My Future Girlfriend: Part 6 (2Kim ft. JangChae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Minju was walking around town. It was a weekend and she spent it alone. She would’ve asked friends to be with her but most of them were busy. Hyewon, Yena, and Eunbi would be on dates with their girlfriends. Yujin would be sleeping all day. And for Chaewon and Wonyoung, they’d be going on a date.

In fact, she didn’t want to get near Chaewon like they used to. She swore to help Wonyoung so that they’d get along so she was doing this hurtful task.

She stopped at a familiar store; the shoe place where Chaewon bought pairs for the both of them. She smiled at the recent display and was reminded of that day. It was the best day of their lives and also Chaewon’s.

“You like that pair?”

Minju lets out a yelp when a pair of hands stopped her. She looked back and shocked to see the person. “S-Ssamu!”

“Hey. I see you again.” Chaewon grinned and draped an arm around her. “You like that pair? I’ll buy one for you.”

Minju missed this moment wherein all she wanted to see was Chaewon smiling at her. But with Wonyoung, she had to get her fantasies out of her head.

“Aish! You already bought one.” Minju sighed. “No need. No need.”

“Okay.” Chaewon chuckled. “Have lunch with me.”

“Aren’t you and Wonyoung going out today?” Minju asked. “She texted me this morning.”

“After her training…so this evening.” Chaewon spoke then draped an arm around her again. “Come on~ I’m lonely~”

Minju just nodded and they walked together. If there was an award for martyrdom, Minju was going to welcome it with open arms. Nonetheless, she wasn’t lonely anymore and would be spending the day with her favorite person.

Again, she jumps the boundaries for her fantasies.

+++

Wonyoung was stretching her limbs after a good practice and was holding her phone to call Chaewon.

Hey.

“Ssamu~ I’m done with the training.” Wonyoung spoke. “Where are you? I’ll come to you.”

I’m at the PC Bang practicing with Minju and the others for the tournament.

“I see. I’ll go there. Wait for me, okay?”

Wonyoung hung up and hastily went to the showers to change, suit up in a casual attire, and walked quickly to get to Chaewon.

The days had been wonderful for Wonyoung. Despite being not selected for Seoul Fashion Week, she was given an offer by Uniqlo – which was a bigger deal than a week worth of doing catwalks. With the chance, she trained hard again and had a great deal. But the best of them all was that after training, she and Chaewon went out, just like they used to.

She stopped by the same shoe store and saw the same ecent model. She decided to buy matching shoes for themselves, picking the recent model and picking pink and mint as a color combination since those were their favorite colors. She puts on her pair and had Chaewon’s wrapped in a bag as a gift.

With a few quick steps, Wonyoung arrived at the PC Bang. She texted Chaewon on where her station but a familiar length of pink hair became her signal. She excitedly went by the stations and saw Chaewon focused on her game. Hyewon and Yena were next to each other and a red-haired girl was cheering Yena on. Minju was beside Chaewon and they were laughing a lot.

Wonyoung had a strange feeling yet Chaewon was of the utmost importance. She sat next to Chaewon and waited for her to finish.

“Winner winner, chicken dinner!!” Chaewon cheered like the rest of the squad.

“Won’s here.” Minju spoke to Chaewon. “Hey, Won~”

“Min.” Wonyoung waved then hugged Chaewon. “Ssamu~”

Chaewon was shocked yet she hugged back with little passion. “Hey. Did you wait long?”

“No.” Wonyoung grinned then handed the bag. “For you.”

Hyewon and Yena perked and saw the development. Hyewon had keener senses and checked on Minju, face looking like she carried the world’s problems.

“Get a room, you two.” Hyewon spoke then nudged Yena. “You and Yuri too.”

The friends exited and Wonyoung had a better chance to greet Hyewon and Yena, then meeting her girlfriend, Jo Yuri.

“Ah…we should have a gathering sometime.” Yuri got excited then held Yena’s arm. “Darling, you have a great set of friends.”

“Next time, darling.” Yena spoke as she excused themselves. “We’ll be going now.”

Yuri waved cheerfully to Yena’s friends and got the same set of waves. Yena and Yuri looked cute together. Wonyoung adored them the most.

“That could be us again, Ssamu.” She spoke. “Shall we go?”

Chaewon’s eyes went wide but she nodded. They bid farewell to Hyewon and Minju and went on their way. Minju looked at Wonyoung’s feet and chuckled. “She bought her the latest model.”

“You mean the shoes?” Hyewon asked.

“You have the keenest senses, don’t you Kwangbae?”

“I try.” Hyewon chuckled. “I even sense that you’re a tiny bit jealous of them.”

Minju faced the latter with a glare. Hyewon wasn’t scared and raised her eyebrows instead. “You’re not good at lying, Kim Minju.”

Minju sighed and nodded. Hyewon comforted her, saying. “You and Chaewon have better chemistry. I just hope my pink-haired friend doesn’t do anything stupid.”

“She doesn’t, Kwangbae.” Minju spoke. “It’s better that way. Wonyoung’s happier than before.”

“And you think sacrificing your happiness makes you a good friend?”

Minju had no defenses. Even if she and Hyewon walked to the bus station, the time she had wasn’t enough to formulate an answer.

“Think about it thoroughly, Min.” Hyewon spoke as a bus arrived. “You can be the best friend Wonyoung has but you also need to be the best friend for yourself.”

Hyewon waved goodbye as she got on the bus. Minju watched the vehicle go and was teary of what Hyewon meant.

She has a crush on Chaewon. All the moments they had meant everything. Her moments with Wonyoung meant everything too that she couldn’t be selfish in desiring Chaewon to be her own.

She was left to cry as she got on a bus back home.

+++

Lunchtime in the school’s canteen was as loud as a marketplace. Minju was with Eunbi and Yujin, getting their trays and serving themselves food. Minju was sullen today as she scooped a normal portion of rice, meat, kimchi, and coleslaw.

Eunbi went to find them a table. Minju followed behind when someone took her tray. She looked back and there was Chaewon.

“This serving isn’t fit for a lady like you. You have it, Yena.” She handed the tray to the duck. “I’ll get trays of food for us.”

“Ssamu – give that back.” Minju spoke.

“A simple meal won’t do for you.” Chaewon pulled her so they could get food together. “We should have every dish to compensate the school fees paid.”

Minju scratched her head and followed Chaewon. She would get a few of each dish yet Chaewon served her more. Hyewon had mountains for food while Yena added more in Minju’s old tray. Nonetheless, all of them shared the table Eunbi reserved.

They dug in like cheerful children. Minju thought her tray of food was overwhelming yet Chaewon would give more of her food to her.

“You look skinny. Eat some more.” Chaewon served another piece of meat to her.

“That’s enough, Ssamu – “

“Min, what are you doing?”

They looked back and saw Wonyoung. Minju stopped Chaewon from serving her more food.

“There’s a vacant seat next to Yujin.” Chaewon said. “Join us.”

Wonyoung still didn’t budge. Minju got the idea and got up, much to everyone’s shock.

“Sit next to Yujin, Yena.” Hyewon nudged. “You can sit here, Min.”

Yena got the idea and sat on the vacant seat. Minju transferred to Yena’s old seat and Wonyoung sat on Minju’s old seat, right next to Chaewon. The lunch resumed yet it was a little tense. Eunbi and Yujin were tensed of Wonyoung’s attitude while the rest thought it was unusual for her to let her best friend transfer to another seat.

For Chaewon, she was oblivious yet uncomfortable.

“It feels good to eat with you guys again.” Wonyoung spoke. “I was always with the modelling club during lunch but with me having a different schedule, I thought of eating lunch with you guys again.”

“Good to hear.” Yujin said as the rest nodded.

Minju became very quick in eating, leading her to choke. Chaewon gave her glass of water when Yena grabbed it and gave it to Minju. Minju thanked her and drank.

“Min, slow down.” Wonyoung gave her another glass.

“I’m good.” Minju spoke and stood up. “If you’ll excuse me…”

Minju got her tray and called it a meal. She decided to walk to her locker, feeling down as if she was going to collapse.

She was hurting and she almost made Wonyoung mad with indirect actions. She felt Wonyoung’s slight tendencies when she and Chaewon sat next to each other and felt hurt when Chaewon and Wonyoung were serving each other food. The hurt sickened her and she wondered if she’ll be able to handle it.

She opened her locker to get coins. Maybe sparking water will help.

“Min.” Wonyoung got to her with a bottle of sparkling water. “Here. It’ll make you feel better.”

Minju smiled lightly and drank. She gulped down half of the content and said, “Thanks, Won. You know my favorite flavor.”

“Of course. That’s what best friends are for.” Wonyoung patted her back. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah.” Minju nodded. “Where are the others?”

“They’re wrapping up their lunches and for the next classes. Hyewon will catch up to us.”

Minju downed the whole drink and she and Wonyoung got to their classroom. They sat down together and Wonyoung began squealing. “About Ssamu… isn’t just so charming~?”

Minju didn’t want to hear it. Her heart will get hurt even more. Yet, she couldn’t argue the fact.

“She makes you laugh, she’s very direct with her words, she’s aloof yet very caring.”

“I see.” Minju nodded. “She’s different when she’s with you.”

“How different, Min?” Wonyoung asked.

“Good different.” Minju commented.

“Min, I want to share something.” Wonyoung held her hands.

Minju raised a what. Wonyoung squealed again yet she spoke softly. “Our relationship is going well. We go out together more and she doesn’t drive me away again. With that, I honestly want to get back together with her.”

Minju just raised a thumb up yet her heart broke into shattered pieces. “So…when will you pop the question again?”

“That’s hard. She might be hanging out with me but she isn’t opening up.” Wonyoung spoke. “I broke her heart in the past. I was reminded when she told me to loosen the reins and take charge at my own pace…but I’m a bit impatient…”

“Say it again but slowly.” Minju spoke and slumped on her desk.

“Min, will you able to help me if I ever need it?”

“What kind of a question is that?” Minju spoke. “I’m your best friend. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you.”

“Even with Ssamu?”

Minju felt like dying. She faced Wonyoung away, mumbling. “Even with Ssamu…but why me, Won? Hyewon and Yena are closer to her than me.”

“They both know yet they internally despised me because of what I did to Chaewon. They trust you. Chaewon trusts you.” Wonyoung pleaded, leaning her taller body onto the smaller. “Help me, please~”

Minju yelped because of Wonyoung’s weight. She patted her shoulders, spitting. “Okay! Okay! I’ll help!”

Wonyoung cheered and thanked Minju many times. Minju nodded and all of that had to stop because classes were resuming.

Minju knew Hyewon was right. It was harder now because she was dropping herself in a pit of martyrdom wherein it’ll be harder to get out into.

+++

Months have passed and it was a week before the e-game tournament. The gaming club became busy with practices and dry-runs for every game played in the tournament.

And even in worst cases, they strive to practice. Chaewon, for instance, was having a game of Tekken despite having a cold. In the end, she was defeated by Yena.

“Too easy.” Yena sighed. “That’s enough, Ssamu. You need to rest.”

“One more – “ Chaewon couldn’t continue as she covered with her elbow and sneezed.

Minju was in another winning streak and decided to stop. She got to Chaewon and patted her shoulders. “Come on, Ssamu. You need to go home.”

“But – “

“Listen to Minju, Chaewon.” Chaeyeon spoke. “That’s an order.”

Minju helped Chaewon up and she takes her to the canteen first. Since one of the dishes was heartwarming oxtail soup, Minju lets her sit down and did the honors of serving her meal. Minju returned to the table and served Chaewon the tray of food.

“You need to eat well before you go home.” Minju said. “You can only drink medicine before you sleep. Medicine for colds have that side effect and that’s not good for our future tournament.”

“Thanks, Min.” Chaewon spoke as she slurped the hot soup. “How do you know stuff?”

“My dad’s a doctor plus I play medical games.” Minju spoke.

“Eat with me.” Chaewon scooted untouched acorn jelly.

“It’s okay, Ssamu.” Minju dialled someone. “I won’t stay long. I’ll let Wonyoung take you home.”

Chaewon felt down. Nonetheless, she emptied her tray and her bowl of soup. “Why won’t you take me home, Min?”

“I have another errand to go.” Minju said, holding Chaewon’s hand. “I’ll see you soon.”

Wonyoung arrived in time and was worried when Chaewon had Rudolph’s red nose. Minju got to her best friend, saying. “She already ate. Buy her medicine for colds, flu, and headaches just in case it gets worse.”

“Got it.” Wonyoung nodded. “Shall I also give her tea?”

“Yes. I need to go back and practice.” Minju added. “I leave you to take care of her. Chaewon needs to be healthy for the tournament because she’s one of our best players.”

Wonyoung agreed wholeheartedly and thanked Minju for the great opportunity. Minju lets her off and walked ahead, leaving herself to laugh and face-palm.

She saw Chaewon’s eyes begging her to stay and she saw Wonyoung’s eyes gleam because of another chance to get close to the latter. Such eyes made her own grow dim.

“Minju? You’re back?” Hyewon asked.

“Wonyoung’s taking Chaewon home.” Minju spoke and spoke. “Anyone want to play Tekken with me?”

The members lined up and Minju was on her spot, ready to play. Everyone watched Minju play and defeated every member that tried to compete with her. Hyewon and Yena gasped. Team I.O.I were very impressed.

“It’s settled. Team IZ*ONE will compete for Tekken while we compete for LOL.” Chaeyeon spoke and the team agreed.

Minju was fueled up to play. Jealousy, martyrdom, and hurt was inside that she manifested it into playing her best.

She didn’t care about winning. All she cared about was driving herself to do her best and distract herself away from the concept of love.

+++

“Are you really going to play, Ssamu?” Yena asked.

Hyewon was worried like Yena while Minju could question Wonyoung. She swore to take care of Chaewon yet she still had her cold and it was worse than before.

“Yep. We’re short with one member. We can’t be short of another.” Chaewon spoke. “I need good energy right now.”

 Teams for Tekken. Please come up on stage.

It was a battle of SOPA vs Asia Pacific International School (APIS). Much to Team IZ*ONE’s shock, they were at a even match. Team IZ*ONE gulped as they got to their respective PCs, especially when they saw their opponents.

There were three Japanese and one Korean. One of them happened to be the best Tekken player in the world: Miyawaki Sakura.

“She shouldn’t be competing, Kim. But our fifth member chickened out so she took her place. That deserved to cower out because she’s not good enough.” Minju’s opponent chuckled. “Sakura’s the best; a reserved opponent for those who’ll actually survive.”

Minju chuckled. Her opponent was actually familiar. “How’s it been, Yabuki Nako?”

The midget puts on her headphones and held her controller. “Good. How’s Wonyoung?”

Minju looked afar and there were her friends. All of them held banners for SOPA, especially for Team IZ*ONE and Team I.O.I. Eunbi held a third banner of Hyewon, Yuri held a banner of Yena, Wonyoung held a Chaewon banner with one hand while she and Yujin held a banner of Minju.

“No banner for me~” Nako cooed. “I’m utterly pissed at her before... until now. She broke her promise to take care of Chaewon.”

Chaewon was at another station and had a familiar opponent, leaving Nako to chuckle. “And here’s Chaewon, having her first ex as her opponent.”

Minju was shocked when the games were about to start. Minju focused as she held her controlled and played her best. The audience watched the gameplays on the large screen and cheered. Wonyoung had the largest cheer to support her best friend and the most important person in her life.

The games were filled with a lot of emotions. Yena beats her opponent, Chaewon knocked hers out while struggling to focus her gaze, Hyewon was easily defeated while Minju was neck to neck with Nako.

Minju knocked her out in the last round and Nako cussed at her loss. Nako almost threw the controller and Minju huffed while removing her headphones.

The winners are Miyawaki Sakura, Choi Yena, Kim Chaewon, and Kim Minju. The leading team is Team IZ*ONE of SOPA.

The players took a five-minute break. Hyewon apologized to the teams for losing.

“It’s okay, Kwangbae.” Chaeyeon comforted her. “Miyawaki Sakura is a tough opponent. Nobody lasts the second round when you compete with her.”

“Yet you made it to the fourth round. That’s an accomplishment.” Mina added. “Don’t give up, guys. Fighting!”

Team IZ*ONE returned to the stage. It was round robin tournament so everyone will have three matches and eliminations will be done based on the number of losses. Nonetheless, both teams got to their next opponents and played three more sets of games.

The games were boring for those who lost yet it became intense when it was the last game between Sakura and Minju. Both were tied 2:2 and had the last round as the verdict on who will win. Many people made bets because neither of them has no losses. This was the turning point and when the time was up, both players were standing.

Yet, Sakura’s player had more health so she won. As a team, they were in a draw. But for individual rankings, Sakura was at the top. For SOPA, Hyewon and Minju tied in second place while Yena and Chaewon tied in fourth place.

“That was awesome!” Chaeyeon patted their backs. “Min and Kwangbae killed it!”

“Ah…I lost thrice…” Yena pouted. “I’m not even sick like Ssamu!”

Chaewon sneezed again. Team IZ*ONE lets her rest as they cheer for Team I.O.I with League of Legends. Team IZ*ONE got to the benches close to the audience and their friends went down to join them. Wonyoung rushed to Chaewon’s aid because her cold turned into a flu.

“Won…I thought you’d take care of her.” Minju spoke. “What happened?”

“I tried, Min…but Ssamu’s very stubborn.” Wonyoung spoke, almost crying. “She doesn’t want it when I take care of her.”

Minju sighed and comforted her best friend. Chaewon was helped by Hyewon and Yena, leaving Minju and Wonyoung to go outside. Wonyoung broke down and Minju got her a tissue to wipe her tears away.

“You can’t stop trying now. You want her back, don’t you?” Minju asked.

“I do…but I’m getting impatient, desperate even.” Wonyoung reasoned. “I don’t understand why she doesn’t want to open up. I did everything you told me yet she ignores it.”

No wonder Chaewon broke up with you…

“Look, Won.” Minju held her shoulders. “It takes time. Give Ssamu the chance to heal and in times like these, you have to be there for her. Please be patient with her. You can win her back, okay?” She added. “I believe in you. I always have.”

Wonyoung smiled and hugged Minju tight. Minju hugged back, feeling bile reach because of her words. Nonetheless, Wonyoung thanked her a lot and added. “I won’t let you down.”

“Of course, you wouldn’t.” Minju spoke.

When Wonyoung was relieved, she and Minju went back. Team IZ*ONE were cheering with the rest of the SOPA audience as Team I.O.I were killing it with LOL. They were in the lead towards a good win, leaving Minju and Wonyoung to cheer with them. Hyewon and Yena lets them take their places and Chaewon was resting on Wonyoung’s shoulder. Minju got to Chaewon’s right side and flinched when Chaewon held her hand beneath her jacket.

She couldn’t. Not like this.

Minju slowly lets herself go and excused herself towards the bathrooms. Minju got inside to wash her hands and face but it never washed her tears.

She was torn. Chaewon wasn’t just a crush anymore; she was someone she loved. Wonyoung wasn’t just a best friend; she was her sister. She played the martyr too much to the point that it hurt her when Chaewon and Wonyoung were doing things together. It pained her when Chaewon would become sad whenever they weren’t hanging out but realizing Wonyoung’s tendencies, she couldn’t gamble her true happiness because she believed that it would hurt her. And a hurt Wonyoung was never lovely.

She wiped her tears away and had to be strong. The ideals of having a future girlfriend will have to go down the drain slowly.