Affianced Rivals: Part 4 (JangChae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was another day of practice for the fencing team. Chaewon’s hand was almost healed and she managed to train with the team – with supervision from their Coach and Wonyoung, of course. With the recovery, Chaewon became more speedy during her bouts. Wonyoung was still good at her parries but her ripostes improved greatly.


After the training, the relaxing showers, and the announcement of a day-off, the fencing team went on their separate ways. Chaewon and Wonyoung did the same thing, walking in different directions and taking different buses. Nonetheless, they met at the same intersection and walked to their home together.


“Ah…the training was tiring.” Chaewon streched her limbs.


“Does your hand still hurt?” Wonyoung asked, holding her right hand.


“It’s manageable.” Chaewon answered. “I’m practicing my ambidexterity so I can hold the swords with either hand.”


Wonyoung pecked Chaewon’s hand and the latter blushed lightly. Wonyoung held that hand until the got inside their home. They put their stuff down and slumped on their sofa bed together.


“You should shower first, darling.” Chaewon spoke.


“I won’t be long.” Wonyoung spoke back, leaving a kiss on Chaewon’s cheek.


Wonyoung got their bags and went up their room, leaving Chaewon to lie down on their sofa bed to stretch her limbs. Wonyoung got down an hour later and Chaewon wondered about what she wore.


“Hey. That’s my shirt.” Chaewon mumbled.


“But I love this.” Wonyoung mumbled back and slumped next to her. “Let me wear it. Please?”


Chaewon nodded and got up to have her turn on the shower. Wonyoung wanted to kiss her but Chaewon rushed to the bathroom before Wonyoung could lay a hand on her.


“Don’t shower for too long!” Wonyoung yelled before slumping on the sofa bed.


She got her phone, giggling as she scrolled through her gallery to see her pictures of Chaewon – from her baby pics to pics of her at a fencing competition back in elementary. Wonyoung cherished every moment she had with Chaewon. She would’ve picked someone to marry but she was grateful that her arranged marriage was with someone she truly loved.


She couldn’t wait to finish college and work. It may be a while before it happens but she was willing to accomplish that with Chaewon and be her wife.


The doorbell rang and Wonyoung lazily opened it, shocked to see Yuri and Yujin. Not only that, Yena and Minju were with them.


“Eh? What are you guys doing here?” Wonyoung asked, still shocked.


“Mind us for the sudden arrival, Won. It’s an emergency.” Yujin spoke as she and Yuri went in first.


Yena followed them as Minju remained by the door, whispering to Wonyoung. “Is Ssamu around?”


“Yes. She’s having a shower.” Wonyoung whispered back, worried. “This better be less than an hour.”


“Don’t worry. I’ll distract them.”


“What are you guys whispering?” Yena asked.


“Nothing.” The two spoke and sat down.


“What brings you guys here again?” Wonyoung asked.


“Well…we heard some gossip from the school.” Yuri spoke. “It tackled you and Chaewon.”


“We came with the Daengdaengz to talk about it. Minju and I are worried about Ssamu as much as they are worried about you, Won.” Yena spoke while pointing at the canine duo.


“Let’s get this straight.” Wonyoung spoke. “Listen, guys…thank you for your concerns. If Kim was here, she’d be thankful too. I want you guys to know that I’m not affected by this. Like, nobody should give a about other people’s lives.”


“Language, Won.” Yujin spoke.


“Let me rephrase. All I’m saying is that these rumors won’t affect my standing. I’m sure Kim feels the same way.” Wonyoung spoke again. “The Interschool Olympics is around the corner and we have no time for gossip.”


Yujin and Yuri were relieved that Wonyoung hugged them tight for their concern. She shook hands with Yena and Minju and told them that Chaewon would feel the same way as her.


“You guys are the best, really. You came all this way to tell me that?”


“Yeah. We might head to Chaewon’s house later and tell her about this,” said Yena.


“Hey. That’s a cool mint shirt, Won.” Yuri touched the article. “Where did you buy it?”


“I borrowed it.” Wonyoung shrugged as she used her phone. 


“From who?” Yujin asked.


“From Chaewon.”


Minju lets out an ‘eep’ whereas the trio were shocked and frozen, mouths agape where bugs can get inside.


“What was that name…again?” Yujin asked.


“Chaewon. Kim Chaewon.”


It hit Wonyoung like a watermelon was thrown close to her head and she froze with the others because of what she spoke. To make matters worse –


“Darling? Where did you put my sweatshirt?”


Minju turned around, looking away as she face-palmed. Yena had her ducky lips agape and if she drank juice, it will spill on the floor. Yujin and Yuri reacted the most as Yuri stuttered while pointing at Chaewon. “W-Why is s-she in y-your h-house?!”


Chaewon gulped of what’s happening as Wonyoung glared at her. Somehow, they understood each other by speaking through their minds.


Won, what the heck are they doing here?!


Why did you get down and yell that question, Ssamu?!


I didn’t know they will be coming! You should’ve given me a heads-up, Won!!


I didn’t know that they were coming, Ssamu! They came here for an emergency!!


“You guys must be joking – ahahaha!” Yena laughed it out and talked to the others. “Maybe they stayed in one house because they need to raise their rivalry for the Interschool Olympics!”


“Y-You have a point, Yena!!” Yuri joined her and they laughed together. “It’s not like those dating rumors are true.”


Chaewon raised an eyebrow, leaving Yujin and Minju to look at each other worriedly and leaving Yena and Yuri to shut up. Wonyoung was just as disappointed for this sudden mess but there was no point in denying. Chaewon got to them and sat beside Wonyoung. She draped an arm around her and said, “So what if the rumors are true? So what if we’re actually a future married couple?”


“W-Wait!” Yujin yelped. “Does that mean – “


“Yeah!” Chaewon patted Wonyoung’s head. “My rival in school is my future wife!”


Yuri, Yujin, and Yena reacted again. Wonyoung giggled and nodded, leaving Yuri and Yena to faint while Yujin and Minju caught them.


“The time has finally come, huh?” Minju asked.


“Hold up! You knew?!” Yujin rracted again.


“I’m Chaewon’s first cousin. Of course, I know.” Minju answered. “What about you? How could you not know? Aren’t you Wonyoung’s cousin?”


“We’re distant cousins, Min.” Wonyoung spoke. “Both of our mothers are cousins. The Ahns haven’t heard that side of the news.


“Darling, did you know that Minju here is to be betrothed to one of your Ahn cousins?” Chaewon teased, leaving Minju to yelp.


“Really, darling?” Wonyoung joined her. “Technically, Yujin is my only cousin in the Ahn family – “


“Shut up, guys!” Yujin was just as flustered as Minju. “Minju and I are not the main topic here! You two better explain everything!”


Chaewon and Wonyoung looked at each other and were caught red-handed. As much as they need to talk, the fainted soulmates were still out cold.


“Maybe when Yuri and Yena wake up.” Chaewon suggested as she dialed a number. “How about we settle this with pizza and pasta?”


+++


Chaewon and Wonyoung were at the end of the dining table, sitting next to each other and eating pizza and pasta. Yujin and Minju were on the left side whereas the now conscious Yuri and Yena were on the right side. Both pairs joined the couple in eating and drinking while their eyes peer at them like they were hawks.


Chaewon and Wonyoung try to ease the tensions through playing the victims, all the while their hands were linked under the table. Yujin raised an  eyebrow as she saw that, Yuri joined in while drinking Coke, Yena was a curious duck while eating pizza, and Minju was in her own world enjoying both.


“I can’t believe this.” Yuri spoke first. “I feel betrayed, Jang Wonyoung.”


“Say that again but slowly.” Yujin added. “What happened, Won? Since when did you guys get together?”


“Well, both of our families were close even before the Joseon dynasty. It’s a family tradition.” Wonyoung answered. “We were affianced since we were in our mother’s wombs. We stayed in one house since junior high and we got to know each other and developed our feelings from there.”


“Are you like, childhood friends?” Yena asked. “So this happened even before we became classmates?”


“In a way, Yen. Won and I were together most of the time. Our parents thought it was one way to settle a better result in the betrothal.” Chaewon answered this time. “As Won said, it happened since we were in our mothers’ wombs.”


“The rivalries were a way to hide them. Our families wanted it confidential so it won’t disrupt our personal lives. We fight each other in the eyes of the public but we truly love each other,” said Wonyoung.


“True.” Chaewon added as she showed their linked hands with their rings. “I even had feelings for Wonyoung my whole life.”


Yena and Yuri were shocked. Yujin was starting to understand whereas Minju was still in her own world, enjoying the food.


“Yah…” Yuri spat. “So we’ve been rooting this rivalry to find out that the rumors are true? And you went through it without telling us, your best friends?!”


“Pft. Exclude me.” Minju finally spoke. “I was always supportive towards them.”


“You knew?!” Yena and Yuri gasped.


Minju repeated her answer from before, shutting them up. “If I were you guys, I’d never give a damn about what people will react. As best friends of the best fencers in our school, we must always support them in every endeavor they face.”


“Well, the rivalry would make sense. No wonder…” Yujin sighed. “Aish, what kind of a cousin am I? I should’ve known…”


“Maybe your family knows yet your forgot it. You’re usually forgetful, AhnYu.” Wonyoung spoke.


“I should’ve known too, especially in the way you look at Chaewon,” said Yuri.


“Yeah. Me too. Ssamu always had a different look towards Wonyoung.” Yena added. “But still…why did YOU THREE keep it from us?”


Minju almost spits her food as Yena mostly pointed at her.


“The duck has a point, you two.” Yujin crossed her arms with Yuri. “We’re your best friends. We’d understand, we’d defend you from the gossipers, and we’d never tell the secret if it really needs to be hidden.”


“Yet you didn’t tell us…” Yuri maintained her stance and Yena finally joined them.


Minju stopped eating and decided to go to the bathroom. Chaewon and Wonyoung understood their plights and felt guilty.


“You got so hyped up with the rivalry. We didn’t want to become the betrayers.” Wonyoung pouted. “Plus our families told us not to share, even towards best friends.”


“The rivalry was fun and all but at the end of the day, we’ll always support what you guys want.” Yena spoke. “If you want to be friends, we wouldn’t mind.”


“We wouldn’t even mind that you two are affianced as long as you’re all happy with each other.” Yuri added. “And that you love each other, of course.”


“I never thought my cousin was a great liar.” Yujin chuckled.


“Don’t say that, AhnYu – “


“And you are defending her as a future husband, which is not the right time.” Yujin spoke and Chaewon shuts up.


“AhnYu, Yul…I’m sorry if I didn’t have the courage to be honest about this. I was doing it for my family, for Ssamu, and for myself. It was a mistake not to put you two in the picture and for that, I’m sorry.” Wonyoung bowed.


“I’m sorry as well, Yen. I should’ve told you.” Chaewon spoke.


A scream disrupted them then a toilet’s flush came after. Minju breathed and washed her hands by the sink. 


“You better spray the bathroom, Min.” Chaewon spoke.


“I did, Ssamu. I heard everything.” Minju sat back down. “I deserve an apology too. I had to go through the pit of lies for both of your sakes, also because the Kim family can be very strict.”


“Of course. I’m sorry, Min.”


Minju would’ve accepted it but she smirked. “Apologies aren’t enough.”


The trio agreed, crossing their arms like her. Wonyoung hid like a scared bunny and Chaewon comforted her. “What must we do to be forgiven?”


“There’s four of us so you must accomplish each task will give to you.” Minju started. “First, you’ll treat us dinner every day, starting today. Each of us will decide our orders and you two will pay. You two can’t decide for yourselves so you have to eat what we decide.”


“Do you want us to empty our cards?”


“Are the cards of the Jang and Kim families ever empty?” Minju asked Chaewon back then chuckled.


“Noted.” Chaewon sighed as Wonyoung comforted her.


“Second, you will face the society of our school by fusing our friendship. No more rivalries and no more sitting at separate tables. We shall build our friendship and not give a damn about what the school says about you two.” Yena spoke.


“Oh, we’ll take that wholeheartedly.” Wonyoung agreed as Chaewon gave a thumbs-up.


“Third, you must win the future Interschool Olmypics.” Yuri spoke. “The usual school routine will be halted so all of us can watch the players play. As the best players of fencing, you guys better get gold medals together. All of us will come to see you first-hand.”


Chaewon and Wonyoung felt heavy because of that responsibility. Nonetheless, they took note of it.


“Lastly, never ever keep secrets from us again. Be honest and transparent with your reasoning because we’ll always do out best to understand. We’ll always respect whatever decision is best…alright?!” Yujin snapped.


Chaewon and Wonyoung agreed to everythind and bowed for forgiveness. The four couldn’t keep a harsh façade anymore and hugged them. They even spoke their awwws as Wonyoung and Chaewon were relieved to share their love towards them.


The affianced rivalry was off as they decided to be truthful to themselves and to their loved ones.


+++


Wonyoung huffed through her mask as she draws her foil towards her opponent. She waited for the cue as the clock was eager to tick its last seconds, giving them the chance to strike and settled their tied scores.


It was the Interschool Olympics final fencing competition for individual foil. Wonyoung was the representative of their school and did well. Her opponent was also good but she would never let her score be beaten. Now, they were tied 12-12.


Either beat the score or draw it, she thought.


The cue started and Wonyoung became careful. Ten seconds passed by too fast but Wonyoung did her parries well and at the last second, she did a riposte and got the 13th point, concluding the game. Wonyoung took off her mask and cheered. The fencing team applauded for her, especially Chaewon.


The awarding was done immediately. Wonyoung was at the center of the pedastal, showing her gold medal and thanking the supporters. She saw their friends cheering with their family and motioned. “One down, one to go!”


“Congratulations to the winners.” The MC spoke. “Next is the final fencing competition for individual sabre.”


Chaewon gulped as she prepared while holding a bouquet. Wonyoung got to them and welcomed Chaewon in her embrace. The fencing team adored the sight, even the spectators.


“For you, darling.” Chaewon gave the bouquet of pink roses. 


“Thank you, darling.” Wonyoung spoke then cupped her cheek. “Win for our loved ones and for me. And be careful with your hand.”


Chaewon nodded and got to the piste. The equipment was worn and she held the sabre with her right hand. She saluted her opponent and they stanced by the en-garde lines. As the cue was spoken, Chaewon breathed and moved like lightning.


The sabre was the fastest discipline in fencing as every chance of scoring a point happens in less than a second. Time ticked as each fencer scored more points. Chaewon maintained good footwork but as half of the time passed, her right hand was giving in. Luckily, her opponent took a break because of a cramp. Chaewon shared that break and her right hand went limp.


“Ssamu…” Wonyoung got an hot pack and went to her future husband.


Coos rang around the arena when Wonyoung mended Chaewon’s right hand. The couple was adorable and it even became one of the highlights in the tournament.


“I can do this, Won.” Chaewon assured her. “I’ll use my left hand this time.”


“Are you sure?”


“I’m sure. Besides…” Chaewon got up and held her sabre. “…we owe our loved ones this tournament. We have to win.”


The opponent returned to the piste. Wonyoung stole a kiss on Chaewon’s cheek before putting her mask on. Chaewon became driven and got to her spot, stancing again before facing her opponent.


Using her left hand was fine but it was less handy compared to her right. That didn’t stop Chaewon from fighting back and earning points as much as she could, leaving them tied to scores 29-29.


“Ten seconds…” Chaewon huffed and held her sabre high.


Each second gained them points alternatively. The last second became the as each drew their sabres at the same time.


The green side lit up first and coincidentally, it was Chaewon’s side.


The whole arena cheered. Chaewon removed her mask, puts her sabre down, and screamed happily at the top of her lungs. She raised her arms like a V for victory and she yelled at her friends. “We got gold medals!!”


The awarding was done as well. Chaewon slowly climbed to the center and got her gold medal. Wonyoung got herself a bouquet for Chaewon and waited by the center. As Chaewon was finished, she tackled the girl for a hug and kissed her in front of the whole audience.


They got positive reactions and as they broke, they hugged each longer than expected. The fencing team gathered around them as their loved ones caught up to congratulate them. 


The affianced rivals weren’t afraid to show their love anymore. It was a promise for their best friends, an act of courage for their families, and a new step of love for themselves. 


Oh, how happy they were beneath their sweaty features and cramped attires. Nonetheless, they finally put the affianced rivalry down the drain.


+++


Chaewon and Wonyoung huffed after a bout. They may have won the fencing competition altogether, that wasn’t the end. There was still the selection for Korea National Sports University in fencing and their Coach was pushing them to train again so they have a better chance of getting in.


“Coach isn’t giving us a break.” Chaewon stretched her limbs. “My hand might get broken again.”


“Same with my leg.” Wonyoung spoke. “Let’s have another bout.”


Chaewon nodded and stanced. The couple shared parries with their épées and shared points. Wonyoung was about to flick her sword when she drew closer to Chaewon and they fell on the piste. Wonyoung was at the bottom while Chaewon was on top.


The couple laughed of how clumsy they were but Wonyoung stopped to cup Chaewon’s face and kiss her cheek. Chaewon froze and slowly looked at Wonyoung.


Chaewon thought she was lucky to have the most beautiful fencer for a future wife. Oh, how she wanted to get married to her already. Wonyoung felt the same and they shared smiles before getting up.


“I’m not done yet.” Wonyoung pulled her closer again.


“But Coach might scold us – “


“She’s not here.” Wonyoung added and inched closer.


Chaewon watched Wonyoung close her eyes and pucker her lips. Chaewon gulped but mimicked her movements – 


“Get a room, you two!” Their Coach returned. “And give me two bouts!”


Chaewon and Wonyoung released, blushing. Nonetheless, they grabbed their swords and continued to spar.


They were affianced rivals before but they hoped to be truly affianced through marriage soon.