My Royal Responsibility: Part 2 (MinKkura)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Being a daughter of the country’s ambassadors had its fair share of connections, fame, fortune, and influence. Despite being less than 20 years old, Kim Minju knew that she’ll be bearing that responsibility when she reaches the coming of her age.


For now, she was in a meeting with the whole Korean Empire. Not only she was the ambassadors’ daughter but also the daughter of one of the imperial majesties. She was seated with the other royalties from the different dynastic rulers.


The Korean Empire was composed of eight dynastic families. Goryeo was ruled by Emperor Kim and had two crown princesses: Minju and Chaewon. Buyeo was ruled by Emperor Lee and had one crown princess: Chaeyeon. Baekje was ruled by Emperor Kang and had one crown princess: Hyewon. Tamna was ruled by Emperor Jo and had a princess: Yuri. Joseon was ruled by Emperor Ahn with a crown prince despite being female: Yujin. Silla was ruled by Emperor Jang and had a princess: Wonyoung. And for the two smallest – Balhae and Gaya – they were ruled by the youngest imperial majesties: Empress Kwon Eunbi and Emperor Choi Yena.


“The Imperial Kingdom of Japan will come to the Royal Ball next week, Your Majesties,” said an official from Silla as he showed a presentation of the plans.


“The traditional clothes won’t be necessary.” Yena spoke. “This is the 21st Century. Let’s settle with a modern approach.”


Everyone thought the idea was great. However…


“What do you think, Your Highnesses?” The official asked Wonyoung, Chaewon, Minju, and Hyewon.


Within the dynastic families, Silla, Baekje and Goryeo had the final say for the Royal Ball. They understood the plight of doing an even upon the pandemic but all emperors and empresses funded the safety measures. It was a matter of discussions –almost leading to debates – until Wonyoung raised a hand, calming the royalties down.


“I go with the Emperor of Gaya’s idea.”


“Emperor Yena may be a female imperial majesty but she never fails to make decisions.” Hyewon addressed. “I agree with her.”


Chaewon pointed at Minju to make the decision for Goryeo, shocking the latter. Everyone waited for her verdict, even Yena did aegyo for her despite being an emperor. Nonetheless, Minju agreed. 


The meeting was over in a cinch. The imperial majesties would’ve talked more about their allegiance in another room but Yena remained with the imperial highnesses.


“Yena, aren’t you supposed to go with them?” Eunbi asked.


“Psh. I’m Gaya’s emperor. I do whatever I want.” Yena added. “My brother will attend on my behalf despite being the crown prince.”


The rest whistled over Yena’s prowess. She even added. “Tamra and Gaya will form a new kingdom soon.”


Yuri blushed hard as Yena winked at her, causing everyone to react. Eunbi shushed them as Yena continued to discuss.


“The Imperial Kingdom of Japan is very reserved when they’re here yet very stern when they’re there.” She pointed at Japan on a map. “I have actually met the imperial family, especially the crown princess.”


“Is she pretty? Does she have a brother? If so, is he hot?” Wonyoung asked.


“Pft. She’s beautiful. Yes, she has a brother but the prince is still a toddler; a baby like you!” Yena chanted. “I bet they’ll invite the whole country.”


“Aren’t 48 prefectures a lot?” Chaewon asked. 


“Not when you’re Emperor Miyawaki.” Yena said again. “He’s the chill type during casual stuff but when it comes to stuff such  as this, he’s scary. With the Royal Ball, he’d have all his officials come.”


“What should we expecting about the Imperial Kingdom, Yena?” Minju asked.


“Just be serious and courteous when you meet the imperial majesties. The crown princess is very chill so you can talk to her casually.”


Everyone took note. Royal balls were normal for the Korean Empire but for Minju, this was her first time attending. Busy schedules of training to become the country’s future ambassador consumed most of her time to the point she couldn’t have fun like the others.


Nonetheless, she was going to consider this as an experience.


+++


Minju gulped of this Royal Ball. Despite being few and being royalty herself, the presence of royalties was too tense to bear. She was sipping her juice, looking around the sleek décor of the large reception hall’s interior – a building beside Gwanghamun Palace – and looked at the different royalties talking to each other.


Japan and South Korea had its dispute over the years but when their regime came, it had to be cut off and ends had to be met. Emperors Miyawaki, Jang, and Choi were having a serious talk, making Minju wonder about her friend. Yena was a goofball but was a very serious ruler; making fun of the imperial highnesses with her comedic acts yet making the greatest progress with her diplomatic actions for Gaya and for the Korean Empire. It wouldn’t be argued that Tamra will be part of Gaya through a betrothal. Yuri would jump in ranks and be with the love of her life.


Speaking of love, Minju sighed as she watched Yena and Yuri have a slow dance after Yena’s serious discussion. She couldn’t help but describe that they were a match made in Heaven. Her sentiments with love weren’t nice despite having a lot of suitors. She was picky and the suitors had no impression on her. With time, she wondered if she’ll ever find someone.
And on this ball, fate would slap her cheek to wake up as her eyes landed on one of the crown princesses.


She was the embodiment of the cherry blossom. She wore a simple white cocktail dress and lacy sandals that hugged her porcelain legs. She was talking to Yena, sharing hugs and hi-fives. Minju thought she was aesthetic. Her eyes were glued to her and somehow, the same pair of eyes from the crown princess stare back at her.


Minju almost spits her juice but she had to be composed, just as a royal would behave.


“Minju-chan~” 


“Nako-chan.” Minju returned to reality and greeted the small crown princess. “What are you doing here?”


“Attending this Royal Ball for the Japanese imperial family. I belong to the Yabuki House; the right-hand of the imperial family. As crown princess, I had to attend.”


“It’s been a long time since I saw you!” Minju hugged her tight. “We only got to meet and know each other in our language classes! You’ve finally mastered Korean!”


“Thanks. How’s your Japanese?”


“Still sloppy.” Minju scratched her head lightly. 


“Yikes.” Nako chuckled. “You should master it again.” She smirked. “Because you need that to get Crown Princess Sakura’s attention. She happens to be my cousin, by the way.”


Minju’s eyes went wide as Nako laughed. The small princess suddenly pulled her towards Sakura and Yena. Minju would lightly slap Nako’s hand away but alas, the four were face to face with each other.


“Lesson number one for you, Kkura.” Yena shared the same cockiness and pushed her towards Minju.


The beautiful cherry blossom became meek in front of Minju. Minju was already an embodiment of meekness that they ended up staring at each other awkwardly. Yena and Nako made a run for it, leaving the two princesses.


Hello. I’m S-Sakura. Sakura spoke with her sloppy Korean.


Kim Minju. Nice to meet you, Your Highness. Minju spoke in Japanese, voice so soft that she had to draw closer so Sakura could hear.


In the end, they shook hands and smiled at each other for their awkwardness, minds having their own ideas of this awkward meeting.


Minju thought she might be the one to address her sentiments in love. Sakura thought she might be the one to finally calm her parents down. Despite their different ideas, they met towards the middle.


That middle was that they should get to know each other more.