Love Means Business: Part 1 (KkuChaen ft. 2Kim and KangBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

“Congratulations, Miss Lee. You’re hired.” One of the workers spoke. “Shall we discuss on the salary?”

Lee Chaeyeon had a great smile and bowed her gratitude. She got closer to the panelists and discussed matters with them. Chaeyeon managed to read the contracts, ask the loopholes of it, and even made propositions with the benefits. The panelists were very impressed with her, leaving their trust and decisions at the door of ease. Within the course of ten minutes, everything was settled.

“Thank you, Miss Lee. Your first day starts tomorrow.”

“Thank you too, Mrs. Kim.”

One of the panelists instructed the rest to leave first. Being the department head of human resource, she had the power. Chaeyeon bowed at them; even so close to leaving with them.

“Miss Lee, I request you to stay.”

Chaeyeon watched the two employees leave. She gulped as her hands closed the door and she faced the department.

“You can address me personally, Chae.”

“Why did you make me remain, Minju?”

Minju’s prowess filled the room. Her white business attire intensified her visuals and her black heels clacked the floor. Chaeyeon just stood there and was shocked when Minju suddenly hugged her. “It’s been six years, buddy.”

Chaeyeon remembered those six years. They were thought to be filled with moving on and becoming a better person.

But no. Those were six years of pain, suffering, and stress.

Nonetheless, Chaeyeon nodded and hugged back. “Good to see you, buddy.”

“Always inform me if anything happens, especially if your incompetent seniors will bully you.”

“Okay, Minju…although I can handle myself.”

“Listen to her, cousin.” Another woman came out in her black business attire.

Minju went to greet her and added a kiss on the lips. Chaeyeon looked away when a hug greeted her.

“Chaewon-nim.” Chaeyeon looked back.

“Aish, it’s just us! Address the honorifics when the other employees are around.”

Chaeyeon nodded and hugged back. She broke first as Chaewon and Minju faced them. They were like Yin and Yang; couple that were really compatible ever since their high school years.

“I reckon you’re married.”

“We are, Chae.” Minju said as she and Chaewon showed their rings. “We had our wedding last year.”

“And you didn’t come.” Chaewon huffed. “I insisted Chaeryeong to notify you.”

“I started anew in New York plus I got busy. I couldn’t go.”

The couple nodded and Chaeyeon had to excuse herself despite the couple insisting that they should hang out. The couple didn’t force her and once Chaeyeon left, they sighed.

“I feel bad as her cousin.” Chaewon sighed, sitting on a chair. “She doesn’t deserve to get hurt.”

“Same.” Minju sat next to her and leaned on her wife’s shoulder. “If only I reprimanded her.”

Chaewon held MInju’s hand and kissed it. “Now that she works at this company, we should help her.”

Minju agreed. As much as they had a meeting later, they decided to just settle in the room.

+++

Chaeyeon decided to rest at her small apartment and indulge on movies and pizza as a celebration for being hired. As she got to the lobby, she got a call from someone. “What is it, Kang Hyewon?”

How’s the interview?

“Got the position, buddy.”

Sweet! We get to work together soon.

“You’re supposed to focus there. Programming more games, remember?”

Okay, smarty pants. Duty calls. Let’s have dinner later.

“Pizza at the apartment later.” Chaeyeon spoke and smiled hearing Hyewon cheer. “Get back to work now.”

She hung up and her smile suddenly faded of the sight. She felt worse as she was given a frown and tears.

“J-Jjaeyeon…”

Chaeyeon maintained her composure and walked normally. She bowed at her and just went when her hand was held.

“Jjaeyeon – “

“Excuse me, Miyawaki Sakura.” Chaeyeon got her hand off. “I need to go.”

Chaeyeon ran off as the latter froze, still crying.

+++

The journey back to her apartment became bad. She hung her bag by the jacket rack and sprawled on her bed, screaming at her pillow. She rolled to look at the ceiling and gritted her teeth.

“Even after six years, you still haunt me.”

Chaeyeon looked at her simple apartment; clean interior, minimal furniture, and storages filled with the right essentials. She calmed herself down and called for delivery when she got a notification from her bank account. Her 700$ just had six more zeros in the end.

She could buy the most expensive apartment with that money and have more money to buy anything she wanted. But Chaeyeon was very thrifty and wanted to live simply. For her, a simple apartment can be made grand with tender, love, and care, and that’s what she did with hers.

Back to the cause of her distress, Chaeyeon hissed about those six years.

Those six years she tried to do just to forget her.

+++

“Jjaeyeon~”

Chaeyeon looked back and a Japanese shorthair ran to hug her. Chaeyeon smiled and hugged back.

“You made it. You’re usually late.”

“Because you’re early.”

“What do I do with you, Kkura? Anyway, let’s go.” Chaeyeon lent a hand.

It was held back and they got to their classroom. Most eyes were on them as they adored their prowess and sweetness.

Lee Chaeyeon and Miyawaki Sakura; the most famous couple in PD University. They were a match made in Heaven for they excelled in class and were renowned leaders in their clubs. They were together ever since junior high, letting a solid three years become their beacon.

They got to their classroom and were greeted by their friends. Four classmates waved at them in their way as they got to their seats.

“Why don’t we go together, cousin?”

“Because you and Minju go together, Chaewon.” Chaeyeon spoke.

“Kkura, are we going to play games later?”

“I can’t, Hyewon. I have to meet with my dad.” Sakura spoke then talked to Chaeyeon. “Love, remember our talk last week?”

Chaeyeon nodded. Sakura was nervous yet Chaeyeon held her hand. “I’m sure he wants to bond with you. Don’t worry too much.”

Sakura agreed as her words gave her comfort. The class started off with a lecture about a famous company in America, let alone the world.

LEE MANUFACTURING CORPORATION

The company started in 2000 and were famous for manufacturing computer components – from hard drives to motherboards. They were collaborated with Microsoft, Intel, AMD, and other IT companies in EVERY part of the globe.

“The heir has the same last name as you, love.” Sakura whispered as she pointed out.

Chaewon laughed from her side, leaving Chaeyeon to raise an eyebrow. Nonetheless, she nodded and continued to listen to the lecture.

xxx

After the classes, Sakura ran towards a restaurant. Once she arrived, she fixed herself and got inside. It was unnatural for a student to come inside a five-star restaurant but it was a meeting place her father agreed upon. Once she found the familiar man, she greeted him.

“Greet our fellow guests, Sakura.” He spoke.

Sakura turned to another father-daughter pair and greeted them. The father was obliged to meet her but the daughter waved back. Nonetheless, Sakura sat beside her father.

“This is Mr. Oh and his daughter, Miss Oh Eunbae.” Her father began. “As we know, Mr. Oh is the CEO of OH Enterprise, Miyawaki Corp’s business partner. Eunbae here is his heir.”

“This is your heir, Shouji?” Mr. Oh asked then wowed. “She’s beautiful, just like my Eunbae.”

“She’s smart too, Eunwoo. She’s also my eldest child so being the heir of Miyawaki Corp would be very fit for her.” Shouji spoke as they drank wine.

“Otousan, what are we talking about here?” Sakura asked as she felt that this wasn’t a usual family bond.

Shouji and Eunwoo cleared their throats as Eunbae offered some juice to her. Sakura thanked her and drank.

“Business matters and marriage, Sakura.” Shouji started off. “Miyawaki Corp is going through bankruptcy. Most of our business partners have declined us but not Oh Corporate.”

“We cannot lose a good connection with Miyawaki Corp. Your father’s company and your future company have good assets. Money won’t be an issue for our enterprise have business partners that can wonderfully work with us.” Eunwoo spoke.

“However…that can only last until our reign as CEO’s…” Shouji then lets Sakura’s hand hold Eunbae’s. “…unless our heirs will be unified.”

“Meaning…” Eunbae asked then nudged Eunwoo. “What is this, Dad?”

“One day, you and Sakura will get married.”

Eunbae was shocked. Sakura couldn’t believe it as her inner conscience hated this and her father’s incompetence in keeping their company going. In fact, he was lying to the other father-daughter pair. Miyawaki Corp was actually started by her late grandparents, especially her late grandmother. They wanted Sakura to take over but because she was still too young, the responsibility was passed to her parents. Her mother died in a car accident, leaving her father to take care of the company himself.

But he was very incompetent; at least that’s what her grandfather said. Her mother was the sole heir but with her death, passing it to him was the last resort.

And yet here he was, disgracing his in-laws – her grandparents – and their efforts in keeping the company standing.

“Dad, isn’t this too quick?” Eunbae asked.

“I agree with her,” said Sakura.

“The quicker the better. By the time you graduate college, you won’t be awkward with each other.” Eunwoo spoke.

“Agreed.” Shouji nodded. “Eunbae will be transferring to your school tomorrow and it’s your responsibility to get close to her.”

“Dad, we can just arrange dates every weekend.” Eunbae added. “I like my school.”

“Sounds good.” Eunwoo agreed to his daughter’s wishes. “What do you think, Sakura-chan?”

“I don’t know, Mr. Oh…” Sakura spoke. “It’s not of my utmost interest.”

Shouji was disappointed. Eunwoo and Eunbae didn’t want to force her when Shouji whispered. “Not in front of them or me, Sakura.”

No, she thought again. She has a girlfriend and is very happy with her. She doesn’t need to be arranged to someone she doesn’t love. Then again, she remembered promising her late grandparents to take over the company one she grows up and the fear that her father – her only parent – will disown her if she disagrees. She loved her grandparents so much that she would never dare break their promise.

But this? This was just disappointing.

“I’ll go with Eunbae’s suggestion.” Sakura sighed.

“So, it’s settled.” The fathers stood up and shook hands.

Sakura and Eunbae got up. Eunbae lent a hand and Sakura shakes unenthusiastically. They bowed to their future fathers-in-law and sat down again to eat.

As Sakura read the menu, her conscience cried, releasing her apologies for Chaeyeon. Her mind vowed not to hurt her in every bit for she meant the whole world to her.

And thus. begins her secrecy. Sakura swore to herself that Chaeyeon should never find out.