Peking Duck: Part 1 (YenBi)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

It was a usual day in one of the houses in Seoul, just where a female couple lived. The husband of the two was preparing herself for work while watching TV. For the wife, she was busy cooking breakfast.


Lee Eunbi was busy chopping vegetables while her eyes exchanged looks between the cutting board and the oven. Despite having a timer for whatever’s roasting inside the oven, Eunbi didn’t want to make room for failure. Cooking was her best skill plus she wanted to serve her husband the best breakfast. 


“Love, let me help you.”


“It’s okay, love.” Eunbi stopped her as the ding was heard.


“Come on, love. At least let me get the duck out of the oven.”


“Lee Chaeyeon. You better return to your seat. I also don’t want your coat to be ruined with duck fat.” 


Chaeyeon nodded and sat down, watching the news. Eunbi got the duck out of the oven, sliced some of it, placing it on a plate garnished with oranges and plum sauce, and served both plates on the table. She even opened the window to let the fresh air in before returning to the dining table.


“Here you go, love.” Eunbi served her a plate with a bigger share.


“Thanks, love.” Chaeyeon grinned and wowed. “You made Peking duck!”


“Your all-time favorite.” Eunbi winked.


“More like our all-time favorite...” Chaeyeon emphasized before having a taste.


Chaeyeon loved it. Eunbi loved seeing Chaeyeon smile and of her cooking. They both indulged on their breakfast until Chaeyeon looked at the clock. She hastily ate her breakfast and got her suitcase, muffling her goodbye to Eunbi.


“Be careful.” Eunbi reminded her before she left.


Eunbi was then left with being alone. Despite the TV’s audio, Eunbi also felt the silence linger around and she knew it will continue for a while. Chaeyeon will be out of town for two weeks for an international conference, leaving her alone in the house.


More like our all-time favorite…


Those words really hit her, making her loneliness worse. She had to distract herself by eating her breakfast, cleaning the table, washing the dishes, and storing the rest of the Peking duck for future recipes. 


But as she got the dish, a quack was heard. Eunbi wondered where the voice was from and it led her towards the dish she was holding. Her wonder turned into shock as the Peking duck gained life and limbs. Not only that, the gaps that were made because of the eaten portions regenerated. Eunbi dropped the dish, worsening the shock and causing the duck to quack as if it was crying.


Eunbi rubbed her eyes to make sure it was real. She slowly drew closer to the duck and held it, causing the animal to stop its sad quacks. Its head looked up at Eunbi and it quacked happily, causing Eunbi to adore and hug the animal close to her.


Finally. It was the start of a less lonely day.


+++


During the time, Eunbi took care of the duck like it was her own. It was a live Peking Duck but it gained a body and pairs of hands and feet, making it into a humanoid Peking duck. It would waddle around the house and follow Eunbi like she was the mom and whenever it was injured, Eunbi patched it up with more plum sauce.


They also had moments outside their home. They joined dancercises in the park, went to pick ingredients in the market together, and ate cream puffs together. Eunbi may have more relaxing times with it but there were also worrying times because the duck was susceptible to accidents. But for whatever it’s worth, Eunbi took care of it.


She grew fond of the duck like it was her daughter.


“Yeori-ya~” Eunbi called.


The duck went down from her room and Eunbi adored her. From a small duck, Yeori grew into a big kid that was the size of a toddler. She was also developing a ponytail on her head and on her tail. The lips were the unchanged look as it became her iconic feature.


“Come on. Let’s go.”


Eunbi lent a hand but Yeori didn’t hold back. It was the first time that Yeori didn’t hold Eunbi’s hand Eunbi she understood, nonetheless. Her daughter was growing and changes like that are normal.


Although sometimes, Eunbi couldn’t help but worry.


+++


The routines were of the usual. It was the bond Eunbi mostly shared with Yeori but what she didn’t expect was that everything was going to change.


During the dancercise, Eunbi was dancing wholeheartedly while Yeori was doing sloppy gestures while her head turned to the side, watching two female kids play soccer. She and her conscience were debating to join or not and her conscience won. So, Yeori sneaked out slowly and joined the kids.


“Hey. What’s your name?” The tall puppy-like kid of the duo spoke.


“I’m Lee Yeori.”


“Nice to meet you, Yeori. I’m Ahn Yujin.” She shook hands with her. “This is my friend, Kang Hyewon.”


Hyewon shared a hi-five with Yeori as she got the soccer ball. “Do you play?”


“I don’t…but can I join?”


“Sure.” Yujin agreed and received the soccer ball.


The trio exchanged passes and ran around the field. Yeori was having fun despite the injuries she was getting. Because she was just a flab of cooked meat, hits could cause the fibers to break off. 


And that’s what made Eunbi stop dancing and rushing towards her.


Yeori made an attempt to kick the soccer ball with her almost broken leg when Eunbi kicked it away as soon as Yeori charged. Eunbi then swooped Yeori in her arms, leaving Hyewon and Yujin to bid a silent farewell.


“Ma!” Yeori snapped. “I want to play!!”


“No, no…it’s too dangerous for you.” Eunbi hugged her closer. “Stay with Mommy where it’s safe, okay?”


Yeori whined but she had no choice as Eunbi grew serious. 


+++


Yeori was waiting by the side as Eunbi was buying ingredients. She saw Hyewon and Yujin again and they were playing soccer.


“Join us, Yeori.” Hyewon offered.


Yeori did and joined them in running…


…until Eunbi caught her and carried her.


“Ma~!!”


“You’ll get hurt if you play.” Eunbi spoke and checked her cheek. “It’s still bruised from a while ago.”


“Stop that. I’m fine.” Yeori huffed. 


They got on the bus back home, sitting at their usual spot. Eunbi carried bags and Yeori and sat. Eunbi placed the bags down and held Yeori to check on her.


“Hold still, baby.” Eunbi got some plum sauce and tried to paint Yeori’s patches.


“Ma~!” Yeori whined. “Ma, you’re messing up my ponytail!”


Yeori pushed herself away and sat on her seat. Eunbi handed her cream puff to cheer her up but Yeori looked away and harrumphed. Eunbi felt down and ate the cream puff herself.


This was her worry manifesting itself. She loved Yeori so much that she vowed to care and protect her. But Yeori was growing to become independent, drifting away from her.


This wasn’t supposed to happen, Eunbi thought. She wanted to make sure that Yeori will always want to need her.