Love Means Business: Part 2 (KkuChaen ft. 2Kim and KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

A sad morning greeted Chaeyeon. For whatever it’s worth, she couldn’t dwell into her tragic past and decided to prepare herself to go to the company. It was the first day of her work and she needed to have a great impression with the other staff and the department heads.

Even if she has a connection with some of the department heads, she had to work hard by herself.

“Good day, Miss Lee.” A small girl greeted her. “Are you ready for your first day?”

Chaeyeon bowed at her. The small girl patted her back and asked her to follow. “It’ll be a nice first day for you, Chaeyeon. You will put to the main departments within the year and learn the ways; two months for each.”

“This is quick, Miss Yabuki – “

“First policy of this company, Chaeyeon. Address your department heads and chief officers by name when it’s just the two or three of you in the premise.”

“Okay, Nako.” Chaeyeon spoke then stopped her. “Damn, you got taller.”

Nako hugged her tight once they got in her office. Chaeyeon hugged back and heard her mumbles. “I miss you.”

“Were six years that long?”

“Of course. I even missed our Wonnie when she trained to be my chief officer for two years. She was just in Busan at the time.”

Chaeyeon was shocked as a tall employee bowed to Nako and was also shocked to see Chaeyeon. She pounced on Chaeyeon like a kit and hugged her like it was the end of the world.

“It’s been six ing years!” She broke then faced Chaeyeon. “Where did the deities put you?”

“New York. Nice to see you again, Wonyoung.”

“Wonyoung-ah, our Chaeyeon will start her first two months working in our department.” Nako pushed both of them. “Come on, let’s go to our station.”

Nako and Wonyoung were in between Chaeyeon and as they entered, the employees bowed at them then murmured when they saw Chaeyeon. Nonetheless, Nako shuts them up and introduced her to the employees. “This is the new member of the accounting and finance department, Lee Chaeyeon. We’ll expect all of you to give her the usual respect and determination she needs to work with us.”

“Also, find the time to guide and teach her with whatever she needs to know.” Wonyoung joined in, pacing towards the flock of employees. “Are we all clear?”

They all nodded. Nako instructs them to return to their cubicles as Wonyoung guided Chaeyeon to her own.

“Day one.” Wonyoung smiled and lets Chaeyeon sit down before she left to her office.

Chaeyeon huffed and was greeted by stacks of papers. She skimmed at some of them and decided to ask someone.

“Good day, new meat. You have any questions?” Her seatmate spoke before she could initiate.

“Yes. We’re making payrolls at the start of the month?” Chaeyeon showed the documents.

“We need to. There are a LOT of employees in this company that we need to start making financial statements and payrolls.” She spoke and pointed at the notes in front. “Those are the salaries. You need to write them up in accordance to each employee and their positions.” She then pointed at the papers. “These need to be finished today.”

Chaeyeon gulped on how many there were. Nonetheless, she flexed her limbs to begin. “By the way, thank you for helping me, sunbaenim.”

“Pleasure.” She lent a hand. “The name’s Tanaka Miku. Call me Mikurin.”

Chaeyeon shook her hand as Miku returned to her cubicle. Chaeyeon returned to focus on her work.

And that point on, she swore to work hard and smart to thrive on in the company. Maybe in this way, she can have the chance to become a better heir of their family company.

LEE MANUFACTURING CORP…I’m coming for you.

+++

“Where’s the update for the gems?”

“I apologize, Sajangnim.” The department bowed with her subordinates. “The group who was assigned to it didn’t finish it. It still has bugs.”

“Alright. I’ll give you another month to finish that and add the upgrades I instructed.” The CEO spoke. “If that’s not done within that deadline, fire that group. We can’t manage employees who can’t do anything to make themselves better.”

The presenters nodded as their demonstration ended. The CEO instructs the subordinates to return to their station, leaving the department head. Once the door closed, the two sat down and faced each other.

“I should be accountable, Sakura. I’m the research and development department head, for God’s sake.”

“I know, Hyewon; your potential and skills, included. It’s your subordinates that I despise.” Sakura spoke. “Also, when will you have your own chief officer?”

“I don’t need one for now. None of my employees are competent. Besides…” Hyewon smirked and scooted a folder. “I already have one in mind.”

Sakura checked the folder and almost dropped it when she saw her picture and her biodata. It made her recall at the time they looked at each other’s eyes and the time she held her hand, wanting her to stay. It went further to that tragic time that they never saw each other again.

“I want her to be my chief officer. I’ll wait for her to gain experience and for her to be assigned to my department – “

“Take Eunbi to be your chief officer. I’m choosing her.” Sakura snapped.

“Do that and she’ll want to resign before the end of the year.” Hyewon snapped back, taking the folder away. “For a CEO and a department head of the production department, you have no class. Have no shame for doing that to her?”

“That was six years ago, Hyewon! I’m guilty and I regretted doing that to her.” Sakura snapped, almost crying. “This is why I want her to be my chief officer; to ask for her forgiveness.”

“Don’t rush it, Sakura. It’ll hurt her even more.” Hyewon spoke as she stood up. “And I know you’d never want to do that to her again.”

Sakura remained as Hyewon left the conference room. Sakura followed suit towards her station, getting greetings from the employees. She got inside her office and decided to cancel all her meetings for today. She slumped on her seat, turning it around as she leaned back to look up. She stopped as a picture frame filled her vision. She also saw the ring next to it and got the two things, looking at them like a child choosing for her toy.

The ring reminded her of the union she despised. The picture frame had the picture of the love of her life; the person who made her whole, and the person that had her heart broken thanks to her actions. Sakura kept the ring and continued to gaze at the picture frame, seeing her love’s smile. Her fingers ran to the glass – just where her cheek was – and her tears dropped.

They finally saw each other after six years. They’re even working in the same building. She had all the power to reassign her or to force her not to resign, just so she can be by her side. But with their past, Hyewon’s point, and her undying love for her, she could never.

She loved her. She loved her since they dated. She loved her since they broke up. She loved and even did her all to look for her. She loved her even if she was married. She loved her now that they work together.

If only she could turn back to clock; back to the time when she had a spring in her soul and a smile in her heart.

+++

“Another zero for my allowance again.” Chaeyeon spoke as she checked her phone.

“Another zero added to your allowance again, that’s for sure.” Chaewon added, eating her ice cream. “We need a bigger apartment, Chae.”

Sakura and Minju listened to the two cousins tackle about real estate. MInju thought Chaewon nagged a lot while Sakura thought Chaeyeon was very humble, driven to her ambitions, and thrifty.

“Ssamu, you already have a big apartment. It’s so big that twelve people can fit.” Minju began. “You guys even bought the place for a cheap price.”

“That’s because Jjaeyeon here is a wonderful interior designer.” Sakura spoke, holding Chaeyeon’s hand for it was one of the most precious things in the world.

Chaewon and Minju chanted about how sweet they were. Chaeyeon couldn’t hold her smile and held back. “Ssamu helped me, love. It’s also helpful for return of investment, in case we want to sell it.”

That was another thing Sakura love; Chaeyeon was very business-oriented and very resourceful with any situation.

“Aigoo…you and your business savvy.” Chaewon added. “You should be ready to rule your company, then?”

Chaeyeon shushes yet het Minju and Sakura were intrigued. Sakura nudged her girlfriend, wanting to have the details.

“It’s just a small company. Nothing special.” Chaeyeon spoke. “I don’t usually share it. I dislike the high profile.”

“It’s okay if you don’t have to tell us, love.” Sakura added.

Chaeyeon was relieved, thanking her girlfriend for her concern. It was all fun and games until Chaeyeon and Chaewon decided to buy lunch for all of them. They did the honors in ordering, leaving Minju and Sakura by their table. Sakura’s phone buzzed as she read a message that made her want to throw it away.

From: Oh Eunbae

Hey, Kkura. I’ve proposed a plan for our date this weekend. We’re going on a vacation in Daegu.

Sakura mentally slapped herself as memories of that ‘family dinner’ came to mind. For a moment, she thought Eunbae didn’t want this betrothal. She was crossed to how the latter changed her mind.

“Bad, Miyawaki Sakura.” Minju spoke, her smiling person turned dark. “What is it this time?”

“It’s her, Min. a café date was fine for the first week but a vacation?!” Sakura flipped out. “That Eunbae suddenly had the balls.”

“We don’t have balls, Kkura.” Minju rolled her eyes. “Anyway, big whoop. Why can’t you just tell her the truth?”

“Tell the truth?” Sakura looked back to see the cousins still ordering before returning to her best friend’s attention. “Are you nuts, Min? I never want to let Chaeyeon down. Not now, not ever.”

“Either way, you’ll still let her down. Lying to her isn’t a good way of loving her, Kkura.”

“I didn’t want it too…but I can’t break my grandparents’ promise.”

Minju didn’t spare advice anymore as the cousins returned. Sakura kept her phone away as Chaeyeon handed her lunch.

“Love, you’re pale.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Are you okay?”

Sakura patted her cheeks and ate her lunch quickly. Chaewon wondered as Minju sighed yet ate their food, nonetheless. Chaeyeon joined them and wiped Sakura’s mouth.

Sakura wasn’t okay. She was pale because her guilt was starting to trip her towards a pit of lies. Minju couldn’t interfere because she can only do so much to help. And there was no way she’d tell Chaewon because she’s a nagger yet an overprotector towards her cousin.

Now, she thought she never deserves a woman like Chaeyeon.

xxx

Chaeyeon was alone in the apartment. Chaewon was on a date with Minju and Sakura was on a vacation trip with her father. She left Sakura messages but today, she didn’t reply to any of them.

“Maybe she’s busy.” Chaeyeon mumbled and called someone. “Kwangbae.”

Hey, hey, Chaeyeon. What made you call?

“I’m bored. Come to the apartment for pizza – “

Chaeyeon wondered as the person hung up. Within ten minutes, a ring was heard. Chaeyeon checked it out and yelped when her caller was already there.

“Jeez, Kang Hyewon. I haven’t ordered yet.” Chaeyeon lets her come inside. “You’re always quick with food.”

“I’m quick with food AND with Eunbi.” Hyewon corrected, placing the pack she carried. “I have leftover pizza and Pepsi.”

“And you still want to order new pizza.” Chaeyeon sighed and dialed delivery service.

Hyewon got to the couch and popped out their favorite show. Chaeyeon joined her and even ate a slice of leftover pizza. Food was food for Hyewon that she sandwiched two slices and ate.

“You’re alone?” Hyewon asked.

“Obviously.” Chaeyeon chuckled. “Chaewon went on a date with Minju and Sakura went on a vacation with her dad.” She nudged Hyewon. “What about you? Aren’t you and Eunbi dating today?”

“We don’t date on weekends, bud. Eunbi goes to her dance classes while I have to develop games as a part-time job.”

“I want a part-time job. Can you up me with yours?” Chaeyeon asked.

“Pft. You have a HUGE back account, my friend. No need for that.” Hyewon spoke. “But if I have customers that also want advice for their houses’ interior design, I can help you with that.”

Chaeyeon thanked and they resumed watching and eating. The delivery came and Hyewon was quick to get the two boxes, getting a fresh and hot slice after consuming her previous meal of leftovers.

“Wait. You said Sakura was taking a vacation?” Hyewon asked as Chaeyeon nodded. “Not to be a meddler or anything but I passed by her house and saw her coming with a woman.”

Chaeyeon almost spits her Pepsi. Hyewon shrugged it off and said, “Aish! Maybe I was blinded.”

Chaeyeon agreed with her, getting a fresh slice. Despite eating peacefully with her best friend, she couldn’t help but wonder about Hyewon’s observations, especially when Sakura hasn’t texted her the whole day.

Screw that . Wrong assumptions are never healthy for the mind.