Spicy Dancing: Part 1 (KkuChaen)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

J.CHALK was a famous dance group in Produce Academy; a famous sanctuary for the best and most famous dancers in South Korea. They were the pride of the dance academy for they’ve participated in many dance competitions, made choreographies, taught famous idols, and conducted many workshops, ranging for the skilled and for the enthusiasts alike.


The members were six female dancers, all specializing in various genres. The eldest member was born in 1995 and the youngest was born in 2004. They started their formation in 2018 and for rocking three years, they dominated the dance industry.


Kwon Eunbi was the eldest; famous for tutting and waacking. Choi Yena was famous for hip-hop dance. Kim Chaewon was mostly into contemporary dance. Honda Hitomi was famous for breakdancing. Ahn Yujin was known for pop and lock. And their youngest, Jang Wonyoung, was known for voguing because of her long limbs.


Their ace was Lee Chaeyeon. She was a master of various genres and was one of the choreographers of Produce Academy and the head choreographer of J.CHALK.


For now, Chaeyeon was evaluating Eunbi’s workshop, senses busy in jotting details and watching a dance cover. Eunbi was usually a strict instructor so most of the dancers were eager to stay focused and control their anxiety. And with the famous ace evaluating it, the anxieties heightened.


“You’re messing up again.” Eunbi pointed at a male dancer. “Seven, eight and one!”


“Eunbi-unnie.” Chaeyeon called. “Mellow down a bit. You’re scaring the students.”


Eunbi sighed and resumed the workshop. She heeded Chaeyeon’s advice and the students focused better and executed the steps better. Chaeyeon returned to her evaluation and video watching and she immersed on watching the person dancing in that video.


As it was heard, she was Miyawaki Sakura. She was an ace dancer for Kaikai; a famous dance group in Japan. Sakura was more onto lyrical dance and was very average in terms of skills, at least by Chaeyeon’s standards. But what fascinated Chaeyeon was Sakura’s charms in performing. She dances basic moves but it will always catch people’s attention because she delivers excellently.


Sakura’s video ended and Chaeyeon applauded in her head. Before it ended, Sakura announced that their academy will be having a dance workshop in Seoul. What perked Chaeyeon up is that they’ll be conducting the workshop in their academy. With that, Chaeyeon took note of the information before the video completely ended.


“Yah, Lee Chaeyeon.” Eunbi scolded her as she sat next to her. “You didn’t pay attention for the evaluations again.”


Chaeyeon harrumphed and spoke the comments directly to Eunbi, from a comment that the students are catching up slowly to a comment that Eunbi should try to maintain a connection with the students when teaching. Eunbi was impressed, even when looking at Chaeyeon’s corkboard.


For now, it was a break. Most of the students went with their personal business and never dared to talk to the instructors. Eunbi wowed of Chaeyeon’s corkboard and of her herself.


“You never fail to impress me everyday, Chae.” Eunbi added. 


“Thanks, Leadernim.”  Chaeyeon raised a thumb. “Speaking of which, heard of Kaikai conducting their workshop in our academy?”


“Yes. Their dance academy, 48G Academy, collaborated with ours for that workshop. It’s a beginners’ workshop, though, so only those who don’t know how to dance can join.”


“Seriously? Not even the enthusiasts?”


“Not even the enthusiasts, Chae.” Eunbi added. “They at least know the basics and they’ve been into other workshops. The future students for Kaikai’s workshop will be people who have NO IDEA what dance is.”


“I see.” Chaeyeon answered as Eunbi stood up and called the students, resuming the workshop.


+++


“Good job, everyone!” Chaeyeon cheered after her workshop.


Her students cheered and they even got a chance to interact with Chaeyeon through little hugs and talks. As Chaeyeon dismissed the workshop, she grabbed her bag and made a sprint to her apartment, which was just a few blocks away from the academy.


She got inside like Flash and changed her attire completely. She even tied her hair into a bun and puts a pinkish orange wig. She also puts on a jacket and puts the hoodie on, looking like a gray burrito. She retrieved her bag, puts on a mask, and returned to the academy.


Usually, choreographers like her went inside at the back but this time, Chaeyeon went inside through the main entrance.


“Excuse me.” The information clerk called her. “Are you going to attend a workshop?”


Okay, Lee Chaeyeon. Play along.


She nodded timidly and got closer. “Y-Yes, ma’am. Where is Miss Miyawaki’s workshop for today?”


“2nd Floor, Room 2. You can still catch up. They haven’t started yet.”


Chaeyeon thanked her and went to the said floor. She crept like a syndicate and opened the room, giving a fright to one of the people inside.


“Uh…is this for Miss Miyawaki’s workshop?” Chaeyeon asked, her head perked by the door.


They nodded and Chaeyeon slowly gets inside, greeting her fellow students. They greeted back with much enthusiasm, even the frightened one. Chaeyeon got closer to her and lent a hand. “I’m sorry to scare you. My name’s Lee Chae-“


Chaeyeon froze. She almost slipped in saying her real name. It wouldn’t make much a difference to say it because none of the people inside had an idea that she was a choreographer of the academy. But it was better to be safe than sorry.


“-jeong. Lee Chaejeong.”


“N-Nice to meet you, Chaejeong. I’m Minju. Kim Minju.”


“I’m Jo Yuri and this is my friend, Kang Hyewon.” A red-haired shook Chaeyeon’s hand too. “Nice to meet you.”


Hyewon just gave a hi-five to Chaeyeon and the latter was obliged. They gathered in a circle and talked about how they joined this workshop.


Yuri was a singer and her parents encouraged her to hone her dancing skills so she can train to be an idol. It was her first time to attend a workshop and she wondered if she’ll able to do it. Minju was a straight A student but she had no extra curricular activities. She tried to join many clubs in school but she wouldn’t get any slots. In the end, she wandered off in the dance club and Minju sought this workshop to gain a bit of skills, at least. For Hyewon, she joined for fun. She and Yuri were best friends and Yuri wanted Hyewon to join so she won’t be lonely. Hyewon thought to keep her best friend company and learn a new skill at the same time.


Many students were getting inside and the quad greeted them. They went back to talking and Hyewon asked. “What about you, Chaejeong?”


“Same as you and to restore honor for my cousins.” Chaeyeon lied. “They are actually good dancers and they wanted me to hone dancing so I can join them in dance covers and so I won’t be left out during hangouts. I’m doing this for them.”


The trio wowed and Minju even applauded. The vacant period was short-lived as Sakura arrived. All students greeted her and she even brought another person along. Chaeyeon wowed as she bowed. Sakura was very pretty in person.


“Hello, Sakura-sensei~” They greeted.


“Hello.” Sakura greeted them. “This is my assistant, Yabuki Nako.”


“Hello, Nako-sensei~” They greeted again.


“Hello.” She spoke and had a piece of paper and pen in hand. “This is going to be the attendance. Write your names, contact numbers, nd signatures.”


Yuri was given the paper and pen first and signed. The trio got their chance to sign and Chaeyeon almost slipped in writing her own name. Nonetheless, she got to sign and passed it to another student.


“Welcome to Kaikai’s dance workshop here in Produce Academy. This workshop is fully dedicated for the rookies of dance. We’ll be studying the basics, practicing grooving and different dance genres, and determining your own dance style.” Nako began. “Our workshops will run for a whole month and hours will be decided by our Sakura-sensei. There may be times that there won’t be workshops due to circumstances or that there’ll be changes in the schedule so that’s where your contact numbers will come in. We’ll update you in case that happens.”


“Before we start, let’s do some stretches. Follow our leads.” Sakura spoke as she the music.


All 24 students followed the two Japanese instructors, with each having reactions during the stretches. For Chaeyeon, it was a walk in the park as she did the stretches with ease.


“Yah…you’re pretty good for a first-timer, Chaejeong.” Yuri whispered.


Chaeyeon cussed in her head and exerted lesser effort. Sakura and Nako were doing the stretches yet most of their eyes were on a student that looked like a human burrito.


Sakura’s eyes glued on her the longest. The student was very familiar, especially with her movements. Nonetheless, she finished the stretches and started with teaching them how to groove.


Chaeyeon watched in silence as Sakura spoke while dancing. Nako was there to follow her and roam around to help the students who had a really hard time. Chaeyeon’s professionalism would scream that all of this was below the basic tier but it was a humble beginning. She was there herself and it molded her to become one of the best dancers in South Korea. 


And in another perspective, she couldn’t help but gulp on how pretty Sakura was as her body moved. 


“Lower the hoodie.” Nako got to her. “Do you think that’s too hot?”


“It’s okay, sensei.” Chaeyeon assured while following Sakura.


“If you say so, Miss – “


“Lee Chaejeong.” She smiled while grooving.


“You’re good for a first-timer, especially with the stretches.” Nako spoke, eyeing her reflection. “Are you sure you haven’t danced before?”


“N-No.” Chaejeong spoke and lessened her hits.


Nako nodded and went towards another student. Chaeyeon was relieved and continued to follow Sakura.


“Okay. Your turn.” Sakura stopped and sat, looking at them. “Nako-chan, join me.”


Nako nodded and sat next to Sakura. The students were a little worried as some of them haven’t got their groove yet.


“This is important. Try to groove on your own. Do whatever you want as long as you get the beat right.” Sakura instructed. “The student who does best first will be pulled out. That will be done until only one student will remain.”


They gulped and had to do their best. Chaeyeon wasn’t going to show her potential and be the worst dancer out of them all.


Sakura played the music and the students grooved. She and Nako pulled a student out after every set of 32 counts. Little by little, the number of students decreased until there were four of them left. Said four was Chaeyeon’s quad.


Sakura had a keen eye on all of them but most of it was glued to Chaeyeon. She had a hunch that this burrito-like student isn’t what she seemed. She was just very familiar.


“What’s in your mind, Kkura?” Nako whispered.


“That burrito girl. She’s pretty good despite doing it for the first time.”


“Tell me about it. Her name’s Lee Chaejeong.”


Nako pulled Yuri out first. Sakura then pulled Hyewon out. It was down to Minju and Chaeyeon.


“She’s holding back.” Sakura mumbled to herself.


Chaeyeon gulped upon noticing Sakura’s gaze. That made her stop, leaving Nako to pull Minju out. Chaeyeon scratched her hoodie-covered head and grooved with the lowest of efforts. The students thought Chaeyeon was good, even Nako was impressed.


For Sakura, it made her hunch clear as water. She’ll have to settle it after the workshop.


“Okay. Great job, everyone.” Sakura got up and applauded with the students. “We’ll have a break and wrap this workshop up.”


The students went towards their things, wiping their sweat and drinking water. Chaeyeon was by the side and did stretches. After all, it was just a warm-up to her.


“Yah…your grooving was awesome!” Hyewon nudged her. “Did the dancing beast awaken inside you?”


Yuri nodded and Minju applauded like a fangirl. Chaeyeon chuckled. “Maybe.”


“Miss Humble…” Yuri nudged her too and Hyewon and Minju agreed.


“Isn’t the hoodie too hot, Chaejeong?” Minju asked. “Why aren’t you taking it off?”


“It’s alright, Min. I don’t want my hair to dishevel and distract me.” 


Minju bought that reason and they were called to gather again. Sakura decided to teach them basic choreography, with Nako following her on the right side so the students can catch up.


The learning time had an average pacing. Some struggled while others were barely holding onto their focus in learning the choreography. For Chaeyeon, she lessened her movements and depended on her photographic memory.


Basic, she thought. Sakura can dance this once and she’ll get the routine exactly how it is from beginning to end.


But as Kendrick Lamar rapped, be humble. Sit down.


The lesson was finished in three hours. Sakura conducted a lunch break for everyone. “Be back before 1. If you’re late, I won’t let you inside the studio. You’ll have to wait until the end of the workshop.”


The students nodded and they went out to buy food at a CVS. Chaeyeon sat by her bag and whipped out a bento box filled with dumplings. She hitched her new friends to share her lunch.


“Chaejeong, it’s okay.” Minju was flattered.


“I insist. I can’t eat these by myself.”


Hyewon thanked her and got a piece. Minju joined in and Yuri volunteered to get them drinks. Chaeyeon even got an extra bento box and gave it to the instructors.


“Thank you, Chaejeong-ssi.” Nako grinned and accepted it.


“Join us.” Sakura hitched Chaeyeon and her friends to eat with them.


“We’re good, senseis. Have a good lunch.” They spoke.


Chaeyeon bowed lightly and went back to her friends, enjoying the light lunch. Yuri returned with the drinks and the quad ate together. 


A ring was heard and Chaeyeon went to her bag to get her phone. She excused herself and went to a secluded area to answer her call. “Hello?”


Where are you, Chae?


“Yen, I’m attending a workshop at another studio. Why?”


Can you come to evaluate my workshop? Eunbi couldn’t make it because of a personal errand.


“I’m pretty busy myself, Yen. Try and ask Ssamu.”


Yena agreed and hung up. Chaeyeon sighed and went back to the studio, just in time for the next part of the workshop to start. 


“Okay. We’ll be doing marks and works. Mark meaning you’ll recall the choreography and work meaning you’ll dance them to the best of your abilities. We’ll have groups of four members.”


Students huddled towards people they know, even the quad. Nako made Chaeyeon’s quad one group and Chaeyeon was tasked to pick a number from the draw lots. She got a number and was relieved, showing it to her remaining trio. “We’re 4th to present.”


Being in the middle was a good thing. Being first or last was pressuring. Nonetheless, everyone sat down with the instructors as the first group marked and worked. Nako and Sakura had their picks for each group.


“Group 4.” Nako called.


Chaeyeon’s quad got up front and formed a window-to-window position; with Chaeyeon and Yuri in front and Minju and Hyewon at the back. Sakura instructed them to mark and they recalled the steps. 


“Work.” Sakura spoke.


The music was played and the quad did their best in dancing. It was pretty evident that Chaeyeon stole the spotlight as she danced like a feather. It was Chaeyeon’s lowest effort yet it was like a show for the witnesses. The rest of the students applauded, even Nako and Sakura.


Groups five and six followed and after that, Sakura picked the best dancers for each group. Chaeyeon was an obvious pick for Group 4 and she was even placed at the front and center. 


“No mark. Work immediately.” Sakura spoke.


It was expected. In dancing, the best of the best had to be challenged to dance immediately. The best six danced right away and Chaeyeon was stealing the spotlight once again. 


“She’s so good.” Nako even became a fan and applauded.


Sakura maintained her professionalism but her inner conscience squealed and cheered using pompoms. She always had a nick for good dancers. In fact, she a was a huge fan of one of South Korea’s best dancers…


…which actually looked like – 


“Good job!” Sakura got up to applaud again, with the rest following. “Nako, get up.”


Chaeyeon was the first to cheer their instructors to dance and the rest of the students followed. Sakura and Nako agreed and they danced the choreography together. Despite its basic skill, Chaeyeon was impressed on how they added their styles and how they delivered them. Sakura shone for her the most and her eyes glued onto her.


Damn, ma…my heart…


The two instructors finished and got cheers from the students, especially Chaeyeon. Sakura and Nako bowed, announced the next workshop and the first dance genre they’ll learn, and wrapped up the workshop through interacting with the students. Some hugged them, some took pictures with them, and some asked for advice about the next workshop.


One by one, the studio became empty. Chaeyeon hugged her newfound friends and bid them farewell. Nako excused herself first because of a personal errand.


“See you on Thursday, Sakura-sensei.” Chaeyeon spoke and walked out.


“Stay.”


Chaeyeon grew stiff. Something in Sakura’s voice made her stop and look back. “Why do I have to stay, sensei?”


Chaeyeon gulped. The serious Sakura grew more serious, walking slowly towards her as her hands reached to lock the only door. Chaeyeon would’ve prepared a scolding for lying about her identity when she saw Sakura lowering her head and fidgeting like an innocent fangirl.


“I never thought of seeing you here.” Sakura slowly looked up. “I’m such a big fan.”


, Chaeyeon thought. Then again, she couldn’t back out now. “What are you talking about?”


“You may lie all you want but I know it’s you.” Sakura spoke. “I know you. You’re one of South Korea’s best dancers, Produce Academy's choreographer, and J.CHALK’s ace. Lee Chaeyeon.”


Chaeyeon gulped and excused to leave again when Sakura pinned her to the wall. Chaeyeon would be blushing by now because Sakura was inches away from her. She even felt her hands remove the hoodie, the wig, and the hair tie that kept her wavy brown hair tucked inside. 


Questions needed answers, motives needed verdicts, and admiration needed assurance. For Sakura, she’d call herself too direct but she loved seeing Chaeyeon, her idol and her heroine in dance, dancing in front of her. It was an experience she didn’t expect yet she wanted it for so long. For Chaeyeon, she’d call herself too rash with her actions but she loved seeing Sakura, the average dancer that had excellent charms, teaching her dance. It was never right to deceive because of her own desire but it was a risk worth doing.


“Yeah. It’s me…” Chaeyeon could only answer that. “Are you going to tell?”


“No.” Sakura reached to cup her face. “I want this luxury all to myself.”


Chaeyeon would bleed her nose to death. For sure, her future days in this workshop are going to be very spicy.