Wisdom of Sociology (MakMadz)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

The essential wisdom of sociology is that the social world guides our actions and life choices.


“Wonyoung, no!”


Wonyoung looked back and her small mother figure stopped her from going further towards the deep waters.


It was a friendly vacation for the twelve members in Sokcho. For this day, it was a time to have skinny dips or swims in the cold yet bearable sea. As for Wonyoung, she was being teased by her dorky unnies to swim with them towards the deep waters. Not wanting to feel left out and to be embarrassed by them – especially with her crush among them – she dared to do the impossible, even though her inner baby was worried.


Luckily, the mother rabbit guided her own baby rabbit out of trouble.


“You were about to swim on the open pyet deep water!”


“But Eunbi-unnie – “


“It’s just a good thing I came here! I wouldn’t know if you were in trouble or if you idiots are planning something that could risk all of your safety!” Eunbi pointed at the three. “I’m mostly looking at you, Choi Yena.”


“Unnie, don’t fret too much. I’ll be guiding them.” Yena defended. “And besides, Wonie’s not coming because she’s too scared.”


“No, I’m not!” Wonyoung exclaimed, almost combusting.


“This does not concern your assurance in keeping the maknaes safe, Yena. You’re lucky Yuri is here or else I’ll scold you big-time.” Eunbi hissed then got to Wonyoung’s attention. “Won, you don’t need to swim with them. You know you don’t do well with that yet.”


“Unnie! I can swim well!” Wonyoung spat, growing angry.


The rest of the members stopped their other businesses and swam to where the five were. Yuri was getting scared that she had to hide between Yena and Yujin, who were twice as scared.


It wasn’t just because of Eunbi’s scolding. It was also because of Wonyoung’s outbursts and normally, she never does that.


“No, you can’t. Despite being tall, you need to be careful.” Eunbi spoke then pulled her so they’ll go back to shore. “Okay. I was right. You know what? All of us are going back to shore.”


“No, unnie!” Wonyoung drove her hand away. “Just because you’re scared of the ocean – “


“Clearly, you’re not ready and you’re not going to attempt in doing so until you are.” Eunbi cuts her off, getting crossed. “You think you can just do things your way but you just can’t, Wonyoung!”


Wonyoung went mum but her expressions were dark. Most of the members – especially the dongsaeng line – interpreted it as something wrong.


And they were never wrong.


“I hate you.” Wonyoung mumbled and went to shore.


Eunbi’s stern expression instantly changed into a worried one. Wonyoung wasn’t usually the one to feel anger and disgust towards anything, especially to Eunbi. She was their maknae, always obedient, always smiling and always making everyone happy.

 
But it all changed when she went to shore herself.


“Won!” Yujin went after her.


Yuri followed her fellow puppy, leaving Yena to shake her head many times as she followed them. The rest were silent and worried for their unnie and maknae but Eunbi sighed and said, “Everyone. Let’s return to shore.”


Chaewon and Minju went ahead with Nako and Hitomi following them. As for Chaeyeon, Hyewon, and Sakura remained to console their leader.


“Hey, unnie. Is there anything we can do to ease you?” Sakura asked. “I know you were just worried about Wonyoung but – “


“I’m an idiot for yelling at her.” Eunbi mumbled then sighed. “What kind of a leader am I?”


Eunbi went ahead, leaving the trio to follow with worried looks at each other. Eunbi walked like a broken sack as she tries to figure how to apologize to Wonyoung.


Hopefully, it would be done soon.


+++


Humans, as part of various groups that build connections, social constructs sometimes mislead to think that as a human, one has the power to hone freedom and independence in one’s whole being. One believes that those two factors build strength, help in surviving the harsh realities the world offers, and makes one do whatever is wished. Yet, what one doesn’t realize is that one cannot be the ONLY one to accomplish tasks, experiences, and emotions, where there are people who experience various emotions and scenarios for various reasons.


Wonyoung was crying in her room and Yujin was by her side from the time she went out to shore until now. Yujin understood Wonyoung’s plight; she wanted to challenge herself and try despite her cowardice and uncertainties. However, she also understood Eunbi’s protectiveness; she was the unnie in their group and would everything in her responsibility for her dongsaengs as their leader.


Eunbi had to do it. It was all thanks to an incident that happened to them a few months ago.


“Unnie…” Wonyoung looked to Yujin with the same puffy face.


“Hey…” Yujin eased her face. “It’s okay. Cry for as long as you need to.”


Wonyoung continued to hug her. Yujin sighed and hugged back. She was also a bit teary because seeing Wonyoung cry made her cry. However, she couldn’t cry because she needed to be strong for Wonyoung.


“Was I wrong to do that?” Wonyoung asked. 


“It was right to say your mind but it was wrong to yell at her like that. She’s also wrong to belittle you but also right because she wanted to protect us, to protect you.” Yujin spoke then asked. “Won, remember what happened a few months ago?”


Wonyoung nodded. It was a dark memory that affected them, mostly her.


It was a rainy day. They were out for a drive towards their dorm from a hectic day of schedules. Just then, a rancid driver drove his truck too fast and it bumped on their van, causing it to skid on a ravine. Everyone was at a state of panic and were in casualties. To rank it up, Wonyoung had the most casualties because she was sitting in front.


It was all over the news. Fans went rancid in various media, demanding the frontlines to do their responsibilities to help the girls out of that accident. Paramedics and rescuers rushed to their aid but the current situation didn’t go well. 


Most of them survived but the worst thing was that Wonyoung was inside the destroyed because her legs were stuck. It was an ultimatum because the car was burning and the gas was leaking.


“Help!! Unnies!!!”


She was weeping. It was when at that impulse that she screamed. “EUNBI-UNNIE! HELP!”


“She heard me. She r-rushed towards the van and screamed as she tries to lift the dent that had my legs. All of you followed one by one…and…” Wonyoung was crying again.


“Now, with the incident, do you think it’s better to cut Eunbi-unnie some slack?” Yujin asked while hugging her again.


Wonyoung hesitated. She was still hurt from how Eunbi yelled at her. 


“You know, Eunbi-unnie was the most worried about you at that time.” Yujin shared. “She was by your side when you got to the ambulance despite having injuries. She almost had a fight with a cocky doctor because he didn’t want to treat your wounds. She even cried the most when you were sent to the ER. Hyewon-unnie was really strong and comforted Eunbi-unnie the most because she was sobbing. We all were.”


“Unnie…”


Yujin cupped her cheek and wiped the tears away. “What is it?”


“I feel sorry now…”


“Do you want to tell her now? I’ll come with you.”


“It’s okay, unnie. I can do it myself.” Wonyoung calmed down and hugged her. “Thank you.”


“You’re welcome.” Yujin spoke, adding a kiss on her cheek.


Wonyoung regained her composure and went out of the room. Yujin couldn’t help but feel proud and teary.


It just goes to show that in Yujin’s perception, Eunbi didn’t need to worry too much about Wonyoung anymore.


+++


Poverty isn’t faced by only one but many. Emotional backlash isn’t faced by only one but many. A relationship isn’t faced by only one but many. Even death isn’t faced by only one but many. In other words, everyone believes they’re free to do their own things without realizing that other people become free in that way too. Freedom and independence isn’t acquired by only one but many.


Even guilt.


Eunbi was alone in the dining room. Most of the girls would’ve taken naps after swimming for so long but in her case, her conscience didn’t allow her, not even a minute of rest.


She hated it but accepted it. It was her punishment for being overprotective.


“Unnie?”


Eunbi thought she was deaf or rancid. She continued to gulp her Sprite down and ignore it.


“Unnie.”


It was louder – an assurance that she wasn’t delusional. Eunbi turned to side and gasped to see Wonyoung.


“Hey...” Eunbi greeted her. “Couldn’t sleep?”


Wonyoung shook her head. Nonetheless, she sat next to Eunbi and watched her drink.


She can’t chicken out now. She had to speak what’s in her heart.


“Unnie…” Wonyoung called and Eunbi looked at her. “I’m sorry if I got mad at you.”


“I’m the one who should be sorry, Won.” Eunbi began. “I was so eager to protect you after that incident, so eager to watch over you so that you were safe. I was willing to put your happiness and independence away just so it could always happen.”


“Unnie…” Wonyoung got teary.


“It was too much for you to bear and now, you hate me.” Eunbi wiped them away. “Nothing should be worth that. I’m sorry I couldn’t be the best leader and unnie for you, Won.”


Wonyoung shook her head many times and hugged Eunbi. Eunbi hugged her back and her heart broke hearing her cry.


“Hey…everything’s okay now.” Eunbi comforted her. “I just thank Hananim that all of us survived and that you’re safe.”


“Unnie…” Wonyoung sniffled as her tears stained Eunbi’s shoulder. “I don’t hate you…”


Eunbi’s “No” rang around many times as she continued to say her sorry. Wonyoung took time to calm down and once she did, she still hugged Eunbi. 


“Aigoo…there’s ice cream in the fridge. Your Chaeyeon-unnie bought them.”


Wonyoung cheered and got to the fridge to get her share. She returned by Eunbi’s sides and ended up sharing jokes about their lives.


And from there, we realize that all the things we do, think, and say, have a special connection that coincide with different people.


That’s the wisdom of sociology.