Reunited Angels: Part 5 (2Kim)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was the spring of 2021. It was also the beginning of every freshman’s life in the university. For the 12 friends, it was also their beginning within their respective universities and fields. 


In the case of Kim Chaewon, it was her beginning as a student in Seoul National University, taking Performing Arts.


Today was a rush for Chaewon. She was in a rush for vocal practice when she bumped onto someone.


“Sorry.” Chaewon huffed and grabbed the dropped books.


She handed them to the person and the latter left without any gesture. Chaewon saw another book on the ground and was stale since the latter had gone. She looked at the book and it hit her.


It was the same book she gave to Minju on her birthday.


Chaewon looked ahead and the latter happened to be a pink-haired girl. She couldn’t see her face a while back because of the Sun’s rays yet she had a feeling that it was her. Chaewon texted her team that she couldn’t make it to practice and decided to follow the girl. She tried running and catching up but somehow, the girl walked fast.


“Hey, you!” Chaewon called as she saw the girl at a flight of stairs.


Chaewon huffed and ran towards the stairs, shocked to see that the girl was gone. She didn’t give up searching throughout the university, calling girls that had a similar look but not the ones she was looking for. Her tiredness became her beacon to stop as she decided to give up and find another way to bring the book back to its rightful owner.


Chaewon remained on her spot as her eyes looked and hands rummaged on the book, leaving Chaewon to sigh and remember everything back then...


…until the rain stopped her from her daydream.


Chaewon ran to the nearest building, which happened to be the College of Tourism building. She sought shade from the rain until it would stop. She looked up, a hand reaching to touch the droplets when someone was by her side. Chaewon looked to her side and saw a girl. Her face couldn’t be seen due to the umbrella covering it but there were features that Chaewon noticed.


She saw pink hair, her striped shirt, a while clip by her ear…


…and a necklace with a Yin pendant.


“That necklace and clip…” Chaewon was hit with the realization as she held the same similar objects on her own figure.


The white-colored clip matched her mint-colored one. The Yin pendant matched her Yang pendant.


Was it her? 


Was it Minju?


“You…” Chaewon spoke but the latter already walked away. 


Instead of chasing her and bringing the book in her hands back, Chaewon stood frozen as her eyes became teary. She lets her memories flash back as her hand clutched the book close to her heart. 


She recalled all the moments she tried to tell her feelings to Minju. She recalled all the moments knowing that she and Minju loved each other but they were afraid to tell. 


And right now in this moment, Chaewon hoped that she was looking at her, just as she always had, and hoped that For just one day, one hour, or just one second, she’ll see her again.


+++


“I love this place, I love to stay~ in SNU, 서을대학교~”


“Seoul National University. The truth is my light.” One of them spoke inside the station the stopped the recording. “And that’s a wrap! Nice work, Ssamu. Jjoyul.” 


Chaewon raised her thumb as two familiar friends draped an arm around her for the broadcasting jingle. They ended up going to the canteen to have lunch and per usual, the third of the friends ate like a champion.


“Aish! Don’t eat too much sweets, Kwangbae.” Chaewon got her third cake and ate it. “Your coach will screw the best news anchor of this institution.”


“Says one of the vocalist of the Glee Trinity of this institution.” Hyewon added. “Speaking of which, where’s Yena?”


The said duck waltzed her way to their table with her soft singing voice and her annoying quacks afterward. She sat in front of Chaewon and Hyewon, kissing the girl beside her.


“Jjoyul, my love~” Yena pecked her cheek.


“Yen~” Yuri laughed on how ticklish her peck was.


“Too much love in the air.” Hyewon swept the air away. “You can bear being the third wheel, Ssamu?”


“For some reason.” Chaewon answered while drinking her hot tea.


The three eyed Chaewon suspiciously. Chaewon raised an eyebrow but the trio raised both.


“What?”


“Don’t deny that you’re used to it.” Yuri spoke. “The accident was long gone, Ssamu. She’ll forgive you now.”


Chaewon sighed while she scratched her head. The accident was one thing she wanted to forget but she couldn’t. It may become her reason to why she went a little distant but the heart couldn’t deny that she missed her.


That she missed Minju…


“If it only it was me in her place…then this wouldn’t have happened.”


“Psh…and she’ll be doing the same thing you’re doing.” Yena crossed her arms. “We don’t want to force you, Ssamu but if your given every opportunity to be honest, use them wisely.”


The school bell rung as a sign for their discussion to be over. The Glee Trinity had to practice whereas Hyewon excused herself by running out of the canteen.


“Where is she off to this time?” Yena asked.


“Probably a date with Kkura.” Yuri added. “Let’s go.”


Yuri went ahead as Yena got to her side. Chaewon followed behind, playing her role as the third wheel. 
She sighed. It turned out that the trio cased her point in wanting to see Minju again.


+++


Hyewon got to restaurant and went to a table, sitting down as she faced a former short-haired girl but now, she had long hair.


“You look good on your hair, Kkura.”


“Thanks.” Sakura spoke, scooting an extra drink. “I ordered this for you. It’s still your favorite, right?”


Hyewon nodded, thanked her, and drank slowly. Sakura couldn’t hold a little smile and drank with her.


Yena had her hunch right but that was it. Because to them, this wasn’t a date. And on cue, the cause of their meeting was a table away, making her recent mistake after many more.


“Min won’t last long. No offense.” Hyewon spoke.


“Say that again but slowly.” Sakura added.


The two eyed their friend as she was scolded by her manager. They also noticed her remove her apron and got to their table. Hyewon excused herself to buy another drink as Sakura began talking to her. “Finally jobless, Minju?”


“Finally jobless.” Minju sighed. “Although it’s not that much needed, I feel bad wasting the experience, the income, and the practice.”


“Why don’t you return as a part-timer in Chaeyeon’s mom’s café?” Sakura suggested. “All of us uses to work there before plus Imonie’s very considerate.”


“You know I can’t, Kkura.” Minju looked at her intently. “She’s there. She might not want me around.”


“Cut her some slack, Min.” Hyewon returned and gave her the drink. “The accident tolled her. She regretted when you were in harm.”


“But it wasn’t her fault! Why can’t she get that?!” Minju snapped but the duo had to calm her down.


Minju threw hands and calmed, causing tears to drop. She wiped them off herself and sighed. “So you two came for this? I thought you were dating?”


Were.” They spoke, causing Minju’s eyes to go wide.


“Wait! Does that mean – “


“Yeah. We split.” Hyewon spoke first. “It turned out we wanted to stay as friends and nothing more.”


“But you and Ssamu? You were destined to be together.” Sakura reverted the topic. “Your grandparents were right in pairing you two up. You still were your accessories and you two miss each other dearly.”


“The accident and your cowardice to confess tolled you two to not be together. It shouldn’t hold you back, right? It’s just that you two need to heal.”


“But for how long?” Minju batted. “Our patience would wither and…” She looked at the door as a familiar face arrived. “…I’m close to pursuing someone else.”


“Yujin?!” Hyewon and Sakura reacted.


“What?” The taller chuckled and sat beside Minju. “I never thought I’d see you two on a date.”


The trio looked at each other. It seems that Yujin was the oblivious one of the fact that Hyewon and Sakura have broken up.


“Yeah…” The broken-up duo nodded.


“It’s a double date, then.” Yujin spoke then held Minju’s hand. “You wouldn’t mind, right Min?”


Minju shook her head and Yujin offered to treat all of them. She went to the counter as the trio sighed at each other.


Their friendship was still intact but deep down, there were spirals of confusion due to the incident a few years back. There were many times that they wanted to be truthful to each other but it would lead to more casualties. Sugarcoated lies were the only remedy of the tragic past so everyone can move forward.


But when it came to love, it would never work. The mind may forget but the heart will always remember.


+++


“One tiramisu on the go!” Chaeyeon yelled as she served the dessert. “Don’t forget the extra cream, Hiichan.”


“Yes, Sajangnim~” Hitomi cooed as she went to serve the dessert to its customer, making Chaeyeon hiss playfully.


“Here’s the payment for Table 6, Sajangnim~”


“Aish! No wonder Hiichan got savage.” Chaeyeon hissed as she punched the transaction.


In Leé Café – the said café owned by Chaeyeon’s mom, work goes along like play when the real owner lets her successor take over. The three were university students that focused on school and club activities yet they put some time to take part-time work onto their hands. For Chaeyeon’s case, it was a practice to become the business’ successor. And for the rest of her friends, it was a way to earn extra.


“Hello~” Chaewon got inside.


“Ssamu~” Nako and Hitomi waved before cleaning the tables.


“Hey, Ssamu. Where are Yen and Jjoyul?” Chaeyeon asked. 


“Date.” Chaewon got inside the kitchen.


“Kwangbae and Kkura?”


“Also on a date.”


“But didn’t they break up?” Hitomi asked. 


“They got some talent.” Nako added then nudged Hitomi. “I wish we’d go on dates!”


“Working in the café is considered a date and we had many of those.” Hitomi ranted, almost smacking her.


“Why smack my small figure when you smack me with your lips?”


Nako zoomed inside the kitchen and Hitomi chased her. Chaewon almost bumped into them but she was quick to dodge and join Chaeyeon in laughter.


“I wish I was on a date too…but Eunbi’s pretty busy as part of the student council.” Chaeyeon chuckled.


“Where is she?” Chaewon asked. “It’s a vacant time today.”


“Emergency meeting. She’ll catch up working in the evening plus we’ll watch a movie later.” Chaeyeon spoke. “We got a spare ticket. Want to come with us, Ssamu?”


“I need to take a break from being the third wheel.” Chaewon added. 


“Okay…but not on this shift, though.” Chaeyeon pointed at the door towards the kitchen.


Chaewon shrugged and returned. Chaeyeon returned to her post and would’ve greeted a customer when a familiar friend came inside. Chaeyeon gasped and rushed to hug her.


“You…K-Kim Minju!” Chaeyeon broke and held her hands. “Kim Minju! Where did the Lord put you that you were gone for so long?!”


“Five months weren’t that long, Yeon.” Minju spoke. “I…I have a favor to ask.”


Chaeyeon nodded and decided to instruct Nako to take over the cashier. She shared the same shock as Chaeyeon but she was shushed by Chaeyeon herself.


“Just take over, Nako. Minju and I need to talk.” Chaeyeon spoke. “And don’t tell her she came.”


Nako nodded. Chaeyeon and Minju went to another door that led to Chaeyeon’s house. Chaeyeon lets Minju sit on the sofa as she sat on a stool, facing her. 


“Yeon…can I work in the café again?”


“What are you asking about, Min? You’re always welcome to work here! Eomma assured it for the 12 of us.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I can even pay you extra so you can pay for your tuition and rent.”


Minju was relieved and thanked Chaeyeon for the chance. Chaeyeon understood Minju’s suffering because she was reminded of her accident that cost her family’s expenses that led them to some debt. For Minju, she wanted to work and go to school so that her parents wouldn’t be burdened.


“Thank you so much, Yeon. I’ll do my best!” Minju bowed.


“Chaeyeon! Where should I start with – “


The three froze. Chaewon would’ve just asked about work but fate was playing with this moment. Nako and Hitomi rushed behind Chaewon and joined the frozen brigade.


Chaewon couldn’t believe her eyes. She saw her again.


“Min…” Chaewon rushed to hug her. 


Minju’s eyes went wide as Chaewon continued to hug her and mumbled her name into her ear. Minju felt tensed but she exhaled and hugged Chaewon back. 


“Hi, Ssamu. It’s been a while.” Minju spoke as they broke their hug. “Are you working part-time here too?”


“Min…”


“All of us have, Min.” Hitomi stepped in to calm Chaewon down. “Are you okay now?”


Minju nodded, adding a smile. “I am. I’m glad we all get to reunite.”


Most of them nodded but Chaewon grew teary. Chaeyeon signaled the small couple to leave them to talk and they returned to work. Chaewon and Minju looked at each other, with Chaewon’s tears dropping and Minju giving a sad smile.


“I’m sorry for last time. We bumped into each other yet I didn’t notice you.” Minju began. “I’m sure the book I dropped must be with you.”


Chaewon nodded but her tears didn’t stop. Minju wiped them with her fingers but the action triggered a pain in her head.


“Min!” Chaewon caught her before she fell. “Min, I’ll take you to the hospital – “


“No! No…” Minju spat. “I’m okay, Ssamu.”


“Are you sure?” Chaewon asked, still growing worried.


“I am.” Minju assured her by holding her arm. “Cheer up. We have work to do.”


Chaewon knew forcing wasn’t going to help so she nodded and followed her. She was happy to see Minju again but sad to see that Minju changed. Chaewon began to question their destiny and if the invisible string they had was cut.


If only she could back the clock where she had the courage to confess before their barrier grew bigger.


+++


The 5 of the 12 friends worked in the afternoon and more of them followed until the evening. They mostly focused when there were customers but when it was close to closing time, they talked.


“Only Wonyoung and Yujin aren’t around. What made them busy, anyway?” Yuri asked.


“Wonyoung will be studying overseas soon. She’s preparing.” Sakura answered. “I heard Yujin’s in our university, busy making vlogs.”


“All of us are studying in the same university yet we only see each other when we work here.” Nako sighed.


“But to the least we reunite, right?” Hitomi spoke then pointed at their two friends from afar. “I don’t think it’s the same for them.”


Most of them looked at Chaewon and Minju. Ever since they met, there were no special gestures or words between each other. It’s like the accident became a huge factor in building a stronger wall between them and cutting their usual ties altogether.


For Chaewon and Minju, they pretended to be deaf. They heard their words pretty well and were building up competition, fear, and patience. Chaewon was building more patience while Minju was building more fear.


“Ssamu, should I clean the graffiti?” Minju asked.


“No.” Chaewon spoke. “It bears memories that you can’t just erase.”


“Plus Chaeyeon wouldn’t want it, Min!” Hyewon voiced out and got a nudge from Sakura, Eunbi, and Chaeyeon herself.


“Time’s up.” Chaeyeon voiced out. “Good work, everyone!”


Everyone cheered, put their aprons back on their stations, grabbed their stuff, and bid farewell one by one.


“See you all next Wednesday. Get home safely...” Chaeyeon waved. “…especially you, Min.”


“Wait, Min.” Eunbi stopped her. “Where do you live?”


“Not far from here, Eun.”


“Ssamu. Take her home. It’s late plus she needs to go home safely.” Eunbi nudged her roommate.


“It’s fine, guys. I can go home alone.” Minju insisted. “Don’t worry. See you this weekend.”


Minju went. The remaining trio were still concerned yet Chaewon obeyed Eunbi out of her instruction and her own concern. The duo watched the other, sighing.


“It feels like that isn’t Minju.” Eunbi spoke. “It’s like she doesn’t remember Chaewon.”


“She does. She’s just afraid to feel it again after the accident. Chaewon shares the same feelings.” Chaeyeon spoke. “But like all of us, I’ll believe that time will come that they’ll muster the courage to tell their true feelings.”


“But why this long? I think they loved each other for a long time.”


“Love can make or break anyone anytime, Eun. But I always believed Minju’s grandparents that they are meant for each other.” Chaeyeon added. “All of us are witnesses.”


Eunbi nodded and pulled Chaeyeon outside, leaving Chaeyeon to turn off the lights and lock the café closed. 


“Come on. You owe me a date.” Eunbi winked.


“What about Ssamu?”


“She can go back to our dorm herself,” was all Eunbi reasoned as they went out.


+++


Chaewon knew this wasn’t suitable but being worried made her follow Minju. Minju knew this was awkward but being considerate made her not react. In the end, the two walked side by side to Minju’s house.


“You reside here?” Chaewon asked as they arrived at an old gate.


“Yes.” Minju nodded. “You didn’t have to take me.”


“Why? Is it uncomfortable?” Chaewon asked.


“A bit…” Minju spoke. “I don’t mean it that way. It’s just that it’s been a while…” She sighed. “…especially when – “


“I understand. You don’t need to talk about it if you’re uncomfortable.” Chaewon spoke. “You need to go inside, Min. It’s getting cold.”


“Okay.” Minju lent a hand. “Nice meeting you again, Ssamu.”


Chaewon took a while to shake back. All this was too awkward and too new for her. 


“Yeah.” Chaewon shook back. “Nice meeting you again, Min.”


Their hold took longer than expected; as if neither of them want to let go. Both were torn with their emotions again but Chaewon wanted this moment to last.


“Min? Why aren’t you getting in?”


“Yujin-ah.” Minju lets go and hugged her.


Chaewon was shocked. Yujin was more shocked seeing her. Chaewon would’ve combusted but she couldn’t jump to conclusions yet.


“AhnYu…it’s been a while.” Chaewon raised her hand up for a hi-five.


“Y-Yeah…” Yujin nodded and hi-fived back. “I guess you’re working at the café too.”


“Why didn’t you come?” Chaewon asked. “And you and Min are roommates?”


“I got busy with a vlog. I’ll be joining Min during the weekends.” Yujin spoke then draped an arm around her. “Let’s go, love. It’s cold.”


Chaewon felt her world fall. She wanted to lash out on Yujin for making a move on Minju and she wanted to lash on Minju for breaking their destiny of being together. She knew this wasn’t right but it happened in front of her.


The deep void inside her heart grew deeper and for the first time in her life. 


“Ssamu, see you this weekend.” Minju spoke as Yujin pulled her inside. “I’ll see you.”


Yujin shuts the gate behind them and Chaewon remained frozen. As she returned to reality, she walked back but almost tripped, as if the sudden revelation took her being away.


“This must be my punishment…” Chaewon mumbled and cried.


She ended up running back to her apartment. Eunbi was waiting by the door and got worried when Chaewon returned with tears on her face. 


“Ssamu – “ Eunbi was quick to catch Chaewon as she collapsed on her knees.


Chaewon wept everything she witnessed. Eunbi couldn’t help but join her as they take time to get up and go inside.


It all made sense to Chaewon. It all made sense that her cowardice in being truthful made her lose the one she loved forever.