Love Means Business: Part 3 (KkuChaen ft. 2Kim and KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Chaeyeon could hardly count the days she worked at M Corporate. Her daily routine was between the company and apartment and she always worked hard wherever she was assigned. Some idolized her for her professionalism while the rest envied her because she’s been reassigned and promoted many times.  It was her tenth month now and she’s happy because she was going to be assigned at the research and development department…


…or so she thought.


“What?” Chaeyeon gasped as she read her memo for reassignment. “Production team?!”


Some employees heard her, murmuring from how she was lucky to be treated like that to their scared reactions on how cruel the production department is.


A vixen of a department head shuts them up as her cheeky chief officer was on her tail. The employees bowed at them and returned to their work while Chaeyeon sighed about her next assignment.


“Miss Lee.” The chief officer nudged her. “Miss Kim and I need to talk to you in the office.”


Chaeyeon nodded and followed her two bosses. The department head and her went ahead as the chief officer closed the door. Once the click was heard, the trio breathed before they dropped the formalities. 


“Min, Hiichan…what’s with this?” Chaeyeon waved the memo around. “I was supposed to be transferred to Kwangbae’s department.”


Hitomi hesitated to talk of it. If Chaeyeon knew who’s responsible for the reassignment, it could cost them their best employee of the company. Minju looked at her with a nod, telling her that Chaeyeon had all the right ro know.


“Chaeyeon, it’s – “


Another person came in the office. Because of her position, she had all the rights to meddle inside the offices, to yell at employees for their incompetence, and to reassign the best employees at her department. 


Minju and Hitomi bowed at her yet Chaeyeon didn’t understand. All she knows about the person is that work in the same company and that she still despised her after everything that had happened.


“Jjaeyeon…” She drew closer.


“What do you want, Sakura?” I spat. “And why are…”


It hit Chaeyeon. No wonder the name of the company made sense. She watched Sakura beg to talk to her but Chaeyeon drove her away, adding a sarcastic chuckle. “I can’t believe this…”


“We’re so sorry, Chae…” Minju joined in as she and Hitomi lowered their heads. “We couldn’t tell you before. You’re the best employee in this company. We can’t just let you resign.”


“And even if we want to for your sake, we can’t…” Hitomi gulped. “Our CEO wouldn’t let you.”


Chaeyeon begged through her eyes that they had to talk. The two didn’t mind and went outside. Once Chaeyeon was left with Sakura, she got a hug from the latter. She even felt her tears wet her collared shirt.


Chaeyeon wanted to lash out. Ever since the incident, she never found forgiveness towards Sakura because she wasn’t honest with her. She worked hard to drive herself away and start over but fate had a way of switching the railways and letting their trains meet.


“Why must you torment me, Sakura?” Chaeyeon asked as she remained motionless.


Sakura broke from the hug as her hand held Chaeyeon’s cheek. Even if she was the CEO, she broke down in front of her employee. But it was not just her employee. It was the love of her life, always was and always will.


“I know you never want to forgive me after lying to you but…” Sakura cupped both of Chaeyeon’s cheeks. “...the reassignment was the only way for us to talk over the incident six years ago.”


“Kkura.”


Sakura would’ve wanted to hear that but it sounded like noise. She didn’t let go of her hold, saying. “Please, Jjaeyeon…let’s talk this out.”


“And what?” Chaeyeon raised. “Do you expect us to return? Have decency on yourself. You’re married and you’re a CEO.” She then smiled and bowed. “I’ll accept the reassignment, Sajangnim…but please let me work at peace.”


Chaeyeon excused herself. She had to get away.


“I missed you.”


Chaeyeon froze as she held the doorknob. Her inner conscience was betraying her but what was the point in returning?


“Please don’t…” was all Chaeyeon said as she went out.


Sakura remained in her spot, her heart’s scar became bigger as her tears dropped faster.


Did I really hurt you that much, my love?


Stupid, her conscience spat. She caused her the greatest pain; the last ring in the gates of hell.


Treachery.


+++


Two days. It was two days that Sakura didn’t touch her phone because she didn’t want to get caught in the moment. Even if it was the weekdays, Eunbae decided to pull a stunt through two consecutive dates after their weekend dates. Here they were at a café close to Sakura’s. house, drinking coffee.


She was guilty. She knew Chaeyeon would be so worried about her. All she could reply was that she was in her house making a project.


“Why did you engage this?”


That wasn’t the real question. Sakura had to ask herself to why she agreed to this.


“Come on, Kkura.” Eunbae grinned and held her hand. “We need to be accustomed so we won’t be awkward when we get married – “


“I have a girlfriend, Eunbae. And I love her more than anything.” Sakura hissed, driving her hand away. “Don’t think that we’ll live off happily ever after because it’s not going to happen. Ever.”


Eunbae sighed and nodded. Sakura sipped her coffee and slapped her inner self for agreeing to this. If she really loved Chaeyeon, she would’ve said no.


“I’m sorry, Sakura.”


But that was one thing that kept her going through this lie. Eunbae was just like her. She had her share of loving her grandparents – who actually made Oh Enterprise the company it is – and what they wanted was to see their granddaughter take over the company and get married before they die.


“Hey. I didn’t mean to lash out.” Sakura added. “Let’s just talk about something else.”


Eunbae nodded and talked about one thing that interested them: gaming and their plans of business. They discussed the serious matters and laughed at their funny attempts in building their dreams. Their parents would adore their scene but they could never lie their true feelings. They did it for their grandparents and for their hard work in standing their companies.


Sakura was smiling but it suddenly faded when she saw a familiar person. Seeing the sad face and the figure walking away, she became stiff.


Did Chaeyeon see her?


“Sakura.” Eunbae called her. “You okay?”


Sakura looked back and there was no one outside. She returned to Eunbae, saying. “Nothing.”


Eunbae resumed their talk. Sakura got back to the reality yet her conscience was saying a different thing.


She had a feeling that it was real.


xxx


Two days. It was two days that Sakura didn’t receive any texts from her – let alone see her. Even if it they had a busy schedule with school, Chaeyeon would always to pull a stunt through texting – from the cheery good mornings to the sweet good nights. Here she was in classroom, sitting by her desk as the one next to her was empty.


She was worried. She knew Chaeyeon would never be absent without any valid reason and at the same time, she would always inform her where she would go. All she could do was constantly call her during the vacant periods.


“Kwangbae?” Sakura called the latter who was eating cookies. “Do you know where Chaeyeon is?”


“How am I suppose to know? I could ask you the same question.” 


Sakura gulped as Hyewon’s look became cold. Sakura wanted to ask again bug Hyewon turned away and continued to eat. She tried again and asked her other friends – even her cousin – about Chaeyeon’s whereabouts.


“We haven’t seen her today, let alone the other day.” Yena shared.


“Chaewon?” Sakura looked at the brunette calling someone.


“I can’t contact her.” Chaewon puts her phone down. “Now that you mentioned it, she looked sour after she went to your house.”


Sakura’s eyes went wide after hearing Chaewon’s statement yet it was disrupted by a phone call. Sakura saw the dialler and thanked her friends before returning to her desk. “Jjaeyeon?”


Hey, Kkura. Can you skip class and talk to me?


“Why, Jjaeyeon? Just come to school and we can talk here – “


I want US to talk. Please. This is important.


“Okay. I’ll come to you.”


PD Café.


Chaeyeon hung up and her voice was cold – much to Sakura’s surprise. Nonetheless, she obeyed, got her bag and left the classroom before the next class started. 


PD Café was the nearest café in the university. It was also a special for the couple because they went there on their first date. Sakura saw Chaeyeon by their favorite table and got inside to meet her.


“Hello, Kkura.” Chaeyeon looked up then stood up.


“Jjaeyeon…” Sakura went to hug her. “I was worried sick about you. I’m sorry for last week. I got busy.”


“And sorry if I didn’t order our usual menu.” Chaeyeon spoke as they sat down. “Our talk will be short so I just ordered our favorite drinks.”


Chaeyeon had yoghurt while Sakura had matcha, their favorites. She took a sip and commented about the little box Chaeyeon fiddled for the past minute.


“Jjaeyeon, what’s this?” Sakura asked.


“Oh…it’s for you…but please wait for it until we finished talking.” 


Sakura was sensing something strange about her girlfriend. She maintained her usual expressions but the message of it was demeaning; scary even.


“Jjaeyeon, what’s going on?”


Chaeyeon puts her drink down. She even looked at Sakura reaching to cup her face and spoke her worries. Chaeyeon just lets her do that but her seriousness remained.


“Kkura, it wouldn’t be so hard to be honest with me. We could’ve understood ourselves. Surely the years of us being together taught us that…” Chaeyeon spoke then drank.


“Jjaeyeon…”


“You lied to me about being at your house, making your project. Am I wrong or not?”


Sakura felt her world fall. It goes to show that the person she saw back at the previous date was her.


“Jjaeyeon…I can explain…” Sakura began as she was tearing up. “It was business talk. Dad wanted me to talk to her because we needed to merge our companies. I wanted to text you, I swear.”


“Except you didn’t.” Chaeyeon grew mad. “How can you even sleep at night knowing you lied to me?”


“Jjaeyeon, I’m telling the truth…” Sakura pleaded. “I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you…” Her tears dropped as her hands never left Chaeyeon’s face and hand. “I just don’t want you to be disappointed at me.”


“Jokes on you, Kkura. I’m disappointed AND mad.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I really loved you. I wanted to be with you because you’re the greatest person I have ever known. Just so you know, I wanted to escalate our relationship after we graduate. I even bought us promise rings. I was worried sick about you when you didn’t text or call me for two days…” She fiddled the box again. “…but like an idiot, I got your message and went to your house, only to see you at the café with another woman.”


Chaeyeon thought Sakura was a manipulative wreck. It was like she was choking on her lies as it refuses to speak the truth out. Chaeyeon meant the fact that whatever lapses they have, they can just be honest and talk about it. 


Yet, she found it out the lie herself. What’s worse was that Sakura didn’t do anything against it or made proper ways to amend.


“Kkura, why? Why didn’t you tell me?” Chaeyeon asked. “What the is going on, Kkura?” She almost clenches her drink. “I’m eager to listen to you despite knowing that I’m not good enough for you.”


“D-Don’t say that…” Sakura got to her side and hugged her. “Jjaeyeon, you are all that I want. I love you. I never meant to lie to you. I’m really sorry but – “


It was then that someone pulled Sakura away from her. Sakura was hugged by the taller girl as she glared at Chaeyeon.


“Hands off my fiancée.”


Chaeyeon grew enraged at both of them. Her drink was crumpled as the yoghurt messed her hands and clothes. She looked at Sakura with her tenacious glare despite seeing the latter’s pleading eyes. “Kkura, what’s going on?”


“I’m Oh Eunbae, Miyawaki Sakura’s fiancée.” The taller girl spoke. “Why are you with her?”


“I wasn’t talking to you but fine. I’ll answer.” Chaeyeon raised. “I called her to talk to me about breaking up and she agreed.”


Sakura gasped yet her anger took over, slapping Eunbae’s cheek and cursing at her for interfering and for her change of heart. 


“Yah, Sakura.” Chaeyeon spoke, stopping her from lashing out. “Don’t hit your fiancée like that.”


“Jjaeyeon, please…” Sakura stopped her from walking away. “Wait! P-please, Jjaeyeon…”


Chaeyeon walked away yet Sakura stopped as they got to a crossroad. Chaeyeon wasn’t up for more sugarcoated lies and Sakura knew that. She held her hands and spoke.


She spoke about the company, about its bankruptcy and of her being the heir. She talked about being deceived by her own dad in having a family dinner that turned out to be a talk about arranged marriage and business. She talked about hiding it, fearing that it’ll hurt Chaeyeon and that they’ll break up because of it.


“And where do you think this will lead?” Chaeyeon spat. “Do you think I’ll let this slip? Do you think you could just explain and get away from the damage you caused me? You think I can forgive you just like that?!” 


She grew madder, tossing her ring away. Sakura looked pitiful as she went to get it. She continued to cry and beg her for forgiveness and reconciliation but Chaeyeon was having none of it.


“We’re breaking up either way, Kkura. This is the worst because you kept it and lied to me about it.” Chaeyeon gets her off of herself.


She walked away but Sakura was persistent to beg for forgiveness. She didn’t care if it’ll eat her conscience for the rest of her life. What was important to her was Chaeyeon and she would never want to break up with her.


“Jjaeyeon, don’t do this. Please…” Sakura got in front of her. “…please don’t break up with me. I love you…”


“Then what? Shall I be your concubine?” Chaeyeon released her sarcasm. “I don’t mind if you did it to fulfill your grandparents’ wishes. I just loathed the fact that you put me out of it.”


Chaeyeon joined the waterworks but she was a tough feather. Sakura reached to wipe them away but Chaeyeon didn’t let her. Sakura pulled her for a hug to which she never wanted to let go.


“I’m supposed to be your girlfriend; your potential other half who will always be by your side when the world is against you. But how could you lie to me?” 


“You always have been, my Jjaeyeon.” Sakura sobbed through her chest. “I never wanted you to be secluded for it but it was the only I know to protect you. I-If I told you…” She looked up to hold Chaeyeon’s face. “…y-you wouldn’t look at me the same way again.”


“It would’ve been different if you told me AFTER your said family dinner. We could’ve done something…” Chaeyeon spoke.


She rubbed her temples as tears ran down. Sakura wanted to console her but Chaeyeon lets her go. She pleaded not to touch her, leaving Sakura to obey and cry again.


She’s already hurt. Forcing herself will only hurt her more.


“Let’s break up, Kkura.” Chaeyeon spoke, looking and feeling tired. “You’ve given me a headache with this lie and I may not forgive you if you still insist.” She rubbed her temples again. “I just want to sleep and dream that we never happened for all eternity.”


Chaeyeon walked away and this time, Sakura didn’t follow. She cried as she clutched Chaeyeon’s ring, feeling ashamed, angry, and  apologetic for what she had done. She nodded to herself and walked home when a car was on the side.


“Sakura, I’m so sorry – “


“Shut up. Thanks to your stunt, I lost the love my life.” Sakura scoffed. “Your change of heart disgusted me.”


Eunbae got out and Sakura slapped her again. “You ruined everything. I’ll never forgive you for this. Ever.”


In the end, Sakura walked home. Her friendship with Eunbae went down the drain. She’ll agree to that marriage for her grandparents’ sake but she’ll never be the same again.


Her heart was gone. Chaeyeon had taken it with her.


xxx


Time passed too quickly and it was graduation day. The squad of twelve dominated the honors and most of their parents were proud. After the picture taking with family and friends, they gathered. 


Sakura was the last. She wanted to use this as a chance to talk to Chaeyeon after everything but as she got there, only ten remained.


“Jjaeyeon?” Sakura looked around for her.


The friends looked out of pity and disappointment. Sakura kept on looking yet Chaeyeon was nowhere to be found. They were on stage together so how come she just vanished?


“Kkura. Stop.” Minju spoke. “She left.”


Chaeyeon’s best friends had the disappointed looks while hers had sadness and pity. 


“Where did she go?”


“Don’t bother asking about it.” Chaewon hissed. “Leave her alone, Sakura. As her cousin, I beg you not to bother her ever again.”


Sakura couldn’t blame Chaewon. She deserved all of the hate. It was her fault that Chaeyeon got hurt. 


With that came the torment of not having Chaeyeon by her side. Who knew that this day would be the last  time she’ll see her world, her love…


…her Chaeyeon?