Affianced Rivals: Part 1 (JangChae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

If this was the Wild West, it would be best for the rivals to aim their revolvers against each other and wait for either of them to shoot. But in the case of PD University, the known rivals of the institution’s third sector had fencing swords pointed at each other.


“Draw.”


The fencer from the blue corner took off her mask, showing short hair with bangs and a face with a scrunched-up nose. The fencer from the red corner also took off her mask, showing long purple hair and a face that could slap the babies to shame. They looked across the field and saw fans cheering for them despite a draw. Nonetheless, the fencers got closer and shook hands.


Kim Chaewon and Jang Wonyoung; rivals of PD University’s third sector in academics and in fencing. The reason of their rivalry was because of alternating standing; they pitted for 1st Place in their sector and 1st Place in fencing. It was like juggling random balls as the audience wonder which ball was up the air first.


“Nice game, Jang.” Chaewon spoke.


“I didn’t plan for that, Kim.” Wonyoung scoffed and left.


Chaewon rolled her eyes and went to her own bench. She s her fencing uniform by the clavicle and froze as a bottle of Gatorade was in front of her.


“You did good out there, Ssamu.”


“Hey, Min.” Chaewon greeted and accepted the drink. “Thanks for this.”


Kim Minju just smiled and sat next to her. Chaewon was chugging the drink as Minju got her spare towel and wiped Chaewon’s sweat off. Chaewon spoke her thanks again before drinking again.


Alas, she almost spits it. She happened to see Wonyoung walking away. Their eyes met for a moment before Wonyoung harrumphed and continued walking.


“Oh, just look at you two. You guys are like sugarcane and bamboo planted across a field in Minecraft.” Minju spoke what was on Chaewon’s mind. “Your parents will be thrilled, especially when you – “


“Don’t spill any further, Min.” Chaewon spoke. “You know it had to be that way.”


Minju nodded, slapping Chaewon’s hand off. “Alright. Yikes, your hand smells like metal.”


Chaewon laughed it off and excused herself for a shower. Minju just nodded and waited for her while watching over her things.


+++


Chaewon felt fresh after a competition. She got to her locker to put her books inside and grabbed an old Twinkie pack. She was about to eat it when someone slammed her locker shut.


“Didn’t your mother ever tell you not to eat old food?”


“Aish…” Chaewon hissed as she opened the pack. “What do you want, Wonyoung?”


“I’m here to tell you that we’ll have practice this weekend.” Wonyoung spoke. “So you better not have excuses for missing it like you always do.”


Chaewon’s hands became sloppy and the Twinkie fell on the floor. She cussed and threw it away instead. “Great. You made me lose my snack, Jang.”


“Ha! You’ll lose more than that when Coach gets through with you because of your absences. She’s as mad as a rhino with rhinitis!” Wonyoung added while crossing her arms.


“Oh~ I quiver with fear~” Chaewon mocked.


“Yah, Kim Chaewon!” Wonyoung spat. “You better take those words back!”


Chaewon slammed her hands on the locker and would’ve kicked Wonyoung’s when a pair of stupid dogs came to Chaewon’s view.


“You better not mess with the Queen, Chaewon!”


“Impeccable timing, Jo Yuri.” Chaewon hissed as she walked back. “And why, if it isn’t Ahn Yujin descending through my eye, mingling with the commoners.”


“We came to protect Wonyoung from you, Kim.” Yujin spoke as she pulled Wonyoung close to her. 


“Oh~ I’m simply awful~” Chaewon mocked again before slamming the lockers. “Oops. Must have slipped from my conscience.”


“Slippery as it is, it’s uncanny for an excelling student like you. Talk about being next in line to Wonyoung.” Yuri spoke.


“Pft. I wasn’t next in line, Jo. I was the first in line…” Chaewon crossed her arms. “…until the other twin tower came along and pushed me off to 2nd Place.”


“This twin tower has all five senses, you idiot.” Wonyoung faced her with the same audacity.


“Well, I should practice my awareness.” Chaewon spoke and turned back to go home. 


“Don’t turn your back on me, Kim!” Wonyoung spat.


“Oh no, Jang Wonyoung.” Chaewon looked back. “Perhaps you should turn your back on me.”


Wonyoung ran to her and grabbed Chaewon’s shirt, almost using her other fist to punch her face. The witnesses of the third sector wooed and encouraged them to fight despite being role models of their sector.


“You know better than to kick my , Jang.”
Wonyoung hissed and lets go. “Was that a challenge?”


“Temper, temper. I wouldn’t dream of challenging you.” Chaewon added.


“Pity. Why not?” Yujin asked.


“Well, as far as other matters go, the two of us have a fair share.” Chaewon spoke before walking away. “And as far as all of this is concerned, we don’t have any shallow ends of the gene pool.”


Wonyoung watched as Chaewon waved back, showing a silver ring. Wonyoung sighed and returned to her locker to fix her things.


“There’s always a possibility of one bad apple in a bunch, Won. Two in some cases, actually…” Yujin spoke. “…and they always manage to ruin the rest if not isolated properly.”


“What am I going to do with her?” Wonyoung asked.


“She’d make a better carcass for your dissection project, Won.” Yujin spoke. “Just think. You could have the highest grade in Science if you dissected the human anatomy.”


“AhnYu!” Wonyoung reacted as she got to them for another day of having fun together.


+++


Chaewon was sitting outside her home. She also had an large umbrella by her side because she watched the rain suddenly pour like it was D-Day. Chaewon had a reason to stay outside instead of staying inside all warm and cozy.


Who knew it was one text away?


A vehicle parked by the gate. Chaewon got the umbrella and steadily went by the gate to open it and to a beautiful lady inside the house. Chaewon shuts the door behind before leaving the umbrella outside to dry.


“Stay there, love. I’ll get a towel.” Chaewon spoke.


Chaewon went to the bathroom and picked the biggest one. She steadily ran back to dry her love off – from her hair to her feet. Once Chaewon was done, she felt a sudden jolt as lips were pressed on hers.


“Wait…” Chaewon stopped her from kissing anyone even further. “…Don’t need to rush, Won.”


“Come on. Let me kiss you after saying those mean things to you.”


“Jang Wonyoung. Just stay still and let my dry you off first.” Chaewon demanded.


Wonyoung sighed and Chaewon kept wiping her dry. Once the hair became the last to get dry, Wonyoung was quick to kiss Chaewon’s cheek.


“That’s Kim Wonyoung for you. Thanks to both our parents and of our good fate in betrothal, we ended up together.


“Soon.” Chaewon spoke. “Alright. Time to eat.”


Chaewon led Wonyoung to the dining room but before that, Wonyoung was on her tail to give her hugs and kisses. The silver ring Chaewon had duplicated itself on Wonyoung’s ring finger as she held her hands from the back. Nonetheless, they got to the dining room and ate dinner.


Marriage was too young for high scholars but it was a different case for the Jangs and the Kims. They’ve built strong connections towards each other since the beginning of their ancestry. For the case of today’s generation, betrothal was the way to maintain that tradition. And what better way for the Jangs and Kims to let their affianced daughters be together in one house?


For whatever it’s worth, rivalry was the façade for the affianced rivals.