The Tricks of Love (MinYul)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Minju would’ve slept well but she was getting random calls from the same person. She heard her nags and her reminders, then she would feel pissed since the person was hanging up. Nonetheless, she had a big smile on her face while looking at her contacts with that lovely name.


Jo Yuri.


It was a name to be reckoned with as it belonged to the special person that made her life wonderful. From being kids who played a lot of hopscotch to being students in the same school, their lives revolved in a love which the public would never expect. They were from different classes before, complete strangers that had no idea of each other’s existence. But when they crossed paths one time, fate had a way of intervening through Minju doing the first move to an oblivious Yuri.


And as they’ll face the future days, their relationship blossomed like the Sakura tree in spring.


Minju returned to her sleep and dreamed of Yuri.


+++


“Min~”


Minju’s smiles gained more vibrancy as Yuri ran towards her with a big hug. She also wanted to kiss her but Yuri had pulled her so that they’ll go to their classroom together.


Unlike the first year of high school, they were now in the same class. They also met four new classmates – Choi Yena, Honda Hitomi, Yabuki Nako, and Ahn Yujin – to which they were obliged to meet. But in the case of Minju, she wanted to spend her school life like how it used to be.


For her, being with Yuri was more than enough.


“Min, can I borrow your math homework?”


Minju would be whipped to do so – even as close to letting her copy. But sometimes, Minju was sly, saying. “How about…no?”


Yuri whined and continued to plead. Minju playfully turned a deaf ear as she got out. Yuri went to chase her until they got to an empty classroom. 


“Min…enough…” Yuri panted and got to the teacher’s table, shutting her eyes. “Can I please borrow your homework?”


Minju got closer, leaving Yuri to look up at her. The proximity sent butterflies in Minju’s stomach but she nodded. Yuri’s smile was back and so was Minju cheeky self. “But you have to repay me.”


“Yeah…” Yuri nodded. “…what should I do – “


Minju held Yuri’s chin and sealed her lips with a kiss. Yuri’s eyes went wide, her face turned red, and her hands landed on Minju’s waist as she slowly closes her eyes and kisses Minju back.


They broke slowly and simultaneously as both of them had flushed faces and smiles. Yuri got Minju’s math notebook from her hand, adding. “You didn’t have to do that.”


“We both wanted to.” Minju added then held her hand. “Let’s go.”


+++


Another midnight comes to Minju being awake and answering Yuri’s calls. She was tired, mumbling her answers about Yuri’s reminders on what to bring in university.


Yuri was right, Minju thought. They were going to be in college later. Minju returned to laying down but her she was locking gazes with her phone.


It had a picture of her and Yuri during their high school graduation. Minju reminded the times they mostly bickered in public but always became affectionate when it was just them. Those memories were wonderful, mainly because Yuri was in them.


And as she turns her phone off and drift to sleep, Minju was excited to start another phase of life with her.


+++


“Say cheese!” Minju spoke, taking a picture of Yujin and Nako.


David and Goliath smiles before Nako pinched Yujin’s waist about being dishonest with the gifts she had. The taller whined and swore that it was all for her.


“I hope for everyone.” Minju mumbled then took a picture.


When her lens focused on a walking hamster, Minju quickly switched to taking a video. Her smile became visible as she walked closer to her. “Good morning, Yul.”


“Good morning, Min.” Yuri smiled then posed. “Take a picture now.”


“Done just a while ago.” Minju puts her camera on her bag and went ahead.


Yuri huffed and tackled the frog for a dose of bickering. Yujin and Nako looked at them go ahead and shrugged.


+++


“Cheers!”


Minju and Yuri, together with Nako and Hitomi, clunked their glasses of champagne together and drank.


They were in a diner, celebrating their coming of age and their college graduation. They had milkshakes and cake, had cosmetics as gifts to each other, and champagne to spice up the evening.


“So with our college life being over…” Yuri spoke. “…what happens now?”


“I could work for Starbucks. I have good customer service.” Hitomi raised.


“I’ll have a full-time gig being a mechanic.” Nako shared then pointed. “What about you two? What’s in it for MinYul?”


Yuri blushed as NakoTomi cooed. Minju held her hand, saying. “We’ll run a business together.”


“Maybe for you, Min.” Yuri chuckled. “You can’t have a music graduate run with a business savvy like you.”


“B-But-“ 


Yuri pinched Minju’s cheek, shutting her up. Nako and Hitomi cooed again. “Aigoo…LQ~”


Minju and Yuri were flushed yet the four of them laughed and spent the time well.


+++


“Yul! I need more eggs!”


“Give me a break, Min!” Yuri cussed as she turned off the stove. “We’re out of eggs!”


Minju cussed at the one piece of egg for breakfast. Yuri scoffed as she washed the pan.


The days after their college life took a roll downhill. Minju couldn’t properly gain customers on her business as much as Yuri couldn’t land a proper gig at any establishment. They were a struggling pair, living in a small apartment without having a constantly decent meal everyday.


“Come on, Min. Just eat the goddamn egg.” Yuri huffed and puts on her coat. “You’ll have to wash your dishes yourself. I have to go.”


“This early?”


“Yes…because I’m offered a gig to which I must get in.” Yuri spoke before leaving.


The door slammed shut and Minju sighed, hands ruffling her hair, feeling guilty of Yuri for complaining about the food despite the effort done and the chance of eating given to her. Minju ate the egg, feeling teary.


She felt sorry for ruining her chance at a better business. But mostly, she was sorry for drifting apart from Yuri.


+++


Yuri was relieved upon going home. She was accepted to have a full-time gig as a singer at a five-star restaurant, got to perform to which the customers loved, and got a decent salary every week. She opened the door to their small apartment when she saw Minju in front of her and she was almost scared.


“Sorry, love…” Minju hugged her. “I gave you quite a fright.”


“You could say that again.” Yuri mumbled and noticed a candle behind her. “What’s with that?”


“Well…business was well and I decided that we should have a nice meal for once.” Minju presented their dining table. 


Yuri saw that it was decorated. Their dinner for today were steak and potatoes with a simple cake for dessert. Yuri wowed and was pushed by Minju towards it. Minju lets Yuri seat first before she got to her own. With Yuri’s hunger, they ate immediately.


“This is good.” Yuri spoke. “Did you cook this?”


“Just bought them from CVS. Us being practical and all.” Minju answered. “How’s the gig?”


“Great. How about your business?”


“Great as well.” Minju gleamed. “All of the products were sold out.”


Yuri gave a thumbs-up and they resumed eating again. Their dinner was really silent and neither of them didn’t like it. It was then Minju wanted to say something when –


“I’m sorry, Min.”


Minju almost spits her steak but she paid attention, asking. “What are you sorry about, Yul?”


“For not spending time with you.”


Yuri explained that they’ve been distant ever since they had work. Even if their relationship wasn’t affected, it could be in an indirect way for they’ve drifted apart. Yuri realized it just now – especially when she left Minju to eat breakfast alone.


Minju went to hug her. Yuri sniffled and Minju hugged her tighter. “Hey. It’s okay. I know you were busy for us. I’m sorry too…” Minju patted her back. “…I sorry for not spending time with you too.”


Yuri hugged her back with twice the passion. Minju kissed her head and continued to comfort Yuri until she stopped crying. Minju broke from the hug, leaving Yuri to whine, wanting to be hugged more.


But what she didn’t expect was seeing Minju hold a ring. Yuri didn’t want to expect but then, Minju had her time to speak.


“I know this is too sudden but with the times we had, I had to say it now, Yul. We’ve been together for eleven years, we had our ups and downs but we never broke up nor left each other. And I know that we’re still trying to get on our feet but I always want to do it with you…so Jo Yuri…” Minju presented the ring. “…will you accept this ring and be my woman for the rest of my life?”


“Min…” Yuri teared up but she was smiling. “YES!”


Yuri said it again and again, making Minju cry as she wore the ring on Yuri’s finger. They ended up kissing and hugging each other as the night went by.


Who knew that the tricks of love lead to a life together?