Just The Way You Are: Part 4 (KkuChaen ft. KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The journey back to the Kang’s residence was a happy one. Chaeyeon and Sakura smiled while they held hands as they walked to the doors, seeing Hyewon waiting for them. She saw their linked hands and she had a bad feeling about what’s happening. 


“What am I seeing?” She asked.


“How’s the date with Eunbi?” Chaeyeon asked back, cackling.


“Did you treat my best friend well?” Sakura joined in.


The couple had their gazes on Hyewon, leaving the latter to not bother in asking and just motioned them to come inside. They instantly went to their rooms and got ready for bed.


For the couple, they ended up meeting at the bathroom.


“Did you enjoy today, Kkura?”


“Hehe…I did, Jjaeyeon.” Sakura smiled. “What shall we do tomorrow?”


“You decide this time.” Chaeyeon suggested. 


“But what if you don’t like it?” Sakura pouted. “What if it won’t be as grand as a while ago?”


“I know it’ll be great. Being with you is already a great thing.” Chaeyeon added, pulling Sakura for a hug. 


Sakura never hesitated to hug back, her nose smelling Chaeyeon’s yogurt perfume and her skin lovingly warm onto hers. She wanted to hug Chaeyeon forever but her sleepiness wasn’t siding with her.


Even her inner guilt.


“We need to sleep. You’re tired.”


Sakura nodded and lets go. She bids Chaeyeon a good night before they went back to their rooms. As Sakura shuts the door behind her, she say by it, feeling tears drop on her face. She would’ve been crying her guilt out but these pure emotions with Chaeyeon made her stand up, grab her phone, and text someone.


I’m through with the bet.


She laid on her bed with a little courage to muster. Because for Chaeyeon, she was willing to let her immature feelings go and start over with more meaningful ones.


+++


The next day was lovely. Chaeyeon and Sakura had good sleep, good breakfast, and a good hour to go to school together. Chaeyeon was driving her car, Sakura was beside her, and Hyewon was at the back, grossing out how lovey-dovey the two were in the morning.


“Don’t give us that look, Kwangbae. We’ll pick Eunbi up.” Sakura assured her.


Hyewon still had trust issues towards Sakura since she hid a lie to her best friend. Even if there was that dark secret, she was starting to regain that trust through keeping the secret and letting her and Chaeyeon be with their relationship. To her, Chaeyeon has never been so happy until Sakura came into her life.


All of the daydreaming had to stop when Eunbi got inside the car to greet her. “Good morning, Kwangbae. Also to you, lovebirds.”


“How do you even know?” Sakura asked.


“I can sense the sweetness of your actions.” Eunbi spoke. “Let’s go~”


She didn’t leave a gap in sitting beside Hyewon, leaving the latter to look away and wait for the ride to be over. 


+++


It was literature class. Chaeyeon was listening yet her eyes wandered off to a sleeping Sakura. She thought she looked cute.


“Miss Lee. Miss Miyawaki.”


Eunbi nudged her to wake up as Chaeyeon stood up. They were asked by the teacher the same question and both answered excellently, leaving the everyone to applaud.


Almost everyone.


The bell rang for lunchtime and the class ran out towards the cafeteria. Sohyun even looked at Sakura, motioning her to join her when she was ignored. Sakura pulled Chaeyeon and they decided to eat at a convenience store. Eunbi and Hyewon came with them.


It struck a nerve to Sohyun, reminding her of the text. Once everyone was gone, she clenched her fist, breaking her pen in half. 


She was fuming. There’s no way anyone would say no to her. 


+++


Eunbi and Hyewon were busy choosing their foor. For Chaeyeon and Sakura, they chose the same meal and ate together happily. Just then, Chaeyeon’s phone rang as she answered it. “Mom?”


Sakura stayed quiet and just looked at Chaeyeon. She found it sweet hearing her whine about saying cheesy stuff about her parents – like saying that you love them and that you miss them. Once Chaeyeon hung up, Sakura pinched her cheeks. 


“That was so sweet~”


Chaeyeon whined yet Sakura pinched them harder. Chaeyeon lets go, only to get a coin from Sakura’s ear.


“Distraction.” Chaeyeon changed it into a boiled egg, impressing Sakura again.


From the cashier, Eunbi and Hyewon looked at their happy faces and adored them. They could never deny the lie Sakura but they could never deny their love and happiness even more, even if it was just their first day.


The cashier reminded them about their food and they grabbed it, almost holding hands. It sent a jolt towards their beating hearts and their flushed faces yet Hyewon was the composed one to grab their food and went towards the table. Eunbi followed and they joined the other couple.


“Why are your faces red?” Chaeyeon asked.


“Nothing,” they said together.


“Did something happen?” Sakura asked, joining Chaeyeon.
“None!” They said again.


They ended up laughing and eating lunch together. 


+++


PE class turned into a shrieking moment. Sohyun and Chaeyeon were competing for a swimming practicum. In the case of fangirls and a particular, they were shrieking not only because of the tight game but also with the two in their swimwear.


Chaeyeon won the practicum and got out of the pool shivering like a goat. But once she regained her composure came more shrieking.


Sakura gulped. Chaeyeon’s skin was flawless and her abs were seen through her swimwear. And somehow, they zoomed in towards her vision.


“Hey, love.”


Sakura almost yelped as Chaeyeon was already in front of her with a towel. Chaeyeon crouched to her level. “How was my practicum?”


“Y-You did well…” Sakura shuts her eyes as she spoke.


“I want my girl to look at me.”


Sakura opened them directly and said those words again. Chaeyeon was happy and sat next to her. Sakura was then called for the practicum and Chaeyeon cheered her on, leaving the class wondering about their relationship.


The leeches were shocked as they sat by Sohyun’s side. Sohyun was already pissed in losing the practicum and was even more pissed about their nags and that Sakura and Chaeyeon have gotten close.


“Isn’t this a great opportunity, boss? It’s going to hurt more when Sakura confesses to her.”


“Then again, don’t you dislike Sakura? Why push on this bet when you don’t want to date her?”


Sohyun pinched their ears, earnung winces of apologies. Sohyun lets go and faced them. “If I don’t get Sakura in control then she’ll stand up against me!”


The three spoke in a private sector. The leeches lowered their heads as Sohyun had gotten to her limit.


“Chaeyeon and Sakura’s friends outnumber us in a ratio of 1:8. And if we don’t take it into control, there goes our power.” Sohyun snapped. “It’s not about the bet. It’s about keeping Sakura in line because no one can resist me! No one!” She clutched their collars. “Now go and make use of yourselves!”


The leeches returned to the pool, leaving a frustrated Sohyun to almost bump a classmate. Unbeknownst to her, it was Hyewon.


She has heard the whole thing and made sure to keep the secret and protect her friends, no matter what happens.


+++


“How do my glasses look?” Nako asked.


Her squad gave a thumbs-up as Nako went to pay for them. Chaeyeon was looking at one side, seeing Sakura with her friends. Of course, being the whipped girlfriend made her look at Sakura and Sakura only.


It was then that Yujin pulled Hyewon somewhere and they talked about the couple and the bet. “We can’t let this happen, Kwangbae. That Sakura will hurt her!”


“She won’t. We just need to make sure that Sohyun is out of her bounds and of ours.” Hyewon spoke. “Do this for Chaeyeon.”


“But – “


“She’s never been that happy. She may have us but she also needs Sakura in her life. Chaeyeon’s very happy because of Sakura. Don’t you want that for her?”


Yujin was still worried but she always wanted what’s best for Chaeyeon. What worried her most is that if the truth will reveal itself, will Sakura be accountable?


“What are you guys doing here?” Chaewon asked, crossing her arms. “I had to get out of the love brigade. It seems our Chaeyeon has a girlfriend.”


Hyewon and Yujin pretend to not know as they followed Chaewon back to the eye center. Chaeyeon was sharing it to Nako and Yena and they were happy for their best friend.


“Wholesome.” Chaewon added. “She hasn’t been that happy.”


It was then Yujin understood Hyewon’s plight. With that in mind, she promised to join Hyewon in keeping the secret and protecting their best friend.


+++


Sakura shared the same thing to her friends and all of them were supportive, even Minju wowed on how compatible they were.


“First placer and second placer. A match made in Heaven,” said Hitomi.


“Isn’t that them?” Yuri pointed at the eye center.


The two squads spared a wave towards each other. Chaeyeon and Sakura had more time to greet, even Chaeyeon motioned her to call later. Sakura nodded and everyone just cooed.


“Which is why…I want to surprise her.” Sakura spoke. “It’s her birthday tomorrow.”


“Fret not, Kkura. We will help out,” said Wonyoung. “I’ll call Yujin so that we can agree on it.”


“Omo. Since when do you have her number?” Minju spoke.


“Omo, says the one who has Chaewon’s number.” Wonyoung spoke back. “Yuri has Yena’s, Hitomi has Nako’s – “


“ – and Eunbi has Hyewon’s.” Sakura joined and they had mixed reactions.


The reactions subsided into moral support. It was then that Eunbi and Wonyoung had to excuse themselves to the comfort room and bring Sakura along. Once they got inside, Wonyoung locked the door and Eunbi began asking. “Are you even sure about this, Kkura?”


Sakura’s carefree nature dimmed. She was even shocked that Wonyoung knew about the bet.


“Yujin was a babble-mouth to me. She told me everything.” Wonyoung started. “I didn’t react because I know that Sohyun’s a manipulative . She used you to get what she wants: revenge.”


Sakura nodded. She would’ve cried but guilt was something to be accounted for. She made sure to be responsible and do everything to love Chaeyeon and to make her happy.


“I was gullible at the time, falling for someone who I know, will never ever love me back. But it’s different with Chaeyeon.”  Sakura began. “I’ve never felt like this before. That feeling that you want to care for someone, that you would all you can to make them happy and to protect them from everything. I’m feeling it with Chaeyeon.”


Wonyoung hugged her friend and gave her support. Eunbi joined in, saying. “But what if, Kkura?”


“I’ll stand up to her…and I’ll be responsible for Chaeyeon’s well-being.”


Eunbi loved the answer and they returned to their table to discuss the surprise.


+++


Chaeyeon drove quickly from her errand to the Kang’s residence. Yena called about an emergency regarding Sakura in an accident. Being the worried girlfriend, she had to get there as soon as possible. 


She arrived at the house with Hyewon waiting for her. Chaeyeon rushed inside when Hyewon pulled her, saying that she was in the backyard. Chaeyeon followed her, only to be greeted by a – 


“Surprise! Happy Birthday!”


Chaeyeon saw the whole squad and Lady Kang, with Sakura in the middle holding her birthday cake. They sang together and got closer to Chaeyeon.


“Make a wish, love.” Sakura grinned as she showed the cake.


Chaeyeon wanted to cry her gratitude but she went with the flow, closing her eyes and blowing her candles. Everyone cheered and Chaeyeon thanked them.


“One more surprise.” Sakura said. “Can you close your eyes again, please?”


Chaeyeon was obedient and closed her eyes. Yujin and Hyewon turn her around slowly and told Chaeyeon to open her eyes. As Chaeyeon did, she saw the most important people in her life.


Her mom and her sisters, Chaeryeong and Chaemin.


Chaemin ran to hug her unnie and Chaeyeon carried her. Chaeryeong caught up with a whine and they hugged each other. Lastly, Chaeyeon sniffled as she hugged her mother, earning awws from her friends and Lady Kang.


“Chaeyeon-ah~” Her mother was also teary as she held her daughter’s cheeks. “Happy birthday.”


Chaeyeon became a whiny baby as she hugged the three of them. Nonetheless, Yena and Yuri had to be the clowns and initiated the party.


+++


The party was a wonderful one for Chaeyeon – the best on at that. She had Lady Kang, her family, her friends…
…and her Sakura.


She watched her talk to her mother. She didn’t bother in join in since she saw her mother smiling and hugging her. Chaeyeon got to her for a last hug.


“I’m sorry if I can’t come back to the house, Mom.”


“It’s okay. Take the time that you need, okay?” She spoke, rubbing her cheeks. “I’m sorry if your Dad can’t come.”


Chaeyeon just nodded. They share another hug with Chaeryeong and Chaemin before they returned home. Chaeyeon then got to Sakura with a back hug, leaving Sakura to smile.


Just then, Nako and Hitomi played slow music at the DJ pad. The friends got in pairs as they look at the real couple. Chaeyeon got the idea and asked. “May I have this dance, Miyawaki Sakura?”


Sakura nodded despite being a er for dance. Chaeyeon pulled her and they were at the center. She guided Sakura’s hands as she placed her own on Sakura’s waist and left hand. Chaeyeon guided them on the dance floor and they glided gracefully.


“You’re good at dance too?”


“I trained with Chaeryeong.”


Sakura had glimpses at the rest. Yena and Yuri were playfully swaying together, Minju and Chaewon were competing with them for best in dance, Nako and Hitomi skipped slowly like doing a doxology, Yujin and Wonyoung got awkward, and Eunbi and Hyewon were just chilling. 


“Hey. Look at me.” Chaeyeon held her face. “Don’t mind them. They’re looking because I’m dancing with the most beautiful girl tonight.”


“No, we don’t!” Yena spoke as she glided Yuri gracefully. “We’re looking because you look cute together!”


Everyone shut her up, causing Sakura to chuckle and look at Chaeyeon, especially at that smile that always warmed up her heart. A week may be short but all of those were true. Sakura’s feelings for Chaeyeon were true.


Sakura pulled herself closer, hugging her as they swayed. Chaeyeon hugged back and had her hear resting on Sakura’s.


“Jjaeyeon?” Sakura spoke, head nuzzled on her shoulder. “I have something to tell you.”


“What is it?”


“I love you.” Sakura hugged her tighter. “Whatever happens, just know that I love you and only you.”


Chaeyeon hugged back, whispering. “I love you too…and I hope and pray that this will last forever.”


Sakura nodded through the hug and swore to that. “Yeah…forever.”


+++


Class would’ve been too tough to handle but in the case of twelve friends, they were willing to get through it until the lunch break. And once it did, they rushed to get the best seat in the cafeteria.


It was a first for Chaeyeon and Sakura to eat in the cafeteria. With Yena and Yuri’s nags, they had to comply. It was a wonderful hour. They were in a large table with friends, talking about anything – from school to love. Chaeyeon and Sakura held hands and were laughing at each other, causing their friends to coo and the other witness go react.


Some were happy and some had their little hopes of the fantasies down in the drain. And for the case of a trio, it was a wonderful time to strike. One of them went to their table yet one of the squad had a keen eye that she stood up and faced her. 


“What’s your business here, Sohyun?”


“Come on, Hyewon. I just wanted to visit.” Sohyun shrugged. “Besides, I have something to discuss.”


“All of the seats are occupied.” Yujin added. “You can state your business somewhere else.”


Sohyun just smiled and made her way to Hyewon’s spot. She then looked at Chaeyeon and Sakura.


“You two look adorable. I could just become your advisor and betroth you both.”


It was at that moment that Hyewon told her to leave again. Yujin, Wonyoung, and Eunbu had the look and joined Hyewon. Sakura chuckled, saying. “No thanks.”


“Oh.” Sohyun spoke. “I guess that indicates the end of the story…” She smirked. “…isn’t that right, love?”


Sakura was stoned like the rest of the oblivious squad and the witnesses. Hyewon snapped at Sohyun to leave again, even Yujin wanted to kick her off of the spot.


But they were motionless and they didn’t want to start a ruckus. Sohyun had the demeanor that scared the majority. 


“Love.” She held Sakura’s hand. “You’re giving me a heartbreak. I thought you love me that you would do anything for me…” She held it as if she was clenching a fist. “…like doing this bet.”


Chaeyeon had her turn to feel fishy and worried. Hyewon and Yujin were quick to console her. 


“I’m disappointed in you, Sakura. For many months you loved me. You promised to do anything for me and yet, I never expected you to fail.” Sohyun then gave a fist bump to Chaeyeon. “And Chaeyeon. I would totally love to give your scissors in the beginning in case you want to cut yourself through the web of lies but you’ve been trapped in there for a while.” She pinched her cheeks lightly and pointed at Sakura. “I hope this spider hasn’t you out to death yet.”


Sakura went to choke her but Sohyun was stronger, pushing her off. Eunbi and Wonyoung helped her out as the rest were still shocked.


For Chaeyeon, she was feeling that her bright person getting dimmer and returning towards the dark. “Yah, Kang Sohyun…what are you talking about?”


“I pay my respects for your recovery in a truth that I need to tell you.” Sohyun spoke. “I made a bet with Sakura here that if you fall for her, she’ll break your heart. She failed yet succeeded thanks to my interference. Do you want to know why she did it?” Sohyun cackled. “She wanted to date me!”


“You liar!” Sakura snapped again and clutched on her collar for real.


Just then, Chaeyeon got Sakura’s hands off and forced her to look her in the eye. Sakura feared for the worst and her actions of wanting to stand up for their relationship were betraying her will.


“Is it true?” Chaeyeon asked then she spat. “Miyawaki Sakura, is this true?!”


“Chaeyeon!” Eunbi snapped at her. “Kkura already called off that bet.”


Hyewon and Yujin rubbed their temples yet Chaeyeon wasn’t fazed with that answer. Eunbi had no option but to speak up, fearing that it’ll cause a real fight. It also caused Sohyun to laugh even more.


“You think a mere text will stop me? Do you know who you’re actually dealing with?” Sohyun raised an eyebrow. “With this over, you can get rid of her and you can come with me.”


“Sakura, I’m not done talking to you.” Chaeyeon spoke again. “Is it true?”


Sakura’s heart was filled with hatred. She hated Sohyun. She hated that Eunbi spat the truth. And she hated Chaeyeon’s look towards her.


But most of all, she hated herself for being a fool and for hurting the person she ever loved.


“Come on, Sakura. Just tell the truth.” Sohyun elaborated. “Just tell her that you agreed to make a bet with me just so I can fight back at Chaeyeon, the person I loathe the most.”


“Shut up!” Sakura slapped her face. “Just shut the up!”


The witnesses reacted, even Sohyun smirked at her actions. 


“Eyes on me, Sakura.” Chaeyeon spat. 


Sakura’s tears dropped. But for what it’s worth, she couldn’t hurt Chaeyeon even further. She obeyed, lip quivering and her eyes directly looking at Chaeyeon’s.


“Now tell me...is it true?”


It was so hard. Her love was restricting her. If she speaks, it was going to be a wild card whether Chaeyeon stays or not.


A nod and a but became her answer as Chaeyeon ran away from the cafeteria. Sohyun saw Sakura as a coward. There was no way she was going to chase her. But as she did, two squads grew mad at each other, even Hyewon blamed Eunbi for spilling it out. For Sohyun, her ego was tarnished again, leaving her to slam her fist and leave.


For Sakura, she chased Chaeyeon up until the field despite being a er for running. She couldn’t bear to hurt her again but she couldn’t bear to see her leave her life.


“Jjaeyeon. Jjaeyeon, please…” Sakura caught up and held her arm. “Please listen to me – “


“Stop it, Sakura.” Chaeyeon got her hands off. “Stop explaining.”


“Jjaeyeon, the bet is off. I don’t care about the anymore.” Sakura spoke as she wept. “Please…you have to believe me…”


Chaeyeon scoffed, a hand on her face. Sakura pleaded beyond her own crying mess but she was turned a blind eye.


A blind crying pair of eyes. 


“I can’t believe this. I never thought you were that stupid to follow her. I never even thought you were so whipped for her!” Chaeyeon threw a fit. “She’s a cowardly for using you.”


“I know but  - “


“But you…” Chaeyeon got her hands off again. “…you were just too innocent as I was…” She wiped her own tears away. “…and I’m sorry that you fell for her trap because I know that you just wanted to be loved.”


Sakura continued to weep with those words. Chaeyeon then got something on her pocket and gave it to her. Sakura opened the box and saw a ring.


“I’m wearing one just like it…” Chaeyeon showed an identical ring and removed it from her finger then placing it with the other. “…but I think this will be my last gift for you. You can exchange it at a pawnshop or give it to someone who can really love you.”


“But I love you, Chaeyeon! I mean it!” Sakura got in front of her before she could leave. “I’m sorry for this but please don’t do this…” She hugged her close. “…I love you, okay? Whatever happens, remember?”


Chaeyeon’s tears finally dropped but she lets Sakura off of her again. This time, she was gripping in a way to warn her but to never hurt her.


“Sakura, this bet you and Sohyun did is nothing to me. I’ve been to worst and you know it.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Nonetheless, thanks for the times that we had. I’ll never forget them.”


Sakura kept apologizing for the bet and kept begging not to leave. Chaeyeon didn’t want to buy those excuses and gripped onto Sakura’s hold, stopping her from laying a hand on her self.


Chaeyeon was a strong woman and Sakura had no right to worry about her. Now, she can forget but she can never forgive.


“Sakura, you don’t know how much I loved you.” Chaeyeon started. “I was serious in wanting to be friends with you, was serious in liking you, and this. But now…” She shrugged while crying. “…it’s gone. And another thing, people would say that the thing that matters in this world are to be nice and work hard. Thanks for letting me know that those aren’t true.”


Chaeyeon finally got her freedom to run away from school. Sakura clutched onto the box as she wept.


Chaeyeon left and she carried her heart with her.


+++


Things have gone downhill for most of them. The bet has impacted Chaeyeon and Sakura but also all of their friends. It had changed their perspectives and their relationships for the worst.


Chaeyeon became heartless. She stopped smiling, she ignored people asking her for help, and she didn’t hang out with Hyewon and the rest. She left the Kang residence and made sure not to return ever again after finding out that Hyewon also knew the bet and ended up sleeping in her car or in her room whenever she felt like it. She also avoided Sakura’s friends and Sakura herself, together with her attempts in bringing her back. 


Sakura became assertive. She looked up, faced Sohyun and her leeches, and she made sure to always use her vacant time to try and talk to Chaeyeon. She also left the Kang residence and returned to her home since her grandmother returned from vacation. She also avoided her friends and Chaeyeon’s, venting her frustrations at the same ridge were Chaeyeon took her so that she doesn’t build it in herself.
Despite her deteriorating will, Sakura was eager to make amends. She will do everything for the woman she loved. And for their friends, they would do anything to bring them back to their true happiness. 


Hyewon, Yena, Chaewon, Nako, and Yujin came to the Lee residence. Hyewon pressed the doorbell and waited, only to be greeted by Chaeyeon herself. 


She looked like . Her hair was disheveled, her eyes and face were red from all the crying, and her fists were bruised.


“Get out.”


“Chae…we just want to talk.” Yujin started. “Please hear us out, buddy – “


“I could consider you four but knowing that there’s you…” Chaeyeon snapped, pointing at Hyewon. “…I just want you all out of my sight!”


“We will…but you have to talk to us first.” Hyewon spoke. “You don’t have to include them. It’s my fault, okay?”


“Then you can get out.” Chaeyeon snapped.


The four lowered their heads and walked away, leaving Hyewon by the gate. Chaeyeon would’ve shut the gate when she heard a sniffle…


…and sniffle coming from Hyewon.


That sniffle turned many as droplets stained her feet. Chaeyeon had a best friend who never gives a damn about anything and is never a crybaby. But now, she was one and she never hesitated to embarrass herself in front of her best friend.


“I’m sorry if I hurt you by keeping it a secret. Knowing you were so happy with Sakura, I cannot interfere.” Hyewon even knelt in front of her. “I really tried to threaten her and to make sure that she’ll be accountable. I can never tell her to go away because I know, she makes you happy. And as your best friend, I want to see you happy. I want to see you happy because I love you.” She looked up and was still crying. “I love you, buddy.”


“We love you, buddy.” The other four lined with Hyewon and knelt with her.


They lowered their heads on the dirt as they were crying, even Yujin wept her apologies. Chaeyeon cried again and crouched at their level, holding Hyewon’s hand, only to get a hug from her.


“Please don’t cast us out. We’re always worried about you.” Hyewon spoke, still crying. “Whatever happens to you, just call us and we’ll be here.”


“We’ll cry with you if we have to.” Yena added, wiping her snot.


Chaeyeon may have gone heartless but she could never abandon the people that truly cared about her. She ended up hugging a crying Hyewon and all her crying friends. Once everyone calmed down, they let go and shared the smiles they used to have.


“Hey. That smile could go wider if you let a cherry blossom in your heart again.” Hyewon suggested.


“Nah. I want to move on.”


“Move on, my . You’ve been avoiding her for a month and by the look on your face, you won’t last another day.” Nako added. “You’re crying because you’re hurt but you’re sobbing because you desperately want Sakura back yet your stupid says no!”


And Chaeyeon couldn’t lie about that. She was mostly crying because her mind was torn. She was hurt being betrayed but it was more hurt when the one you love is gone. 


And just like that, Chaeyeon had an epiphany and ran towards Sakura’s home with bare feet. The friends cheered as they chased her off.


+++


Eunbi, Yuri, Minju, Hitomi, and Wonyoung came to the Miyawaki residence. Eunbi pressed the doorbell and waited, only to be greeted by Sakura’s grandmother.


She had called them to come since Sakura had gone depressed. All of the were willing to come, especially Eunbi. Nonetheless, they knocked on Sakura’s room which she never answered. She tried the doorknob but it was locked. Wonyoung had her turn to try and pick the lock when the door opened and Sakura came to view.


She looked like . Her hair was disheveled, her eyes and face were red from all the crying, and her fists were bruised.


“What are you doing here?”


“Kkura…we just want to talk.” Wonyoung started. “Please hear us out, buddy – “


“I could consider you four but knowing that there’s you…” Sakura snapped, pointing at Eunbi. “…I just want you all out of my sight!”


“We will…but you have to talk to us first.” Eunbi spoke. “You don’t have to include them. It’s my fault, okay?”


“Then you can get out.” Sakura snapped.


The four lowered their heads and walked away, leaving Eunbi by the door. Sakura would’ve shut the door when she heard singing…


…singing coming from Eunbi.


That singing was their friendship song. Sakura loved it because it always encouraged her about anything. Eunbi was never a best friend to show the soft side of love but now, she was here singing and she never hesitated to embarrass herself in front of her best friend.


“Are you sure you want to give up?” Eunbi asked.


“I’ve tried every day and it’s never okay. Maybe the gods were right about me. I don’t deserve to be loved.”


“I’m sorry if I keep insisting. And I’m sorry for not eeping it a secret. Knowing you were in a tight situation, I had to interfere.” Hyewon even knelt in front of her. “I really tried to silence myself because you made sure that you’ll be accountable. Yet, I can never tell her to go away because I know, she makes you happy. And as your best friend, I want to see you happy. I want to see you happy because I love you.” Eunbi started crying. “I love you, buddy.”


“We love you, buddy.” The other four returned.


They lowered their heads on then as they were crying, even Wonyoing wept her apologies. Sakura cried again and was holding Hyewon’s hand, only to get a hug from her.


“Please don’t cast us out. We’re always worried about you.” Eunbi spoke, still crying. “Whatever happens to you, just call us and we’ll be here.”


“We’ll cry with you if we have to.” Yuri added, wiping her snot.


Sakura may have gone hopeless but she could never abandon the people that truly trusted her. She ended up hugging a crying Eunbi and all her crying friends. Once everyone calmed down, they let go and shared the smiles they used to have.


“Hey. That smile could go wider if you pursue a graceful feather in your heart again.” Eunbi suggested.


“Nah. She would want to move on.”


“Move on, my . You’ve been wanting to reconcile with her for a month and by the look on your face, you won’t last another day without her.” Hitomi added. “You’re crying because you’re hurt her but you’re sobbing because you desperately want her back yet your stupid is afraid to try again!”


And Sakura couldn’t lie about that. She was mostly crying because her mind was shutting down. She was hurt being used but it was more hurt when the one you love is gone.

 
And just like that, Sakura had an epiphany and ran towards Chaeyeon’s home with bare feet. The friends cheered as they chased her off.


+++


Chaeyeon and Sakura would be running on the hot road by now and their feet would be burning. They didn’t care about the pain and just wanted to see each other again.


They met at the Han River and saw each other by the shallow area. The walked in the river bank as the water cooled their burning feet. Their friends caught up but they moved away for privacy. Chaeyeon and Sakura were facing each other, seeing the aftermaths of their despairs.


“Jjaeyeon. I’m really sorry.” Sakura began, bowing and holding her hand.


“I thought you’d give up by now.” Chaeyeon spoke.


“I could never give up the woman I love.” Sakura looked at her in the eye. 


“I don’t know, Kkura.” Chaeyeon sighed. “I swore myself to change. The love I had before has degraded to nothing. That…is my marriage.”


“Then get a divorce. Please…” Sakura placed Chaeyeon’s hand on her chest. “…feel again, Jjaeyeon…with me.”


Sakura had that sad look but she gambling her little ounce of hope left, just as much as Chaeyeon was gambling her little ounce of trust.


“No more bets?” Chaeyeon asked as Sakura nodded and begged. “No more of you being a pawn to that ?”


Sakura nodded again and knelt on the river as she rubs her hands together, begging her for another chance. Chaeyeon got to her level and held her hands, placing them on her own face and nodding.


And then, Sakura cried her thanks and apologies again as Chaeyeon hugged and kissed her forehead, whispering. “I love you.”


“Huhuhu….I love you too~” Sakura cried.


They stayed that way and they were went from the river and sweat. Regardless of their situation, loved had paved the way.


It was just the way it it….and it was just the way they are.