A Day With Mama and Papa (2Kim ft. Yuri)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

I was awake at 1:00 AM, tired eyes growing wide from that sudden motion towards consciousness. I was alone in my room and it was completely dark. I wasn’t scared at all. I had gotten used to it over the years and my ‘dad’ taught me.


By my dad, I mean Kim Chaewon. She was female like my mom but who was I to care? The like of this Kim Yuri was open-minded and strong, just like my two moms were.


I scrolled through my phone to pass the time as Papa Chaewon told me that I should sleep in one go without any disturbance. If ever I was sleepy again, I need to wake up. If I sleep again, I’ll be even more sleepy throughout the day. Back to my scrolling, my gallery mostly had my parents and us. I checked my social statuses in my SNS and it was mostly about family – even my posts were about my family. I checked my fanfic site and I wrote mostly about them.


Being the only child has its factors but family was family, no matter how much stuff is going on with the world.


This day wasn’t lucky for my tiredness. I didn’t heed my Papa’s reactions as I drifted back to sleep.


+++


I was awake at 5:30 AM this time. I had my usual walk at 6 plus I was meeting a friend so I decided to prepare my attire. While doing that, Papa Chaewon came to the room to get ready herself. 


She and Mama Minju were going to church. I couldn’t come because of the pandemic’s precautions plus I wasn’t much religious. I couldn’t wash up yet since Mama Minju was using the bathroom. I just sat on my bed, watching Papa Chaewon get some clothes that were actually in my room.


“Yul, can you help me with this?” She asked while lifting some clothes. “Pull these pants.”


I nodded and got the article as she lowered her stack of clothes. She was checking some more clothes and I thought she needed help but she just got the pants and went out.


“Papa?” I called.


“Yes?” She asked, looking back at me.


“Happy Father’s Day.”


She smiled and got closer to me, pecking my forehead. “Thank you.”


I smiled at her as she lets go to change. The few minutes of the hour went smoothly and I prepared for my workout, I watched my parents prepare to church and we went on our separate endeavors for the morning. 


It was weird for the typical family-oriented people. It was a Sunday; family day and even Father’s Day. It was supposed to be a day where family members gather together to have fun, open up, and seek union and reconciliation. It was a different case for us.


It was always like that but it was more than meets the eye.


+++


My morning walk was unexpected since I didn’t meet my friend. As a result, I walked alone and longer than the expected thirty minutes. As I walked to my home and unlocked it, I was greeted by its emptiness.

 
“They haven’t arrived yet…” I mumbled as I got inside.


I changed, took a bath, and waited at the living room for them to come. Waiting lasted for less than an hour and judging from the sound of Papa’s motorcycle engine, they’ve arrived. I was eager to see them get inside as much as my stomach rumbled. I was hungry and it was almost my eating hours after fasting.


“Sorry, Yul. We didn’t get to buy food.” Mama Minju patted my head and gave it a kiss. “The restaurants are closed and the line at McDonald’s is too long.”


I nodded out of understanding. Luckily, there was still leftover spaghetti that I cooked for us yesterday so when my eating hours have come, I decided to eat on it while drinking hot chocolate. Papa Chaewon got changed and I watched her cook something.


My mouth watered despite eating spaghetti. She was making okonomiyaki and yakisoba.


Even if I ate, I waited for Papa Chaewon to finish cooking so I can eat again. I returned to my room, scrolling through my phone until Papa Chaewon called us to eat.


“Yul~ come on.” Mama Minju also called.


I nodded and got to our dining table. The typical sitting assignments were for Papa Chaewon to be on the center while Mama Minju and I were on the sides. But here, I get to sit in the middle as both of them were at the side.


I was always tasked to say grace before we eat. Eating was mostly quiet and I just watch them look at other as a way of communication. We only had a share each of okonomiyaki and yakisoba so eating time was really short. Papa Chaewon finished first, followed by me, and Mama Minju.


“Yul, can you wash the dishes?”


I just nodded, feeling a bit pissed a first because usually, the last person to finish eating washes the dishes. But since I already touched the messy bowls and plates, I decided to wash them. While I did, I had my trip down memory lane.


Papa Chaewon and Mama Minju shared the same last name even before they got married and had me. According to their stories, they met in highschool and Mama Minju was attracted to Papa Chaewon wearing a white shirt. They shared their sentiments towards their love story – from studying in the same school to being partners in dance performances. They were deeply in love until they had to separate because of college. 


Mama Minju came from a poor family and she had siblings; an older brother and a younger sister. That rough start gave her the determination to work hard in life. She graduated in Yonsei University within Business Administration course and is a department head within the Korean government. She’s usually quiet and dorky but when she was serious, she had a bad mouth. There were times she yelled at me for making mistakes that made me want to run away from home or kill myself but despite that, she meant well. She provided my needs and did all efforts to make me heal properly when I had measles or when I had to be operated because of a fractured arm.


Papa Chaewon came from a rich family and she had an older sister. That silver spoon paid the price of a very strict father that she chose the rough start in life. Nonetheless, it gave her the determination to work hard and study despite being in a poor situation. She was an undergraduate in Yonsei University within the Engineering course because of financial problems but even if she didn’t finish her studies, she became a department head within a construction company. She’s usually silent and serious but when composed, she was open-minded and wise. Like Mama Minju, she also had a bad mouth when angry. There were times she yelled at me for making mistakes and for using my phone for too long that made me cry and want to run away from home but despite that, she meant well. She provided my needs through buying high quality stuff and kept all the things I made for her – from the time I gave her a Valentines Day card to the time I sent her a self-made video on her birthday. 


After washing the dishes, I watched over them. Papa Chaewon was watching Fox News whereas Mama Minju was resting on the bed because of a sudden headache. Being the child who respects personal boundaries, I went to my room and do my personal stuff.


+++


I woke up in the evening, just in time to drink my medicine. What shocked me was that my parents were beside me. Mama Minju was still sleeping, holding my hand as Papa Chaewon got to my aid.


“Hey…how’s my little Yuri?”


“Papa…”I felt a cloth on my head. “…what happened to me?”


Mama Minju woke up and hugged me out of relief. She was happy that I was already fine as I questioned them about my state.


When they mentioned fever, I finally understood.


I remembered the time Mama Minju shared their journey in having me me. They were always blessed to have me because before that, both of them had slight infertility issues to the point the doctor said that they can’t have children. Both of them were devastated at first but they visited an OB-GYNE, followed every procedure, and managed to do a successful IVF with their egg cells. At the time  Mama Minju got pregnant with me, she was 37 years old while Papa Chaewon was 43. When the labor came, Mama Minju was calm as shs pushed. Papa Chaewon said that she even had to rush to the hospital during her snack time, wrapping her bitten kimbap with a hanky. She even snapped at the nurses to stop interviewing her because Mama Minju was in labor.


And when I came to the world, I was a healthy baby. Yet later on throughout my fourteen years of existences, I developed a lot of ailments. I had gastric problems, seasonal flu, chicken pox, dengue from when had a trip to the Philippines, skin breakouts, asthma, pneumonia, and an ovarian cyst because of genetics since Mama Minju had them in her thirties.


“Am I getting the flu again?”


“Of course not, Yul. You’re okay.” Papa Chaewon spoke as she laid me down again. “You need to rest more, okay?”


I nodded and closed my eyes. Before I slept, they slept by my sides, heads leaned to each other. It was a little tight but it made me smile as I drift to sleep.


Even if they can get cocky sometimes, they really cared and loved me. And for me, they were my parents in which I love with all my heart. 


+++


It was a usual weekday. Papa Chaewon drove our car with Mama Minju beside her. I was in the back seat, holding my bag and I’ll be sent to my school first. Once we got to the gate, they gave me 10000 Won each.


“Thanks, Mama. Papa.” I said and got out of the car.


They followed suit to give me kisses. It was embarrassing for middle schoolers to get too affectionate with their parents but parents were parents. Besides, my classmates had their fair share.


Lee Yena was being pampered by her dad, Aunt Kaeun whereas her mom, Aunt Sakura was reprimanding her. The twins Lee Nako and Lee Wonyoung had their hair fixed by their dad, Aunt Chaeyeon and were given lunch boxes by their mom, Aunt Eunbi. Their parents were also friends with mine so our friendship was meant to be.


Does this mean I’m also meant to be by my crush?


“Aunties~” Yena greeted my parents with a bow. “Yuri-ya~”


“I got my eye on you, Lee.” Papa Chaewon glared.


“Mind her, kids.” Mama Minju spoke. “But please, Yena. Do take care of our baby Yul.”


I blushed about their calling yet Yena thought it was wholesome. I bid my parents goodbye and also greeted Yena’s parents.


“Do take care or our duckling, Yuri,” said Aunt Kaeun.


“Don’t be an embarrassment to Yuri.” Aunt Sakura spoke, leaving Yena to quack a whine.


We spared a last goodbye for the morning and we waved at them as they drove to work. 


“Let’s go. Nako and Wonyoung are waiting.” Yena held my hand.


I nodded as I was flushed. Nonetheless, I’ll enjoy this beautiful day just as my parents would want for me.