Awkward~ : Part 3 (MongMin)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was day one in Jeju. Minju woke up like a sleepy frog and stretched her limbs. She even scooted a hand on the other side of the bed, whining that the other person wasn’t beside her.


She didn’t need to react even further. The smell of delicious food got through her nostrils and she followed it, seeing Hyewon prepare them on their dining table, back facing Minju. Minju giggled and reached to hug Hyewon, nuzzling on her exposed neck and indulging onto her scent alone.


“Good morning.” Hyewon spoke. “Today’s breakfast is kimbap and other foods from a local market near our stay.”


Minju got to her seat and Hyewon serves her first. Hyewon joined her and had her share food. 


“Delicious…” Minju hummed. “You always pick the best food, baby.”


“Thank you.” Hyewon ate again and looked at the dark view of the sea. “You got up earlier than expected.”


“Of course. We have to catch the sunrise at Seongsan Ilchubong and have the daytime trip at Udo Island.” Minju spoke. “I could say the same to you. We’re having an early breakfast.”


“Just eat, Min.” Hyewon served her another piece of kimbap.


Minju pouted and asked to be fed. Hyewon thought she looked like an idiot but she fed her anyway.


+++


Minju drove at a steady pace towards Seongsan Ilchubong. It was almost 6:30 in the morning and the sunrise and the opening hour was expected at 7. Minju had the nick of being early to follow her itinerary and let Hyewon rest longer. They arrived after a minute and Minju was happy that they were the first guests.


The management suggested a part of the crater with a cliff and Minju thanked them. It was a perfect spot for the car and wonderful for a very wide view of the sky. Minju got there and parked her car at the center. 


Minju unbuckled her seatbelt and scooted closer to hold Hyewon’s face. She was sleeping peacefully and Minju adored her, especially when she woke up first to prepare the early breakfast. Minju was impressed on how Hyewon always coped up with everything she  did, especially on their special secret trips.


“I love you so much.” Minju whispered as she caressed Hyewon’s cheek.


Hyewon fidgeted and slowly woke up. She yawned and scratched her head, making Minju take a picture of her.


“Good morning again, sleepy head.” Minju chuckled.


“Good morning. We’re here already?” Hyewon asked.


Minju nodded. She drove the car again to turn it around, letting the rear face the view. She opened the rear door and got down. Hyewon followed her and wowed as Minju prepped the back compartment into a comfy enclosure.


“Nice idea.” Hyewon grinned and plopped on a spot. 


Minju joined her, plopping onto Hyewon like it was playful wrestling. The couple laid down on the comforters and pillows as Minju checked the time.


“Ten minutes more…” Minju checked her watch.


“This is so comfy.” Hyewon mumbled before yawning. “This makes me sleepy.”


Minju shook her head and tickled Hyewon to keep her awake. Hyewon cackled and tried to stop Minju. In the end, Hyewon mounted her and Minju froze of this proximity.


“Yah, Kwangbae…” Minju called as her face turned red. 


Hyewon smirked and inched closer to kiss her. Minju gulped and shuts her eyes…


…until her watch beeped.


“Sunrise!” Minju spat and Hyewon cackled again.
They sat down properly and saw the bright star being welcomed by the blue sky. The couple wowed, even Hyewon took a video of it rising from the horizon. 


“Ah…so beautiful…” Minju wowed.


“True. But there’s two suns now.”


“Eh?” Minju perked at Hyewon.


“One.” Hyewon pointed at the sun then pointed at Minju. “Two.”


“Three.” Minju pointed back at her. “There are three suns in total.”


Hyewon chuckled and looked back at the sunset. She was also feeling the little breeze and the fresh air that Jeju offered. Then, she felt a weight on her shoulder and a hold on her hand.


“It’s been the first morning and I’m so happy right now.” Minju spoke, tracing her fingers around Hyewon’s palm. 


“Me too, Min. Every moment with you has always been the best moments of my life.” Hyewon added, eyes still glued on the sunrise. “Is it me or the sunrise is giving us a sign?”


“What sign?”


“A hope of being open about our relationship.”


Minju never thought about it. Sometimes, things were better left unsaid. 


“Don’t force it, Min. It’s okay.” Hyewon patted her back.


Minju sighed and looked back at her girlfriend. She pulled Hyewon inside without touching the camera and had the latter pinned by the side. Hyewon had her turn to feel flustered that she could only shut her eyes.


Minju rested her hands on top of Hyewon’s and kissed her. Hyewon was frozen at first but she held Minju’s waist and kissed her back.


So much for their morning, Hyewon thought. It was more wonderful than she expected it to be.


+++


“We’re not taking the car with us?”


“Nope. Udo Island is very small so we’ll ride bikes.” Minju grinned as she picked a bike. “You’ll be up front to drive, okay?”


Hyewon agreed and the itinerary was that they’ll roam around the island the whole morning. Lunch will be back at the Seongsan Ilchubong for they’ll watch Haenyeos afterward.


Hyewon considered herself as a feisty woman hidden in an awkward body. She would socialize with many people, eat food like a fighter, and ride bikes like it was a triathlon. But when Minju was with her, she became graceful and careful. With this ride, she maintained a good pace and avoided rocky and steep routes. She followed the safest and easiest route for Minju’s sake.


Hyewon felt the wind and sun kiss her face and she loved the ride. Her little world of happiness was short-lived as she felt Minju’s arms wrap around her waist. She even felt her head leaning on her back and heard her speak.


“I love you, Kwangbae…”


Hyewon stopped slowly, shocking Minju. She looked back to smile and speak. “I love you too, Min…”


“You heard me?”


“I have ears, baby.” Hyewon winked and drove again.


Minju was blushing again and ended up latching onto Hyewon.


+++


“Those women are cool.” Hyewon spoke as she munched the remnants of her lunch. “Imagine diving towards the dark realms of the big blue to get seafood.”


Minju chuckled of Hyewon’s fascination as she finished her drink. Hyewon was quick to empty her lunch and tossed the trash like a pro basketball player.


“That’s more awesome, Kwangbae.” Minju applauded.


Hyewon chanted her girlfriend not to flatter her. They watched the show again while making guesses on what the divers will catch. After two hours of the show, the couple went to the gift shop. Hyewon wowed of the angus and black pig plushies as Minju bought them couple shirts. 


“I get the angus and you get the black pig.” Minju handed her the shirt. 


Hyewon loved it. She got two plushies and bought them, giving Minju a cute angus.


“We should go back to the hotel.” Minju spoke. “Today’s itinerary has ended and we need some rest.”


Hyewon agreed to it. They quickly got to the car and drove back. 


“Ah~ this is the best trip ever.” Hyewon smiled and leaned on her seat.


“Glad you loved it.” Minju spoke.


“Even if it’s only a walk to the CVS, it’ll still be the best trip ever.” Hyewon spoke.


Minju was flattered within the drive. She had to focus on the road, though.


+++


The remaining time was spent in the hotel. It was now 7 in the evening and they recently finished dinner. For now, Hyewon was pigging out on the snacks while watching TV whereas Minju was looking at the brochure of their itinerary.


“Min, what are you doing?”


Minju looked up and Hyewon made the motion to kiss her. Minju tasted Hyewon’s sweet lips and the remnants of potato chips but she kissed back, releasing the brochure and pulling Hyewon close to her. They broke for air and Minju kept reaching for her face.


“Calm down, baby.” Hyewon sat properly on the bed, hugging Minju close.


Minju was a latched koala and Hyewon gave soft pats on her back. Minju broke a bit to finally cup her girlfriend’s face. “I forgot to bring the proper footwear. We might not get to climb towards the waterfall tomorrow.”


Hyewon chuckled and went to her luggage, letting out two pairs of aqua shoes and two pairs of sandals.


“Both are suitable for most terrains.” Hyewon showed the sandals. “The rocks will be slippery so we have to wear these.”


“One step ahead.” Minju pouted and went to hug Hyewon.


Hyewon nodded and hugged Minju back. She arranged the footwear for tomorrow and Minju pulled her back to the bed.


“We must turn off the lights first.” Hyewon chuckled and laid down Minju first.


“Quickly~” Minju whined.


Hyewon walked quickly like a ninja and the room was dimmed for bedtime. She also had to brush her teeth quickly because Minju was whining her to come to bed.


“Here I go.” Hyewon went to her side and plopped on it.


Minju quickly cuddled to Hyewon before she finally slept. Hyewon took time to adore her girlfriend before joining her in slumber.


+++ 


It was day two and a hot morning at 9 AM. Hyewon and Minju were at Jeongbang Waterfall and were hiking up towards the view with the best vantage point. Hyewon was wearing beach shoes while Minju wore the sandals.


“We don’t have the same footwear.” Minju whined while climbing. “Why did you wear aqua shoes, Kwangbae?”


Hyewon sighed at her girlfriend. They wore the couple shirts they bought, wore the same shorts, yet they wore different footwear.


“These have a better grip when walking on the slippery rocks.” Hyewon answered. “Come on. Continue walking. We don’t have all morning.”


Minju nodded and climbed first. Hyewon made sure of it so she’ll be alert in case Minju slips. And like the word of mouth turning into reality, Minju yelped towards slipping and Hyewon quickly caught her.


“Min, that’s the third time you almost slipped.” Hyewon spoke and crouched behind her. “Hop on my back.”


“Kwangbae, I’m heavy. I’ll just change into the aqua shoes.”


“It’s still a long way to the top, Min. Come on.” Hyewon spoke.


Minju couldn’t say no and nodded. Hyewon carried her slowly, adjusted her to a good position, and trekked at a careful pace. Minju could only clutch Hyewon tight and gasped on how Hyewon was stealthy with her trek. Nonetheless, they arrived on time. Hyewon gently puts Minju down and stretched her back.


“Kwangbae, let me change my footwear.”


Hyewon nodded and got Minju’s aqua shoes from the latter’s bag. She crouched to change them for her and puts her sandals back in her bag. They walked towards the view and wowed of seeing a rainbow and the ocean.


Hyewon got her camera and took Minju’s pictures and getting the favor returned. They stopped to look at the view for a while before hiking down.


“You’re getting on my back again.” Hyewon carried her girl again.


“But your back! It might hurt!” Minju spat. “Kang Hyewon! Put me down!”


Hyewon chose to ignore and followed the same careful trek down their car. They hopped in again and Minju drove with a puffy look on her face.


“Min, I’m okay.” Hyewon assured her. “You weren’t that heavy.”


“Aish! If I see a bruise or I see you limping, we’re going back to the hotel!” Minju snapped, freezing Hyewon. “I don’t care finishing the itinerary if it means letting myself take care of your well-being!”


“Yes, ma’am.” Hyewon saluted and kept silent, not wanting to anger Minju any longer.


+++


Daepo Jusangjeolli Cliff was a mouthful but its view would make you mouth agape. Hyewon and Minju parked the car close to the cliff and the saw the formations in various shapes – from cubes to hexagons.


Hyewon was always quick to take a picture yet Minju’s smiles were not as vibrant as yesterday. Minju had no time for that as she was worried about Hyewon because of the trek.


What if Hyewon’s back was aching? What if she stepped on a rock or scratched herself along the way without saying anything? She wanted to stop the itinerary and rest at the hotel but Hyewon insisted that they should finish it. After all, Hyewon didn’t want Minju’s efforts be wasted.


“Min.” Hyewon called her. “I’m okay.”


“Are you sure?” 


“Cross my heart.” Hyewon did the gesture. “We only have Seopjikojji and Seogwipo Maeil Olle Market so we’ll return after we eat.”


“Alright.” Minju sighed and hugged her. “But you have to tell me right away if you’re hurt or tired.”


“Back to you, baby.”


Minju continued to hug Hyewon, adding a kiss on her jaw. Hyewon hugged back, cherishing the moment before they continue their itinerary.


+++


Hyewon was a happy soul as she ate lunch. Minju felt her anger fade and just adored her while eating.
Grilled black pork, crab croquettes, kimbap, fried chicken, and tteokbokki were their foods for lunch and Hyewon was trying each dish. Minju also had tries and got fed by Hyewon.


“Why only these? Can we order more, Min?”


“No. We’ll have a major dinner at the hotel.” Minju reasoned. “We’ll have a night swim later after the major dinner.”


“What’s the menu tonight?” Hyewon perked up at the sole mention of dinner.


“Secret~” Minju chanted. “Let’s wrap up this lunch.”


“One step ahead, ma’am.” Hyewon spoke before eating at quick speed.


Minju chuckled as she watched and joined her.


+++


Minju was pissed. She was sitting by the bed and watched a sleeping Hyewon sprawled on the bed, wearing a sleeveless fitting crop and her shorts. She had injuries from the trek and the pain triggered when they got to the hotel. Which is why, Hyewon was sleeping with small medicinal patches on her upper body and a large one on her sprained ankle.


Minju was pissed because Hyewon was hurt.


She laid next to her and became teary. She prepared this trip for them yet Hyewon got hurt. Her teary face was accompanied with soft sniffles but Hyewon had heightened senses. 


“Min! What’s – “


“Stay.” Minju asserted despite crying.


Hyewon moved slowly to lie down on her side and make room for Minju to hug her. The latter was quick to draw closer yet slow as she was careful not to cause Hyewon any more pain.


“I’m sorry for making you cry.” Hyewon patted her back. “I’ll be okay.”


“I know…” Minju mumbled through her chest. “…but I was so worried about you. I don’t want to see you hurt again, do you hear me?”


“I hear you.” Hyewon answered. “We’ll still have the major dinner and night swim, okay?”


“But – “


“Please?” Hyewon spoke. “Can’t I just enjoy this trip with you?”


“Just please…be careful.” Minju begged.


Hyewon nodded and slept again. Minju ended up joining her so they took a nap together.


+++


It was evening and the couple walked around the hotel. It was also a resort so they get to stroll around and have the chance to swim at the beach.
But first was the dinner. Hyewon wowed at the menu and was excited to eat. Minju couldn’t hold her happiness and this time, she served her food; one of each dish.


“Pork noodles, fresh abalone, charcoal-grilled black pork, and seafood hotpot. Just wow, Min…” Hyewon spoke as she took a sip of both soups.


“There’s one more.” Minju spoke as one of the waiters served it.


Hyewon hummed her wow as she was busy eating. She almost spits her food after the last dish was served yet she gulped the content down and wiped with a napkin.


“You got the black port BBQ from Michellin-starred restaurant Dombedon?!”


“Yes, baby.” Minju giggled. “I called the executive chef when we arrived here and she reserved us the best cuts. I asked them to be delivered here because my soul won’t handle leaving you for a second, especially that you’re injured.”


Hyewon turned soft and wanted to cry. Her girlfriend planned this trip and was always worried about her when she got hurt. Minju gave her the best trip of her life and she wouldn’t trade its memories for anything.


The sizzling pan made Hyewon return to reality as Minju grilled a cut. Hyewon was giddy to taste a piece yet Minju always reprimanded her to be patient. Nonetheless, it was a dinner worth remembering.


+++


Minju yelped as Hyewon ran towards the beach. She was excited to go for a swim but Minju stopped her. “Aish! Don’t rush off like that! Your sprain might get worse!”


“Sorry.” Hyewon pouted like a kid who got scolded. “I want to swim~”


“No swimming. Just dipping.” Minju faced her. “Be a good girl by not making me worry. Please?”


Hyewon nodded and sat on the sand. Minju sat next to her as they had to wait for most of the dinner’s calories to burn.


It was then that Hyewon took off her shirt, revealing the sleeveless crop top and a fine structure like it was chiseled by God Himself. Minju couldn’t help a gulp. Hyewon looked so hot. 


“Come on, Min~” Hyewon cooed as she stood up. “Let’s dip~” 


Minju watched Hyewon submerge on the water, rising up and doing . Minju followed her and the next thing they know, their shirts and footwear were resting on one part of the shore and they were dipping in the water.


The couple rose up and were in each other’s arms. Hyewon looked up, saying. “Look at the sky, Min.”


Minju saw the full moon and the glistening stars. She wowed, all the while Hyewon looked at her instead.


“They’re so beautiful.” Minju spoke.


“Not as beautiful as you, Min.”


Minju looked back and clicked a tongue before holding Hyewon close to her. She felt her strong build and her soaking medicinal patches. “Your patches…”


“Don’t look at those. Look at me.”


Minju obeyed and Hyewon had a soft look in her eyes. Minju saw the guilt of being cumbersome in this trip yet it was her own fault for being too worried about Hyewon.


“Hey…I’m sorry if I overreact.” Minju spoke. “I just want you away from any harm.


“I’m sorry too. I know you just care about me.” Hyewon added. “But I want to be happy for this trip, for you and for us. Right now, with you…” She reached to cup Minju’s cheek. “…this has been a perfect time for us.”


Minju agreed to it and Hyewon closed their gaps, pressing their lips in a deep kiss. Minju was quick to hold her and kiss back, letting her tongue delve inside to taste her goodness. As much as Hyewon wanted to make out, it was getting cold and her ankle was hurting again.


“Min…” Hyewon broke their steamy kiss. “…it hurts.”


Minju was quick to let go and help Hyewon out of the water. They wore their shirts and footwear again and returned to their hotel room.


+++


Hyewon winced as she puts an ice pack on her ankle. Minju was behind her, wiping her hair after a shower. She even blow-dried it so Hyewon can sleep early.


“Does it still hurt?” Minju asked.


“A little…but I can manage.”


“Kwangbae.” Minju hugged her from the back. “We have to go back to Seoul tomorrow. We won’t spend another day here.”


“Why not?” Hyewon asked, looking back.


“One, our main itinerary is complete. Two, you’re injured. And three, I got a chat from the rest of the members that they’ll return tomorrow.” Minju answered. “As much as I love to spend the whole three days with you, we have to return and not let the members raise suspicions about us.”


Hyewon agreed. Her injuries were tolling her and she didn’t want Minju to worry anymore. She had to follow Minju’s wishes.


“Okay.” Hyewon yawned. “Let me dry your hair before we sleep.”


Minju got in front of her carefully as Hyewon dried her hair. Minju loved Hyewon’s hands on her scalp, especially on how her touch acted up as a little massage. Nonetheless, they were finally fresh and dry. Minju unplugged the dryer and laid beside Hyewon.


“How was the trip?” Minju asked Hyewon. “Do you like it?”


“I love it so much, Min. It was the best special trip we’ve ever had.” Hyewon added. “I loved it more because you’re here with me.”


“I’m glad. I’m happy that you’re happy.” Minju whispered as she laid her head on Hyewon’s chest. “Thank you for being here with me. I wouldn’t trade any of this for the world.”


“I love you, Min.”


Minju heard it. She looked up and Hyewon was already asleep with a smile on her face. Minju wrapped herself around Hyewon before joining her.


“I love you too, Kwangbae.”


+++


It was the third day and it was time to say goodbye to Jeju. The couple checked out early morning at 8 AM and stopped by Geumneung and Hyeopjae beach before going to the port. The barge was expected at 11 AM so the couple spent three hours enjoying the view, taking pictures, and have brunch at a near café.


The trip from the Jeju port to Mokpo went smooth despite the long eight hours but the drive was smoother back to Seoul. Minju was driving and Hyewon was checking their group chat in case the members returned. Once they arrived at Seoul and returned the Suburban, they took a taxi back to their dorm.


“.” Hyewon cussed. “All of them have arrived.”


Minju gulped. She was still not ready to confess that she and Hyewon were together. Hyewon remained strong for them and promised Minju that she’ll be responsible. But then, Minju shook her head and held back.


“We’ll tell them together. You were right about the sunrise, Kwangbae.” Minju added. “It was a sign of hope; a hope that I can be courageous like you and we’ll tell the members together.”


Hyewon was happy for this moment. When they arrived, they got their stuff and Hyewon paid their fare. Once they got to the door with luggage on their hands, they breathed and slowly opened the door.


What was waiting inside were the members applauding them, welcoming their arrival.


“Eh? What’s going on?” Hyewon asked them.


“What a way to greet us, Kwangbae.” Yena added. “Make way for the happy couple.”


Hyewon and Minju gasped. The members created a path for them as YenYul grabbed their luggage. Minju was still shocked whereas Hyewon coughed and they went inside together.


“Wait.” Minju halted everything. “You guys know that we’re dating?!”


“Pretty much. Sakura and Chaewon figured it out first.” Eunbi shared. 


“We thought it was impossible because you two looked awkward. It turns out that we witnessed your lovey-dovey moments off-screen,” said Chaewon.


“And to think that started before we became IZ*ONE.” Sakura added. “It was all thanks to a promise of eating tripe together.”


Minju felt relieve, like all the weights have been lifted on her shoulders. Judging from the members, they supported it. 


All was well…


…until Hyewon winced because of her ankle.


“You okay, unnie?” Yujin asked, going to the other side to help her.


“Just a sprain. I’ll be fine.”


“Leave Minju to carry her, Yujin.” Nako spat.


Yujin did. Minju and Hyewon went to their rooms to rest, leaving the members to adore them before returning to their usual businesses.


It was all good. At least, they don’t look awkward anymore.