How Will It Be? : Part 1 (KkuChaen, 2Kim, 2Chae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was a busy day in IZ* University. Students of the automative technology course were having their faces dirty with oil and soot as they were doing their practicum in fixing cars in groups composed of four.


Chaeyeon’s group was almost finished; with Chaewon, Yena, and Nako as part of her team. Chaewon was sticking tape to the last of wires, adding. “Alright! Try it out, Chaeyeon!”


Chaeyeon got the keys and sat on the driver’s seat, revving the vehicle. It lets out the starting sounds yet it would die out, much to the group’s dismay. Chaeyeon whispered her prayers and tried again.


The revving sound was heard. Their teacher happened to pass by and marked their practicum perfect. They also had a bonus for finishing first.


“Good job, Group 2.” The teacher gave a thumbs-up. “You may go home.”


The four thanked her, cheered for the remaining groups, and went out to clean themselves. As they stepped out, they cheered and resisted to hug each other because of how dirty they were. They washed their hands, got their things from their room, and went to the changing room next to the garage.


Yena and Nako cleaned themselves first as Chaewon and Chaeyeon reached for their phones to call for their two best friends.


+++


Students of the fashion design course were also busy for they were on their training in selling their work to their customers. Four of them lined up by the door, seeing their first customers: a conglomerate couple.


“Remember what we rehearsed.” The leader mumbled before greeting them with a bow.


The customers had looks that can kill. One half was nervous while the other got to them and inquired them about their stocks. The wife was the most picky, screening through the articles like she was a bar code scanner. After minutes of choosing, the husband spoke. “We’ll pick those shirts; 500 for each design.”


“5-500?” 


“Watch your stuttering, Minju.” Sakura whispered then grinned. “A total of 1500 shirts, yes?”


She motioned Yuri to do the calculations and called Hitomi to help settle the orders. Sakura and Minju went to their stockroom to get the boxes when their phones rang. They answered them while they unpacked. “Hello?”


Kkura, I got good news!


“You have a successful practicum, right?” Sakura asked. “Congrats~”


You’re a step ahead again, Min.


“Of course. I also have good news for you.” Minju spoke, selecting the box and dragging it out. “Our practicum’s successful too. We sold 1500 shirts today~”


Great! I’ll meet you at your class.


“Not now, Jjaeyeon. We’re not done yet.”


Fine. I’ll wait.


“Good koala.” Minju said as she got two boxes.


They both hung up to their calls and returned to their stall to finish the orders.


+++


Target played inside Chaeyeon’s car as she and Sakura zoom towards their homes. Chaeyeon was talking about cars and how successful she was at her practicum. Sakura just listened until she told Chaeyeon to halt.


“Ahjusshi is selling corndogs. I want one~” Sakura pointed out.


Chaeyeon agreed and parked properly. She and Sakura got out and went inside a park, running towards the corndog stall. Chaeyeon paid for them and they decided to sit by a bench, eating and enjoying some time together.


“Hey, Kkura.” Chaeyeon called. “I wonder why you still continued to settle those orders when Yuri and Hitomi can do it themselves?”


“I have to be there. I’m the leader.” Sakura reasoned. “I have to be accountable of what I do.”


Chaeyeon nodded as Sakura continued about being a good leader while chewing her snack. With all the looking, Chaeyeon thought Sakura was the cutest thing in the world.


She was always cute. From when they were in elementary up to now, Chaeyeon always looked at Sakura that way.


“It’s also like love. You need to be accountable about what you feel towards your significant other.”


Chaeyeon almost spits her snack when Sakura checked if she was alright.


“Got a piece caught up in my throat.” Chaeyeon reasoned after chewing and gulping it down. “Someone’s a poet.”


Sakura pouted as she ate. Chaeyeon used this chance to squeeze her cheeks. Sakura had her payback by giving a playful headlock. After such antics, all they could do was laugh.


For Chaeyeon, these moments were very special. Sakura herself was special to her.


If only they were like that everyday.


+++


Chaewon and Minju stopped by for a visit at the latter’s house. Chaewon greeted Minju’s little sister; even giving her a present. She also greeted Minju’s mother with a little dance and a series of hi-fives to their maid.


“Min, Ssamu should join us for dinner. Imonie prepped up some wraps.”


“Oh~ my favorite – “


“She can’t, Eomma.” Minju pinched her ear. “She and I have something to do. We just came by since Ssamu here wanted to take a shower.”


Minju pulled Chaewon towards her room, leaving her mother and maid to chuckle of their friendship. As they got to the room, Minju reminded Chaewon of what to do – from what towel to use to how long she needed to shower. Chaewon shrugged her off and took off her clothes as she got to the bathroom, leaving Minju picking her clothes and arranging them.


“Lady Minju~” Their maid got up with new clothes.


“Thanks for looking for them, Imonie.” Minju got to her and received the clothes. “I’ll give them to Ssamu.”


The maid excused herself as Minju placed them by the rack next to the bathroom. She got to her wall of pictures, watching each photo to pass the time.


It had pictures of her and Chaewon.


“Hey. I look cute in those pics.”


MInju turned back and saw Chaewon wrapped in a frog-themed towel, causing Minju to flip out. “You used my towel!”


“The koala-themed one was small.” Chaewon pouted. “This one’s bigger and better.”


“I’m the taller one between us, you dingdong! Of course I need a bigger towel!” Minju spat as she lends a hand. “Hand that over!”


Chaewon turned around, doing a playful striptease much to Minju’s dismay. Minju looked away while she whined, only to be fooled by her very deep subconscious for Chaewon was already wearing her undergarments. Minju had her towel tossed into her face as Chaewon quickly puts the new clothes on. 


“You were saying about a surprise?” Chaewon spoke as she puts her shirt on. “What is it?”


Minju presented an envelope. Chaewon sighed, saying. “Aish…not that again.”


“Give it some thought, Ssamu. Your mother wanted you home.” 


“But through a loan my father proposed? I don’t think so.” Chaewon spoke. “Besides, it’s rejected.”


Minju pouted, leaving Chaewon soft enough to open the envelope. And just as expected, it was a reject. “Told you, Min. Now can we just give up on this?”


“Okay…” Minju gave a thumbs-up. “…if you can beat me at thumb wrestling. If I win, we try again.”


Chaewon goes through Minju’s antics and got her loss. Chaewon tickled Minju to distract her but they ended up sprawled on the bed, laughing their hearts out and having a pillow fight with each other.


For Chaewon, these moments were very special. Minju herself was special to her.


If only they were like that everyday.


+++


Chaeyeon could throw a tantrum of the spectacle while she walked to school. Last night, her recently fixed Ducati was scratched by her father’s car – a car to which she actually owned; the same car that she drove when she picked up Sakura. Together with her mother, they got out of their car, arguing. Her mother was sorry for her vehicles yet her dad shrugged it, saying that she has a motorcycle and that she can fix anything.


It’s why you took automotive technology, right?


“.” Chaeyeon mumbled, kicking a can and shooting it at a bin.


Just then, Sakura arrived and got to her side. She was just as mad as her. “Kkura, what did your mom do this time?”


Sakura sighed. Their long friendship made them understand each other to the core. “I could ask the same thing about your dad.”


“He scratched my motorcycle and used my car. I had to fix it again and have to walk to school. Sorry if I can’t pick you up this month.”


“It’s fine. My mom discredited me about the practicum.” Sakura spoke. “It turned out that those conglomerates were her colleagues. She forced them to buy those 1500 shirts from us. Humiliating, she said.”


“Just tell me when’s your next practicum.” Chaeyeon got an arm around her. “I’ll ask Chaeryeong’s friends to buy from you. You know she and her friends loves to shop clothes.”


“Don’t discredit me too – “


“Kkura. I want to help you.” Chaeyeon stopped her, pinching her cheeks. “I’m your best friend. I’m always here to support you.”


Sakura pouted and hugged Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon chuckled and hugged back. 


“I don’t know what I’d do without you.” 


“Me too.” Chaeyeon added and hugged her tighter.


Yuri and Hitomi saw them and waved. Hitomi patted Sakura’s back and she greeted her classmates.


“Lover girl~” Yuri chanted at Sakura. “You and Chaeyeon hugging first thing in the morning.”


“Are you two dating?” Hitomi asked as Yuri joined in suspicion.


Both shook their heads and Sakura added. “She’s my best friend. I see her as a sister.”


Chaeyeon laughed it out until Sakura had to go with the two for their class. Before Sakura left, she made a sign. Chaeyeon did an OK gesture and bids her farewell.


As Sakura looked away, Chaeyeon’s smile faded. She lowered her hand down and went to her class dejectedly.


+++


“Are you on that plan again?” Nako asked. “Why are you two in cahoots with it, anyway?”


“We have to understand that their best friends have a crush on each other. And as the saints of friendship, they’ll initiate the plan together without the latter duo knowing.” Yujin added. 


Chaeyeon and Chaewon sighed as they looked at each other, their minds telepathically talking each other as their ears received Yujin and Nako’s nags about their situation.


The said situation goes beyond the time when their best friends shared secrets about having a crush on someone. The world was proving itself to be small as Sakura and Minju were the ones crushing on each other. They were always bonding in class, they went on dates, and even pulled surprises towards each other. For Chaeyeon, she played the supporting role for them by planning the surprises. For Chaewon, she became the spectator, killing her heart bit by bit.


And thus comes a jump to the present wherein Chaeyeon made designs for a mascot


“Cut it out for once.” Yujin stopped her. “Why are you giving yourself a hassle towards a person who doesn’t even like you back?”


Chaewon and Nako thought Yujin was a savage. Chaeyeon was at the losing end, saying. “Because I love her.”


Nako and Yujin had enough of the and decided to study. Chaeyeon nudged Chaewon and the latter shook her head and joined the duo, leaving her to despair all on her own.


There was truth in Chaeyeon’s words. She promised to always support Sakura, even if it means breaking her own heart.


+++


The night was bright for the moon lighted up the bluish-black sky. In the case of two visuals having dinner at a field, it was a memorable one.


Sakura and Minju were in the same class and with their admiration towards each other, the trial of becoming mutual clicked instantly. They mostly had major dates during weekends and naturally bond at school during weekdays. They’ve done that for a while and for one of them, they were waiting for a perfect moment to call it official.


Sakura used this moment to do just that. 


“Minju.” She held her hand. “I have a surprise for you.”


Sakura got behind her and covered her eyes. Minju chuckled with this antic but as she opened her eyes, she was delighted.


By the bridge was a dancing bird mascot. It was doing really cool moves and Minju reacted to most of them. After the dance, the mascot got a tarpaulin with the words:


Will you be my girlfriend?


Sakura held Minju’s hand and faced her, asking the question again. Minju’s nods were enough for Sakura to cheer and feel happy. She hugged Minju tight and mouthed her gratitude to the mascot. 


The mascot revealed its identity and a smiling Chaeyeon cheered for them silently.


She was Sakura’s best friend; the most best and the most friend she’ll ever have. She had made a commitment when they were kids that no matter what happens, she will always be there for her…


…even if she’s hurting herself.


Sakura and Minju left the venue. Chaeyeon had to go there and clean the stuff up. She was calling someone but with her mascot, she had a hard time holding it, causing it to fall…


…until someone picked it up.


“Hey, Chaeyeon.” Chaewon held her phone. “How’s the surprise?”


“Painful yet successful.” Chaeyeon removed the feathers and got her phone back. “What brought you here?”


“Minju asked to be picked up but I didn’t think she’d go with Sakura at this hour.” Chaewon spoke. “I just wasted gas.”


Chaeyeon nodded and continued to arrange the setting. Chaewon stepped in to help until the organizers arrived. They got the stuff in their van and left the duo.


“So…you have a ride?”


“It was used and busted thanks to my dad, Chaewon.” 


Chaewon returned to her vehicle and tossed an extra helmet. Chaeyeon caught as Chaewon hopped in. “Come on, bud. I’ll take you home.”


Chaeyeon thought of walking home but with Chaewon, she accepted the offer and got on the back.


She may have been hurt tonight but luckily, a friend got her back for once.


+++


The next day, Yuri and Hitomi reacted as Sakura and Minju showed their couple rings at lunch break. The couple just laughed and held hands, leaving their friends to coo.


“That was unexpected but congratulations~” Hitomi clapped.


“Same. I would’ve thought Sakura here had a liking towards Chaeyeon – like, you’ve known each other since you were elementary,” said Yuri.


Minju was utterly curious but Sakura shrugged it off, saying. “How can I? She’s my best friend. I see her more as a sister. Nothing more, nothing less.”


And speaking of the gods, Chaeyeon arrived at the cafeteria. Sakura waved at her and motioned her to join them but Chaeyeon was waving at someone else. They looked to see Chaewon, giving Minju another turn to wave at her, only to be ignored as she shared a hi-five with Chaeyeon while picking out their lunches together.


“Awkward~” Yuri spoke, eyes wide like a glistening marble. 


Hitomi nudged her to shut up. Sakura and Minju laughed it out and decided to eat their lunch. Yuri and Hitomi felt the real tea yet they joined them.


Beneath the laughs were questions to why they were ignored and they’ll never know that it’ll hit them hard in the gut.


+++


Days turned to weeks. Weeks turned to months. Months would’ve turned to years but it was still far from their reach.


Sakura and Minju’s relationship went on and it was a smooth one; a relationship will all love and no hate. However, the progress of each of their friendships were little to none as they were completely ignored by their best friends.


Best friends? Their inner consciences questioned that.


“You okay?” Sakura asked a sad Minju. “You can tell me.”


Minju held her hand back, saying. “Ssamu’s been cold lately.”


“I could say the same to Chaeyeon.” Sakura spoke. “It’s never like her to drive away.”


“Kkura…maybe we need to take a break.” Minju spoke. “Of our relationship, I mean.”


Sakura didn’t bat. She was just as hollow as Minju was. Even if they have each other, it wasn’t going to fully fill the void. And with the negative emotions, they didn’t want it to lead to a bad relationship – and in worst cases, a bad breakup.


Sakura agreed to it, realizing that there wasn’t going to be any date soon.


+++


Chaeyeon was back in the road after finally fixing her Ducati – from a light purple to a blue mint beauty. She always enjoyed the liberty of driving as it was her freedom, her sense or relief, and soon to be an activity with her buddies.


Chaewon caught up in her mint BMW, Yujin with her blue Aprilia, and Nako with her light blue Honda. They raced themselves to school while being cautious about traffic rules. Chaeyeon got to the spot first and the others followed. 


“You beat us again.” Yujin spoke as she got her helmet off. “We should go. We’ll be late for class.”


Chaeyeon had to catch up to them because she had to get her things from her locker. The three nodded and went ahead, even Chaewon motioned her to hurry up. Chaeyeon ran towards her locker when she saw Sakura and her friends, cheering for a successful order from Chaeryeong and her friends.


She ignored them and called her sister, hands scurried on her locker. “Chaeryeong-ah~ I owe you one.”


It was more of Lia’s suggestion, unnie. She loved their designs so much that she bought every article. I also bought some shirts for us and Chaemin.


“Thanks. Just put them on my bed.”


Chaeyeon hung up and finally got her things. She closed her locker, only to be greeted by Sakura.


“Hey, Jjaeyeon.”


Chaeyeon just nodded and excused herself immediately, leaving Sakura on her spot. With every step, Chaeyeon felt hurt. She was hurt when Sakura and Minju were together and was hurt of doing this treatment to her and to herself.


One part of her had enough. She had done so many favors to Sakura. She never batted if her own time was spent with her for nonsensical reasons nor she left her to suffer; to the point that she had gotten hurt. While another part wanted to reconcile with her and to spend their friendship like they used to.


She had no time to overthink. She had a class to get to.


+++


Chaewon was on a bathroom break, washing her hands off of soot and rinsing her face out of frustration. She thought that this break was the only salvation she had from her raging mind…


…but the reason of it was beside her.


“Ssamu…”


Chaewon excused herself when a hand stopped her. Chaewon looked back with her sad eyes as she met the latter’s own.


“Ssamu, why do you ignore me? Did I do something wrong?”


“Why does it concern you? You have Sakura as your main concern, right?” Chaewon spoke. “You shouldn’t worry about me now.”


Chaewon lets herself go and slammed the bathroom shut on her way out. It left Minju to cry inside as her fingers fiddled onto her phone, calling someone. 


+++


Sakura thought it was enough, making her storm out of the classroom while she ignored Minju’s calls. She was running around the campus, looking for Chaeyeon. She even stopped by the garage but the students have left. She even tried to call Chaeyeon but she was ignored.


What nonsense did Chaeyeon think that made her act like an ignorant to Sakura?


Sakura finally saw her at the field but the sight froze her.


She was with Chaewon. They were talking about upgrading their vehicles and they were laughing. And somehow, Sakura was torn with her feelings.


Why does she feel…jealous?


Minju panted and stopped, finally finding Sakura. She was about to complain when she saw the same scene, eyes focused on a smiling Chaewon.


A smile that she had missed so much.


Two were in a relationship but their hearts had gotten confused with the people that understood them more than anyone else.