Powerhouse (KkuChaen)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Power. A vast vessel that allows extravagant minds with abundant resources and strong influence to climb into the top of the system – even for just one millisecond of their lifetime. It’s hard to believe that despite those luxuries, there’s an instance that they grant allegiances to fellow power, to crime…


…even to both.


I had a huge life ahead of me. Being the eldest daughter of conglomerates, I had the share of winning the powerful lottery and had my fair experience of earning it from my hard work. It was a dream that many people wanted to grab ever so desperately and I was one of them that had the luck.


But boy, did I become stuck to its bad effects? Who knew it was all possible thanks to a gang?


“Where is my bodyguard?” I sighed hard as I saw a trio. “What are you three wearing?”


“We are your bodyguards, Miss Lee.” A brunette spoke. “And what’s wrong with our clothes? They’re cool~”


I rubbed my temples as I looked at an idiotic trio wearing clothes of the Yankees. Kudos to the cultural respect that they implant but they should be cultured in this particular environment.


“Miss Lee is feeling the utmost discomfort for your choice of outfits.”


“Big Boss!!” All of them bowed.


The said big boss was wearing a black suit and tie. She was also wearing black shades to which she took off, showing her beautiful face and her sharp eyes.


And suddenly, the fiery gaze in those eyes turned soft.


“Miss Lee.” She held my hand and gave it a kiss.


Her idiotic underlings cooed and I looked away. But as much as this was awkward, it was making my heart beat quickly and my feelings mushy. Her cold aura returned again as she reprimanded her underlings to change clothes and go to their posts.


This person was Miyawaki Sakura. She was the Big Boss, the syndicate head of the famous mafia clan in East Asia – the Rubber Mountain Kings, and the head of my company’s security sector. 


“That’s cute, Miss Lee.”


My other executive officers arrived and each had Sakura’s underlings by their side. Ever since Sakura became the head, all executive officers had their own bodyguard not only for protection but for transactions as well.


For the case of my tall CIO Jang Wonyoung, she was with a smaller bodyguard, which I always found funny.


“Same for you, Miss Jang.” I chuckled. “How’s it like to deal with a bodyguard that looks like your little sister?”


“Now, now, Miss Lee. No need to get that testy.” 


“Manners, Yabuki Nako.” said Sakura.


“Sorry, Big Boss.” Nako mumbled and bowed.


My five executive officers and I had to go to our respective offices together with our assigned bodyguards. Wonyoung and I went together since our offices were separated by a wall plus she was my secretary. As we arrived, Wonyoung was inside as Nako stationed by the door. It would’ve been the same case for me when Sakura held my hand.


“Careful on what you hold, Miyawaki.” I spoke.


“Remember to call me when something’s wrong.” Sakura spoke. “I mean that.”


“I know. No need to be so uptight about it.” I answered.


“I promised to protect you, Chaeyeon.”


I froze of those words. Those were the words that started this whole thing. Those were words got me into the bad side of being at the top of the system.


I couldn’t blame Sakura at all. She had done a courageous act that saved me.


“Of course, you did.” I added as I closed my door in front of her.


+++


It was chaos for OI Enterprise, a company that became dominant in the market and in the government for being stakeholders of various establishments and for having its chairman as part of Korea’s wealthiest – even the world’s wealthiest that got his picture and name on Forbes. The chaos that befell upon them was a failed fundraiser because of incidents involving the CEO and CIO’s injuries and for audio equipment to fall off the stage, causing resources and more injuries to staff and clients.


For now, they were inside their special meeting room watching one of them getting mad as they lost their formalities.


“I want MNT Corp gone!!” The CEO slammed the table.


“Chaeyeon-unnie, please calm down – “


“No! I’ve invested everything for this event and I’m not gonna let a bunch of s ruin the future ones for me!!” 


“Chaeyeon-unnie, the interns are waiting for the lecture.”


She shrugged and went with one of the officers towards the conference rooms, leaving the rest to face-palm over what they’ve witnessed.


Lee Chaeyeon was the CEO and the heart of OI Enterprise. She was a savvy and can work through anything about business, influence, and philanthropy because she was born from two. In fact, the reason why she got into power was because of her background and her hard work. Being the eldest daughter of two conglomerates made her driven to do work properly while becoming a serious boss that answered to none of her staff, except –


“What the was that?!” Another officer came inside their meeting room.


“The COO’s quite salty today.”


“All of us are, idiot.” She added.


Kwon Eunbi may be second in command but she was the only one that was in Chaeyeon’s level. She’s also a head of various business revolving in OI Enterprise – her notable one being Subway.


“I’m gonna have a heart attack unless someone explains why the incident happened.”


“It was all thanks to MNT Corp, Eunbi-unnie.”


Jang Wonyoung was OI Enterprise’s longest C-Class officer. She was in the company since she was sixteen and had been CIO and Chaeyeon’s secretary since then.


“More like MFT Corp, Wonyoung-ah.” Eunbi added. “Mother ing Trash Corp.”


“Hey!” Chaeyeon reprimanded after they both returned from the lecture. “Do not impose curses on Wonyoung. You know how she hates them.


“I’ve been immune now. Don’t worry.” Wonyoung spoke. 


“Well, this is a lesson for all of us. And thus, we must remove them from the subsidiaries and cut their funds.”


Jo Yuri was as savage as Chaeyeon and was one of the most strict CFOs in the Korean business industry. She was a strange woman from the day she worked as a staff but with the obsession of working hard, she climbed the corporate ladder and became the second largest stakeholder of the company. By day, she was OI Enterprise’s treasurer and was a famous singer by night. She’s also a CEO of an entertainment label, also named OI.


“We can’t just make that decision. It’ll decrease the credibility of sponsors.” Eunbi added.


“No. Yuri’s right and that says a lot because she knows the flows of money.” Chaeyeon spoke. “We’ve cut our losses on this too much plus we’re injured.”


Eunbi thought everyone was fine. But as Chaeyeon uncovered a gash on her forehead, everyone almost puked. Wonyoung even showed her broken ankle.


“Hitomi. Minju.” Chaeyeon called.


Honda Hitomi and Kim Minju were her CBO and CMO, pawns within the business side of things. They were tensed when Chaeyeon called them because they were responsible for promotions and transactions – the two aspects to which attracted MNT Corp to OI Enterprise and the sole reason why the fundraiser took place.


“We’re sorry about this, Chaeyeon-unnie.” Hitomi spoke. “We did thorough evaluations and they were the only suitable company to help up with the fundraiser.”


“Should we leave?” Wonyoung asked.


Chaeyeon knew what Wonyoung meant. She agreed to it and the rest of the officers left their meeting room, leaving the three to discuss about their business and marketing procedures.


“Unnie – “


“Hold on.” Chaeyeon rubbed her temples. “I need to control my cool for a bit.”


“I know you’re angry at us – mostly me – but you can’t blame us because the fundraiser failed.” Minju said. “We had to pick them because of their credibility for philanthropy, an objective to which Chairman Lee wanted to meet.”


“Wait, you had a meeting with my dad without me?” Chaeyeon asked. “Why didn’t you say anything sooner?”


“We were instructed not to.” Hitomi answered. 


“First off, you cannot have a meeting with him without my permission.” Chaeyeon batted.


“He came here last week when you had a meeting with the executive branch. He didn’t want to disturb you so he went directly to the marketing branch and gave me some instructions.” Minju clarified. “I was then told to collaborate with the business branch to propose a subsidiary contract with MNT Corp.”


Chaeyeon felt bad for getting angry at her staff. If there was someone she should talk about some mishaps, it should with the Chairman. 


“We couldn’t tell you, unnie. You know how Chairman Lee gets angry at you if you don’t obey his wishes,” said Minju.


“Okay. I’m sorry for yelling and getting angry. You only did that to protect me.” Chaeyeon spoke as she lowered her head. “But please…tell me everything when Dad wants to keep them secret. Let me do my job as your boss.”


Hitomi and Minju agreed and swore to do their job better. Chaeyeon went to hug them and the duo hugged their boss back.


“Alright.” Chaeyeon pulled them up and wrapped her arm around their shoulders. “Call the rest. Let’s have barbecue.”


+++


Chaeyeon lets out a large burp after she got in her Tesla. She waved goodbye to her fellow officers as she drove onto the wide highway and into narrow roads in the Gangnam district. Her mansion was at the far end so Chaeyeon had to work on her steers onto a road that only fitted two vehicles. 


The place was almost quiet except for Chaeyeon playing a list of IZ*ONE songs. The lights were bright enough to see the rest of the neighborhood…


…and a van racing towards her home.


Chaeyeon shrugged it off and drove to her parking lot when it almost hit her car. She raged and got out when the van opened its doors and revealed men in black suits.


“Who the are you?”


“None of your concern.” One of them charged and held her wrists.


“Let me go!” Chaeyeon screamed as more of them tied her wrists and ankles. “Yah! Someone help me!!”


The men were ganging up on Chaeyeon as she struggled to let herself. With every force to let loose came the loss of her bravery. 


Who were these people? What did they want? Could this be the end of her?


“Leave that woman alone.”


A red Mazda stopped and a brunette came out of it. She was wearing a normal jock suit and had a cigarette between her teeth.


“Who the are you, ?” 


“Someone that saw you trying to abduct that woman.” She spoke while stepping on her cigarette. “You wouldn’t want to do that to her, now?”


The men drew their weapons and Chaeyeon grew more scared. She continued to struggle but the men held onto her to make her stop. 


“How unfair and uncivilized.” The woman did a fighting stance. “This is gonna be an uneven match.”


The men laughed at her. How could a skinny brunette beat ten strong men that had weapons? Chaeyeon would’ve worried about her own safety but she was more worried about the woman. Nonetheless, a man charged to give her a slap when that man was down together with his two incisors.


The woman slapped him back with one hand but it was as strong as a horse’s kick. It cost him his bloody face and his pearly white smile.


Three men carried Chaeyeon on the van as the remaining six fought head on with the woman. Amid her screams for help, Chaeyeon noticed the woman fight all of them off alone. She had no dagger - not even a brass knuckle – and delivered kick after punch after toss. The weapons of the enemies were deemed useless as the woman turned its owners into a bloody massacre. 


She was tossed inside the van and screamed for help. She felt the van move for a few seconds before it skidded towards an electric pole. Chaeyeon managed to duck thus she protected herself. She felt a little dizzy from the impact but hope was restored when the woman got to her and carried her in her arms. 


They were away from the smoking van and Chaeyeon was in the arms of her heroine. She was placed on the ground and was removed from her ties. She managed to get a look at her savior, seeing a scratch on her cheek as her fiery gaze turned soft.


“L-Look out!” Chaeyeon pointed on her back.


The woman stopped the man from hitting her with a pole. She twisted it – including the guy’s arm – without looking away. Another man charged and the woman turned around delivering a strong uppercut. The driver of the van was the last to do an assault but it failed as the rest, leaving him a broken hand.


“W-Who are you?!” Chaeyeon asked, feeling safe and scared.


The woman excused herself and faced the men. They were now conscious but have gathered by the van and they chickened out. The woman cussed of her ruined jacket that she tore the sleeves, showing her arms.


A tattoo of a crowned Mt. Fuji was seen on her left arm and the men cowered of the sight. They ended up running away, leaving the woman to laugh and wiped her scratch.


“Yah! Why are you laughing?!” Chaeyeon couldn’t believe everything she had witnessed. “That massacre you pulled wasn’t funny!”


The woman’s fiery personality turned soft as she rushed to help Chaeyeon up. Chaeyeon was even shocked that the woman scraped the dust off of her.


“A simple thank you would’ve been enough, Miss…” She spoke. “I’m sorry, what’s your name?”


“You shouldn’t know. You might be the next one to kill me.” Chaeyeon harrumphed and marched inside her home. “Thanks, by the way.”


The woman pouted and nodded as went back to her car.


“Wait!” Chaeyeon called as the woman turned around. “Chaeyeon. My name’s Lee Chaeyeon.”


“Miyawaki. Miyawaki Sakura.” She spoke. “I’ll come here again.”


“What?” Chaeyeon gasped. “Why?”


“Because I now promise to protect you…no matter what happens.”


+++


Chaeyeon’s future days had gone downhill. Her house was filled with A LOT of guards when she woke up. When she was off to work, she has a chauffeur instead of driving herself to work. When she was in her own company, security was tighter – even the maintenance rooms had guards. 


“Miss Lee!” Wonyoung rushed towards her. “Are you okay?! We heard of what happened!” She even checked her face. “Did you hurt yourself?”


“I’m fine, Miss Jang. I’m still alive.” Chaeyeon spoke. “What’s with these guards?”


“It’s why I rushed to you. Vice-Chairman Lee is in your office and she’s talking with a woman in a suit.”


“Miss Lee.” A small bodyguard bowed at her. 


“Who’s this?”


“My personal bodyguard. Nako, was it?” Wonyoung spoke, getting a nod. “


Chaeyeon had no time to dillydally as she quickly walked to her office with Nako and Wonyoung on her tail. As she opened the doors, she saw her mother shaking hands with a woman – 


“Chaeyeon-ah!” The vice-chairman rushed to hug her daughter. “Thank God you’re okay!”


“Omo- hi, Chaeyeon~”


“You!” Chaeyeon was shocked to see Sakura again. “What are you doing here?!”


“Chaeyeon! That’s not how your father and I taught you to greet our guests.” Her mother scolded her. “Say hello to Miss Miyawaki Sakura.”


Chaeyeon sighed and lent a hand to which Sakura shook delightfully. “I’m glad to see you again, Miss Chaeyeon~”


“Do you know each other?” 


“Uhh…” Chaeyeon spoke. “…she saved me from abduction.”


The vice-chairman was like a happy woman having her daughter sent off to marriage. She ended up hugging Chaeyeon tight and thanked Sakura for her heroism.


“Your father picked the right choice for a security service, Chaeyeon-ah. Which is why…” She pushed her daughter towards Sakura. “…Sakura-san’s security service will take charge in securing our companies and protecting our employees.”


Chaeyeon was shocked and she wanted to curse at her dad for making another rash decision. She looked back at Sakura and saw her eyes ogle at her.


Was this even the same woman that killed ten men with her bare hands?


“And what’s in it for you, Miss Miyawaki?”


“I’m afraid that’s confidential.” Sakura spoke. “I’ve already made the deal with your father and he approved to work with us. As for me…” She bowed and held Chaeyeon’s hand. “…I’ll be your personal bodyguard.”


Chaeyeon was against the idea. But with a little prick on the forehead from her mother, the refutes had no effect. And knowing that her father decided, there was no way to change that decision.


“That settles everything. I need to return to the main company, you two.” The vice-chairman spoke.


Chaeyeon and Sakura bowed as she left the office. Once she was out, Chaeyeon held Sakura’s collar, saying. “Who the are you, Miyawaki?!”


Sakura coughed but deep down, it was nothing. Out of respect for the CEO she saved, she had to be submissive. 


Or maybe because she was just whipped…


“You saw the tattoo on my left arm, right?” Sakura asked. “Search for ‘Rubber Mountain Kings’.”


Chaeyeon’s curiosity was so great that she immediately researched it. The results shocked her to the point that she choked Sakura’s collar again.


“No way…” Chaeyeon cussed. “There’s no way my dad agreed to this!”


“He did.” Sakura got herself off. “Our first steps in this company was like their safety drill. The moment I stepped inside, everyone groveled…even your dad…”


Chaeyeon was still shocked. Sakura maintained her soft persona despite her graphic words.


“I’m the Big Boss, Chaeyeon. The entirety of East Asia bows down before me…because thanks to me, I keep our countries thriving.”


“What do you mean?”


“From business to health – even security – we control them. We may have our share of black markets, drugs, and tteokbokki stores that laundered billions of dollars, it’s because of us that our countries are developing. And it’s all because of my leadership.”


“Goddamnit, Dad…” Chaeyeon cussed beneath her breath. “And what does that make us? Will you control us too?”


“Oh.” Sakura thought. “I didn’t come here to take your father’s company. It’s not the reason why I’m here…” She inched closer, holding Chaeyeon’s chin. “I came here for you.”


The approach disgusted Chaeyeon. But her heart was telling a different story. Chaeyeon shuts her eyes tight and Sakura lets her go.


“I was serious about that promise, Chaeyeon.” Sakura added. “I promise to protect you. I will not only protect you but also the ones you love…no matter what happens.”


“Are you even a head of a gang?” Chaeyeon still asked. “Why would you do all of this for me?”


Sakura’s soft persona changed into the same persona that beat the out of those men. Chaeyeon gulped and stood still, all the while her head screamed to how stupid her father was in working for the Mafia.


“Because I’m in love with you…”


+++


Because I’m in love with you…


Those words rung in my head for God knows how long. It was how Sakura got in my life and of how our innocent company was stained with crime for the past two years. 


I would’ve gotten rid of them but even the power of a billionaire can’t beat Sakura’s trillion. Also, they played a huge role in keeping the company at the top of the system and secured it from crooks, scammers, even from corrupt officials of the Blue House. The integrity of service within the company has reached the highest standard thanks to Sakura and her team.


Which is why I feel bad sometimes. Sakura had to let some of her other members do Mafia work while she works as a bodyguard here. All just for me.


Will the time come that I’ll finally acknowledge her feelings for me?


A sudden explosion was heard and I ducked onto my desk. I could hear gunshots, hits, and the screams of my employees. I couldn’t just stay in my office. I had to check on Wonyoung and the others.


I went outside and Sakura was shocked. “Miss Lee, you have to stay inside your office.”


“As your CEO, we need to check the well-being of the staff!” I demanded as we ducked because another explosion was heard.


Sakura agreed and made sure to stay by my side. The two of us were running away like rats, with Sakura using her gun to hit the enemies. I got inside Wonyoung’s office and she was hiding by the bookshelves. She was teary and I reached to comfort her. I helped her to get up and follow Sakura and Nako. 


“Sakura. Nako. Instruct your team to check on the staff and the clients. They need to be safe!”


“Right away, Miss Lee.” Nako obeyed and spoke through her earpiece.


“How was the system infiltrated?!” I asked Sakura.
“Yujin sent me the details. It was MNT Corp, Miss Lee.” Sakura spoke as she cracked the neck of an enemy. “It turned out that they plotted your assassination and had another gang to back them up.”


“Was it the same group that attempted to kidnap me?” I asked and got a nod.


Bastards. They were plotting revenge because of business. It was right for our company to get rid of them knowing that they had this dark secret.


The four of us went to the other branches, saving our fellow officers while Sakura’s main team formed to become our defenses. Everything was messed up because of business – because of power. I could blame Sakura for involving us in this mess but they made up for it by protecting the company’s people and made sure the enemies were killed.


We got to the lobby and saw Sakura’s team fighting the remaining enemies as the rest formed a circle to protect the civilians. Some made attempts to call the police but I demanded them not to because one, our company will be tarnished and two, Sakura and her team will be arrested.


It had to be that way. It was the only thing I could do to repay her feelings for me.


The enemies were down to sixty and none of my staff and clients were injured. I instruct the security team to let them go and file reports which shouldn’t affect OI Enterprise and the Rubber Mountain Kings. My family stood the company for years and I will refuse to let it fall in the hands of the wrong and I will never let Sakura’s efforts in protecting me become nothing.


I felt disgusted. That specific wrong was in front wearing that stupid grin.


Ahn Joonyoung.


“We didn’t have to go through this, Lee Chaeyeon…but you give me no choice.”


Twelve of us were left in the building and half had no guts to fight. I had to stay to settle matters with Joonyoung and my fellow officers had my back and stayed too. It was then my worry fueled when Sakura’s main group stood in front to protect us.


My heart feels heavy. I didn’t want her to get harmed.


“Don’t worry, jangnims. We’ll protect all of you,” said Kang Hyewon, Sakura’s first lieutenant and Eunbi’s bodyguard.


“I’ll protect you, Miss Lee.” Sakura spoke and drew her fists. “I promise.”


Eighteen men charged and so did the heads of the Rubber Mountain Kings. The RMK fought them head-on and the men were down in less than a minute. Joonyoung summons thirty more and the RMK dealt with them again, with Sakura fighting off the most number of men.


Sakura drew closer to Joonyoung with his two remaining men. They both charged simultaneously and Sakura punches one on the face and kicks the other’s privates. She crushed their heads together and they fell. Sakura drew her gun on Joonyoung’s forehead and the latter raised his hands and crouched.


I thought it would end well. Joonyoung was defenseless and we were going to report him to the police. But as I saw a sniper from the third floor aiming her gun at Sakura, my feet suddenly carried and I run towards her.


A bang resonated the lobby and I felt dizzy. My vision was blurry and I was on the marble floor. I glimpsed at the sniper being shot by Yuri’s bodyguard, Choi Yena, and Sakura and Nako cuffing Joonyoung. It was then my heart sank as Sakura drew closer and held me in her arms.


“Hey…are you okay?” I asked as I reached for her cheek.


The fiery gaze was gone. The soft gaze of happiness turned sad and was flooded with tears. I felt her hand on my waist and I looked down and saw blood. 


I never thought I’d be shot. I never even thought of dying like this. Maybe this was fate’s way of acknowledging my feelings towards Sakura. 


She promised to protect me. It was time I did the favor.


Sakura, the tough Big Boss of a crime organization, was weeping in front of me and screamed at her team to call an ambulance. The other officers gathered and made their courses of action, with Wonyoung patching my wound with her dress.


“Chaeyeon…why did you…”


“People always do crazy things when they’re in love.” I spoke. “You did something crazy by being a head of a gang and being a bodyguard to protect me. Now it’s my turn by taking a bullet for you.”


Sakura was chuckling and crying. I still caressed her cheek to calm her down. I was slowly losing consciousness but with the ambulance, my company, my fellows officers…


…and Sakura…


…I have more reason to keep on living.


+++


“Chaeyeon?”


My eyes were adjusting its vision as my breaths were slow yet continuous. I looked up and saw a warehouse. I saw the officers and Sakura’s team welcoming me. I looked around for that someone and I finally saw her.


“Boss, you need to wipe the grime and sweat from your latest mission.” Nako spoke as she gave her a towel.


Everyone gave us some space and I saw that soft side again. Those eyes. That cheeky grin…


…and those tears that were filled with truth.


“Hi…” Sakura went and held my hand, placing it on her cheek. “I’m glad you’re okay.”


“I’m still stiff but yes, I’m alive.” I spoke as my fingers caressed her cheek. “I’m alive because of you, Kkura.”


Those words were enough for Sakura to cry a bit. I joined her and let both my hands cup her face. Her two years of protecting me became worth it in the end.


And as for me, whether I got involved with power, or crime, or both, or none at all, it was fate’s way of saying that I wanted to love Sakura and protect her with my life too.


“Let’s start our misadventures in power together.” I spoke as I hugged her closer. “Let’s sell Fuji apples this time.”


“I got that under control, love.” Sakura spoke as she looked at me. “We’re an electrical company now plus I created an organization name with the twelve of us.”


“What did you call it?” I asked.


“Powerhouse.”


We both shared our kisses and hugged each other, starting our new lives together and still in power.


Powerhouse? I love it.