Confessions of Workaholics: Part 1 (KkuChaen ft. OT10)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The office of an architectural firm became busy as their only four employees juggled all the work. Their CEO and head architect took most of the tasks as she was the only member who was the most willing to do the task and the only member who does the job excellently in her caliber.


“Boss Kkura, is the design okay?”


She eyed the design of the house with keen eyes and the subordinate gulped and waited for her response, all the while she fixed her glasses.


“Make modification here, here, and here, AhnYu.” Sakura used her stylus and pointed the errors out. “All in all, it’s the best design if you correct the errors I indicated.”


Ahn Yujin nodded and returned to her desk. Being a senior architect; an architect like her boss, she made sure that the designs met her boss’ expectations.


“Boss Kkura, can you check the list of the materials is okay?”


She eyed the list with keen eyes and the subordinate gulped and waited for her response, all the while her lips turned into a pout.


“We need to balance the mix of cement and rocks so add more cement, Yenduck.” She wrote the additional amount. “Talk to the accountant in adjusting the budget. If she questions, tell her it’s the boss’ orders.”


Choi Yena stopped pouting and bowed at her boss in response. As the head engineer, she needed to meet the design’s structure and technicalities. She was also responsible to coordinate with the senior project manager to meet the cost, time, and efficiency of the project.


“Boss Kkura, would you mind checking the proposal?”


She read every page with keen eyes without missing a single word or picture. The subordinate didn’t gulp but she waited for her response, standing still like a private in the military.


“Good proposal…but the timeline needs to be adjusted, Kwangbae.” Sakura encircled the pages composing the timeline. “Because judging from the list of materials, a year is not enough to purchase everything. Stick to the list of materials and set a longer timeframe for it.”


Kang Hyewon was willing to oblige and returned to her desk. Being a senior project manager, she always made sure to pass a proposal with little to no adjustments. She collaborates with Yena to make the arrangements for the structure and technicalities of the project.


The area was quiet but as soon as the CEO returned to her office, the remaining trio talked.


“Still suffering with the design, AhnYu?” Hyewon asked.


“I’m good. Boss Kkura indicated the errors. I just need to correct them.” Yujin answered as she was on her gaming laptop. “. Our Boss Kkura’s good.”


Hyewon and Yena went to her desk to see the design. They checked the comparisons and wowed.


“You could say that again.” Yena spoke while clapping. 


“I know. Boss Kkura’s amazing.”


“What are you three doing?” Their CEO returned. “Return to your stations. Now.”


Hyewon and Yena bowed their apologies and obeyed. The CEO eyed her subordinates as she drank her coffee.


Miyawaki Sakura was her name. She was a graduate of Engineering and Architecture and Business Management. Hence, she was the head architect and CEO of her own architectural firm. She was successful by becoming an architect of many famous infrastructures, she was driven in her work by becoming the most trusted head by her subordinates, yet she never smiles by being so serious about everything.


Sakura knew it had an effect on her subordinates. It made them follow her passion for work but it made them drift away because of her unapproachable personality. It was always hard to adjust for people but Sakura practiced it, all the while maintaining a professional atmosphere in their workplace.


Sakura returned to her office and slumped on her seat. Work tolled her a lot and she wondered what to do to calm her mind. There were so many options for her because after all, money isn’t an issue for her – let alone for the trio. The problem was that she’ll feel lonely if she does it herself. She could ask the trio to join her but she thought it wasn’t it.


She shook her head and returned to her working façade, calling an international number.


+++


Finish it by the end of the day, Lee. Thanks.


It was from a fellow employee. The latter sighed and worked the payrolls out when a call disrupted her. She answered her personal landline. Hello. This is the Bank of the Philippine Islands. How may I assist you?


Don’t speak English on me, Lee Chaeyeon!


“What is it this time, Eomma?” Chaeyeon sighed.


It’s still about you, Yeon. When will you return home?


“Never.” Chaeyeon spoke as she heard her mother gasp on the other line. “If I come home, you’ll just nag at me to take over our family company. How many times must I refuse for you to listen to me?”


Yeon-ah, you know your father asked for this. We can’t let Ryeong or Min handle it. You’re the eldest child.


“And so what if I’m the eldest child? That doesn’t serve as an excuse for you to make me do something I don’t like.” Chaeyeon spat again while checking the payrolls. “I cannot be obliged to become an heir. Besides, I have work here in the Philippines and for MS Engineering and Architecture. Adding the company will just make me more stressful.”


But it’s you’re responsibility! You’re a Lee!


“Whatever, Eomma. Jokes on you because Appa said it’s up to me. And I say no.” Chaeyeon spat and huffed before hanging up.


The slam given to the receiver almost broke her personal landline. Nonetheless, she returned to her work about payrolls and bank accounts.


Chaeyeon almost blew a fuse again. Another call got to her personal landline. She would love to rant but as an employee, she needed to be courteous. Hello. This is the Bank of the Philippine Islands. How may I assist you?


Miss Lee? It’s me.


Chaeyeon gulped in hearing the voice. Its owner was inside a picture frame she put in her desk decorated with many heart stickers. 


Miss Lee? Are you still there?


“Y-Yes, Boss Kkura.” Chaeyeon spoke. “What made you call me?”


It’s about our next project.


Chaeyeon nodded and asked about  the details. Deep down, her inner self sulked for she hoped that Sakura called her because of something else.


Chaeyeon knew her boss was the god tier of workaholics but what was wrong in hoping that her boss missed her just as how she missed her?


I called with regards to Yenduck’s list of materials. The budget will be changed.


“I’ll check on it later, Boss.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I’m still busy with payrolls.”


Did I disturb youq Why didn’t you tell me you had work to do?!


Chaeyeon wanted to bury her head in shame. Chaeyeon didn’t like her boss yelling at her but she found it sweet when her boss was worried about her juggling too much work.


“Boss Kkura…I’m okay. I’ll work on it after this.” Chaeyeon assured her. “Thank you for informing me.”


You’re welcome – 


A ramble of noises came from Hyewon, Yena, and Yujin. They greeted Chaeyeon and even told her that they missed her. Chaeyeon laughed when they said it and when Sakura scolded them to return to work.


“Tell them that I miss them too, Boss.” Chaeyeon spoke then asked the impossible. “Boss Kkura…do you miss me?”


It took a while to answer. Chaeyeon felt down with the passing seconds. She decided to apologize when Sakura answered.


Yes.


Straightforward, just as she always was. Chaeyeon couldn’t help her smile and spoke. “Well, I need to return to work now.”


Okay. Take care of yourself, Jjaeyeon.


“You too, Boss.” Chaeyeon spoke and hung up gently.


As the receiver was put down, Chaeyeon squealed quickly and grabbed Sakura’s picture, showing the usual mouth line – not a smile nor a frown. She caressed it and kissed it before starting to work on the payrolls so she can work on the project’s budget.


Chaeyeon may have a load of work in her hands but she was willing to do work for an apathetic-looking boss she grew to love.