Reunited: Part 2 (KkuChaen ft. OT10)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Chaeyeon was a bundle of joy, especially when she does ridiculous antics with her team of four called the Suspenderz. They had the record for cutting classes, pulling pranks, and getting punished for doing both. They were the highlight of clownery and mockery because the students found them pitiful, entertaining, and funny. For the Suspenderz, they cared those comments for nothing.


Even if they were always positive, they were still humans capable of feeling negative. In Chaeyeon’s instance, her smile would disappear because of one person.


Miyawaki Sakura.


If there was a group for being delinquents, there was also a group for being popular by the name of the NZI girls. They were athletic, smart, and talented for being the school’s idol group. They had six members and sadly, Sakura was one of them. To make matters worse for Chaeyeon, Sakura was the most popular of them all.


And who could forget the worst of its degree through being friends with each other – all thanks to two members of the student council?


“Nice. All of us are complete.” Nako grinned. “Let’s go to the canteen~”


“One step ahead of you~” Hyewon raced first as Eunbi tried to catch up to them.


The others caught up and were paired up, leaving Chaeyeon and Sakura behind. It was then that Sakura sighed as Chaeyeon’s frown grew bigger. “What is it this time?”


“I have a bone to pick up with you but now’s not the time.” Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. 


Sakura shrugged, saying hi to all the students that were greeting her. She was like a celebrity whereas Chaeyeon looked like her agent. Chaeyeon would walk faster yet Sakura maintained a speed just so they could walk side by side.


“Come on, Jjaeyeon~” Sakura walked backwards to face her and pouted. “Why must you be angry all the time? You don’t do that when the others are around.”


“I could do that if you weren’t famous.” Chaeyeon spoke and went ahead.


Sakura froze a bit. She maintained the pout but her chest felt tingly. Nonetheless, Sakura followed behind her.


+++


Sakura was chilling by the school field, watching various students do their own endeavors. What caught her attention were four students as a teacher hit their hands with a stick. One caught her eyes the most as she saw her smile despite the pain on her hands. 


She sighed. She wondered if she can ever see that smile when it was just the both of them.


“Sakura-chan~”


Sakura looked back and saw HER; the IT girl of their school.


“Arin-chan~” She waved as the latter sat next to her.


Choi Yewon; Arin as the school addresses her. She was the most popular girl in school – just next to Sakura – and she was known for being a part of the student council and a princess because of her extreme kindness and grace. She mostly wore jackets and long sleeves due to her sensitivity to the cold and she delivered a smile that killed her admirers.


“What brought you here?” Arin asked, sitting next to her. “Don’t you have practice?”


“Later. I just got here early.” Sakura spoke and looked at the field again. 


The Suspenderz were done with the punishment. They rubbed their red hands and rubbed their aching backs. They decided to just joke around campus since it was no use going to a finished class. They happened to pass by Arin and Sakura and waved. Chaeyeon saw them and her smiles faded again, causing Sakura to sigh.


“Weird. Chaeyeon never frowns.” Arin mumbled. “She’s the happiest pill in the class.”


She was. But not in front of Sakura.


“Say…can we hang out this weekend?” Arin asked.


“Only on Sunday. I have practice on Saturday.”


Arin agreed, shaking Sakura’s hand. Arin had to go for an important meeting and left. Sakura decided to follow the Suspenderz yet she was greeted by her admirers. She was bombarded with gifts and questions about her relationship with Arin. Sakura answered honestly and got her peace.


Sometimes, being too friendly had a price to pay. For herself, the worst price was something she felt dull about.


+++


“How could I forget?” Chaeyeon chuckled. “You were popular like her. Fans would be swept by your smile alone.”


“I was so dumb and immature to want that.” Sakura mumbled as she scratched her neck. “I didn’t realize that my attempts to truly get the attention of my true crush didn’t work.”


Chaeyeon just nodded. Just then, Chaewon and Minju got to them, panting.


“What’s with you two?” Chaeyeon asked.


“Our batchmates are looking for you. You need…” Chaewon coughed. “…to make a speech.”


Chaeyeon was shocked yet she followed. Sakura was right by her side and as they got back, everyone cheered. Chaeyeon shrugged and got to the stage. The rest of their friends gathered close to the side and listened to her.


Everyone wowed on how Chaeyeon was very professional in speaking, especially when she was just given the theme and was a last minute resort. In Chaeyeon’s case, being in meetings and leading many employees gave her the confidence to speak in front of an audience.


“As expected from her.” Hyewon chuckled. “Chaeyeon used to be so lax but she always topped whenever she attended classes.”


Everyone agreed. Sakura just looked at Chaeyeon, her heart beating towards a dance of admiration. 


How could she not have seen the signs before?


+++


Everyone wowed as Chaeyeon finished a report for two all on her own. She returned to her seat and got cheers from her fellow members, thanking them before she slumped to sleep. Sakura had most of her eyes on her and she was always impressed on how a delinquent can actually be gifted. 


The class went by until it was lunch time. Everyone went outside, except for Sakura and Chaeyeon. Sakura gulped yet she got to sit next to Chaeyeon, observing her sleeping features. She thought Chaeyeon looked like a soft teddy bear.


“What the hell are you doing?”


Sakura mumbled her apologies as Chaeyeon sat up, rubbing her eyes and temples. “Great. My headache just grew worse.”


“Can we talk, Chaeyeon?” Sakura sighed as her attitude was starting to get to her nerves.


Chaeyeon got up to leave. Sakura didn’t give up and followed her until they got to the lobby. 


“Yah, Lee Chaeyeon!” Sakura held her arm. “Woman up and face me!”


Chaeyeon shrugged her hand away as she faced her. “I don’t want to. A delinquent like me cannot talk to Miss Popular.”


“What the hell…” Sakura stopped her. “What did I do wrong, Chaeyeon? Why must you be so pissed at me?”


“Because you are you.” Chaeyeon batted. “You’re the spoiled little playgirl who has everyone groveling on your feet.”


Sakura was silent. Chaeyeon sighed and decided to leave.


“Well, you’re the annoying delinquent who wants everything her way.” Sakura batted. 


Chaeyeon looked back, adding. “Why are we even friends?”


Sakura felt the bile rise . She never thought the happy pill could say something so sour.


“I guess we did Chaewon and Nako favors.” Sakura spoke.


Chaeyeon scoffed and left. Sakura shrugged and left towards the other direction. Just then, she passed by Arin. 


“Sakura-chan~” Arin waved and got closer to her. 


“Arin-chan, can we have a rain check for this Sunday?” Sakura asked. “Our group scheduled for a two-day practice.”


“I was about to tell you that. The student council proposed a two-day meeting this weekend.”


The two nodded and settled the matter quickly. Arin offered her to have dinner with her but Sakura kindly declined. She had to leave early.


She had to leave early because her heart suddenly felt heavy.


+++


Chaeyeon finished her speech and got down the stage. She was greeted by her friends and for a good speech. 


“You did great.” Sakura got to her.


“Thanks.” Chaeyeon smiled.


Sakura wanted to cry. It was the first time she gets to see Chaeyeon smile in front of her. 


“Sakura-chan?”


Chaeyeon looked back to see a familiar girl. It was then that she excused herself to her friends. “Sorry. I need to leave.”


“Why, buddy?” Yena asked. “Did something come up?”


“But we still have the last dance.” Yujin pouted.


“I’m sorry. I really need to go.” Chaeyeon insisted.


The Suspenderz hugged their best buddy. Chaeyeon hugged them back tight, bided her farewell to the rest, and walked away.


For Sakura’s case, she wondered about the person but her smile was very familiar. “Arin-chan?”


She nodded and she had someone with her. The person bowed and Sakura shook her hand. She found the face familiar. “Eh? Binnie-sunbaenim?”


She nodded. Arin even hugged her and said, “She’s my wife.” They showed their engagement rings. “We’re married now.”


“A couple like us?” Yena wondered as Yuri was beside her.


“Glad to see you.” Sakura said as she lets the couples talk.


She looked back and wondered where Chaeyeon was. She got worried and asked her friends.


“She left, Kkura. She had work to do,” said Eunbi.


Sakura thought it was impossible. She ran outside and went around the campus to look for her – from the field to the canteen. Sakura sighed and sat by the lobby again, feeling like she was going to cry.


She didn’t understand. They just talked and were starting to settle everything. But now, she left without saying anything. 


Sakura sniffled and puts her hands on her face, letting her tears wet them. Just then, a hand patted her shoulders and soothed her. Sakura looked and she was greeted a sad smile.


“I…I thought you left…”


“I couldn’t. My conscience couldn’t bear it.” Chaeyeon spoke.


“Please tell me, Jjaeyeon…” Sakura begged. “Why were you always mad at me?”


“I wasn’t mad at you, Kkura. I was mad at myself.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I was mad at myself because I was jealous.”


The cool CEO felt ashamed to confess her feelings. Sakura didn’t care and wanted to listen.


“I was jealous when you were popular and grabbed people’s attention, especially when you were talking to Arin.” Chaeyeon sighed. “I was even this close to calling you a flirt. Seeing you triggered me that you were just a flirt to everyone. I thought why…” She huffed. “…why flirt on anyone when you can do that to me…”


Chaeyeon shuts her eyes. Sakura gulped, feeling guilty to let her feel that way. She reached to cup Chaeyeon’s face, saying. “Jjaeyeon…I never liked anyone like how I like you.”


Chaeyeon looked back at Sakura, seeing her teary. She cussed for saying those words to her a few years back. “I’m sorry about the past. I didn’t mean to…”


“I know. I’m sorry too.” Sakura held Chaeyeon’s face with both hands. “I didn’t realize it until we graduated. We didn’t talk after the confrontation and I…” She slowly hugged her. “…I feel bad knowing that I never understood the one I truly liked.”


Chaeyeon felt Sakura’s head close to her neck, mumbling anything from her apologies to her confession. She hugged Sakura back and felt a tear run down.


Wonyoung and Yujin witnessed the scene and called the rest. They caught up to their hug yet Yena and Yuri persuaded all of them to go back and let Chaeyeon and Sakura have their time alone.


“I want to erase everything. Let’s not know each other and start knowing each other from scratch.” Chaeyeon spoke as she broke the hug to look at Sakura.


Sakura smiled through her tears as Chaeyeon wiped them off. “Okay…”


“Shall we go back and dance?” Chaeyeon asked, lending a hand. 


Sakura nodded and held it tenderly. They walked back to the reunion as they start a new time of being reunited.