Just The Way You Are: Part 2 (KkuChaen ft. KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Squeals of girls surrounded the school the next day for they were witnessing seven girls passing by. 


They were the most popular girls in school for their brains, brawns, bite, and brutes. Six of them were close while the last cared nothing but herself. They may have sat within the same table but the were was tension that the public will never know.


“Ready for today’s game, Chaeyeon?”


“As always, Sohyun.” Chaeyeon nodded. “Nako, lay down the chess board.”


The cutest of the seven sets the game and waved to her fans, getting squeals on how cute she was. Sohyun and Chaeyeon were up to a fresh start, moving pieces and losing them. Their fans were gathered around, cheering for either to win.


But then, Chaeyeon made a move and spoke. “Checkmate~”


Sohyun chuckled and lost, causing the rest to cheer loudly for Chaeyeon, even the squad was happy.


“We’re off to a draw, Chaeyeon.” Sohyun tallied. “But this isn’t the last. I’ll win this time.”


Chaeyeon nodded then waved at a person behind her. The latter waved back and got to their table.


“Since when are you friends with her?” 


“You and your mouth, Yena.” Chaeyeon sighed. “Hey, Sakura.”


Sohyun yawned and decided to go somewhere else and the squad bid their farewell. Sohyun walked away and a tail of fangirls were with her. Once the coast was clear, Yena and Nako had the laugh.


“Can you believe that ?” Yena spoke, holding her stomach. “Chaeyeon can never beaten in a chess game.”


“She was only beaten because Chaeyeon withdrew,” said Nako.


“And I had to withdraw because I got hungry.” Chaeyeon voiced back. “But still, it’s not nice to say those things.”


Nako and Yena mumbled their apologies as Chaeyeon had a large pack from her bag. One of them was the first to get a lot of contents inside as the rest had their share. Chaeyeon got hers and an extra one for Sakura. “Here you go, buddy.”


“T-Thanks…” Sakura smiled and got her share.


“Hyewon’s going to eat everything, including the paper.”


“Very funny, Chaewon.” She spoke and ate again.


Sakura took a bite of the sandwich and thought that it was the most delicious thing in the world. 


“You like it?”


“I love it, Chaeyeon~” Sakura took a bite again. “Where did you buy these?”


“She makes them, Sakura.” Chaewon spoke. “Chaeyeon’s a very good cook.”


Sakura took many bites and emptied the wrapper, shocking the rest. Chaeyeon chuckled whereas everyone looked at Hyewon.


“You got beaten in an eating contest, buddy,” said Nako.


“So what?” Hyewon spoke as the crumbs rained upon their table. “I’m having the time of my life.”


“Real question, though. How are you two close?”


“Yujin.” Nako and Chaewon nudged her.


Sakura understood their concern. She and Chaeyeon never talked to each other in class. Heck, they don’t even bat each other in the eye. The sudden closeness was awkward, even Hyewon thought something was fishy.


“She’s in our class. And what’s wrong about having more friends?” Chaeyeon started and gave Sakura another sandwich. “You’re always welcome with us, okay?”


Sakura thanked her and ate another sandwich. Chaeyeon told everyone to enjoy their lunch and asked for requests on what to make next time. Sakura watched Chaeyeon’s friends raise their hands and talk about stuff but her focus was on Chaeyeon.


Sohyun was wrong and the other students were right about her.


Don’t fool yourself, Sakura.


This was just a first impression. Anything might change. And besides, this was her chance to date Sohyun and she was never going to lose that chance.


+++


Sakura was rushing on her class. Her parents didn’t send her since her little brother was prioritized. Despite her grandmother insisting, it was turned a blind eye, forcing Sakurs to take a bus to school.


Her arrival was twice as bad. She got tripped over by Sohyun’s friends and they even pasted a note on her back. She didn’t care about that and went towards her locker, meeting her own set of friends along the way.


“Kkura, what’s with the bad hair?” One of them fixed her hair. 


“Sorry, Eunbi. I was in a rush.”


Eunbi had a sharp eye and got the note. She read the content and she crumpled it right away.


“What did it say?”


“Nothing.” Eunbi tossed it in the trash can.


But then, Chaeyeon caught it, getting an applaud from Hyewon. She opened the crumpled paper, only to crumple it again and throw it in the trash. “ing leeches.”


“Hey, Chaeyeon. Hyewon.” Eunbi waved and Sakura had her chance to greet them too.


“Who wrote that?” Chaeyeon asked about the paper. 


“Ah – it’s fine, Chaeyeon.” Sakura spoke. “I don’t give a about it.”


“But that’s not nice. Those leeches deserved to be punished.”


Eunbi and Hyewon just looked at each other and Sakura thought Chaeyeon was scary when she gets mad. But amid the fear was a flattered heart because Sakura never thought Chaeyeon would care.


“It’s those same leeches, Chaeyeon.” Eunbi spoke. “The ones that were in Sohyun’s noses before.”


“Okay.” Chaeyeon reverted back to normal as the bell rang. “Let’s go.”


Chaeyeon went head and Sakura followed. Eunbi and Hyewon went in last as Hyewon mumbled something. “You shouldn’t have said that.”


“So what if I did?” Eunbi asked.


“You don’t know what Chaeyeon’s like. And besides…” Hyewon added. “…I don’t trust Sakura.”


Eunbi scoffed as Hyewon got to her seat. As she got to hers, she still scoffed on how stupid Hyewon’s words were.


+++


Two girls were beaten to death by one. They were bloody and begging for redemption yet the latter was considerate through a choke.


“I can’t believe we’re doing this again.”


“Yah, Lee Chaeyeon! Spare us some slack!” One of them spat. “It was just a sticky note.”


“And what right do you two have to write mean words to Sakura? You think this is funny?”


They shook their heads and Chaeyeon throws them off. They ran for their lives despite their beaten selves and met with another girl, earning slaps from her.


“Wow. Chaeyeon has kicked your again.”


“She found us messing with Sakura.”


“And what right do you have to mess with her? Only I can mess with her, you hear me?!”


“Yes, Sohyun!” They bowed.


Sohyun rolled her eyes and asked. “You think she’d betray us? That girl’s whipped for me.”


“But what if, Sohyun?” 


“Then that’s the time you interfere.” Sohyun spoke. “Now get lost.”


They went off again and Sohyun regained her composure. Even if she plastered a usual expression, her heart screamed hate and revenge.


She was going to make sure that the plan will work well.


+++


Kitteol~ you have to come here at my house.


“I can’t, Kwangbae. I’m not in the mood.” 


Chaeyeon chuckled of Hyewon’s whines through the phone. She had finished her workout and it was raining outside so she all the excuse to bail Hyewon’s plea.


The call had to end as Chaeyeon was called for dinner. She went down in the kitchen and her face suddenly went grim because of another person in the house.


“Dad, you promised you’d take me to Disneyland.”


“I know, Chaemin.” He scooped his daughter up. “All of us will go – “


“I’ll pass on that one.” Chaeyeon added. “And Mom, I’m going to Hyewon’s place for a group study.”


“Come on, unnie. You don’t need that. You’re the smartest girl in school.”


“Uptight as always, Chaeryeong. Doesn’t really pay when you’re tied to someone.”


“You should be away from that Sohyun, unnie. My gut feeling says that she’s up to no good to you.” Chaeryeong added. “You know, Dad, she’s been rivalled to unnie here but unnie always sees her a friend. What a saint.”


“Chaeyeon. This is the only time that we’re complete.” Her mother spoke. “Can you skip that group study? I’m sure your friends will understand.”


“I don’t think Dad won’t mind.” Chaeyeon raised her eyebrow. “Right, Dad?”


He agreed and told her that they’ll save her some food. Chaeyeon insisted that she won’t come home for tonight and we’ll sleep at Hyewon’s house. Her mother was concerned yet Chaeyeon went to her room to pack stuff and drove to Hyewon’s house in her Ford Ranger.


Chaeyeon had her reasons why she seemed distant with her father and she’ll stick to it.


+++


Sakura felt awkward staying at her neighbor’s house but due to her family’s instructions and due to their house connected to the neighbor’s, she had no choice.


Her family were off to a family vacation yet Sakura insisted to stay because of school. Her family agreed but in one condition: she had to be supervised by Lady Kang, the owner of the neighboring house who happened to be her grandmother’s best friend.


“Your parents locked our bridge, didn’t they dear?”


“They did, Halmeoni. I can’t access the house until they return.” Sakura nodded. “Thank you for letting me stay here.”


“Aigoo~ you’re always welcome here. I made Emiko sure about it.” Lady Kang said. “Come on. I’ll give you a tour.”


Sakura followed the old lady and wowed of the place. It was just as grand as their home but it had more coral themes than pastel pink. She was also shown her room that was completely barren with the exclusion of books.


“Mind me for the clutter, dear. I’ll remove those by tomorrow.”


“Oh, no! It’s okay, Halmeoni. I have less stuff anyway.” Sakura spoke. “Plus I love your collection of books.”


“Thank you. And here’s the bathroom…” Lady Kang then showed a door. “Just a reminder, dear. These rooms are connected. So whenever you use the bathroom, don’t forget to lock it. My granddaughter’s best friend sometimes visits here and stays in this room.”


Sakura nodded and they returned to the living room. Lady Kang instructed the maids to make dinner when a familiar girl got out of her room. The greetings shocked her and Sakura.


“Kwangbae~ why did you wake up from your nap?”


“Grandma, you said dinner.” Hyewon spoke as she rubbed her eyes. “I’m hungry.”


It was a small world, Sakura thought. She never thought Hyewon was the said granddaughter as much as Hyewon never thought that Sakura was the said visitor.


“You two must know each other. You’re in the same class, right?” 


Sakura and Hyewon nodded. It was then that Lady Kang told Hyewon to look after Sakura at school and gave her affection like grandparents always do to their grandchildren. Hyewon felt embarrassed but Sakura thought it was wholesome. After all, her own grandmother was like that to her.


Lady Kang stopped the affection and told Hyewon to go back to sleep. She also lets Sakura go to her room to freshen up.  


The doorbell rung and Lady Kang went to get it. She greeted the visitor and gave her a warm hug. “Chaeyeon-ah~”


“Good evening, Halmeoni.” Chaeyeon greeted. “Is Kwangbae home?”


Hyewon woke up again and took over to entertain her best friend. Lady Kang offered Chaeyeon dinner but the latter respectfully declined.


“I’ll just serve her in her room, Grandma.” Hyewon spoke and Lady Kang gave a thumbs-up. 


Chaeyeon rubbed her temples and went to her room immediately. Hyewon bombarded question to why she was here yet she remembered why.


“Did your Dad come home?”


“I’ll talk to you tomorrow, okay?” Chaeyeon spoke. “I’m tired, Kwangbae.”


“But you have to eat dinner before you sleep. I’ll leave it on the station.” 


Chaeyeon nodded and went inside just as Hyewon was about to remind her about their other visitor. Hyewon was at a loss for this shocking evening and decided to let dinner calm her nerves.


+++


Morning came early and Sakura was up. She did stretches and fixed her up, unbeknownst that Chaeyeon just got inside the bathroom to take a shower. She got inside with her towel and toiletries and brushed her teeth.


Chaeyeon was taking a shower when she heard brushing noises. She finished quickly and unfolded the curtain, gasping at what she saw. “Sakura?!”


Sakura looked and screamed. She also covered her eyes as Chaeyeon was shocked. “H-Hey! What’s wrong? And what are you doing here?!”


Sakura pointed at her and Chaeyeon yelped since she faced Sakura . She wrapped herself with a towel as Sakura went frantic. Chaeyeon went to calm her down when Sakura’s fist landed on Chaeyeon’s face. Chaeyeon winced as Sakura rushed to her room, shutting the door behind her.


Chaeyeon got up and returned to hers and was shocked that her morning became this wild.


+++


Hyewon’s laughs filled the whole dining area as Lady Kang questioned Sakura about what happened. Sakura had no answer for she was shocked about Chaeyeon’s presence and was sorry about the accident. Nonetheless, Lady Kang and Sakura served the other food and Chaeyeon and Sakura glared at Hyewon to shut her up before they dig in.


“Halmeoni, it was a matter of being startled towards each other.” Sakura spoke and Lady Kang bought it.


“And it was also a matter of misinformation because a best friend didn’t tell me that the other room was occupied.” Chaeyeon added, glare still present.


Hyewon made a peace sign while eating. Sakura also spared an apology to Chaeyeon and like a saint, Chaeyeon said it was okay.


“I apologize for this, Sakura. This is the best friend I talked about. Chaeyeon.”


“Don’t worry, Halmeoni. We know each other.” Chaeyeon spoke.


Lady Kang was delighted about this small world. “Chaeyeon here is also like my granddaughter. That’s why she feels at home – Kwangbae~ Kitteol~” She whined. “You ate all the hotdogs~”


Hyewon kept eating yet Chaeyeon froze. She decided to stop eating and offered two untouched pieces to Sakura. “Here, Kkura. You can have my hotdogs.”


Hyewon was crying our of laughter while was still stuffed. Sakurs accepted the offer and thought Chaeyeon was a sweet angel…


…a sweet angel with a cocky best friend.


“Thanks, Chaeyeon. And Halmeoni…” Sakura spoke. “…it seems Hyewon really loves hotdogs.”


“She loves food in general. My Kwangbae’s such a cute pig sometimes but I love to spoil her.”


Chaeyeon had her turn to laugh and Hyewon whined to her grandma. The breakfast turned out to be lively as they ate. And in Sakura’s case, those two hotdogs tugged her heartstrings a bit.


She was eating a good breakfast but it was also mixed with guilt.


+++


“I hope you’re not giving up, Sakura.”


Sakura closed her locker to see Sohyun. She was still flushed about her but her true conscience was fighting it.
“I’m excited about our date soon.” Sohyun spoke. “I have a good place for us.”


“Can’t I just do another condition, Sohyun?” Sakura asked. “I can’t do this.”


“Of course, you can. I’m cheering you on.” Sohyun held her shoulders. “I want our date to happen.”


Oh, how Sakura’s inner conscience lost. Sohyun’s charm had succeeded yet again.


“Okay.”


“Good. See you later.” Sohyun patted her back before leaving.


Sakura followed Sohyun in the classroom and the same leeches trip her again.


And again, Chaeyeon managed to catch her. For the leeches, they ran back to their seats. 


“Thanks again, Chaeyeon.” Sakura faced her. “And I’m so sorry about your eye.”


Chaeyeon wore an eye patch, shocking the class. Even Sohyun thought it was a bonus. 


“You didn’t mean to. It’s Kwangbae’s fault.”


Hyewon’s “Hey!” surrounded the classroom and the two laughed. Sakura gave Chaeyeon a little cold compress to ease the pain.


“Thanks, Sakura. But you know…you can also make it up to me by spending a day together tomorrow. Just the two of us.”


“I’d love to.” Sakura said. “How’s eight o’ clock sound?”


“Great!” Chaeyeon agreed.


The bell rang and they returned to their seats. As they sat, Chaeyeon and Sakura felt their heartstrings tug.


Today was going to be a nice day.

 

+++


Sakura was up early in the morning. She was even more careful to check on the bathroom door, even if Chaeyeon returned to her house. Nonetheless, she did her usual routines and got ready for breakfast.


“Good morning, Halmeoni. Hyewon.”


“What’s with the lovely get-up, Sakura?” Lady Kang asked. 
“Well, I’m hanging out with a friend today.” 


“Kwangbae, you should join them.” 


Hyewon stopped eating, saying. “I can’t, Grandma.” She suddenly glared at Sakura. “I can’t interrupt a date.”


Sakura gulped and was confused about Hyewon. Hyewon resumed to eat her meal and Sakura followed quietly. 


+++


Chaeyeon was in a library, looking good on her simple white collared shirt, black pants, and black boots. Her eye patch was still there and she was pacing by the entrance and when she saw who she was waiting for, she froze.


Sakura arrived and she wore a black shirt, a nice pink skirt, and black sandals. She was also wearing contacts and Chaeyeon thought she was beautiful.


“Good morning, Chaeyeon.” Sakura greeted. “Did I make you wait too long?”


“No. You look lovely today.” Chaeyeon spoke.


Another heartstring was tugged inside Sakura’s heart. Never in her life was she complimented on how good she looked.


“Shall we go inside?” Chaeyeon asked while lending a hand. 


Sakura held it and a jolt was felt. Chaeyeon felt the same way but she had to be composed. They got inside the library, picked their books, and got to a secluded spot where they can read.


“We love the same author, I presume.” Chaeyeon spoke after a time of silence.


“Brown’s has got a wonderful way of expressing stories. I love the mystery.” Sakura answered. 


Chaeyeon began to talk about more of Dan Brown’s works and Sakura was attracted to them while adding her own ideas. The time of reading peacefully became a talk that interested the both of them. It was like good chemistry.


Chaeyeon’s heartstrings were tugged. She never Sakura was like this. How could she have not known her sooner?


“No talking in the library.” The librarian caught their attention. 


The duo had to stop there. They also wanted to get out of the place. They returned the books and Chaeyeon takes them to another place.


“There’s this café that serves the best matcha cakes.” Chaeyeon spoke again. “You’re going to love it.”


“You read my mind~” Sakura wowed. “I love matcha!”


They stopped to see a kid being bullied. Sakura thought it was dangerous to interfere but Chaeyeon went to help. She confronted them through a good talk but one of them clenched Chaeyeon’s shirt.


“Hey! Get your hands off her!” Sakura threw the hold away. “And leave this kid alone!”


The bullies laughed and attempted to punch Sakura when Chaeyeon gave a karate chop on the neck, leaving him unconscious. The remaining three fought her as Sakura got the kid away. Chaeyeon knocked them over with graceful kicks and punches. Sakura watched her and she thought she was a graceful feather.


. My heartstrings…


Chaeyeon knocked then over and checked on the kid and Sakura.


“We’re fine, Chaeyeon.” Sakura reached to cup her face. “I should be asking you that! Is your eye hit again?”


Chaeyeon’s heart thumped at the proximity. Sakura was worried but luckily, Chaeyeon didn’t have damages. 


“You two look good together, unnies.”


That sentence made Chaeyeon and Sakura break their gaps, faces flushed. Chaeyeon returned to check on the kid and got her gratitude. The bullies were up again and Sakura spoke. “If you hurt this kid again, I’ll call the police!”


They ran off like scared children as the kid went on her way after thanking them. Chaeyeon and Sakura walked again, with Sakura constantly asking Chaeyeon about the fight.


“I used to do taekwondo. My sisters and I take classes.”


“Older or younger?”


“Younger.” Chaeyeon spoke. “How about you?”


“Same. Brother.” Sakura then asked. “Is this really the thing for us as unnies?”


“Yeah. If that was one of my sisters, those bullies would be dead.”


“Hey…that’s unusual of you.” Sakura commented. “You look like a saint.”


“Even saints make sacrifices for their loved ones.”


Sakura was frozen. It wasn’t just the wholesome words but about Chaeyeon herself.


She can’t break her innocent heart.


“Hey…are you okay?” Chaeyeon asked and they stopped.


Sakura could cry at the sidewalk. Sohyun’s plan was tolling her conscience. No one deserves to be played with. No one.


“I’m alright.” Sakura said and held her hand. “Let’s go?”


Chaeyeon was pulled by her and her face screamed about being whipped.


+++


The rest of the day went smoothly. Chaeyeon and Sakura enjoyed their time at the mall. They bought each other gifts, played in the arcade, and ate in restaurants. They even watched a movie and walked around the mall until evening.


“Thanks for today, Chaeyeon.” Sakura smiled as she held her stuffed bird and drank her matcha tea. “This day’s been wonderful.”


“I’m glad you loved it. Although…I could’ve taken you somewhere more special.”


“Even if you take me to an alley, it’s fine.” Sakura spoke. “It’s fine as long as I’m with you.”


Chaeyeon stopped in her tracks, not only because of Sakura’s words but also because of something she saw. 


She saw her dad…and he was with another woman.


“Sakura, let’s go.”


“Why?” 


Chaeyeon held her hand. Sakura felt her shaky hold and became worried about her. “O-Okay…”


Chaeyeon pulled her, being careful not to cause Sakura discomfort. Sakura wondered about what she saw when Chaeyeon spoke. “I’m so sorry. I…”


“You don’t feel well now?” Sakura asked. “What did you see?”


“I can’t tell you now.” Chaeyeon lowered her head. “Can we go home now?”


Sakura agreed right away. They took a taxi together and Chaeyeon paid up front for a joyride. Inside, Sakura was still worried about Chaeyeon. She looked so happy during their date and now, she looked dreadful.


“Hey…” Sakura held her hand. “…whatever you saw at the time, put it behind you. I’m thankful for today, Chaeyeon.”


Chaeyeon thought Sakura was right. She smiled again and held het hand back. “You’re welcome. Thank you too…for being with me today.”


They arrived at Hyewon’s place. Sakura got her stuffed bird and gift as she got out of the taxi.


“Aren’t you greeting Lady Kang and Hyewon?”


“Later.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Good night, Sakura.”


“Goodnight, Chaeyeon.” 


Chaeyeon smiled before closing the door and Sakura watched the taxi drive away. She had a smile on her lovely face as she got inside.


“Did you have fun?”


Sakura was shocked as she saw Hyewon by the counter, eating cookies.


“Grandma rested early so I had to wait for you.”


“I’m sorry we took a while, Hyewon.” Sakura spoke then spared a wave. “I’ll get going.”


“Halt.” Hyewon spoke and somehow, Sakura froze. “You went with Chaeyeon, didn’t you?”


Sakura looked back and she nodded. Hyewon rubbed her temples and didn’t finish the pack. Sakura had her hunch and wanted to ask Hyewon but if she did, she’ll be revealed.


“That’s nice. I hope you don’t hurt her, Sakura.”


“W-Why do you think I’d do that?” Sakura asked.


“Because Chaeyeon’s the best friend you could ever have. I am very blessed to be one of them.” Hyewon said, pointing a vacant chair.


Sakura puts her stuff down and sat, facing Hyewon.


“She’s been through a lot. She has a dad for a cheater and she never wanted to tell her mom and sisters to protect her family. She even befriends Sohyun, even if that hates her to the bone.” Hyewon spoke, shocking Sakura inside. “And you…” She pointed with a cookie. “…you’re just doing this for a bet.”


Sakura felt her world drop. She wanted to lie but she couldn’t deny. “H-How did you…”


“I heard Sohyun talk to the leeches. Chaeyeon beat them up because of that stunt they pulled to you. Chaeyeon makes a fight with bullies because she hates bullying.” Hyewon added. “I know Sohyun hates Chaeyeon because they’re tied in rank, she gets less attention than Chaeyeon, and she loses at whatever Chaeyeon does. Sohyun’s planning to take Chaeyeon down through a bet in which YOU are a part of.” She snickered. “And for what? To get Sohyun to like you?”


“Sohyun’s not like that. I'm not like that either.” Sakura spoke despite her shaky mouth. “And why are you telling me this?”


“To warn you.” Hyewon spoke, crumpling the pack. “You better be accountable of the consequences. If you hurt Chaeyeon, I will never forgive you.”


Hyewon went to her room, leaving Sakura to feel the guilt and shame bite her back. She was also afraid because what if Hyewon will tell Chaeyeon everything?


Forget about the bet. Forget about Sohyun. Sakura could never do that to Chaeyeon. Not anymore.


She got the stuffed bird and her gifts and went to the room. She puts them by the side and cried on her bed.


+++


Chaeyeon returned to her home and greeted her sisters and mom. She had the distressed look and her mother noticed it directly.


“Chaeyeon? Are you okay, my daughter?”


“Mom…I…” Chaeyeon sighed. “…I’ll be sleeping at Hyewon’s place tonight.”


Chaeyeon waited for her permission but her mom said no this time.


“Chaeyeon, this is unbecoming. I don’t like the fact that you mostly sleep at another home. This is your home and we are you family.” Her mother spoke. “I hope that you always understand that your father and I are worried about you. I feel that you’re gradually drifting away from us.”


“Mom…I – “


“Is there a problem, Chaeyeon?” Her mother asked while cupping her face. “Is there something I need to know?”


Chaeyeon will never tell her. Seeing her family in despair would be the last thing she wanted to see.


The doorbell rang and her father arrived. He greeted his children and wife.


“I’ll go ahead, Mom.”


“Chaeyeon – “


“We’ll talk next time, okay?” Chaeyeon spoke again before she left.


She got on her car and drove with an uneasy mind. She also called for Hyewon and drove towards their house. Chaeyeon saw her piggy best friend waiting at the door as she got her car parked and got her stuff.


“Why are you bearing your own problems?” Hyewon asked first. “You could share that to your mom, to Chaeryeong and Chaemin, even to me and the squad.”


“Don’t I get a hello? And why do you ask too much?” Chaeyeon grew pissed and went inside. “I’m turning in. Good night.”


Hyewon’s mouth continued to munch as she went inside, shutting the door behind her.


+++


It was another morning and Sakura was brushing her teeth when she saw the other door open, revealing Chaeyeon.


“Chaeyeon!” Sakura yelped then spat on the sink. “What are you doing here?”


“Relief. Home had been pretty ty.”


“Is it because of your dad?”


Chaeyeon went stiff. Sakura apologized for meddling and continued to brush her teeth.


“I suppose Kwangbae spared the details?”


“Yeah. She even knew that we hang out yesterday.”


“That pig.” Chaeyeon mumbled, causing Sakura to chuckle a bit.


That chuckle alone made her negative emotions gone. Maybe her staying at Hyewon’s place wasn’t just for letting out steam.


Maybe it was also for Sakura.


“I had my fair share of a cocky dad too. He loves my little brother more than me and my mother’s following.” Sakura spoke. “I think only my grandmother loves me.”


“Ouch. I’m sorry to hear that.” 


“It’s fine.” Sakura then asked. “Feeling better?”


Chaeyeon nodded and spared her thanks. Sakura couldn’t help her smile until Lady Kang called them for breakfast. The two decided to go out together.


Sakura may remember the bet but she was willing to forget it all for Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon may remember the sadness but she was willing to be happy again, for Sakura.