Just The Way You Are: Part 3 (KkuChaen ft. KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The days were going well. Chaeyeon and Sakura were making developments with the friendship, even making Hyewon the third wheel when they were at home. 


Today was a weekend and Chaeyeon and Sakura decided that all of their friends should hang out together. They ate in a restaurant as a table for twelve was ready for them. Chaeyeon and Hyewon were beside each other and Sakura sat across Chaeyeon. Their other friends caught up and they greeted each other.


“This is pretty new.” 


“I know, Yuri…but here we are.” Eunbi said. “What’s with the gathering? Is there something we need to celebrate?”


“Killjoy.”


“Calm down, everybody.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Can we just hang out like friends?”


They went silent and decided to order. Chaeyeon explained to why they were gathered. “Come on, guys. Our exams are over and we all passed. We should congratulate ourselves.”


“And Chaeyeon will treat us.” Yena whispered and everyone was happy.


Most of them ordered what they want and Chaeyeon added extra. Once the waiter got their orders, Sakura’s friends were so thankful for this moment.


“We never thought that THE Lee Chaeyeon would sit with us.”


“I’d say the same thing to you, Minju.” Chaewon spoke.


“Loverboy~” Yujin cooed.


“She’s just as whipped for you, Wonie.” Yuri added, causing Chaeyeon’s squad to laugh at their maknae.


“I almost failed the exam, though.” Wonyoung pouted. “But thanks to Kkura, I passed~”


“We have the first and second honor here.” Yena clapped for Sakura and Chaeyeon.


“We also have the last placer here.” Hyewon pointed at Yena and they had a laugh again.


The food came and all of them thanked Chaeyeon for the meal. As they ate, they talked about a lot of things. It was also a time for new friendships and a stronger one for Chaeyeon and Sakura.


“Guys. Something’s up.”


“What is it, Hitomi?” Nako asked.


They checked their phones and saw a video of Chaeyeon beating up the leeches. Everyone was shocked, especially Sakura’s friends. Hyewon slammed the table, shocking everyone even more.


“What’s this, Chaeyeon?” Yuri asked first.


“Don’t tell me you’re a bully like Sohyun.” Minju spoke too.


“She did that because those leeches bullied Sakura here.” Yena defended.


“Chaeyeon’s not a bully.” Chaewon snapped at Minju’s remarks. “She’ll never be like Sohyun!”


“We don’t know that.” Hitomi added.


“And we don’t know about you either.” Nako batted back. “There’s word that one of your friends is actually in cahoots with Sohyun.”


“Hey! We’re innocent!” Wonyoung crossed her arms.


“Don’t think so.” Yujin spoke. “Isn’t that right, Sakura?”


“Kkura?” Eunbi looked her friend. “Are they telling the truth?”


“Enough. Those are speculations.” Hyewon spoke, shocking the squad. “Sohyun’s destructive. She puts innocent lives in jeopardy, even Chaeyeon’s and Sakura’s. We mustn’t jump to conclusions.”


Chaeyeon grew pissed and gave Hyewon her credit card before she left the restaurant. Sakura followed her for she was worried about her being.


She was also worried about her great lie.


“Chaeyeon – “


Chaeyeon faced Sakura with tears on her face. Sakura felt heavy and hurt.  


“Can I be left alone?” Chaeyeon spoke. “Please?”


As much as Sakura was willing to obey Chaeyeon’s wishes, she can’t. “I don’t want to leave seeing you like this.”


“Then will you come with me somewhere?”


Sakura nodded and she followed Chaeyeon to her car. Chaeyeon may be distressed but she never lets it affect her driving. She drove them to a high ridge, leaving Sakura curious.


“Let’s go outside.” Chaeyeon spoke before she got out. 


Sakura followed her and watched as Chaeyeon screamed and cried. It was a persona that was completely opposite from her calm and composed nature. She screamed about being too nice, about having a cheating dad, and about her worry seeing her family get hurt if she tells the truth. She also screamed how frustrated she was that people would actually hate her despite herself being nice to them.


That made Sakura guiltier. She joined Chaeyeon in crying and screaming her frustrations. Chaeyeon even stopped as she heard Sakura’s sentiments.


She screamed how she hated that her parents never showed their true love to her. She screamed how they always choose her little brother. She screamed about her drunk dad wishing that she didn’t have her as his child. She screamed of missing her grandmother. She screamed about being bullied. She screamed about being a fool for liking Sohyun when she realized that the latter never liked her.


Yet amid that, she never screamed about the bet because she never wanted to hurt Chaeyeon.


The rain came to witness their sentiments and poured heavily around Seoul. Chaeyeon watched Sakura cry and was also shocked to see that side of her. Nonetheless, she pulled her for a tight hug. Sakura was still crying but she hugged Chaeyeon back.


It was at that moment that their heartbeats synced with the release of their raging emotions. They never thought they were similar in a way. Their sentiments and understanding towards each other brought them closer.


That is why, they question if love could be the same for them.


+++


Chaeyeon and Sakura fell silent after that emotional release. Sakura asked about the ridge and Chaeyeon just said, “This is my sanctuary.”


Sakura nodded. Of course. It was the place where you can tell everything. It was the place where you can shout and people will not care about it. It was a place to tell the truth without hurting anybody.


“I never thought you had daddy issues too, Sakura.” Chaeyeon spoke. “My dad became a cheater two years ago. When we were on a date, I saw him.”


“Is it why you were shocked?”


Chaeyeon nodded. “I thought about my mom, Chaeryeong, and Chaemin. If they find out, I won’t be able to take it because they’ll be in pain.”


Sakura nodded again. She aslo had her time to answer as Chaeyeon asked her about her dad.


“It was him at first. Being the eldest daughter, he was disappointed. He wanted a son. When my mom gave birth to my little brother, my dad gave him the attention I never had. My mom’s following his footsteps but Baba…” Sakura teared up. “…she’s the only who supported me.”


“Where are they? Didn’t they take you?”


“They’re on a vacation. I chose to be left out because I want to be away from them for once. Plus Baba deserved a break.” Sakura added. “But the one thing I never forgot was when my dad screamed at my face, wishing he had an eldest son instead.”


“We had our hearts broken, huh?”


“In a way.” Sakura spoke and reached for Chaeyeon’s hand. “But whatever happens, we have to live on. We need to be strong with it because even it cannot be undone, we need it to live on.”


Chaeyeon agreed to it and held Sakura’s hand back. It was then that their phones rang and they got call from their friends. They both hung them up and decided to go back.


+++


The journey back home was a stop for new clothes, towels, and medicine for flu since Sakura was showing symptoms. Sakura drank the medicine and Chaeyeon drove as fast as she could towards the Kang residence. Sakura was unconscious and Chaeyeon carried her inside, leaving a shocked Hyewon to drop her food.


Chaeyeon got to Sakura’s room and laid her properly, tucking her in her blanket and sitting by the bedside just to look at her.


Weeks were short for their friendship but Chaeyeon was feeling something. Sakura was sophisticated yet they had a good chemistry. They shared the same interests, the same sentiments…


…and the one thing Chaeyeon was feeling to which she hoped: love.


She was falling for her. Literally. 


Sakura shifted because of the sudden thud and Chaeyeon decided to return to her room. She shuts the connecting door and slumped on her own bed. 


Her heart was beating just thinking about Sakura and hopefully, she will strengthen it so she can tell her how she feels.


+++


Sakura gasped as she woke up in her bedroom. Her flu was gone yet her bullets of sweat and raging heartbeat were present, all thanks to a nightmare about Chaeyeon finding about the truth. She wouldn’t care about this. It was a bet after all.


But for the first time in her life, her heart was telling the truth. It never had Sohyun in the first place. It may have Chaeyeon for a short time but for sure, that feeling was true. And with the bet, she would never forgive herself if she broke Chaeyeon’s heart.


A knock was present on her door and Sakura spoke for the person to come in. The door opened and Eunbi and Hyewon came to view.


“Eunbi, what are you doing here?!”


“Hyewon invited me for a hangout. Long story.” Eunbi answered. “I came here to apologize to you and Chaeyeon for yesterday and I have something to discuss with you.”


Sakura nodded and quickly freshened up. Eunbi and Hyewon returned to the living room. 


“So much for a hangout…” Eunbi talked first. “Shouldn’t we wake up Chaeyeon?”


“Nah. She doesn’t wake up until noon. And besides…” Hyewon spoke. “…we can’t let her be part of this discussion.”


Eunbi knew Hyewon was right. Not long after, Sakura caught up to them and sat on the couch, head exchanging to look at the duo. “Since when are the two of you close?”


“Long story.” Eunbi reasoned right away. “Kkura…” She held her friend’s hand. “…I’m here to talk about your bet with Sohyun.”


“You told her?!” Sakura snapped at Hyewon.


“She didn’t. I connected the dots myself.” Eunbi defended her. “Is it true, Kkura?”


A simple nod made Eunbi sigh in despair. She lets go of Sakura’s hand and rubbed her temples. “I can’t believe you’d go this far for Sohyun.”


“I liked her. I wanted someone to like me for once. Liking Sohyun was a breaking point that I’d do anything for her to date me!” Sakura spoke, tears dropping. 


Hyewon felt sympathetic and Eunbi went to comfort her, mumbling a little apology for her choice of words. 


“It’s different now. I don’t like Sohyun anymore.” Sakura sniffled. “I’m not in love with her. I’m in love with Chaeyeon.”


Hyewon’s fists crumpled. Eunbi and Sakura noticed it and the cherry blossom apologized to Hyewon about the mess she made.


“You don’t deserve her! You’re going to break her heart!” Hyewon snapped despite her silent nature. 


“Can’t we just hide it?” Eunbi suggested, talking sense to Hyewon. “I know Kkura when she tells the truth. She means well. She really loves your best friend, Hyewon.”


Hyewon felt torn. She wanted to tell the truth to protect Chaeyeon yet she wanted to hide it so that it won’t hurt her.


“Help me, Hyewon…” Sakura spoke. “Please.”


“Come on, Kwangbae. Do it for Chaeyeon,” said Eunbi.


“Fine.” Hyewon hissed then pointed at Sakura. “If anything happens, you should be accountable. Understand?!”


Sakura crossed her heart. Hyewon was still worried yet Eunbi tried to calm her down. Just then, Chaeyeon came out of the room and greeted the three.


“Hey, Chaeyeon. Sorry about yesterday.”


“It’s okay, Eunbi.” Chaeyeon grinned then got to Sakura’s side. “Good morning. Are you okay now?”


Eunbi and Hyewon shared gazes and excused themselves, leaving the two of them in the living room.


“I’m okay now.” Sakura assured her. “Was I heavy? Did you have the flu too?”


Chaeyeon shook her head and Sakura hugged her. Chaeyeon’s heart thumped a lot yet her body never ceased to hug Sakura back.


Hyewon’s cough filled the house, just in time for Lady Kang to wake up. The four greeted the matriarch and she was obliged that there was an addition.


“You four look wonderful together. You should hand out.”


“We will, Grandma. But let’s have breakfast first.” Hyewon suggested, leaving all of them to laugh

 

+++


The hangout with the four friends ended up in pairs. Hyewon and Eunbi wanted time for themselves and for Chaeyeon and Sakura to have their own time together. The latter thought of the same thing and now, they were in a park. Sakura was smiling as Chaeyeon was showing her simple magic tricks.


Sakura thought of Chaeyeon as the first placer, the advocate of anti-bullying, and the most precious partner on dates. She never thought she was more than that, that she was very gifted and that she was very nice to people.


Just then, a band performed and they were looking for a volunteer to sing their music. Chaeyeon lets Sakura wait as she did the honors. And boy, was Sakura very whipped for Chaeyeon’s angelic voice?


She was mesmerized. Her gaze was solely on Chaeyeon and she never wanted to look away. But all of that had to end as Chaeyeon finished singing. People applauded yet Sakura stood to cheer. Chaeyeon bowed then returned to Sakura. “How did I do?”


“You were awesome!” Sakura hugged her.


Chaeyeon loved the hugs and she loved them more when she hugged back. They broke and Chaeyeon held her hand as they decided to eat at a restaurant. They got to a secluded spot and ended up smiling at each other.


“What’s with this, Chaeyeon?”


“I wanted to make this day special and worthwhile. I wanted us to have a date again.”


The food came quickly and they ate and talked. It looked like the usual date but for them, every second of spending time together was something worth treasured for. 


And for Chaeyeon’s case, it was a perfect moment to tell her deepest feelings.


“Sakura…” She held her hand and looked her her. “…I’m in love you.”


Sakura’s tear dropped and Chaeyeon was quick to wipe them. Sakura was speechless but Chaeyeon’s gaze never lied.


She was very lucky to meet such an angel. “Ch-Chaeyeon…”


“I’m in love with you.” Chaeyeon said again. “I know weeks are short to prove that but when I’m with you, I feel happy. I’ve never felt this happy in my entire life. I’m thankful that you came into my life…” She held her hand and their fingers caressed each other’s hands. “I won’t force you if you don’t feel the same way. But if you don’t have someone…” She looked at her. “…will you let me wait for you?”


“M-Me too…”


“Sakura…”


“I’m in love with you too.” Sakura spoke as she shuts her eyes. “You’re very kind to others. You’re adorable, a dork, and very talented. You’re perfect that I never thought you were real. And you don’t have to wait for me because…” She raised her arms. “I never felt this way and I think we should be together!”


Chaeyeon’s smile was wider than the splitting of the Red Sea. Sakura was flushed yet she was relieved to finally say what’s in her heart. Chaeyeon raised her arms to place Sakura’s hands down and she held them tenderly again.


“So…is this the start?” Chaeyeon asked.


“Yes.” Sakura spoke and they shared laughs again.


They resumed their date and it was beginning of a life together.