Not A Love Story: Part 3 (MongMin)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Another morning greeted Seoul. Minju was doing the usual work, heading towards a specific cubicle when she was greeted by a sleeping figure. Minju froze to look at her but her conscience slapped her to concentrate.


“Kwangbae.” Minju nudged. “Kwangbae, wake up.”


Hyewon rose up, yawning and stretching her limbs. Minju sighed and patted her head. “The Boss is making you work overtime again?”


“Nah, it’s cool.” Hyewon spoke. “We’re handling a client in America and Boss Honda had to assign me for this deal.”


“I hate to say this but she tasked me that you should handle this deal too.” Minju added as she handed a document.


Hyewon read it and sighed, putting it in her pile. “Okay. I’ll deal with that at the end of the day.”


“Are you sure you’re okay to deal with that investor?”


“It’s actually a hiring for more people in our firm. Choi Yena, was it?” Hyewon spoke. “She’s an heir to Hanlim Multi Art School and works as a stockbroker there. Boss Honda wants her to work with us.”


“I see.” Minju nodded. “Hey. I got Chaewon the opportunity. She’ll have her interview tomorrow.”


“Whoopee.” Hyewon scoffed. “Go back to work, Min.”


Minju pouted yet agreed. As she returned to her cubicle, she always wondered why Hyewon was always triggered about Chaewon.


For Hyewon, she wanted to slap Minju out a reality that her moves in getting back on Chaewon were pure bull. She wanted Minju to open her mind and heart because there are people who will love and treat her better.


She will do all in her power to love and treat her better.


+++


It was another evening and another dinner for Hyewon and Minju. It would’ve been the typical indulging of luxurious and more rounds of alcohol but this was all a plan to make sure their bet was on their winning side.


The two watched Choi Yena having a meeting with her family and stockbrokers from another company. As far as what they’ve heard, the stockbrokers were making a huge deal with the Chois so they can invest on them. Hyewon and Minju were there to gather information and use it to make their strategies to get the Chois to invest in their company.


“We’re betting a better chance, Kwangbae.” Minju spoke as a notification popped out from her phone.


Hyewon’s phone also had the same notification and she was quicker to read it. She chuckled and Minju joined.


“The world is ing small.” Hyewon commented. “I can’t believe this Choi Yena is the third girl at The Grind.”


“Mhmm. It’s also the main reason why I let Chaewon to get an opportunity in working in the firm. If she got the trust of both women, we’ll have a better chance of getting those two stockbrokers.”


“You cheap crook.” Hyewon scoffed again. “There’s also the news that The Grind, KT Corporation, and Hanlim Multi Art School have a common benefactor and those crooks of stockbrokers over there will try to make a larger deal.”


“Then, we’ll tell Boss Honda to make a bigger deal.” Minju spoke and dialed the boss.


Hyewon continued to observe as Minju waited for the call. She got an answer – a lewd answer.


“y times again, Boss?” Minju scoffed.


It was over. What’s the status? Will you bet that their bets will go up?


“As high as Namsan Tower, Boss. However, they don’t realize that it’s a risqué move to do.” Minju added. “Kwangbae and I read some news about the enemy company, even the benefactor. Both are crooks and will bet money up, resulting for connected establishments to struggle in a few years time…” She smirked. “…unless we give a better and cheaper deal, Boss. We’ll also include assurance that the media will have no share of it.”


Do what you must. If this works, you and Kwangbae will get shares. I’ll ask Otousan about it.


“And if we don’t?”


The usual. Duh.


Minju rolled her eyes and agreed to it. She hung up immediately, just in time to see that their food has been served. Hyewon was praying and dug in first.


“You’re eating without me.” Minju pouted.


“You took so long. I was hungry.” Hyewon spoke. “So, how did the call go?”


“We’re on with the plans, Kwangbae.”


“Okay.” Hyewon nodded while she munched. “Come. Less about work and more about dinner.”


Minju agreed and finally, she gets to have a usual bond with Hyewon, which made her happy throughout the night.


+++


It was a weekend. Minju was at The Grind once again in a very early morning. She was reading a book and drinking coffee since sleeping was being a to her. Then again, coming to the café had another purpose.


She was meeting with someone. And it wasn’t Hyewon.


“Is this seat taken?”


Minju looked up and shook her head. The latter gave a smile and sat across her.


“What brings you here, Ms. Road to Being a Big-Time?” Minju asked.


“I’m sharing some news.” She showed her resume. “I got hired!”


Minju raised a thumb as congratulations. “So that means no more working here, huh?”


“Yeah…even Yena and Yuri are quitting soon.” 


“Don’t worry. You’ll reunite with them soon.” Minju spoke and drank coffee.


“Don’t you have any news for me, Minguri?”


Minju froze but she looked at the other person. She sighed, saying. “I’ll be a part-owner of the company soon.”


“Yikes. It’s another step for the both of us, then…”


Minju nodded. “Yeah. Kwangbae and I had accomplished a great deal. She’ll also be a part owner with me.”


“Is it me or you and Hyewon got closer? Is she your girlfriend now?”


“Says the ex.” Minju snapped, closing her book. “What a bother asking me that…” She spat slowly. “…Kim. Chae. Won.”

Chaewon felt numb. Minju did nothing but return to her usual business in reading the book.


“She may not be my girlfriend but she had my back since forever.” Minju snapped. “She’s fixing the damages you did to me.”


“Min…”


“. We shouldn’t have met.” Minju snapped again and drank her coffee in one go. “I’m going home now.”


“Wait.” Chaewon stopped her. “Min…let’s talk.”


“What is there to talk about, Chaewon?” Minju looked back at her. “I can’t believe you have the audacity to do this after you left me and our two years together.”


Chaewon sniffled. Minju lets go off of her hold and sat back down.


“Min…that was for our future – “


“Future, my . You told me you’d leave for America yet you also left me to go for your own selfish desire!” Minju spat then scoffed. “Just so you know, I lost my mind when you left! My insomnia got worse thanks to you!”


“I returned here for you, Min!” Chaewon spat back. “I saved up whatever money I had and climb the harsh ladder of life, especially when you became a bigshot.” She wiped her her tears. “I had to work here, at a laundry shop, at a carnival, and at a bar to meet you at the top. And with this chance…” She held Minju’s hand. “…I can bring us back. I can heal all your wounds, lull you to sleep, and love you again. Just give me that chance again, Min…”


Minju never thought that was the whole reason. In fact, she’d never thought she’d get the reason at all. Even if Chaewon was doing it to return to her, her reasons didn’t convince her one bit.


Instead of being happy, she got more disappointed.


“You think I only want you to be with me so that we will be in in par with regards to money?!” Minju snapped again. “How could you stoop so low?! How could you think I’m that easy?!”


Chaewon’s apologies rang as noise for Minju. She would hug Minju to return to her and settle everything but Minju wanted to go away.


However, she froze. Hyewon was by the door, panting and giving a worried look towards Minju.


How could Minju forget that despite having a lack of sleep, Hyewon was always sleeping beside her? How could she not be aware that Hyewon would be worried sick if she went anywhere without telling her where she went?


“Kwangbae, let’s go.” Minju got to her side and pulled her out with her.


“Min!” Chaewon tried to chase after them. 


“Don’t.” Hyewon stopped the both of them for debating between her. “You need to go home, Ssamu. You can’t be late for your first day at work later.”


Chaewon persisted but Hyewon glared at her. Chaewon clicked her tongue and left. Minju never thought her best friend was scary when she got mad.


“Kwangbae, I – “


“Did you come to the café to see her?!” Hyewon snapped.


Minju couldn’t lie. She bit her lip and nodded lightly, causing Hyewon to scoff. “Min, why don’t you just admit it?”


“Admit what?”


“That you are a serial crook who messes people up.” Hyewon crossed her arms. “You meet up with Chaewon – even yelling at her for the past – and made me worried sick to where you went.”


Minju felt guilty. She wanted to talk about their mishap at home and Hyewon agreed, walking ahead. Minju was on her tail and it took minutes to arrive since Minju’s apartment was close to the café and the company. Nonetheless, the two got inside. Hyewon was by the door whereas Minju sat on the chair, facing her.


“Kwangbae, I’m sorry.” Minju sniffled. “Please don’t be mad at me.”


“You behave as if you don’t have a best friend that worries about you.” Hyewon spoke.


“So, I’m sorry.” Minju got closer and hugged her.


Hyewon wasn’t buying it, ever since the proposition of being a rebound came in. She promised to be there for Minju but the latter’s actions were testing her patience and her loyalty. 


If only she said no to this mess. Then, their lives would’ve been better.


“I only have you now. Please…” Minju cried and buried her face on Hyewon’s neck. “…please don’t be mad. I don’t want you to make it a reason for you to leave.” She sniffled. “Don’t leave me like Chaewon did.”


Hyewon felt a tear drop. She wanted to beat her soft heart to death. She couldn’t believe to why she still has the patience and loyalty to be with Minju after all she had to face.


It goes to show that love is a endless circle of ups and downs in building two hearts as one, all without measure.


“Fine…but I’ll be setting conditions from this day onwards.” Hyewon spoke, hugging Minju back. “You must always inform me where you go. If you meet with Chaewon again, I’ll punish you by not letting you take your sleeping pills. Lastly, don’t play with me just because I’m a rebound. If we’re in the moment, take it seriously.”


Minju nodded. Hyewon would’ve let her go so she can rest but Minju hugged her tighter. Hyewon’s heart was playing with her own emotions. Again.


“Hey. We can still hug in our sleep.” Hyewon nudged her. “Come on. I’ll lull you to sleep again.” 


Minju followed Hyewon to the bed. Minju lies down first and Hyewon tucks her in the blanket before joining her. Minju was quick to scoot closer to Hyewon and slept peacefully. Hyewon hugged back and joined in slumber, a tear dropping from the edge of her eye.


She tries to increase her patience and hope that one day, Minju will love her back.


+++


Time passed almost too quickly. The firm now had ten manpower. Chaewon was shocked that Minju’s words became a reality; that she got to see Yuri and Yena soon. She was even glad to see Minju however, she was in another section with Yuri, Yena, and Sakura. Wonyoung, Yujin, and Nako were close to where Hitomi, Minju, and Hyewon were.


As best friends who became bigshots, they were now the right and left hands of Hitomi. And to celebrate another part of their success, the two decided to hang out in a carnival. Despite being older women in business suits, they give their younger selves a chance to shine; to have fun in rides, to laugh in childish plays, to win toys, and to eat street food.


For now, Hyewon and Minju walked side by side. Hyewon was busy eating popcorn whereas Minju just downed her drink, asking. “Kwangbae, how rich do you want to be?”


“Hmm…I can never tell. The opportunities come into my doorstep, I grab all of them, and earn a lot from it.” Hyewon answered. “Despite being part of 1% of the population that has 50% of the world’s wealth, only time can tell of how rich I want to be.”


“Ugh…such percentages, Kwangbae.” Minju spoke. “How come you’re so witty?”


“I lived and experienced the reality, Min. Life when you start out poor so I had to climb the harsh ladder of life to get to the top.” Hyewon added. “The money I earn doesn’t just vanish from my own lavishes. It’s for my parents, for Kyungwoo, even for Zeze.” She looked at her best friend. “How about you?”


“Being rich doesn’t begin to cover it. I’m like you in terms of grabbing opportunities but what I really want?” Minju pointed at her heart. “Company. It doesn’t pay that your family’s in paradise and that you’ve walked through life alone.”


Hyewon nodded, remembering how Minju was the only survivor in her family after their car crashed down the ravines. Hyewon’s family pitched her in until Minju decided to live independently, taking part-time jobs here and there to sustain her needs. Even if that became the ultimate decision, Hyewon didn’t stop helping her and her family was supportive.


Which is why, the two had a bond like no other. Minju felt at peace when she was with Hyewon, just as much as Hyewon was with her.


Except for these times, Hyewon thought otherwise. She wasn’t as peaceful as before. Minju’s dense mind towards her feelings were almost too tough to bear.


“Yet, I climb the ladder. I had company before yet I was left alone again. I am in an endless cycle of those mishaps yet, my heart will always seek company.” Minju added. “It’s the company that urges me to go through life, not to make lots of money and lavishly spend it.”


“You’re a fighter, Min. The tree frog that cried when bullied grew up to become a bull frog; tough and impressive.” Hyewon added.


“Of course. You used to raise your fists for yourself and for me. Now, I want to do the same for myself and for you.” Minju added, throwing the empty drink and raising her fists close to her face.


Hyewon had a laugh. Minju pointed at a carousel and the two decided to try the ride. In the sea of kids, they were the adult message bottles that drifted for God knows how long. Minju was riding a horse whereas Hyewon stood by the pole like a bodyguard.


“Kwangbae, relax.” Minju held her hand. “Your head is above the clouds again.”


“Well, just me and broad perspective with the world. Call if sentimentality, if you will.” Hyewon spoke. “Our ed-up pasts, our success with our careers…” She grinned. “…even our mishaps of love.”


“What’s love got to do with you, Kwangbae?” Minju asked. “You never had a partner.”


Hyewon continued to grin and Minju whined to why she said that. Hyewon had to mess with her by scuffling her hair and shushing her as to not disturb the others. It was like a playful game of tug-of-war until they were close to each other.


Hyewon always embraced the feeling; raging heartbeat, flushed face, and a gaze that fueled out of love. Minju was starting to have that feeling towards her yet her mind and heart became stubborn.


Nonetheless, they let go and continued to enjoy the evening together.