When in Sokcho: Part 1 (KangBi ft. SsamYul)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was April; the beginning of summer. An older classy woman was walking inside a building, holding a little girl’s hand as her feet waddled. Many people greeted them while ogling at the little companion. They were off to a room to settle something. Once they arrived, both sat down on the vacant chairs in front of the desk.

“Hello.” The elder bowed as the little girl followed, almost wobbly.

“Good morning, Mrs. Kang.” A man in a suit greeted her then looked at the little girl next to her. “Hello, little one. What’s your name?”

The brown-haired girl with cute bangs whined and hid on the older one’s back. She got patted by the elder while introduced her. “This is Jo Yuri, my daughter.”

Yuri was encouraged to shake hands with the man but hid deeper into the elder’s jacket. The man chuckled and resumed their formal talk.

“As the name implies, welcome to the AYLI Agency. The acronym stands for As You Like It, where our objective is to send you on a trip that you want.” He spoke. “Is there any place you want to go?”

“Hmm…maybe Busan?” The elder looked at her daughter. “What do you think, Yul?”

“Busan?” Yuri asked back. “Wasn’t that our previous hometown, Mommy?”

“What place do you want to go, Yuri?” The man asked.

“Beach!” She raised enthusiastically. “Even if it isn’t Busan, I would like to go on a beach.”

The man nodded and gave options for them that had the best beaches. Yuri would pick what she wanted and naturally, the elder would agree in a heartbeat.

“Mommy Hyewon, I want to go here~” Yuri pointed to a beach in Jeju Island.

“Yul, that’s expensive. Mommy can’t afford that.” Hyewon sighed.

“You can, Mommy! You’re a businesswoman and a lawyer~!!”

Hyewon face-palmed as the man excused himself so the mother and daughter can decide. Hyewon looked at Yuri’s pouting face and realized why there were in this situation.

Kang Hyewon was the best businesswoman and lawyer in the whole country. Her daughter proved a point that she can afford anything, especially the vacations altogether, but Hyewon was practical and busy. She wanted to do and spend what was best for Yuri without wasting resources, sometimes leading her to deal with Yuri’s whines because her daughter couldn’t get anything she wanted that was impractical.

To make it up to her against her work life, they spend quality bonding by vacations in different places. Lately, Hyewon realized that their previous vacations were decided by herself and not Yuri. She was also enlightened that most travel promos weren’t bundled to which they can never change, regardless of how much Hyewon can pay. This is why they were in a travel agency that could hopefully let them decide on a vacation promo at a decent price. This was also the time Hyewon can let Yuri decide.

And it became ironic that she didn’t agree with what Yuri picked, just because it was expensive.

“Can you pick something else, baby?” Hyewon pouted back. “Please? Can you do that for Mommy?”

Yuri may be a brat but she loved Hyewon dearly. She nodded and looked again. She pointed again and Hyewon checked it out. “Sokcho?”

The man returned and heard the suggestion. “Ah, yes! Sokcho is also a good spot, Mrs. Kang. The beaches are nice and there’s good food. It’s also crab season so you can go to most restaurants serving the best crab in all of the Korean coasts.”

“You want to go to Sokcho, Yul?” Hyewon asked her again.

Yuri nodded. “Well, it has a beach so it’s okay.”

Hyewon checked more about the place, wowing of the many itineraries to choose from. She was impressed that Sokcho is also known for wary crab, calamari sundae, even sweet and sour chicken.

“The food looks delicious,” Hyewon spoke as Yuri had a look too. “I want wary crab.”

“Oh, a wary crab for me too!” Yuri cheered. “Also sweet and sour chicken, Mommy.”

“Of course, baby. Sweet and sour chicken too.” Hyewon added while patting her head.

“We’ll include that in the food list, Mrs. Kang. The whole price will be the same.” He added. “We can also let you try more dishes so we can negotiate how much we must add.”

“For real?” Hyewon asked.

“Right now? Do you have some?” Yuri asked too.

Someone in a black suit arrived with a plate. The mother and daughter were excited, only for it to die down because there was a plate with pictures of food.

“Forgive me to ruin the surprise. I can see the uncanny resemblance that you love food.” The man chuckled. “Anyway, these are the exact list of foods for this itinerary. The wary crab and sweet and sour chicken are already included but now, you can decide additional dishes for the trip.”

An additional paper was given for them. They were to select three more dishes to be ranked and paste them in order. The wary crab and sweet and sour chicken were placed in the first two ranks so they needed to add three more to fill the menu. Hyewon and Yuri took time to pick and Yuri sticks them in order. She even switched the first two.

First place was wary crab then the sweet and sour chicken. The third was meat, the fourth was potato gelato, and the last was calamari sundae.

“Alright. I would also like you to check the places you want to go to. We have a standard itinerary but of course, we need to abide by your preferences.” He gave another paper.

Hyewon and Yuri checked. Hyewon was detailed to thoroughly check the choices while Yuri didn’t care as long as she decided the food, Hyewon was with her, and there was a beach.

“Here you go.” Hyewon gave the final papers.

“Alright. See you on the day of travel.”

The adults stood, bowed at each other, and shook hands. Hyewon then carried Yuri with the latter waving back. “Bye, Ahjusshi. See you at the time of travel. We’re hoping to see wary crabs there.”

The man adored her and waved back as Hyewon closed the door behind them. As they walked together, Hyewon became excited in hopes to have a wonderful time with Yuri.

+++

It was 5:00 AM. Two females were up and about; one was cooking while the other helped her.

“Ssamu-ya. Go and prepare yourself. You have to go to school.”

“Eomma, it’s fine. Let me help you.” The daughter spoke. “Extra help won’t be here until 10 AM. If I don’t help, who will?”

“Kim Chaewon, what are you saying?” Her mother sighed and did her work. “Be a good daughter to your Mommy Eunbi and prepare yourself.”

“Yes…” Chaewon sighed and went.

Kwon Eunbi was the owner of a little restaurant in Sokcho. Her daughter proved a point that even if the business was thriving, there was little to no dedicated manpower. Eunbi was practical and wanted to be busy. She wanted to do and spend what was best for Chaewon without wasting resources and leaving work, sometimes leading her to deal with Chaewon’s whines because her daughter couldn’t get anything she wanted that was out of her sight and mind.

To make it up to her against her work life, they spend quality bonding within the restaurant. Lately, Chaewon realized that early mornings were struggling for Eunbi to prepare. She was also enlightened that her social life was something she can’t hope for too much. This is why they made a routine to make preparations early morning. This was also the time Chaewon can learn the ways within the restaurant.

And it became ironic that Eunbi took her work, just because she needed to go to school.

“Have you forgotten, Mommy? You said you’d send me to school.” Chaewon pouted.

Eunbi sighed, stopping her work and consoling Chaewon because of that irresistible pout.

“Ssamu-ya…I’m sorry but I can’t send you to school today.” Eunbi began. “Your father called and said he’ll send you to school. He’ll come in a moment so you need to prepare.”

“But I want you to send me to school~” Chaewon whined. “Why does it have to be him? I hate him!”

Chaewon went off, leaving Eunbi to sigh and continue her work with teary eyes. Despite that, she was hoping to face it and be stronger for Chaewon and herself.

+++

Hyewon couldn’t leave her eyes at Yuri, wowing at every infrastructure she was seeing. She was impressed that Yuri managed to be up and about at 5:00 AM. Usually, her daughter would be snoring to dreamland at this time.

Because I’m excited to spend time with you, Mommy.

That was Yuri’s answer to which she will never forget. Hyewon wanted to ogle when –

A honk disrupted Hyewon, making her realize that she shouldn’t gawk at her daughter too much and focus on the road.

“Mommy~” Yuri whined at her. “Focus on the road!”

“Yes. Sorry to scare you, baby.” Hyewon patted her head and focused on driving.

The travel agency offered a transportation rate but Hyewon didn’t accept and chose to travel in her car. Only the itinerary was shouldered to them at a decent rate, including hotel reservations and the said list of food. Hyewon also proposed earlier and longer schedules because she needed to spend every second with her daughter. The vacation was only for a week because Hyewon will be busy with work.

The travel was giddy at first then mellow as Yuri slept. But when they arrived in Sokcho, Hyewon woke up Yuri again and made her look at the view. She wowed again, seeing the nice view of the sunrise by the seaside. Yuri got excited and wanted to go out to have pictures.

“Don’t worry, baby. We’re going to a walkway that has a better view. That’s our first place.”

Yuri cheered as Hyewon drove to the location. She and Yuri got out together and held hands as they walked.

The walkway was at the seaside so it was a nice view. Yuri would get excited to look and Hyewon would take pictures of her. It was worthwhile for quite some time until Hyewon checked the time.

The walkway was long and a normal walk to the endpoint would take an hour. And with their pace now, they could last here longer. As much as they had to stay, she was time-conscious.

“Pinwheel~” Yuri ran and went to get it.

“Yul!” Hyewon got worried and caught her. “No, no. That’s not ours.”

“But I want one~” Yuri whined. “Can I have one, Mommy? Please~”

Hyewon sighed, asking the guards nearby it if was okay to get one. They nodded and Yuri went to get an orange one. She also got a coral one for Hyewon.

“For you, Mommy.” Yuri showed it to her.

“Thank you, baby.” She accepted it then walked again, pulling Hyewon with her.

They walked at the normal speed this time. Hyewon would take a video of the nice view and Yuri would steal the view, waving her pinwheel and skipping. Hyewon would coo at her to look until Yuri pouted.

“Mommy! I got a paper cut!” Yuri pouted, showing her finger.

Hyewon went to check on it, seeing a little cut. She looked around to find a fountain, letting Yuri go there to wash her hands. She got soap and a towel from her satchel so Yuri can properly wash her hand, especially the cut finger. Yuri dries her hands and Hyewon bandaged her cut.

Yuri thought it was exaggerating but she knew Hyewon always meant well. She even liked it when Hyewon kissed her finger softly.

“Thank you, Mommy.” Yuri grinned and continued walking.

Hyewon followed while returning the stuff and sanitizing her hands with alcohol. She resumed her picture and video taking as Yuri was excited to get to the endpoint. Not only that, she was hungry and excited to play at the beach. Once they did, they took pictures together. Just then, Yuri saw two kids playing and ran to them, shocking Hyewon again. From the kids’ perspective, they were shocked that another kid was running towards them.

“New face?” A smaller kid spoke.

“I’m Jo Yuri. Nice to meet you.” She bowed. “Were you playing long jump?”

Hyewon rushed to the scene and was relieved that Yuri was just socializing with the children and playing with them. She maintained a distance so Yuri can fully do it without feeling embarrassed. She sat on the sand and took a video of her.

Hyewon had reactions as to how Yuri was smiling and playing with other kids. Most of them were good reactions because to her, it was nice for Yuri to make new friends and engage with them. Then again, her protective instincts became active as Yuri fell on her .

“Yul!” Hyewon got up and helped her daughter, scraping the sand off herself. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, Mommy. I’m fine.”

“Pft. You came with your mommy?” The smaller kid asked.

“Cut it out, Nako.” The taller one nudged her. “Would you want Yuri to do the same to you if your mother went to see you?”

Nako scratched her head and mumbled her apologies. Yuri accepted it as Hyewon patted her back. The two kids bowed at Hyewon.

“Hello, ma’am. I’m Kim Chaewon.” The taller introduced. “This is my friend, Yabuki Nako.”

“Nice to meet you, kids. I’m Kang Hyewon; Yuri’s mother.” She then noticed them wearing school uniforms. “You two go to school in summer?”

“Y-Yes, ma’am. Advanced classes for Chaewon and missed classes for me.” Nako added.

Hyewon crossed her arms at them, raising an eyebrow. “What brings you here to the beach?”

“We cut classes so we can play here,” Chaewon spoke nonchalantly, shocking Hyewon. “It’s no fun in school. Kids like Yuri get to go on vacation but not us?”

“Come on. What would your parents think?” Hyewon added. “They work for your future and you do this? I can feel that you two know better than that.”

Chaewon was hit with that realization while Nako was scratching and lowering her head in shame. Both students bowed and took the adult’s words in mind.

“Miss Hyewon’s right, Kinako. Let’s return to school.” Chaewon spoke, pulling her. “Nice meeting you, Yuri and Miss Hyewon.”

The mother and daughter bid farewell, with Yuri hoping to see them again, especially the taller. Hyewon was fond of the kids that she patted Yuri’s back. “That’s a lesson to you, Yul. Never skip school. If you want to, don’t do it without my permission, okay?”

“Yes, Mommy.” Yuri nodded while hugging her then pointed at the sea. “Mommy, let’s play at the sea~”

Hyewon agreed and adjusted their clothes. Once Yuri was good to go, she ran to the water. Hyewon did the same and joined her daughter.

+++

Chaewon huffed as she finished a lesson. She was now walking home alone since Nako had to catch up to her lessons. She walked home dejectedly as her thoughts wandered towards the new people she met earlier.

She never thought of feeling light seeing those new people. Yuri was a bundle of joy and she had fun playing with her. Hyewon was an intimidating adult but was chill and concerned about her. She concluded feeling jealous of their family bond…

…because she never had that with her parents, especially with her mother.

“I’m home.” Chaewon as she got inside the restaurant from the kitchen door. “Junho, where’s my mom?”

“At the reception desk. She’s in charge of service.”

“Usually it’s you who does it…” Chaewon sighed and went out.

“Ssamu-ya~” Eunbi greeted her daughter. “What are you doing here? You need to rest after going to school.”

“Nope. I’m helping you.” She puts her bag down and wore her apron. “You and Junho can’t do this yourselves. Besides, it’s rush hour. Many customers will come anytime.”

“Have lunch first.” Eunbi insisted.

“It’s fine, Eomma. Let’s have lunch together after the rush hour.” Chaewon spoke and went to entertain a customer at the door.

Eunbi sighed and resumed her work. She alternated her duties in the kitchen and desk and Junho would help. When she returned to the cashier, however, Chaewon was taking over. Eunbi would then return to entertain customers and serve their meals.

“Thank you.” Chaewon bowed as she entertained a customer going out.

“Eunbi-ssi, you have a very responsible daughter. She’s helping out at her age.” A loyal customer added. “How are her studies?”

“She’s excelling. Being an advanced student pays extra credit. She’s still 13 but is already in her first year in middle school.”

Chaewon could hear the compliments and sighed about the topic all the time. For her, it doesn’t pay to be advanced in her studies. She’s still young and should enjoy her childhood. With her gift and situation, she barely had that life.

She couldn’t blame it. It was better because Eunbi was with her.

For now, she had to shrug it off and return to her duties.

+++

Hyewon and Yuri had most of their time at the beach. Yuri couldn’t get away from chasing waves, collecting snow crab shells, and scooping water from approaching waves. Hyewon was always there to supervise, whether it was to scrape Yuri off of sand or put sunscreen on her. She would only play along if Yuri whined her to do so.

That went on until the early afternoon. Yuri had gotten hungry and concluded her fun morning. She got her bucket of seashells and ran towards Hyewon, holding her hand.

“Mommy, let’s go~” Yuri held her arm and pulled her up to follow her. “Let’s go eat snow crabs!”

Hyewon chuckled and nodded, fixing themselves before waddling with Yuri. She carried her bucket of snow crab shells and they walked towards the market close to Abai Village. It was the first place they’ll be exploring in Sokcho and their market was a spot both would be interested in. It’s a haven of many fresh ingredients and many restaurants for blood sausages, fried chicken, and crab.

Yuri was singing Sistar’s Loving You while walking; a summer song known by many and Hyewon can sing with. The mother-daughter tandem sang together while walking as Hyewon’s mind wondered which restaurant has the best snow crab in the market.

“Mommy, potato gelato~” Yuri saw a stall selling the dessert.

“Yul, no desserts before meals, remember?” Hyewon reminded her.

Yuri whined and pouted to have some. Hyewon didn’t agree and Yuri whined again.

“Listen to your mother, kid.”

“Kinako-san!” Yuri greeted.

“Nako.” Hyewon greeted as well. “You work here?”

“My mother owns the place, Miss Hyewon. I came to help her after my classes.” Nako shared.

Hyewon thought it was a good reflection from before. Nako would’ve endorsed their product but knowing they haven’t had lunch yet, it wasn’t the right time.

“We’ll return here after our lunch, Nako,” Hyewon spoke as Yuri pulled her a lot. “Can I ask? Are there any restaurants that serve good snow crab?”

“Yes. There’s Woollim; the best restaurant here in Abai Village – in all of Sokcho.” Nako said and wrote a map. “From here, face your right and walk straight until you see a junction. Then, turn right and it’s the restaurant at the farthest left.”

“Thank you,” Hyewon spoke as she received the map. “Why this? Can’t you just give me the location using Google Maps?”

“The restaurant doesn’t have that, Miss Hyewon.” Nako sighed. “Eunbi-nim, the owner, doesn’t spend much promotion for the restaurant. It’s such a waste sometimes because the food there is delicious.”

“I see. We’ll eat there and return here for dessert. Thank you, Nako.”

“Thank you, Kinako,” Yuri added and waved.

Nako chuckled and bid farewell to the mother and daughter. Upon following the directions, they saw the slightly shabby restaurant that had a line of customers. Hyewon and Yuri got in line, wondering about the bustling establishment that had less promotion. She was also shocked that they were there for almost half an hour but the line wasn’t moving. Yuri was getting hungry and impatient but Hyewon disciplined her to wait.

“Good noon. I’m Cha Junho, your waiter.” A guy greeted them and readied his notepad. “I apologize for the long line. We only have one cook and one server. Shall I take your order in advance?”

“Sure.” Hyewon nodded while accepting the menu and calming Yuri down. “Let’s see...we’ll have one serving of snow crab, one serving of soondae, two cups of rice, and two iced teas.”

“Will that be all?” Junho asked while writing.

“That would be all,” Hyewon answered and handed the menu back.

Junho gave their ticket number and went to serve more customers. Hyewon held Yuri’s hand and the ticket number and waited to be called. Luckily, they didn’t have to wait any longer as the line got shorter quickly. In a matter of minutes, they got to the door and Junho escorted them to their table and seats. Hyewon laughed seeing her daughter cheering while sitting down.

“Thank you for waiting. Your orders will be here in a jiffy.” Junho spoke and excused himself again.

“Mommy, look.” Yuri pointed at an aquarium. “Crab!”

“Yes, crabs. They look cute and huge, right?”

Yuri nodded and her eyes never left the aquarium. Hyewon noticed it and said, “Go and have a closer look. Be careful, okay?”

Yuri nodded and went there. She got excited seeing the crabs up close and leaned her hands, being careful as what her mother said.

On the other side of the story, Eunbi and Chaewon became busy with orders. They made rounds to cook and serve food to the customers and alternated duties at the reception desk, counting money and greeting farewell to the customers as they step out of the restaurant with full and satisfied appetites.

“Order for Table 11,” Junho spoke through the kitchen, serving the food through the receiving stand.

Eunbi went to get the first full tray and called Chaewon to help with the second one when her daughter got closer to another little girl looking at the aquarium. She called her many times when a customer got closer, getting the second tray.

“For Table 11?”

Eunbi looked and almost froze upon seeing a beautiful woman. She had the aura of people in the “big leagues” and looked too fine to be in her shabby restaurant.

Eunbi could only nod and the customer got the tray. Eunbi held the other and followed her, shocked that she placed it on her table. Eunbi would’ve reacted, especially when her daughter was still talking to the other girl. She was frozen this time, holding the two empty trays.

“Miss, are you okay?”

“I – I’m sorry for this…” Eunbi bowed then faced the aquarium where the two children were. “Ssamu-ya, you’re disturbing the customer!”

“It’s okay. Your daughter isn’t disturbing anyone. In fact…” She smiled. “…my daughter and I met your daughter before.”

The two adults were out of the dazed zone and looked at the children, laughing and talking about the crabs in the aquarium.

“Are you sure she didn’t disturb?” Eunbi asked again.

“She didn’t. From what I see, they want to be friends, especially Chaewon with my daughter, Yuri.”

Eunbi nodded and introduced herself for good measure. The other adult shook her hand back. “I’m Kang Hyewon. Nice to meet you.”

Eunbi took a while to retract her hand. There was something in Hyewon that made her feel that the world stopped, that the Sun was more vibrant than it usually was and that the busy restaurant became empty.

Snap out of it, Kwon.

Eunbi broke the handshake, leaving Hyewon to grin and look back at the children. “Don’t you think they look-alike?”

Eunbi looked back at the aquarium as Chaewon and Yuri talked. It made Eunbi return the trays and rub her eyes. “I guess?”

“Anyway, I think I might’ve disturbed you with your work. Nice meeting you, Miss Kwon Eunbi.”

“Y-You too, Miss Kang.” Eunbi bowed lightly. “I hope you and your daughter enjoy your meal.”

The two adults called their children. Yuri looked back first and saw Hyewon motioning her to eat while Chaewon looked back next and saw Eunbi crossing her arms.

“I guess we need to go back,” Chaewon said. “Will you be here for a long time?”

“Until the weekend. Anyway, nice meeting you again, Chaewon.” Yuri waved and went back to the table.

Chaewon chuckled and returned to her mother’s attention, getting a scolding for disturbing the little customer.

“Eomma, I know Yuri and Miss Hyewon. We met this morning at the beach.” Chaewon sighed, leaving Eunbi shocked. “It’s a long story. Can’t I make friends and have fun for once?”

Eunbi sighed as Chaewon returned to her duties. She didn’t have the time to talk, given that the restaurant was packed again; a usual yet shocking experience for them.

Woollim may look like a decent restaurant that had decent customers but beneath it was the ultimatum between keeping the business or shutting it down. Due to the lapses of food prices and customers, there were instances that there were more losses than profits or breakeven, resulting in less employment and maintenance. To keep business running, Eunbi made sure to work harder so there are constant earnings every day. A single mistake could lose the business and Eunbi would never want, especially when she still has a daughter to raise. She was lucky enough that there’s rush hour close to lunchtime but today, it would last longer.

Eunbi didn’t want to think of unrealistic possibilities but it hasn’t happened in years of running the business. It only happened when Hyewon and Yuri made their way into the restaurant to eat. They ordered the largest portion of meals among the customers and brought the largest luck to the restaurant by bringing in more.

“Waiter!” Hyewon’s voice rang. “Bill!”

Junho would’ve gone but Eunbi insisted to do it. She got to the table and tallied the prices for the dishes. “That would be ₩50,000 and ₩4,000 for the extra crab.”

“You can pay all of that instantly, right Mommy?” Yuri spoke then waved at Eunbi. “Hello, Miss Kwon~”

Eunbi greeted the child back as Hyewon scooted her bag for some cash. She placed the exact amount in the small tray and asked for an official receipt.

“I’m sorry but we only have the receipt from the cashier,” Eunbi spoke.

“I see. We’ll just have it, then.”

Eunbi nodded and went to the reception desk, feeling nervous. Chaewon noticed her, asking. “What’s wrong, Eomma?”

“Ssamu-ya, what’s an official receipt?”

Chaewon received the bill and made the computations and transactions. The invoice was printed from the cashier and Chaewon got it, waving it lightly. “This, Eomma.”

“Is that what it’s called?”

“Yes, although official receipts are usually written,” Chaewon added. “I’ll give the change and talk to Miss Hyewon about it.”

Eunbi took over Chaewon’s task and sighed of her ignorance. She would glance at Table 11 and Chaewon was talking to Hyewon and Yuri. She was shocked that she lets Chaewon sit down with Yuri and went to where she was.

Eunbi’s conscience ed up. The sudden approach was making her tingly.

“Y-Yes, Miss Kang? What can I do for you?”

“Mind me for asking about an official receipt. I didn’t realize you didn’t have one.” Hyewon spoke, bowing lightly. “Anyway, you gave more change than you should.”

Eunbi saw Hyewon scoot the little tray with the change. She checked it again and it was the same change. “This is the correct change, Miss Kang.”

“Consider it as a tip.” Hyewon offered. “The receipt has no service fee so I can give you tips.”

Eunbi was too flattered. The extra income was needed but she didn’t want to pry over tips. She thought it was unfair for the customer. “Miss Kang, I can’t take it.”

“I insist…” Hyewon scooted it again. “It’s the least I could do for you and Chaewon because you two worked hard today.”

“Miss Eunbi~” Yuri called as she goes closer to Hyewon. “Please accept it. Mommy wants to help plus you and Chaewon worked hard today.”

Eunbi looked at her daughter cleaning their table then back at an ogling Yuri and a chuckling Hyewon. She couldn’t bat, especially when a cute girl was asking politely.

“Okay. Thank you so much.” Eunbi bowed again. “I hope you had a good meal today.”

“It was wonderful. We’ll be going now.” Hyewon spoke then held Yuri’s hand. “Let’s go, Yul.”

Yuri nodded. She looked back to wave at Chaewon and the latter waved back enthusiastically after sorting the used dishes. She also waved at Eunbi and the other adult waved back.

“Mommy, wave back too~” Yuri pulled her shirt.

“Okay, okay…” Hyewon nodded then looked back. “Goodbye, Chaewon. See you when I see you, Miss Kwon.”

Eunbi gulped as Hyewon and Yuri left. The emotions from before returned, leaving her to smile.

“Bye, Miss Hyewon~” Chaewon waved then nudged Eunbi. “Eomma, you are one smitten smite~”

Eunbi’s rabbit smile was gone the moment Chaewon . She got a rolled magazine and hit her head. “Says the one who cuts classes just to play at the beach!”

“How did you know?” Chaewon rubbed her head.

“You think I don’t know that my daughter loves playing long jump at the beach?!”

“That’s how I became the best long jump athlete in school~” Chaewon whined. “And besides, we should be thankful to Miss Hyewon and Yuri.”

“Why is that?” Eunbi asked before welcoming more customers.

“I would still be at the beach the whole morning if Miss Hyewon didn’t reprimand me to go to school and I would be bored and less sociable if Yuri didn’t come and became my new friend,” Chaewon added. “But what I’m most thankful for them was that the restaurant got busier because they’re the luckiest and kindest customers we have so far.”

Chaewon had a point. When Hyewon and Yuri sat foot inside the restaurant, more customers flooded in. When Chaewon got busy talking to Yuri, Hyewon went to help Eunbi and got her food herself. Not only that, Hyewon ordered the most food and gave the remaining change as tips, thus increasing the restaurant’s earnings. And Yuri was just a pure soul that Eunbi adored at first glance.

The new mother and daughter duo intrigued her and Chaewon. When the daughters started their new friendship, Eunbi was starting to feel some things upon seeing Hyewon.

Hyewon was now in her head but she couldn’t dwell on that as there was work to do.

But what was fate? What could an intriguing phenomenon do for two different people to meet again?