Love, Anniversaries, and Surprises (KkuChaen)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Love. 


What is love?


All of us are learn it from various places – from our homes to our schools. It’s not paid to act that way nor to express it but sometimes, we trade it off in order to experience it in a bigger and realer way.


“Come on…” A girl in her school uniform was pacing outside her home, phone in hand. 


The receiver didn’t answer and the girl was frustrated. She went back to her house and gave a shock to her two parents in lab coats and her two sisters in their uniforms. 


“Chaeyeon, why are you still here?”


“Dad…Kkura’s not picking up.” Chaeyeon added. “Can you send me to school today?”


“Chaeyeon, your school’s route is opposite to the hospital and to your sisters’ school. We can’t make reroutes.” Her father spoke. “And isn’t Sakura picking you up?”


“But she’s running late! I am running late!” Chaeyeon spoke. “I have a quiz today!”


A honk was heard. Chaeyeon’s family raised their eyebrows and Chaeyeon stopped her refute, said her goodbyes, and rushed outside. Seeing the Black Ford Ranger by their gate, she instantly got inside and buckled her seatbelt.


“Don’t I get a good morning, love?”


Chaeyeon sighed and looked at the driver multitasking with her driving and putting her uniform on. Nonetheless, Chaeyeon helped in adjusting her uniform. “Morning, Kkura.”


Chaeyeon returned to look at the window. Realizing the sudden anger, Sakura drove faster and talked to her. “I’m sorry if I was late.”


“Why were you late?” Chaeyeon asked. 


“Traffic was a today.” Sakura spoke and reached to hold Chaeyeon’s hand. 


Chaeyeon didn’t drive Sakura’s hand away but she held back with the quite the aggression, causing Sakura to wince a bit.

“Are you really mad about this, love? You’re holding very hard.” She winced again as Sakura clenched her fingers with her own. “You know…we can stop by your favorite café and order your favorite yoghurt cake, if that’s what you want.”


“What the is this?” Chaeyeon released her hold and showed that hand, sweat full of glitter. 


“It was that damn hamster. She pranked me on my sleep while we made our project.” Sakura spoke and scraped the glitter off her hand. “I heard she forgot to return your MP4 player. Shall I get it from her?”


“I sense you being dishonest right now.” Chaeyeon spoke and pointed at a heart-shaped sticky note next to the compartment.


Chaeyeon showed it to her in all of its glittery and sticky glory. It even had their names written with an X in the middle and ‘forever’ in the end. Sakura’s eyes went wide but she had to focus on the road. “Ah…anyone could’ve made that.”


Chaeyeon flipped the note around and it had Sakura’s name on it. 


“Alright. So what?” Sakura remarked. “It’s the many ways that I want to express my feelings towards you.”


Somehow, Chaeyeon’s heart went soft. They finally arrived at the school and Sakura parked her car next to tree that bore her name. 


“Really, Kkura?” Chaeyeon asked as Sakura unbuckled her seatbelt.


“Of course. I love you so much, Jjaeyeon.” Sakura spoke and cupped Chaeyeon’s cheeks. “I love you so much that I dream of you every night and the nightmare I only had was that you don’t begin and end your life with me anymore.”


Chaeyeon would’ve wanted to listen more but the school bell rung. Chaeyeon cussed and got out of the car, with Sakura following her until they arrived at Chaeyeon’s classroom. 


“Good luck on the quiz, love~” Sakura smiled. “See you at lunchtime.”


Chaeyeon just nodded but Sakura stopped her and puckered her lips. Chaeyeon felt embarrassed but she gave her a peck. “Now go.”


“I love you.” Sakura spoke. 


“I love you too.” Chaeyeon replied and got to her seat.


Sakura ran back to get to her classroom as she was relieved. As she got to her classroom, she got a hit. “You could’ve thrown me a snack, Yuri.”


“I can’t believe you left me at your home.” Yuri whined. 


“Yena has a car, you hamster. Surely she would pick you up.” Sakura added and got to her seat. “By the way, thanks for helping me with the ‘project’ yesterday.”


Yuri just chanted on how cheesy and corny Sakura’s words were but it’s the things she would do for two of her friends. “Remember that you owe me a gift for Yena in our anniversary.”


“Deal.” Sakura shook her hand and swore to her word.


+++


“Okay. We’re done.” 


“Aw, come on, Ssamu~ Jjoyul~” Sakura called as watched them pack their stuff. “One more flower.”


“We’re tired, Kkura.” Yuri slumped on her sleeping bag. 


“Plus, Minju and Yena will pick us up.” Chaewon got her towel and went to the shower room. “We still have five days, Kkura. We can finish it, okay?”


Sakura agreed. Chaewon and Yuri have helped a lot and she wouldn’t want to pressure them, not because they were her friends but because she might get her kicked by them.

Sakura sighed and checked her watch and cussed, grabbing a towel and knocking on the bathroom. “It’s almost 7, Ssamu! Hurry up!!”


Yuri joined her in knocking the door, resulting them to share the shower. After eating breakfast and changing on their uniforms, Chaewon and Yuri got out just in time for Yena and Minjoo to arrive. Sakura got out last, hair disheveled and she buttons her uniform.


“Still going on with the plan, Kkura?” Minju asked. “I’ll remind you to pay us for the poster. Yena and I made the arrangements and Yujin edited it so – “


“Yeah. I’ll put it in your card later. Then you can divide it.” Sakura spoke and got to her car. “See you at school!”


Sakura drove as quick as she could while taking care of herself in her car, just how Mr. Bean would when he had his dentist’s appointment. Nonetheless, she arrived at Chaeyeon and was late again.


“Look who finally arrived.” Chaeyeon sighed as she got in.


“I’m sorry, love.” Sakura huffed while she adjusted her tie. “I had a minor problem with the drainage system in my apartment.”


Instead of spitting at Sakura for her tardiness, Chaeyeon adjusted her tie for her. She even wiped Sakura’s sweat and fixed her hair. 


“No wonder you smell like you haven’t showered.” Chaeyeon said, getting Sakura’s perfume in the compartment and spraying her. 


Sakura smiled and drove quicker than usual. They arrived at their school and Sakura parked at the usual spot.


It would’ve been the usual say but sadly, Chaeyeon just hopped off the car without saying anything, leaving Sakura to look at her while sighing.


“Just a few days, love…” Sakura mumbled. “Few days more and it’ll be like the usual…”


+++


Lunch time wasn’t the usual either. Sakura and Chaeyeon only had little time together but Sakura had to excuse herself with Hyewon because of an errand. Chaeyeon lets her be and remained with Eunbi.


“You’re quite down. Is something wrong?” Eunbi asked as she downed her tea.


“I don’t know how you and Kwangbae get through your relationship but recently, I’m struggling.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Kkura has been distant. She never does that.”


“Maybe she had something to do. Give her some slack, Chaeyeon.” Eunbi added. “She needs to have fun on her own too.”


“Does she not have fun when she’s me? I’m her girlfriend. You feel the same for Kwangbae, right?” Chaeyeon asked. “Kkura and I have been together for two years. Why now?”


“I don’t make the universal choices, Chae.” Eunbi shrugged. “If you want to have a lasting relationship, invest on trust, not worry.”


Hyewon and Sakura returned from their errand and gave attention to their girlfriends. Despite the tension Chaeyeon and Sakura had, they were still lovey dovey towards each other.


“Hey. I’m sorry if I’m late in picking you up recently.” Sakura spoke. “I had a lot of things to do lately.”


“Then call me next time, okay? I can understand and I trust you.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Don’t you trust me?”


Sakura hugged her girl tight. Chaeyeon hugged back and nuzzled on Sakura’s neck. 


“Of course, I do. Next time. I’ll do that.” Sakura hugged her. “I’ll commit my time to you this time. I will continue to make our relationship work.”


Chaeyeon went soft and hugged Sakura back, making Eunbi and Hyewon look at them.


“Get a ing room.” Hyewon commented.


Sakura pulled Chaeyeon up and they went out of the canteen together, side by side and linked to the hips.


+++


It was a weekend and to compensate the days of being late in picking up, Sakura picked Chaeyeon up from her house and spent their date in Sakura’s apartment.


Sakura got her car parked. She went out first and escorted Chaeyeon inside. 


“It’s cleaner than the last time I visited.” Chaeyeon said as she looked around. “Nice job~”


“Thanks, love. I did it just as you told me.” Sakura smiled and went to the kitchen. “I prepared your favorite yoghurt drink. I’ll get you a glass.”


Chaeyeon nodded and sat by the couch. She waited while looking around as she saw a locked room close to the basement.


Weird. I haven’t seen that part before.


“Kkura, what’s that room?” Chaeyeon pointed it out as Sakura returned from your kitchen.


Sakura gave her the glass and laughed it out. “It’s none of your concern, love.”


Chaeyeon wasn’t up for games. She asked it again and Sakura pinned her on the couch, causing Chaeyeon to grow worried.


“I said it’s none of your concern.” Sakura spoke as she inched closer.


Chaeyeon’s heart pounded because of their distance. Not only that, she was pinned on the couch and was inches away from kissing Sakura. She shuts her eyes and waited for it to unfold…


…until a ding from the kitchen ruined the moment.


“The steaks are ready, love. Hungry?” Sakura asked as she returned to the kitchen.


Chaeyeon got up from the couch and felt peculiar with Sakura’s actions. She decided to look around the apartment for any clues until she stopped by Sakura’s bedroom. She looked around and stopped at a corkboard behind the door.
It was almost ed up. It had her picture in the middle connected to various pictures, like how detectives track down the mysteries and its suspects. 


“Jjaeyeon?”


Chaeyeon had to open the door and saw Sakura holding a knife. “Love, put the knife down!”


“Oh, sorry…” Sakura went back to the kitchen to return it. 


Chaeyeon was tensed. She and Sakura may have been together for two years but she didn’t expect their relationship to escalate like so. 


She stopped thinking about it as Sakura returned. “Jjaeyeon, what brought you to my bedroom?”


Think of a distraction, Lee Chaeyeon.


Chaeyeon grabbed Sakura by the head and kissed her. It would’ve been a peck but it got hotter with holds and touches. That went on for a while until both had to breathe for air. Sakura was shocked to the point her face was red and her nose was bleeding. For Chaeyeon, her hair was disheveled.


“J-Jj-Jjaeyeon!” Sakura was flushed. “You scaled me up again!”


“Should we go further?”


Sakura’s nose bled again. “Not today, love. Maybe someday.” She wrapped an arm around Chaeyeon’s waist. “Now let’s have lunch.”


+++


Chaeyeon loved the simple meal of steak, potatoes, and good wine. Sakura was happy enough to see Chaeyeon happy. Chaeyeon volunteered to wash their dishes as Sakura excused herself to answer a call. Chaeyeon did the dishes quickly and was shocked that Sakura was still calling and was giving information about her physical structure. She was a little scared but she waited by the living room and her eyes got caught on Sakura’s key holder. It had her apartment’s spare keys, her car keys…


…and a mysterious key.


It hit Chaeyeon. It might be the key to the locked room near the basement.


Something inside Chaeyeon made her stand up and get the key, almost failing thanks to herself dropping the car keys. Chaeyeon saw Sakura looking back then resuming her call that she got the keys and rushed slowly towards the locked room. She unlocked the room, seeing a messy room filled with red.


“What the is this?!”


“I told you not to come there, Jjaeyeon.” Sakura spoke and was behind her.


Chaeyeon screamed and ran around the house and got to the backyard, seeing a table for two, some food, and Minju with her guitar. 


“Surprise?” Minju spoke.


“Love!” Chaeyeon was surprised as Sakura caught up to her. “Ah…you were supposed to be surprised later.”


Chaeyeon looked back at Sakura and she had paper flowers on hand and they were shaped like cherry blossoms. She got closer to Chaeyeon and gave them to her, adding a kiss on the forehead. “Happy Anniversary, love…”


Chaeyeon couldn’t believe what was happening. She could only hug Sakura back and sniffle. “You remember…”


“Of course, I did.” Sakura spoke. “It’s why I was always late in picking you up in school. I was planning this surprise for you.”


Chaeyeon whined and hugged Sakura still. It was then Sakura decided to Chaeyeon towards the table and a waiter serves them.


“Good twilight.” Hyewon waved and served them some champagne. “Your steaks will be up in a jiffy.”


She rushed to the kitchen and Chaeyeon was having a blast. It was then she asked Sakura about everything she had witnessed. “What was with that glittered heart in your car?”


“It was the first surprise. I made it the whole night. That’s why I had glitter on my hands.”


“Was the draining system part of it too?”


“Yeah. I used it as an excuse to make those paper flowers.”


“What about the corkboard?”


“Eunbi made it to tackle your interests but I said them all to her.” Sakura spoke. “Yoghurt, steak, and paper roses.”


Sakura made one appear and added it to her paper flower bouquet. Chaeyeon was having the time of her life. Hyewon returned with their food and they ate for the second time.


“What about that forbidden room?”


“Also a surprise.” Sakura spoke and pointed by the left.


Yena was out of the bushes and showed a painted tarp saying “Happy 2nd Anniversary~”


“I worked hard on this,” said Yena, coughing out leaves.


“And that phone call?”


“It was Yujin. I wanted to give you a poster and she offered to edit it so…” Sakura got something from below. “…here you go, love.”


Chaeyeon wowed of the artwork. All the efforts done made her teary. Sakura got to her side and wiped them all away.


“I’m sorry if I had been away lately. I just wanted you to have the best.” Sakura spoke. “I love you, Jjaeyeon. And I meant it that I dream of you every night and the only nightmare I had was that you won’t begin and end your life with me anymore.”


Chaeyeon whined that Sakura hugged her tight. Chaeyeon sniffled, saying. “You put a lot of effort. I couldn’t even give you something because I was so worried your forgot about it.”


“But you did give me something.” Sakura said. “You gave yourself to me plus that hot kiss.”


Chaeyeon smirked and cupped Sakura’s face. “And I’m about to do that again.”


Sakura couldn’t say a word as her lips were sealed with Chaeyeon’s, causing the rest to coo while causing Hyewon to yell. “Get a ing room!”


From that day on, Chaeyeon realized that Eunbi was right in investing on trust. With the second year touched down, more love, anniversaries, and surprises await the couples within the travails of what their hearts truly desired.