“Impressive, Team IZ*ONE.” Chaeyeon clapped as the rest of her team had various reactions. “You beat Team I.O.I that has an extra person.”


“You four should compete for the e-games tournament.” Mina added.


“I can’t be part of it, Chaeyeon-nim.” Chaewon spoke while the rest shook their heads. “Some of the guys are better than me.”


Team I.O.I was having none of it, leaving their president to click a tongue. “Why not? You weren’t the best a first but you’ve improved, Chaewon!”


“You’re even better than Doyeon now.” Yoojung added, getting a playful nudge from her.


“Take it as an experience.” Chaeyeon spoke again.


Hyewon and Yena persuaded Chaewon to join whereas Minju encouraged her by holding her hand. And with Minju’s pleading eyes, Chaewon nodded in agreement.


“Alright.” Chaeyeon clapped. “The rest will compete in the minor competitions. Team I.O.I and Team IZ*ONE will compete for the two major competitions.”


“Games?” Chaewon asked.


“League of Legends and Tekken.”


Chaewon wanted to celebrate. LOL was fine but console games such as Tekken weren’t her thing. Minju would because she worried too much. Hyewon and Yena because Minju was teasing her.


“Don’t fret, Chaewon. We have months of practice. We’re also going to play console games in the next meeting.” Chaeyeon assured then yelled. “Alright, everyone! Shut down your units!”


Chaewon shuts hers first and waited for her friends. Hyewon and Yena caught up as Minju was right on their tail. 


“Shall we have dinner again?” Hyewon asked, causing Yena to wheeze.


“We can…” Chaewon chuckled as she wrapped an arm around Minju. “…but it’ll only be Minju and me.”


Minju perked up. Hyewon and Yena cooed before running away. Hyewon even yelled at them to spare the details the next day, leaving Chaewon to chuckle and Minju turn into a shocked Pepe. Nonetheless, they bid the 99z duo farewell.


Her heart was the most shocked in this moment. Her inner self wanted this despite the off-limit thing.

 
Calm the down, Kim Minju.


“So…we’re eating tteokbokki and fishcakes again?” 


“I’ve got something better.” Chaewon smiled and lent a hand. “Let’s go?”


Minju hesitated to hold that hand but as she did, she was starting to get inside a world of true happiness.


She’ll shrug the uncertainty off, just this once.


+++


Chaewon couldn’t help but stare. Minju was having a wonderful time eating pasta and pizza. Chaewon saw Minju as the calm one but she never thought she was dynamic with simple pasta and pizza. Minju noticed it and almost choked.


“Here.” Chaewon poured her a glass of Pepsi. 


Minju thanked her and drank. She ate calmly this time yet Chaewon shook her head.


“What?” Minju pouted as pasta dangled on .


“Eat some more.” Chaewon served her another slice of pizza. 


Minju thanked her again and resumed eating. Chaewon joined her and they had a wonderful dinner together.


+++


After their dinner, Chaewon and Minju walked around. They stopped by various shops to look at products until Chaewon stopped at a shoe store, eyes fixed on a pair of mint and white shoes.


“That looks nice.” Minju spoke, joining her in looking.


Chaewon pulled Minju and they got inside to check on the pair. Minju wondered what Chaewon was planning until she got her card out.


“You’re buying the shoes?” Minju asked.


“I’m buying for the both of us.” Chaewon said. “Have a seat, Min.”


Minju was shocked but she froze as Chaewon lets her try first. She felt Chaewon’s hands hold her foot and putting a shoe on. An act like that made Minju’s heart pound.


“A perfect fit.” Chaewon grinned. “The shoes look good on your feet.”


Minju giggled because of how wholesome this is. Chaewon got the same pair for her size and they went to pay for both pairs.


“Ssamu, do you think this is too much?” 


“I insist. You’ve been helping me a lot.” Chaewon spoke and gave her the bag with her shoes inside. “Consider this as a gift from me.”


Minju thanked her again and they walked out again. They passed by a crossing, only for a car to skid close to the sidewalk, aiming towards a puddle. Chaewon had quicker reflexes and shielded Minju from being wet. 


Having Chaewon close to her was killing her heart from too much beating. Looking up to see Chaewon’s smile made it worse.


“Are you okay?” Chaewon asked, her hair dripping.


“I should be the one asking you that!” Minju spat as she scurried her bag for her towel.


The long white article was found and Minju made an attempt to dry Chaewon off unbeknownst to her conscience. Her hands scuffled Chaewon’s hair dry as she dabbed her shoulder and back before returning to fix her hair. Minju tucked the strands away, realizing that Chaewon was too beautiful for her own good. Even if Chaewon had messy hair, she was still pretty.


Minju froze. Chaewon had a very fine face. Her eyes were sparkling, brighter compared to the blank ones she used to have. Even if there was muss or fuss in their date, seeing Chaewon happy made Minju happy.


After the wet fest, they sat on a bench to rest before returning home. It was close to a veranda with a wonderful view of Seoul. They looked at the glimmering city lights and wowed.


“This feels nice.” Chaewon commented.


Minju agreed with a nod. As much as this time was fun, she had questions. Which is why, she used the chance to ask. “Ssamu, why are we doing this?”


“Doing what?”


This.” Minju explained. “Out of all people you want to spend the evening with, why me?”


Chaewon expected this. It was unnatural of her to have dinner with Minju alone – let alone buy her shoes. But there was something inside her that made Chaewon’s blank day turned bright.


She was thankful for this moment. She hated the dark for so long. She wanted to be in the light again.


“You made me brighter, Min.” Chaewon spoke. “To be honest with you, this evening was like my usual evenings with Wonyoung.”


“Oh.” Minju spoke. “Did this give you war flashbacks?”


“Of course not.” Chaewon chuckled. “I know that this all reminds me of Wonyoung but this is different. I felt brighter, more open, and more understanding. I owe it to you, Min.”


Minju blushed. Chaewon’s look showed no hesitation as she spoke. “I’m lucky for this, Ssamu. I never thought I played a significant role in your life.”


Chaewon couldn’t agree more. She gently draped a new arm around Minju. “Thanks for tonight, Min. This was the best evening of my life.”


Minju couldn’t believe it. Chaewon draping and arm around her and finding out about being a big help towards Chaewon’s happiness was happiness for her. She wouldn’t want to trade it to the world and it was a memory worth treasuring…


…even if her conscience never allowed itself to fall.


“Mine too,” was all Minju said as the possibility of having a future girlfriend might turn into reality.