Unheard Voices: Part 5 (KkuChaen ft. KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Chaeyeon looked at her best friend as she was giddy about this meeting. She herself was stuck in the predicament despite agreeing to it when it was discussed days ago. Who wouldn’t agree to it? Her safety won’t be compromised plus she’ll earn a lot than her photoshoots combined.


The previous six tenants of the warehouse had an additional six. The warehouse was so large that it could fit twenty more. Chaeyeon was fiddling her flash drive as she was greeted by the new faces, whistling that their said ‘investigation team’ had pairs of experts.


She and Hyewon were professional photographers. Sakura and Eunbi were lawyers. Yena and Chaewon were policewomen. Jo Yuri and Jang Wonyoung were doctors, specifically pathologists. Yabuki Nako and Ahn Yujin were IT specialists. And Kim Minju and Honda Hitomi were crime scene investigators (CSI).


“So what’s our first case?” Hyewon asked, raising her eyebrows out of excitement.


“Missing kid.” Chaewon read a folder out loud. “A child named Lee Haeun was reported missing yesterday. Her mother was at work and the child was under her brother’s care. She returned to her home last evening and both of them were gone. She tried calling them but she had no leads, not even her relatives know.”


“We had investigated the place as  soon as she called SMPA; to see if we can have clues.” Minju then looked at one of the photographers. “Remember the pictures I asked of you, Chaeyeon?”


Chaeyeon nodded. Yesterday, she was called on a last minute to join Hitomi and Minju at the scene. Hitomi discovered a sock that might belong to Haeun. Before she grabbed the evidence, Chaeyeon took photos of the whole premises.


“I’m still editing them for better quality. I finished a couple of photos and I saw something peculiar.” Chaeyeon spoke, grabbing a cigarette from Yena’s stash and lighting it. “It was a tough case to crack but it just sent me the shivers and the curiosity. Also, I hate archiving my ty thoughts.”


Everyone joined her as Chaeyeon got photos from her bag. She puffed the smoke upwards and Hitomi inspected it. 


It was a picture of the backyard. The sock was there but at the bottom left right under the table, there was another thing. 


A knife.


“We’re going back tomorrow.” Hitomi spoke. “We’ll get that knife and check if there are fingerprints. We’ll also check the sock for any use of DNA samples.”


“That’s settled. Let’s go to bed.” Yujin spoke with a yawn.


Everyone agreed and went to their quarters, with Chaeyeon deciding to stay to empty her cigarette out. One of them cussed and took it from her.


“You never tell me that you smoke.”


“It’s a thing I do to relieve stress, Kkura.” Chaeyeon tried to retrieve back the latter didn’t let her. “Come on, Kkura. Hand that over.”


Instead, Sakura got a chance to try it out. Chaeyeon was stoned as Sakura puffed smoke out and killed the cigarette, smashing it on the ashtray.


“I had that in my mouth.” Chaeyeon mumbled.


“So?” Sakura raised. “Consider it as an indirect kiss.”


“Are you even a lawyer?”


Sakura just smiled and climbed up to her quarters, leaving Chaeyeon to follow her.


+++


The next day came quickly and Chaeyeon was back at the scene, watching Hitomi crouch to look for the knife. S.he decided to explore the place and take pictures. She adjusted the settings and continued to capture the moments.


She finished capturing a photo by the gate and checked the picture. She froze, however, she as she captured a familiar man, all black. His face  was covered by a mask but the gaze was always familiar to Chaeyeon.


Kim Kihyun.


“…” Chaeyeon cussed and returned inside. 
The memories of the past returned, especially that maniacal laugh. Chaeyeon became pale as her hands were cold and sweaty. 


“You okay, Chaeyeon?” Minju noticed her. “Hiichan found the knife. We’ll be finished in a moment – “


“Can you call Yena?”


“Why?”


“Can I ask?” Chaeyeon asked again. “Is Kim Kihyun scheduled to be released this week?”


“No.” Hitomi stood up as she got the knife. “He still has a month to go.”


“Call Yena and Chaewon now.” Chaeyeon showed the picture. “This is him, right?”


Hitomi and Minju had a better look. Minju was shocked yet Hitomi thought it was a different guy. Just then, Chaewon and Yena passed them and they were chasing someone. It was then that Chaeyeon followed them, much to the policewomen’s shock.


Chaeyeon didn’t bother to explain as they caught up to a man in a black  hoodie, wearing a back mask. Yena was very quick to tackle him down as Chaewon helped her out. Chaeyeon readied her camera but as Chaewon took off his mask, it wasn’t him.


It wasn’t Kihyun.


Nonetheless, Chaeyeon took a picture of him and wondered who he was.


“Yoo Yongchan; suspect for the loss of Lee Haeun. You are under arrest.” Chaewon spoke.


Chaeyeon lost it since he wasn’t Kihyun. She ended up looking at the picture when a ring was heard. It came from Yongchan’s pocket. Yena grabbed and the name shocked her.


Kim Kihyun caling…


The trio immediately puled him and the send him to the police station.


+++


Hitomi and Yena were inside the interrogation room as they talked with Yongchan. Chaeyeon was with Minju as they listened. Just then, the door opened and there was Sakura.


“What brings you here, attorney?” Chaewon asked.


“I heard from Yena that someone already found Lee Haeun.” Sakura spoke. 


“That Yongchan confessed, Neesan. Chaewon had other police and investigators and they went to the location.” Minju spoke. 


That was just the tip of the iceberg. Sakura came to check on Chaeyeon. She went closer to her after seeing her feeling uneasy.


“Jjaeyeon, what’s wrong?”


“It’s Kim Kihyun, Kkura.” Chaeyeon spoke as fear seeped her whole being. “He’s back.”


Sakura’s grew dim as she got to the control area, pressing a button and spitting at the microphone. “Yena, ask him about Kim Kihyun’s escape!”


Yena was confused yet she did what she was told. It was said that Kihyun was released early thanks to a sharpened broken bottle and an incompetent police department in the rural area. It shocked them but remembering the words Kihyun spat after that trial, he was going to plot his revenge.


“Next case. We’re going to look for that bastard.” Sakura spoke then pointed at Yongchan. “Keep him detained until then.”


The trio nodded as Sakura got closer to Chaeyeon, hugging her. Chaeyeon hugged back and she was crying and shaking.


“Shh…it’s going to be okay.” Sakura whispered. “I won’t let that guy harm a single hair on your body. We’ll get him. That’s a promise.”


Chaeyeon never lets go of Sakura. Sakura would’ve been flushed but consoling her was more important. Sakura continued to reassure that everything will be fine.


There was no way she was going to let the love of her life in harm.