To The Least I'm Assured (SsamYen)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was just the usual day of practices, photoshoots, recordings, and shoots. Despite the various activities done, there was also a time of breaks for meals, rest, and snacks. For this particular time, our schedule was finished for the day and all of us are waiting at our dining room for our food. The dorky line of our group was assigned to pick up our orders and for us, we were a little worried. 

“Omo~ there’s one worried koala here~”

I was out of my trance as I faced Nako with the tiny smug grin on her face. 

“What?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Denying won’t help your cause.” She spoke as she drank her water. “You’re waiting for a duck.”

“What are you talking about?” I raised again.

To hell you are, Kim Chaewon…

“Aigoo~ someone’s playing the lying game~” Hitomi added. “You’re not waiting for the food. You’re waiting for Yena-unnie~”

“Who’s waiting for me?”

Before Nako opened , I head-locked her and messed her hair. “She’s waiting for the food, unnie.”

“My hair~” Nako got off of my grasp.

“Oh – hahaha…mind me for the delay.” Yena-unnie added as she got a large pack of fried chicken. “Hyewon had a bit of a bite to eat.”

“More like ‘had a large bite to eat.’” Chaeyeon added, placing the drinks on the table. “She ate a whole bucket of chicken while waiting.”

“She didn’t even share.” Yujin pouted, placing the cake and pizza next to the drinks.

“I couldn’t wait any longer. I’m hungry.” Hyewon-unnie said as she placed her bucket with the chicken. “There’s still some left.”

Eunbi-unnie became the peacemaker and assigned Yena-unnie and me to prepare the table. As we got to the kitchen to get the utensils, I could hear Nako and Hitomi’s coos. And I’m pretty sure those weren’t ordinary coos.

“Nako and Hiichan are quite the rowdy duo. Maybe they’ll end up together.” 

“You could say that again, unnie.”

Yena-unnie laughed. That laugh made me heart soft.

Could you say the same thing about us?

“Yena! Chaewon! We’re hungry~” Hyewon-unnie screamed.

“Aish, that woman…” Yena-unnie cussed as she held the plates. “Come on, Ssamu.”

~ why do you have to call me by my nickname with that soothing voice of yours, unnie?

“Stop daydreaming, Chaewon.” Chaeyeon had a smug grin on her cheeky face. “Let’s eat.”

My wonderful trance had to end there as we had to eat. Nonetheless, I got to the dining table, gave the members a plate, and we divided the food. It was evening plus we had diet restrictions to which Eunbi-unnie strictly implemented towards all of us. In my case, rations were fine but I had to sit with Minjoo and Eunbi-unnie to avoid Nako and Hitomi’s teases.
And this was one lucky dinner as I was face to face with Yena-unnie.

Call me a woman who’s been possessed by a different soul but I couldn’t stop plastering short grins as I watch Yena-unnie eat like a fighter. Her cheeks were puffed, her gaze focused, and her lips pouted onto that signature duck beak to which we all love.

To which I love…

“Yena-unnie, I have something to share.” Nako nudged her.

.

“What is it?”

“I probably know who Nako’s referring to.” Chaeyeon added. 

“Who are we talking about?” Yena-unnie asked again after drinking her soda.

“We’re talking about how the food’s delicious.” I bombarded as I ate the whole slice of pizza. “It’s good!”

“Ew~ don’t talk when your mouth is full,” said Sakura-unnie.

“Hey, don’t scold her, unnie.” Yena-unnie said. “Ssamu’s right. This IS delicious.”

I almost choked but it seemed Yena-unnie’s senses were sharper. She poured me another glass of Pepsi and said, “Slow down, Ssamu. Drink it.”

I could choke twice but I gulped my food down and accepted the glass. “Thanks, unnie~”

Reactions from the other girls became present, even the silent Minjoo had her eyes wide like Pepe’s. Yena-unnie and I looked at each other but she does a save when she laughed it out and made us continue our dinner.

I could thank Yena-unnie forever. Those teasing dorks will get a piece of me soon.

+++

“Hug me~”

I was just still like an owl looking at the surroundings. Here was Yena-unnie saying those words while adding her signature pout. I raised an eyebrow but she continued to look cute, only to give me no choice but to let her hug me and boy, did she crush into me and wrapped her arms around my build.

I looked like I didn’t care but my conscience was cheering through the ends of my thoughts.

“Unnie, you can let go now.” I spoke as the hug took so long.

“No~! Let me hug you more~!”

Yes~! You’re gonna give me a heart attack~!

“Unnie, I’m serious!” I whined, trying to push her away.

“I’ll only let go if you’ll let me take you out on a date this weekend.” 

I was shocked. Was I hearing things? “What did you say, unnie?”

“I said…” She lets me go and looked at me in the eye  “…let me take you out on a date this weekend.”

I had a lot of questions in my head. Surely Yena can ask anyone out, even Yuri was a very close bet.

But why me?

“Okay.”

I saw her how happy she was that she hugged me a second time. Only this time, I didn’t react and hugged her back. 

I decided yes because it was my heart saying to confirm my feelings.

+++

“You ready?”

I looked back and there was Yena-unnie. She was wearing a white shirt, black jacket, pants and shoes, and a duck-themed cap and mask. I giggled of her choice in clothing but she was still looking cute.

“I am.” I said and did a twirl. “What do you think?”

I was wearing a white shirt, a black cardigan and skirt, and sandals. Yena-unnie was still silent and I wonder what’s wrong.

“Sorry for blacking out. I…” She spoke. “You look really great, Ssamu.”

I just smiled but my heart was beating fast. Nonetheless, she reached her hand and I held it. We were going down the stairs like a couple that Eunbi-unnie saw us and she smirked.

“Have fun, you two. Be here by ten.”

We both nodded and bid our farewell. As we got out of the dorm, it became a little chilly. It turns out that this outfit didn’t really fit the weather.

I wondered as something was wrapped around me. I looked to my side and Yena was only on her shirt. 

“There. Now you won’t get cold.” Yena-unnie grinned. “Shall we go?”

I nodded. This was going to be one heck of a date.

+++

For this date, Yena-unnie decided we go on a little cruise within the Han River and eat at a restaurant she decided. I didn’t mind of rebutting against her decisions as I was enjoying this wonderful evening of walking, cruising, and having dinner with the one I liked.

Is it really like? Maybe it was really it. Maybe the adoration wasn’t a secret – even the likes of Nako, Chaeyeon, Hitomi, and Eunbi-unnie know. Maybe this was really my true feeling towards Yena-unnie.

I had to scratch that and think about asking an assurance later. We were now inside a nice restaurant and I was even shocked that Yena-unnie actually reserved this. Nonetheless, we got to our table and had a bottle of champagne as a start.

“Unnie, how did you even get to reserve this?” I asked her.

“I had my ways, Ssamu.” Yena-unnie said. “Anyway, would you like to order something or you want to try thee dish of the day?”

“We should go with the latter.”

Yena-unnie called for the waiter and the orders were made instantly, even the food was delivered instantly: two servings of steak and potatoes with vegetable salad.

We dug in and the food was amazing. Kudos to Yena-unnie for this choice and for  this date.

With that, I got back to my senses and thought about asking her about this. Because even if I realized my feelings towards her, will she feel the same way?

“Unnie?”

She looked at me like she was caught red-handed for eating some salad. It was a cute sight but she regained her composure. “Yes, Ssamu?”

“Why did you ask me out?” 

“Well…” Yena-unnie stopped eating and looked at me. “…most of the members went to their homes for a little vacation, even Yuri went home to Busan. There's Eunbi-unnie but she didn't want to. So...”

I nodded and resumed eating. I had my hopes too high. 

“It’s mostly because I want to go out on a date with you, Ssamu.” She added, making me stop. “And…”

“And what, unnie?”

Yena-unnie looked at me and she looked shy. For some reason, I felt a bit hopeful for this moment. “I…”

But my conscience for interrupting it. “Nevermind. I have something to ask you.” 

This was nerve-racking. But if I back out now, will I ever assure this feeling again?

Here goes nothing…

“Do you like me?” “I like you.”

It was like time froze on us. Despite the simultaneous speaking, I heard it clearly. I would’ve wanted it and felt happy instantly…

…but why was I still unassured?

“Unnie…”

“I like you, Ssamu. I really do.” Yena-unnie started. “I loved it when we hugged and held hands. When we were assigned to get the food for our dinner, I made sure to order a spicy dip since it was your favorite. When we had that dinner, I may have eaten like a fighter but I always loved it when you smiled and looked at me. I made sure to give you a drink in cased you choked and I’ve been wanting to take you out on a date.”

I couldn’t believe it. Here I was trying to get the assurance without realizing that I had the assurance from the very start.

“Unnie…I…” It was about time I became honest. “I’ve been waiting for that answer…”

Her eyes gleamed. Mine would be gleaming too. This has gotta be the best date ever.

“Really?”

“Really.” I answered her. “The members are gonna tease me again.”

“Well, they’re gonna tease the both of us.” Yena-unnie added as she held my hand. “But if they do that to hurt you, I’ll kick their .”

I laughed of that and she laughed with me. Despite this mix-up of a date, it was the most wonderful one.

To the least, I’m assured…