Reunited Angels: Part 7 (2Kim)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was another weekend in Leé Café. Yujin was off and ten of the twelve friends remained to go to college and to work. For today, Minju had a wire cutter in her hand. The locks might weigh the gates down so she had to cut them off.


“Hey, hey!” Chaewon stopped her. “Don’t do that, Min.”


“What?! Chaeyeon said to cut them.”


“Then I’ll cut them. You can cut the onions instead.” Chaewon got the wire cutters. “This is strenuous work so please don’t do this. You might get tired.”


“Listen to Ssamu, Min!” Chaeyeon yelled through the door. 


Minju huffed and went inside, washing her hands and sitting down to do the task. With all the chopping, Minju was tearing up. Chaewon returned with a box of broken locks on hand. Seeing Minju’s state made her drop the box and light a candle near her.


“The smoke from the candle counterattacks the essence of onion. And put this on.” Chaewon handed her shades. “That should protect your eyes.”


Before Minju puts on the shades, Chaewon got her hanky and wiped Minju’s tears. Minju gulped, eyes wide and heart pounding quickly. She looked back at Chaewon after she puts on her shades, returning to her supposedly task while she returned to her own. The rest caught Minju in action, smiling of the fact that there was a drop of truth in the sea of denial. 


For the two, they hoped that the said drop of truth would grow into a sea of love.


+++ 


Chaewon and Minju walked together after an errand of buying ingredients. Minju carried the bags of condiments whereas Chaewon carried a box full of vegetables. Minju went ahead when Chaewon followed.


“Place the bags on top of the box.” Chaewon spoke, seeing Minju growing tired.


“It’s alright, Ssamu. I can manage.” Minju spoke back. “We’re both employees making a living so we need to have contributions.”


“Even if it’s hard?”


Minju nodded. “It’s also fun. It makes me alive.”


Chaewon froze of Minju’s words. Minju realized it and looked back. Minju inched closer, looking onto Chaewon’s eyes.


“Hey. Don’t give me that look.”


“Can I not look like this towards the person I am always concerned about?”


Both of them reacted of those words. Chaewon even stuttered and continued to talk, with Minju on her tail. “S-Sorry…”


“Y-You almost caught me by surprise.” Minju joined her, fanning her flushed face. 


Chaewon nodded, lowering her head to see Minju’s loose shoelace. She gently placed the box on the ground and tied Minju’s shoelaces for her. Minju almost backed away but Chaewon held her ankles in place and continued to tie them.


Minju was flushed again. Chaewon’s small actions gave her big feelings of love all over again.


“Don’t be hesitant…as if I don’t do this all the time.” Chaewon spoke as she tightened the knot. “Tie your shoes well or you will trip and fall.”


“But I have you to hold me when I fall, right?”


Both reacted again. It even made Chaewon grab the box again and felt her back crack. “Do you want me to fall with you?”


“Why not?” Minju pouted and followed her again. “It’ll be less embarrassing plus we can get up together.”


“Then none of us should fall because both of us will get hurt.”


Minju froze but Chaewon was embarrassed again and continued to walk. She remembered all the wonderful moments they had despite their denial, fear, and regret.


“Min? Are you okay?” Chaewon asked as she looked back.


“I feel a bit unwell again.”


“Then we’ll both go to your house first.”


“What about the ingredients?”


Chaewon told her to place them on top of boxes and this time, Minju obeyed. They made their destination back to Minju’s house first.


“Ssamu, you could’ve gone ahead.” 


“I insist in taking you home, Min.” Chaewon added, the box hugged to her small frame.


Minju didn’t decline and they walked towards the black gate, all the while sparing her thanks. Chaewon nodded and watched Minju go inside when she noticed something.


“Hey. That necklace and clip…” Chaewon spoke. 


Minju chuckled and held them. “I  don’t know how long I’ve been wearing. It’s been a part of me.”


Chaewon’s conscience felt happy. Those were mere objects but they were symbols that kept their strength in their destiny.


“They look lovely on you.” Chaewon commented. “They’re like miracles.”


“Should I take them off?”


“Why would you take a miracle off?” Chaewon asked.


“No reason.”


“Then don’t…” Chaewon spoke. “…because I want them to lead you back.”


Minju wondered but Chaewon bided goodbye immediately. Despite her aching arms in carrying the stuff, she got to the restaurant and placed them on the storage area. Chaewon stretched and went back.


“You took Minju home first?” Chaeyeon asked.


Chaewon nodded. She got her stuff and bided Chaeyeon goodbye. As she walked, her mind flooded with moments with Minju as her face showed various emotions.


The future days after the departure of their tallest friends made her draw closer to Minju again. Although the chances were slim, Chaewon continued to cling onto her faith of reuniting with an angel.


Her angel…


Whether it was the same Minju or a different one, it didn’t matter to Chaewon, just as it didn’t matter if Minju would stay away or not. 


All she wanted was for Minju to be with her in the end.


+++


“Yosh!” Minju cheered as she faced their department’s bulletin board showing the results of the exams.


“Congratulations.” 


“Aish, Ssamu~” Minju whined. “You scared me again.”


“Sorry.” Chaewon patted her head and looked at the results. “Holy – you’re in first place! We should celebrate!”


“There’s more.” Minju held her hand and they went and walked together. “Most of us are doing well. Eun’s top at Law, Kwangbae with Broadcasting, and Nako and Hiichan with Business.”


“Don’t forget us.” Chaewon added. “Yen, Yul, and I nailed our performance. We topped in our department.”


Minju pulled Chaewon towards the Fine Arts department and they checked the bulletin board. Minju was making way for herself to check the names, her finger tracing the list until she found the names.


Choi Yena, Jo Yuri, and –


Minju found her name and connected with another finger. She looked to her left and saw Chaewon pointing at her own name. Like a invisible thread, it was shortened and it linked the two closer, just as they’re destined to.


Minju backed away, rambling her apologies. Chaewon tried to calm her down but Minju walked away. Chaewon sighed and followed her at a safe distance. It was like a goose chase outside the university and it stopped by a crossing.


“Min…” Chaewon huffed as she got to her side. “Hey…what’s wrong?”


“I’m sorry.” Minju looked away. “I didn’t mean to – “


“You didn’t do anything wrong.” Chaewon made her look at her.


Chaewon’s heart became heavy. Minju had just given her the look: watery eyes and quivering lips.


“Ssa-Ssamu…” Minju spoke. “Is it painful to let denial control your heart?”


“It’s more painful to get attacked by it.” Chaewon spoke.


“Were our feelings for each other bad?”


“Of course not….even if it gave us pain.” Chaewon spoke then added a pat on her back. “You know what? These emotions mixed and tolled our systems. You should go home and rest, Min.”


“And you?” Minju looked back before crossing the road.


“You go ahead, Min.”


Minju felt empty. She would deny Chaewon’s offers to take her home yet she was fine of Chaewon insisting. But now that Chaewon didn’t insist, it made her heart empty.


Again.


Minju nodded and crossed when everything happened in a flash. A red sedan was speeding towards her and she would face another phase of death…


…but not this time.


She felt being pulled back and towards an embrace. She looked to see Chaewon’s distressed and the sedan speeding away out of her supposed harm. Her heart pounded of the contact as she heard Chaewon’s mutters.


“I love you.” Chaewon mumbled like she had a panic attack. “I’m not letting you get hurt! Not again!”


Minju’s tears fell. Her arms hugged Chaewon back when Chaewon broke off, realizing what she had done and said.


“Yah, Kim Minju!” Chaewon spat. “I swear to ing Hananim, if you got in harm again, I – “


Minju was sniffling. Chaewon would’ve gotten mad but seeing Minju made her stop and walk away instead. 


“Come on, Min.” Chaewon held her hand. “I’m taking you home.”


Minju nodded, wiped her tears away, and followed her. Their steps were slow and lasted until evening. There were times Chaewon and Minju walked ahead and others, them walking side by side. Minju mostly walked in front whereas Chaewon was behind, both having different thoughts.


Minju cried in silence. Chaewon worried in silence.


They got to the same gate and Chaewon had her chance to speak before Minju could go inside.


“Hey. Don’t cry.” Chaewon wiped them away. “I’m sorry for getting angry at you. You must be startled.”


Minju nodded lightly yet her tears continued to fall. Chaewon decided to give her hanky.


“Sorry again. Wiping them for you might distress you more.” Chaewon sighed. “Go inside now. You should rest.”


Chaewon’s steps became heavy as she walked away, just like her heart. The moment when Minju almost got harmed became her breaking point. Today would be the end of her pursuit and the start of another.


She will end in pursuing Minju’s heart and start in breaking her promise to Yujin, to Minju’s parents, to her friends…


…and to herself.


“My Angel…”


Chaewon froze, her heartbeat growing louder and her eyes getting wetter. 


That was their call to each other during Minju’s birthday; a promise Chaewon would’ve given and kept as a gift but had to break after the accident. She couldn’t believe she was hearing it from her.
Chaewon couldn’t believe it. It was something that she wanted to hear for so long.


“I…I…” Minju ended up sobbing. “I love you…”


Chaewon’s tears dropped as she slowly looked back. Those three words became another breaking point but it lead towards happiness and to her question to destiny.


Why now?


“Min…” Chaewon’s tears dropped endlessly as she rushed back, hugging Minju close to her.


Upon contact, Minju hugged back with twice the passion and cried twice the tears. Chaewon felt the weight of her heart lessen and was replaced with relief and eternal happiness.


“I’m sorry…” Minju crumpled her hands on Chaewon’s back as if she was going to drift away. “I’m sorry that I was afraid. I had hurt you and made you wait…”


“I’m sorry too. I wasn’t there for you when you wanted me by your side…” Chaewon joined her, sniffling. “I’m sorry that I was afraid. I gave you fear and pain…”


“I love you, Ssamu…don’t leave me again.”


Chaewon ended up smiling despite Minju’s pleas. The hug became gentler yet they had no plans of letting go, even if they’ll be out on the cold.


“I love you too, Min…” Chaewon added while looking up. “I’m your Angel. I’ll always be here.”


They broke their hug, leaning foreheads against each other, and smiling their tears away. Their denial, fear, pain, and regret were tossed away as they finally accept each other’s acceptance, courage, love, and happiness.


They were angels that finally reunited.


+++


It was Chuseok. Leé Café was reserved by twelve friends for a celebratory party. It also turned out that their twin towers returned and were permanently staying, hence the whole-day celebration. 


For now, nine out of twelve were present, enjoying food and company. Most of them were paired up and a cherry blossom was left to become the ninth wheel until another friend came, bread dangling on .


“Party time!” She yelled, dropping her bread.


“Ew! Pick that up, Kwangbae!” Eunbi huffed.


“The party’s not a party without Wonyoung and Yujin.” Yena added. “Where are they? I thought you picked them up from the airport!”


“Tell me again why you two got back together.” Nako spoke at a face-palming Sakura.


“We’re here!” Wonyoung and Yujin towered Hyewon as their long arms waved.


Everyone cheered as the three got to their seats. The positions were well as they were seated with their significant others.


“What a heartwarming sight. All of us are complete,” said Chaeyeon.


“I would like to propose a toast.” Yena quacked as they all raised their glasses. “For Chuseok, for Wonyoung and Yujin’s return, and most important of all, 2Kim as an official couple!”


“Make that two new official couples.” Wonyoung spoke as she and Yujin showed their couple rings.


“Oh, ! Four celebrations! And for Annyeongz being an official couple!” Yena quacked. “Cheers!”


“Cheers!” They clunked their glasses and drank.


“Hey, Min.” Yujin called. “You better not become a coward again. I’m going to take the title now.”


“Yah. You have courage but no intelligence.” Hitomi dissed, causing others to laugh. “You need both because your girlfriend has them too.”


Yujin pouted yet Wonyoung calmed her down with a kiss on the cheek, causing the others to coo.


“Alright! Present time!” Yuri clapped.


As the leader pair, Chaeyeon and Eunbi went first. It was followed by Hyewon anr Sakura, Yena and Yuri, Nako and Hitomi, then Wonyoung and Yujin.


“Last but certainly not the least, let’s have Chaewon and Minju~”


They cheered for 2Kim to do the honors. They faced each other and held hands.


“I’ll go first.” Chaewon got a ribbon and tied it around like a headband then adding aegyo. “I’m the present!”


The men of the pairs chanted, throwing popcorn at Chaewon. Nonetheless, Minju had her turn and got something in her pocket…


…until she posed and said, “I’m also the present!”


Their significant others did a chant together. “Minju ga ddo~!!”


“Come on, guys. We already have our gifts for each other.” Chaewon pointed at her clip and necklace.


Minju got closer and pointed at her own, leaving the couple to do a cute pose that made everyone ogle.


“Technically, Minju’s grandparents gave the necklaces,” said Hyewon.


“Boo~ control your girl, Kkura,” said Chaeyeon.


“Eat.” Sakura fed Hyewon cake.


Everyone joined in and enjoyed more of their celebration together, as friend and as a bundle of couples.


For Chaewon and Minju, reunion with friends and with each other were the greatest blessings they had. They got back together as if they were fated to be together. It was a love within their youth that started it all and the love in their young adulthood became its continuation.


Most of all, they were reunited angels that fell in love today, tomorrow…


...and always.