Unheard Voices: Part 4 (KkuChaen ft. KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Chaeyeon never liked fame. Despite being in its field because of being a good photographer, she never wanted to see the limelight, the crowds of people, and the grand benefits that come with it. Today was different as she was guested in a show for photography enthusiasts. It would’ve been the usual interviews because she was a loyal guest. 


No, it wouldn’t.


Chaeyeon was called to the stage and sat beside the interviewer. They talked about Chaeyeon’s future projects, her recommendations for equipment, and advice for the aspirants who wanted to hold a camera and capture the moments of their lives.


“For the next segment, we will go deeper, Miss Lee.” The host spoke then asked. “How did the Jijon Clique come to light?”


Chaeyeon grew nervous. It was a year since the incident and most of the time, she wanted to forget it – from the time she stood as a witness to that maniacal laugh that became part of her nightmares. But as familiar women caught her eyes, she gulped and decided to talk about it. People need to be aware, she thought.


“It all started last year. I stood as a witness for something horrifying and I’ve been trying to throw that trash away ever since.” She began, almost shivering. “Trials went on for that incident until I came out to tell the truth, leading to its end as the murderer is now in prison. The victory was there but it was short-lived.”


“How so, Miss Lee?” The host asked again. “Most of our country’s people dubbed you as a heroine for speaking out the truth.”


“With the fame of being a beacon towards truth had its consequence. You may be right about the things you said but it reckoned a bad memory for myself. I lost my freedom, my good fame as a photographer, and slowly, my sanity.”


The audience was silent, even the host cursed herself for asking the question. One of the audiences wanted to file a lawsuit against the show but lovers calmed her down.


“I spent years studying photography to capture every precious moment in life. Yet, I never thought I could capture the horrifying ones.” Chaeyeon spoke again. “For everyone watching, I may be a heroine in your eyes but that battle’s far from over. That same murderer will roam in our streets again and as civilians in this society, we need to be careful. Thank you all for that credit you gave me. Please keep safe, protect yourselves, and never be afraid to speak the truth.”


The break was of great timing as Chaeyeon went backstage. The host chased her and apologized but she was blocked by guards, a fellow photographer, and two prosecutors.


“Don’t force her for the next segment. We’re going home.” Sakura spat. “Force her and we’ll file a lawsuit against your company. Now give us Chaeyeon’s paycheck.”


Seeing the prosecutor’s IDs made the host agree. She scurried to think of another segment as the group left towards their armored limo. Once everyone was inside, it drove towards their home.


By their home, it meant a compound filled with A LOT of security guards and some members of the police department. It wasn’t just refuge for Chaeyeon but for all of them for the past months.


“That guesting was bull, Chae. Why did you even agree to it?”


“It’s part of my job, Kwangbae. I didn’t know that they’d ask about that retrial.” Chaeyeon huffed.


“Chaeyeon, why don’t you take a break again?” Sakura asked her. “All of this might toll your ability to work. We can extend your room so that you can still practice your skills.”


“Kkura…you’ve done enough. I…” Chaeyeon scratched her head. “…I don’t know how to repay you.”


“We’ll be at the front.” Eunbi spoke then pulled Hyewon. “Come on, love.”


Eunbi and Hyewon left the back seats for Chaeyeon and Sakura to talk. They even closed their section for privacy. Chaeyeon transferred on the adjacent seat, facing Sakura.


“Come on, Chaeyeon. I have to do this.” Sakura began. “You’ve helped us in this case plus you could be in danger.”


“But did you really have to call your parents for that?”


Chaeyeon was stressed about her involvement and the death threat she remembered last year. It added when Sakura proposed that she needs protectors for herself and for everyone she’s close with. She was reminded how fragile it was to hear Sakura’s mother deliver amounts of money to pay for more guards and that Sakura’s father called all his men to do the task. Chaeyeon even added two policewomen as her main bodyguards.


“I had to. I couldn’t do it alone.” Sakura defended. “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”


Chaeyeon didn’t want to argue anymore. She just nodded and looked at the window. Sakura sat next to her and reached to hold her hand. “Hey… we’ve been doing this for months.”


“Yeah…and the murderer’s not released yet.”


“Which is why we have to be prepared.” Sakura spoke. “I just don’t want anything bad to happen to you, Chaeyeon.”


Sakura meant every word as her heart pumped. Chaeyeon couldn’t believe her words as her heart joined the pumping brigade. Nonetheless, Chaeyeon looked back at Sakura and held her hand back. “Thank you…for everything.”


Sakura was flattered yet it was alaays a pleasure. Their moment had to stop when they arrived at the compound. They hopped out the limo and went to the main mansion where Sakura’s parents waited. They all greeted with a bow, getting a pair back.


“We watched the show, Chaeyeon-san. The company’s despicable to talk about the incident again.”


“It’s fine, Sara-san.” Chaeyeon reacted towards what Sakura’s mother spoke.


“Make sure to protect everyone.” The father pointed out to his line of security.


“They will, Otousan.” Sakura said. “We’ll be heading to our warehouse now.”


The parents let them be excused as the six went back out, walking towards the said warehouse. It looked shabby yet the interior was clean and sleek. Hyewon opened the door and the two policewomen wowed.


“We’re staying here?”


“You will, Yena. You and Chaewon will stay at you specific quarters.” Eunbi spoke.


The photographers and lawyers were living together right after the trial. For the policewomen, they were called a week before Kihyun’s release to double the protection. Despite their special assignment, Yena and Chaewon still report at the station for their tasks and to give their team a heads-up.


They got inside and went to their quarters. Hyewon and Chaeyeon slumped on their beds.


“We won’t be having work for this time.” Chaeyeon spoke. “All because Sakura wanted to be cautious.”


“Cut her some slack, Chae. She did all of this to protect us; to protect you.” Hyewon added. “Besides, we gained a business proposition.”


“What proposition?”


A knock got to their door as Chaeyeon opened it, showing Sakura. They were told to have dinner and they followed her at the dining table. Chaewon was setting the table as Eunbi and Yena got their food: takeout chicken, pizza, and soda. They sat down, said grace, and ate.


“Kwangbae, back to the talk.” Chaeyeon nudged her away from her eating zone. “What proposition?”


“I’ll spare the details, Chaeyeon. The five of us discussed this and we decided to tell you now.” Eunbi spoke. “We know that this incident with Kim Kihyun has tolled your work. So the proposition is…” She pointed at her and Hyewon. “…you two work for us as photographers for our very own investigation team.”
Chaeyeon almost spits her chicken. Hyewon was calm since she was familiar with the works. Chaeyeon couldn't believe it but she had every right to react.


“I-Investigation team?!”