Affianced Rivals: Part 2 (JangChae)

365 with ZOZI [HIATUS]

Morning came so early that the sun rose very early. Wonyoung was the first to wake up as she stretches her limbs and did a little morning warm-up before going towards the window and welcome the Sun like – 


A hiss was heard. Wonyoung looked back and giggled upon seeing the sleeping culprit. She went to lie down again and faced the hissing person.
More like her hissing fiancée.


“Ssamu? Ssamu~” Wonyoung called. “Come on, Ssamu. We have to prepare for school.”


Wonyoung huffed as her girl was still asleep. She pinched her cheeks and instead of getting an awake girl, she only got a whine from herself because her girl was so cute.


“Ssamu. Yah, Kim Chaewon.” Wonyoung nudged.


Still not working. Wonyoung just kept on calling and ended up hugging Chaewon close and biting her ear, causing Chaewon to jolt up and carrying Wonyoung with her. As a result of their sudden movements, they fell on the bed together. 


“Oww…” Chaewon winced.


“Serves you right for acting recklessly,” said Wonyoung.


Chaewon rubbed her eyes and yawned. Wonyoung used it as a chance to kiss her lips.


“Good morning.” Wonyoung greeted. “I love you…”


“Good morning.” Chaewon greeted back while rubbing her eyes. “I love you too…”


“Come on. Let’s prepare for school.” Wonyoung got up and helped Chaewon up.


Chaewon nodded and prepared first. Wonyoung fixed their bed and decided to prepare breakfast by heating up prep meals that their parents made. Chaewon would be cooking when she’s the one preparing breakfast but the task assignment changed to Wonyoung preparing breakfast. The prep meals were her savior since she doesn’t know how to cook. And even if she does, it would only burn the kitchen.


As soon as Wonyoung finished preparing, Chaewon was already suited up for school. She got to her seat and ate the prep meal wholeheartedly. Wonyoung couldn’t help but look at her.


“Won, you should eat.” 


Wonyoung returned to reality and joined Chaewon in eating breakfast. They were finished in a short time and Chaewon fixed the table.


“Aigoo…I’m in second place, remember?”


Chaewon almost forgot their routine called First and Second. It became a sole reason to why Wonyoung was still in her PJs while Chaewon was already in her uniform.


They were known to be rivals in school because they were pitting themselves for first place in their fields, resulting in the two taking first and second places alternatively EVERYTIME. Although that idea circulated into the minds of many students in their university – specifically in their sector – the idea of them actually affianced was added into the equation, making the students dig their noses to find out about the details.


The actions pissed Chaewon and Wonyoung, especially their parents. If it were the case that  they confirm their relationship, it would create gossip, leading to people digging their noses deeper into their personal life and tarnishing their names. That is why the rivalry must be done for the betrothal rumor to be hidden. For the couple, they help implementing that idea by implementing First and Second in their home; wherein they alternate themselves on who should do their morning routines and evening routines first – like who should leave to school or come home first. Wonyoung went first yesterday so Chaewon can go first today.


“I’ll take care of the house for this morning.” Wonyoung spoke. “Make sure to text me when you’ve arrived at school. And make sure to be home later since AhnYu and Jjoyul will come over. I’ll text you when they’ve left.”


“Okay.” Chaewon nodded and went to brush her teeth.


Wonyoung got busy in keeping the house clean as Chaewon finished brushing and got her bag on her shoulders. 


“I’ll be going now, Won~”


“Hep!” Wonyoung got in front of her. “My kiss first.”


Chaewon settled for a quick peck but Wonyoung settled for a deeper one. Chaewon patted her back to let themselves breathe.


“I can taste the chicken and mint together, Won.”


“Gross!” Wonyoung turned Chaewon around and slapped her back. “Now go! Shoo!”


Chaewon chuckled and went. Wonyoung held her lips and squealed at herself. She managed to do the morning routines with a smile on her face.


Who knew it had to do with the love of her life?


+++


“Step on proper timing when you draw your jousts!” The Coach snapped. “The sooner you do this properly, the sooner we can have our spars and the sooner we can leave!”


The fencing team nodded and practiced their jousts. Chaewon and Wonyoung excelled in this exercise that the Coach stepped them out first. They raced towards the water dispenser and hissed at each other.


“I got here first, Jang.” Chaewon got her class. 


“Hey, Kim. I got here first.” Wonyoung emphasized.


“Oh, yeah?” Chaewon raised an eyebrow. “Well, I ran here faster.”


“With me!” Wonyoung gritted her teeth and went to get water quickly. 


Chaewon pushed her off afterward to get a drink when Wonyoung pushed her off as well. The other fencers chanted at them whereas the Coach shut them up and scolded Chaewon and Wonyoung to knock their rivalry off.


“Settle it on the strip, Jang. Kim.” Their Coach spat. “Commence assault of three-points! Now!”


Chaewon hissed and puts her mask. Wonyoung joined in and they got to their en-garde lines. The Coach tosses them two épées and the two saluted before sparring. Chaewon was the first to launch a simple attack while Wonyoung was more into defense. Chaewon was very aggressive with her stances that it made Wonyoung walk back past the strip.


“Group 1.” The Coach holds a yellow card.


Chaewon got her first point. Wonyoung cussed and became more focused. Chaewon charged again but Wonyoung was quick to dodge and aim at Chaewon’s left side, earning her first point.


“Pinned you, Kim~” Wonyoung chanted.


“Get your épée off!” Chaewon flicked it off with her own.


Chaewon charged at Wonyoung again and there were many times their épées clashed. Wonyoung was almost hit on the lower leg but she deflected it and hit Chaewon’s forehead.


“Pinned you again.” Wonyoung chuckled and backed away.


The Coach deemed Wonyoung as the winner of their assault. Everyone applauded and Wonyoung thanked them as she took her mask off. 


“Hey, Kim!” Wonyoung called. “I won~”


“Aish. I despise your stupid face.” Chaewon hissed back as she took it off.


Wonyoung kept on chanting that she won. Chaewon made a gesture that her words got inside one ear and got outside another. Wonyoung stopped and got pissed, causing Chaewon to laugh.


“That was funny. You got stoned, Jang.” Chaewon cackled. “Well, forgive me for not leaping for joy. Not a good jumper, you know?”


“Hey, Kim!” Wonyoung spat. “I won! That makes you in second place!”


“Hey, Jang! I don’t care!” Chaewon spat back. “That makes you a sore winner, you weirdo!”


The fencers reacted with ohhs and mic drops. The Coach silenced them again and paired the rest into spars. She approached the two and they lined up again. 


“I don’t know with you two, really. The rivalry is so uncanny that we got used to it.” The Coach sighed. “Anyway, we have our practices for the Interschool Olympics this Saturday. ALL of you must be here, especially you two.”


“Yes, ma’am!” They saluted with the èpées, causing the Coach to back away.


“And you, Kim…” She pointed. “…this is your last warning for your absences. If you don’t come this Saturday, you can kiss your fencing dreams goodbye. Understand?!”


“Yes, ma’am.” Chaewon spoke, causing Wonyoung to laugh in the distance.


The Coach dismissed them early because they finished early and they were the pride of their fencing; aspiring champions in the Interschool Olympics – nay, the Olympics itself.


The two raced towards the shower room and the Coach face-palmed.


“Keep that up, you two. I wouldn’t be surprised if you two dated.” She mumbled then spat. “Back to sparring!!”


+++


Yujin and Yuri clapped during lunch. Wonyoung shared her progress of winning an assault with Chaewon and they were very proud.


“Wow~ you flicked your sword like a true god.” Yujin spoke.


“Isn’t that great?” Wonyoung asked and they nodded. “I am finally the first placer in our similar fields!”


“We know!” Yuri added. “I wonder if Chaewon’s a sourpuss about it.”


Chaewon got in the canteen with her two close friends, Minju and a duck by the name of Choi Yena. They got their trays of food and were looking for a good spot.


“Psh. Who cares?” Wonyoung averted the idea and gave them extra dessert. “Come on. Let’s continue eating?”


“That looks delicious.”


Wonyoung got icing on her face as she was frightened. Behind her was a laughing Chaewon as she sat with Minju and Yena in an adjacent table close to theirs.


“The only way you’d care is when you win.” Chaewon cackled. “You look like a pale Rudolph!”


“Man!” Wonyoung huffed and wiped her nose. “We’re way beyond your boundary, Kim!”


“So is the other twin tower admitting that she’s a sore winner?” Chaewon asked, raising her eyebrows.


“It’s Ms. Twin Tower for you, fuzzy!” Wonyoung harrumphed. “Just shut up and eat.”


Yena cackled with Chaewon, sharing hi-fives. Minju shrugged and joined them. Wonyoung and her friends resumed in eating their desserts and Chaewon looked at Wonyoung lightly but instead, her gaze was glued.


“What is it, Kim?” Wonyoung asked. “Choking on your food, perhaps?”


“Ix-nay on the upid-stay~” Chaewon chanted before eating again.


“Who are you calling, upid-stay?!” Wonyoung spat.


“Rumor has it that Jang and Kim are dating~!” Minju yelled and the whole canteen reacted.


Minju returned to eating peacefully while Yena, Yujin, and Yuri almost spit their food. Chaewon and Wonyoung’s eyes and were enraged as Minju fibally finished her meal and pranced away.


“MINJU GA DDO!!!” The two yelled and chased her.


+++


“Great.” Chaewon hissed as she turned her slept her phone. “My SNS are flooding about that rumor!”


“I had to do it to shut you two up!” Minju spat back. “The rivalry is unbecoming, even Yena thinks you and Wonyoung are dating.”


“How are you even my cousin? The family will be pissed again.” Chaewon spoke.


“No fret, my dear niece.” Minju’s mom came from the kitchen. “Your uncle and father have it control for now.” She pointed a spatula at Minju. “You’re grounded for being too reckless, young lady.”


“But Ma~” Minju huffed. “They won’t shut up~”


“You’ll feel the same once I betroth you to one of the Ahns.” Her mother spat, shocking Chaewon and Minju. “The Ahns are the cousins of the Jangs so we keep the family tradition running.”


Chaewon laughed. Minju wanted to shut her up.
“Such timing, Imonie. We have a classmate that has the last name which she has an interest on.” Chaewon spoke. “Her name’s Ahn Yujin – “


“Aish! Don’t give Ma ideas!” Minju slapped her back. “Let’s have dinner quickly so we send you off quickly!”


Chaewon laughed again and followed Minju to the dining hall.


+++


Minju was driving her car and Chaewon was beside her. Chaewon’s timing was impeccable because Wonyoung texted her that they were finished in making their project. The arrived at their house in less than a minute when Minju yelped. 


“Yah, what’s wrong?”


Minju pointed outside and Chaewon yelped with her. Wonyoung was outside talking to Yujin and Yuri. Wonyoung was talking a lot when she gasped in seeing the familiar vehicle parked by her (their) house. Yujin and Yuri looked and wondered why the vehicle was parked there. Minju gulped and Chaewon snapped at her to drive. Being protective friends to Wonyoung, they got closer to the vehicle with caution. Wonyoung cussed and went to stop them.


“Minju?” Yujin saw the familiar driver.


“What’s up, Ahn?” Minju waved.


“What brings you here?” Yuri asked.


Chaewon was hiding underneath the backseat. She tried her best to hide but because the backseat was so cramped and humid, Chaewon got out from her hiding place, shocking the stupid dogs.


“Well, well, what have we got here?” Yuri crossed her arms.


“Just what I was thinking, Yul. Trespassing cousins!” Yujin pointed out.


“You guys are mistaken.” Chaewon got beside Minju and coughed. “Rest assure you, we had a simple navigational error.” 


“Where are you two going?” Wonyoung joined in, raising an eyebrow.


“To a place called Noneofyabusiness.” Chaewon spoke.


“Your jokes are lame.” Yujin spoke.


“I, you stupid tower, am a connoisseur of jokes.” Chaewon spoke.


“And that would make you?” Yuri pointed at Minju. 


“Her alipores.” Minju spoke. “It’s an existing term for servels.”


“Where are you going? How did you get here?” Wonyoung asked. “And why are you parked here at my house? Do you know what I do to people who intrude my property?”


“Psh. You can’t do anything to me!” Chaewon spat.


“Technically, she can. We are in her property,” said Minju.


“But Min…” Chaewon whispered to her cousin. “…you told me that people and their property are a bunch of malarkey.”


“Ix-nay on the upid-stay~” Minju whispered back.


“Who are you calling, upid-stay?!” Yuri spat.


“My, my, my, we need to go!” Chaewon nudged Minju and her cousin started her car.


“Hep! You’re not going anywhere!” Yujin got up front.


“You’re gonna get killed, Ahn!” Minju spat.


“Intruder!!” Chaewon pointed by the house.


The trio looked back like idiots and the cousins drove off. Yujin and Yuri yelled at them to come back but Wonyoung calmed them down.


“Enough, guys. It’s not worth it.” She added. “Anyway, thanks for keeping me company.”


“Anytime, Won.” Yujin got to hug her.


“See you tomorrow, Won.” Yuri got her turn.


Wonyoung hugged them with twice the passion and watched the dog duo go. She slowly went back while watching them go to the other neighborhood. Once they were out of sight, Wonyoung dialled someone, saying. “Tell Minju to reverse the car back here.”


Wonyoung hung up and returned outside. Minju’s car reversed back to its original position and Chaewon got out in relief.


“See you tomorrow, lovebirds.” Minju waved and drove off.


The couple waved back. Chaewon would’ve yelled something when Wonyoung pulled her inside the house.


“Why were you back?” Wonyoung asked as she closed the door. “We almost got caught!”


“You texted me that you’re done with your project!” Chaewon spoke back.


“I didn’t say to return right away.” Wonyoung spoke again then sighed. “Nonetheless, you were great right there. Good job in making excuses.”


“Anything for you, Won.” Chaewon winked.


Wonyoung hissed but hugged Chaewon close to her. Chaewon hugged back, barely reaching Wonyoung’s head. 


“I called your favorite restaurant and ordered our favorites.” Wonyoung spoke as they broke. “Let’s eat.”


Chaewon was so hungry from the shenanigan a while ago. She was relieved that she can eat now.
The stunt a while ago was a warning. With that in mind, they need to be more careful. 


As promised, they must maintain that affianced rivalry towards deeper secrecy.