Pandemic (OT12)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The pandemic was an unexpected event and it changed the course of our lives wherever we are assigned too. People want to work, go to school, or go out to do want they want to do but they couldn't because of safety measures. And even if was the opposite case, people are putting themselves at risk but they don't have a choice because they need to eat, pay bills, and support their families.


Such was the case of twelve sisters, sharing different blood and different lives yet sharing the same home. 


“Eunbi, how’s the bakery?”


“Sales were so low that Hiichan and I had to divide one person’s salary so that our employer can pay us.” She sighed as the other worker got to the kitchen to cook. “What about the internet shop, Kkura?”


“I only got ten customers. I won’t be working for the next few months because it’ll close.” Sakura chuckled then downed her glass of soju. “Paradise.”


“Neesan, not in front of Wonyoung.”


Sakura heeded Hitomi’s words and disposed the drink. The two watched Wonyoung in her uniform as she still makes her assignment. More of them came down from their rooms as one of them came from the door.


“Sanitize first.” Eunbi got some alcohol and the latter took turns in having some. “Kwangbae, how’s the delivery?”


“Some ordered meals and scammed me. Bad news is I won’t have my salary for this month.” Hyewon showed a very large pack of food. “Good news is I’ve got food for us to last a few days.”


The feast of roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy were blessings for them. The unnies got to their table and set it, with Hyewon putting the food out. The rest of the sisters were gathered around, sitting on their usual spots as they say grace and dig in.


All of them thought this was a good meal but two of them didn’t eat, leaving the rest concerned.


“Wonyoung. Yujin.” Eunbi called. “What’s wrong?”


“It’s not that I don’t want to eat. I just feel bad.” Yujin pouted. “Kwangbae-unnie won’t get paid because of this.”


“Aigoo…that’s nothing to worry about. My company made sure to file a lawsuit against those scammers. It’s only for this month.”


“But if you won’t earn money, how will you buy the things you need, unnie?” Wonyoung asked. “And it’s not just Kwangbae-unnie but all of you.”


All of them gasped at their two maknaes for what they’ve said. It was the nature for younger people not to worry about the tragedies of the elders but knowing that they were living in the same roof, it was a major concern.


As working students and persons with a bit of juvenile spirit, they wanted to earn, go out with friends, and even go to school. But with the pandemic, they were held back to do those things for their own safety.


“It’s okay. We can still manage.” Eunbi assured her. “Your Hiichan-unnie and I will have skeletal work forces in our bakery. Your Chaewon-unnie will start an online business for the mean time.”


“Your Kkura-unnie and Minju-unnie will help me.” Chaewon added then pointed at the maknaes. “I’ll also need your help for layouts and designs so don’t fret.”


“And don’t forget that your Nako-unnie and I are front-liners.” Hyewon added, showing her muscles. “I’ll be safe with deliveries whereas Nako will keep our streets safe from any accidents.”


“Now you two need to eat.” Nako and Eunbi served them the biggest pieces. “You two need to be big and strong to do your online classes.”


“Plus we promised our parents and yours that we’ll take care of each other.” Yena added. “If your internet connection’s a bit nasty, tell me. Your Chaeyeon-unnie and I will settle that.”


Yujin and Wonyoung nodded and they ate their meal. As they looked at each other, they also looked at their unnies, all working full-time and part-time.


Eunbi was a full-time baker whereas Hitomi was a part-time cashier at the same establishment. Sakura was a full-time worker at an internet café, collaborating with Yena for networking and business. Hyewon was full-time delivery girl for Food Panda, Nako was a part-time traffic enforcer, and Chaewon and Minju was a part-time workers at Chaeyeon’s mom’s café together with the owner’s daughter but sadly, it had to temporarily close. The trio decided to find other ways to earn and for the case of Yuri, she had to end her part-time gigs and do household chores, helping her unnies with whatever work, especially with the maknaes’ school work.


“You might bear my singing for the whole quarantine.” Yuri spoke. “Need to practice my vocal chords~”


“As long as you don’t disturb the maknaes whenever they do their homework,” said Sakura, getting nods from the unnie line.


“You can do online concerts, Yul.” Minju added. “I’ll join you with accompaniment.”


“You should feature Chaeyeon and I. We’ll dance while you sing.” Yena raised.


“We should ALL try that together.” Eunbi suggested. “Can you two catch up?”


“Of course! Mikurin can take my shifts on the weekends,” said Nako.


“Of course. I’ll always try for all of you.” Hyewon winked, causing the rest to coo.


The twelve sisters finalized their said concert, sharing clanks of utensils before resuming their meal.


Facing the tragedy of the commons wasn’t the only thing to be concerned about. The pandemic was a test and an awakening to what people are capable of feeling – even feeling the worst of emotions. In some areas, people are constantly arguing and complaining – from the unfairness of distributed goods to the loss of credibility in doing the things usually done. People don’t have jobs and sometimes, major crises come that sometimes, it makes you think if you can still live another day.


Amid the negative effects, the twelve girls chose against the negative side. Their minds were more open as they realize that this pandemic is an awakening to everyone. It is an awakening that all of should change our wicked ways, open our understanding with the world and of the people around us, and be grateful that we can live another day.