Me or Him? : Part 2 (2Kim)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Morning came like a flash of light as Chaewon and Minju rushed to the restaurant. Chaeyeon called them at the last minute for an important announcement for them, they can never be late or else Chaeyeon will become the descendant of Gordon Ramsay.


Chaeyeon was already inside as the rest got inside, panting as they sat down. Even Nako dragged herself on the floor for being too short and speedy and had to be helped by Hitomi.


“What is this, boss?” Minju panted. “What’s the rush?”


“Manager Kwon called. Our annual critic will start next week and we need to practice our skills.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Her panel of critics will also come and they’ll judge each of our dishes.”


“So…we’re making a dish each?” Yujin raised.


“Yes. You and Wonyoung will have a shot in the kitchen this time. If you’re concerned about not being able to wait tables, we have interns from my sister restaurants.”


“You have sister restaurants?” All of them asked.


“Yes. There are two, to be exact, and they’re all managed by my sisters, Chaeryeong and Chaemin.” Chaeyeon showed a board of the their plans. “Ten interns will come to act as our waiters and waitresses.”


“Will your sisters be part of the annual critic?” Hitomi asked.


“Also yes. Chaemin’s team has finished last week and Chaeryeong’s team will start today. As I said earlier, we’ll start next week.” Chaeyeon spoke as she wrote additional details. “The interns will come tomorrow and they’ll join us in our daily works.”


The rest thought while listening, reading, and understanding Chaeyeon’s plan. They also gave suggestions and Chaeyeon was willing to insert them and to listen to the pros and cons. When everything has come to an agreement, they applauded and had an hour to prep up and start their service.


Chaewon and Minju got to their stations. With their current menu on saucy dishes, Chaewon was in the kitchen while Yuri was in cashier duty. Despite having a busy kitchen, Chaewon and Minju had adjacent stations and talked while cooking.


“How was the date yesterday?” Minju asked, scaling a sea bass. “Did you have fun?”


Chaewon hummed and lets Minju taste her shawarma sauce. Minju raised a thumb as Chaewon sets it aside to cool before putting them in bottles.


“Yeah. What happened to that?” Nako asked while making dough for churros. “Did you two do the deed?”


Chaewon threw a towel at her face, even Minju was close to throwing her knife by her station but of course, a serious Chaeyeon was watching them. 


“We had the usual date. We ate a pizza house.” Chaewon said as she blushed. “He asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes.”


Chaeyeon stopped chopping vegetables, Hitomi dropped her lamb onto the fryer, Nako splattered churro dough on her stovetop, and Minju almost cuts herself filleting the sea bass.


Chaewon checked if she was okay as the rest had their reactions before resuming. Minju watched Chaewon hold her hands and give little kisses to her fingers, causing her heart to thump.


They were sad thumps. Chaewon may still care as a best friend but she had no chance to be more than that anymore.


Yuri’s yell came across the kitchen as they have their first set of orders. Chaewon managed to put a bandage on Minju’s pinky for it had a scar, just before she returned to her station. Minju wanted to thank her but there was work to be done.


+++


Lunch time was a marathon to the 2000 employees. While they served their customers, they took turns in earning vacant periods to eat. Chaewon and Minju took a break together and ate the lunch packs Chaewon brought. 


“You guys went to this pizza place?” Minju asked, tasting the food.


“Yeah. Taeyang’s idea.” Chaewon answered. “The pizza place doesn’t serve good pizza, I know.”


Food was still food for them as they continued to eat. They exchanged faces on how the toppings weren’t a good match and the dough was too tough despite being microwaved properly. Those looks turned into laughter as they gulped it down like real women.


A phone call was heard and Chaewon quickly answered it. “Hello?”


Chaewon, can we have another date this evening?


“Pass. I’m having dinner with Minju tonight. I promised her yesterday.” Chaewon added. “This weekend, okay?”


She hung up and Minju heard it all. Chaewon wondered about her look when the latter spoke. “Isn’t that a weird impression to your boyfriend?”


“Come on, Min. I promised.” 


Minju thought it was wholesome. She didn’t want to be a bummer to a couple that recently got together yet Chaewon doesn’t dwell on stuff like that because a promise is a promise.


Yuri calls them to return to their stations and the best friends quickly ate the pizzas before rushing to the kitchen.


+++


Chaewon and Minju were back at their favorite ramen house after work. And as promised, Chaewon treated Minju omurice. Minju ate wholeheartedly and was smiling the whole time. A sight like that made Chaewon smile to.


“Have some, Ssamu.” Minju scooted the plate. “I can’t empty this myself.”


Chaewon agreed to help her out. She was eating a spoonful when she almost spits it. Minju was quick to serve her water when a hand grabbed it and gave it to Chaewon.


“Taeyang!” Chaewon almost yelped. “What are you doing here?”


“I passed by and saw you, babe.” He joined in and sat beside her.


“Uh, babe…this is – “


“You must be Minju.” Taeyang shook hands with her. “Nice to finally meet you.”


“Back to you.” Minju pointed out and ate again.


Chaewon called the waiter for an extra plate and Taeyang ordered his meal plus more side dishes for the three of them. The order came in immediately and Taeyang dug in.


“They changed the flavor?” He asked as he ate again. “This is great.”


“The ingredients are still the same except Ahjusshi used a different fish, courtesy of Min here.”


“I heard from Chaewon that both of you work in a restaurant. Do you two cook?”


“Yes. Ssamu’s good at sauces while I cook seafood.” Minju spoke as she ate. “I also heard that you took Ssamu to a pizza place that had quite a low reputation.”


“It was cheaper. There’s not much difference anyway.” Taeyang shrugged. “It’s just pizza.”


Chaewon told them to resume their meals. Call her oblivious but she wasn’t sensing the tension Minju and Taeyang have for they were hidden by smiles and casual talks.


Taeyang thought Minju was stealing his spotlight for Chaewon’s attention. Minju thought he had a cocky ego just by his way of speaking. Two days were too short for it to be possible but Minju had quite the gut feeling about him.


She just hoped that he wouldn’t do anything stupid to hurt Chaewon or else there will be war.