Someday Soon: Part 3 (JoYuriz)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The 2020 Billboard Music Awards was an awaited event by the worldwide audience. Famous artists from around the world are in attendance and with the pandemic, the venue is limited to the artists and their managers. The venue resembled a Broadway theater as the artists’ seats had large gaps for social distancing, its lights illuminating in different colors for different performers. For Trinity, they were suited in white and their hair was down, sitting on their assigned seats as they went along the program and were witnessing a famous rapper performing.

“That’s dope~” Yena bopped her head while clapping.

“How could you be hyped about this?” Chaewon asked. “The winner for Top Social Artist and Top Billboard 200 will be announced afterward and after that, we’ll be performing.”

Yuri was neutral with it and watched silently. One staff got to their spot and they stopped to greet him.

“Greetings, Trinity. You’re on in a few minutes. Please follow me.”

The trio was on the staff’s tail and they walked backstage. Manager Kwon was already there and was smiling, helping the staff to prepare Trinity for their performance. The backstage was prepped with dressing rooms, had dark routes towards various areas, and had a lot of staff walking around to do the preparations. As Trinity was prepped up, the stage manager got to them and told the transition.

“Actress Michelle Yeoh is announcing the winners for both awards now. After the winners’ speeches will be a video presentation. During the presentation, you’ll be escorted towards your spots.” She showed a map of the stage. “Miss Kim will pass through the left staircase, Miss Choi on the right, and Miss Jo will stand on the pedestal. You only have the video’s time to get to the positions so make sure to keep your paces steady.”

“Yes.” The three nodded.

“Okay. Standby.” The stage manager spoke as the same staff that escorted them from their seats was there to them again.

The trio followed her as their consciences were shocked. With the announcement and their preparation, it only meant one thing.

“Top Social Artist and for Top Billboard 200 goes to…Trinity. Congratulations!”

The trio walked to the stage and headed towards the center. The actress gave their two trophies and the trio was faced by an applauding crowd. Their faces showed shock and it took time for them to say anything. As the leader, Chaewon spoke first, thanking their family, their company staff, and their fans. Yena regained her composure and got to say something, even hiccupping that made the audience laugh. Yuri was the last to say her part of speech, speaking about a promise that they’ll continue to improve on themselves as artists.

“We never expected to win any of the awards – let alone win both. We want to thank everyone for their undying support.” Yuri spoke as she bowed. “We’ll become better artists in the future and as the group’s center, I’ll become someone who does her best at everything or dies trying. Thank you.”

The applaud returned, just in time for the stage manager to voice out their queues towards their earpieces. They got to the backstage and separated from there, following the transitions until they got to their spots. Surrounded by darkness and hearing cheers from the crowd, Trinity felt nervousness and excitement mix in their emotions, their minds eager to perform well.

The first spotlight shone on Yuri and she sang the first line of their song, delivering the lines with her heart as the crowd applauded softly. But as the second line and second spotlight were on cue, Yena’s voice was heard but she wasn’t on her spot. It was also the same for Chaewon’s case, leaving Yuri all alone on the stage. During the performance, Yuri heard something from her earpiece.

Yuri? It’s Manager Kwon. There were last-minute changes. Chaewon and Yena were off to really serious emergencies. We have their voices and the presentations backed up but you have to perform the song yourself.

Yuri didn’t know what to feel but she obeyed her manager’s words and sang. She could see the audience’s questionable reactions; some whispering while others walking away, causing her legs to shake beneath her white dress and her voice to crack in one note before singing properly again. This became a crisis for Yuri but as the center and the only one on the stage, she had to go with the flow and perform her best.

In the end, she belted her high notes and finished the song alone, hearing the applaud from the audience. As the lights were off as a transition, Yuri got crossed and stormed towards the backstage, pushing some people out of the way and venting her frustration as she got to their dressing room.

“Yuri!” Manager Kwon returned from the sudden assignment. “Yuri, I’m so sorry about that – “

“Where were they?!” Yuri stood up and yelled the question out. “What happened back there, Manager?!”

“Chaewon’s mother came and took her away. Yena was off for a sudden bathroom break but she didn’t return.”

“Why didn’t you stop them?!” Yuri spat again. “It could’ve waited until the performance was over! Do you know how embarrassing and nerve-wracking it was adjusting to the last-minute changes and singing alone?!”

“I tried. CEO Lee even came to convince Chaewon’s mother but it was no use.” Manager Kwon hugged Yuri out of comfort. “I’m so sorry about this flaw. This shouldn’t have happened. You did well out there and handled the situation like a professional.”

Yuri wanted to pat herself on the back for her resilience but she ended up crying in her manager’s arms. Going along an unplanned action will always be nerve-wracking, resulting in one being susceptible to mistakes. The BMA was supposed to be an anticipated event for the trio, a breakthrough in their singing careers, and history made by their hard work. But events came out of nowhere; the leader was sent off by her mother, the eldest was gone like a bubble, and the center was left to shoulder their feelings alone.

The dream of becoming the best artists they wanted to be was ignored by their hubris.

+++

FRESH TRIO TRINITY WON AND TURNED SOLO AT BMAs

TRINITY: A TRIO OF DISGRACE

TRINITY’S JO YURI PULLS OUT HUMILIATING PERFORMANCE AT BMAs

Those were some of the headlines that popped out of the newspapers, days after the BMAs. The shows were harsher as they showed interviews from other artists,  fans, and haters.

Was that even a trio? I only saw a soloist.

I’ve lost my respect for Kim Chaewon and Choi Yena. Jo Yuri saved the group. They should disband as a trio if they’re going to show this kind of behavior and let Yuri go solo.

It was an act. Jo Yuri is stealing the spotlight. Must be a perk of being the group’s center.

Manager Kwon shuts the TV off and faced the trio silently. The vibrance and seriousness they usually deliver were replaced with anger and fear. The members returned after they were called by CEO Lee for a meeting and were waiting at her office. The company was having their meeting about the trio first and the agenda was the reason why everyone was angry and scared.

The company was conducting a meeting on whether to let the group continue their career or let them disband.

“Yuri…” Yena reached a hand towards the crying center. “Yul, I’m sorry – “

“Don’t touch me.” Yuri glared and moved away. “You should know better for leaving like that.”

“She’s right, Yena.” Chaewon maintained an angry looked, limbs crossed while sitting on the table.

“And you think you’re not at fault with this, Leader?” Yena sarcastically asked. “You had to become submissive towards your mother again.”

“Screw it, you two!” Yuri spat, silencing the older members. “Both of you are at fault!”

The doors opened and CEO Lee returned from the meeting. They bowed at her yet their nervousness was evident from their shaking limbs. She lets everyone sit down and got to her seat, facing them.

“I am disappointed in all of you. Your performance at the BMAs is all over the news and it’s mostly getting negative reviews from the public.” CEO Lee started. “Manager Kwon and Yuri did their part but you two…” She pointed at Chaewon and Yena. “…you didn’t take the responsibility seriously.”

“Cut me some slack, boss,” Chaewon interjected. “I didn’t plan that out. It’s my mother’s fault to take me away. The only fault I have was that I obeyed her like a submissive dog.”

“She was a handful. I tried stopping both of you but she’s using her authority to get what she wants. What a cheap move…” CEO Lee scoffed. “What’s your disposition, Yena? Where did you go? Why weren’t you with Yuri?”

“I wasn’t feeling well, boss.”

“Ridiculous.” Chaewon rolled her eyes.

“I’m serious, Kim Chaewon!” Yena got up and yelled. “If it were the case that I performed unwell, I’ll ruin it!”

“You’re just making excuses!” Chaewon got up and faced Yena.

“Enough.” CEO Lee spat as Yuri and Manager Kwon broke them off. “I won’t allow arguments in my office!”

Chaewon and Yena returned to their seats, with Yuri in between them. Manager Kwon returned to CEO Lee’s side.

“Why did you bring us here, boss?”

“I’ve had a meeting with the board and with the staff.” CEO Lee began. “Manager Kwon and I will be giving the word to you about your career. Whatever the verdict, you need to be accountable for your faults and be open-minded about this discussion.”

The trio returned to their angry and fearful states; limbs shaking and hearts pounding like a door that’s forced to be open. Yena was lowering her head, Yuri bore her tears, and Chaewon shuts her eyes.

The next words that came out of CEO Lee’s mouth made them feel emotions that could scar their lives forever.