All ::05::

Ruining & Rising [coming back 2017]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Byun Baekhyun," he hears his name being called and looks to his side as he holds a brush. He sees how Kang Seulgi, the head SM artist, looks at him with an unreadable expression. 

"Yes?" He stops what he's doing and turns his body to face the woman with a blanked out face that screams adorable. 

"You have a new assignment. You're going to be in charge of Kai's appearance for the first 4 songs of his concert this Saturday," she tells him as she runs her fingers through an idol's red hair with gel. "This is going to be your first, full job as an artist here. You're going to be in charge of his makeup, hair style, and clothing. So, make sure you work extra hard this week to make the best for him."

Baekhyun wants to cry. He really wants to cry. Feeling like he's in the heavens, his eyes sparkle tremendously as he looks at Seulgi who is a bit awkward from the look on his face.

 

My first assignment!

Oh my god. Someone hold me!

 

"Seulgi! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Baekhyun has a little jump he does with both feet which shows his excitement. The brush he has in his right hand spreads powder onto his idol's brown hair, shocking both Seulgi and him. "!" Baekhyun yells a bit too loud that the entire studio can hear him which triggers his embarrassment. His shoulder scrunch up as a reaction as he ruffles his idol's brown hair quickly. The idol gives him a disapproving look because he knows exactly what Baekhyun did to his hair. "Sorry about that, Yesung."

"So, his first 4 songs are more darker and edgier, so take note of that. The last thing we want is him looking like he came out of H.O.T's Candy dancing to something like 4minute's Crazy," Seulgi remarks, and Baekhyun takes a moment to imagine the thought of Jongin in giant, yellow mittens and suspenders dancing to 4minute.

"Yes, ma'am," Baekhyun responds with a slight bow. He's trying really hard not to cry right now. He can't believe the reality that is happening to him. 

"Oh, right. Where is Chanyeol?" Seulgi questions which makes Baekhyun tilt his head for a second.

"I'm not sure, why?" Baekhyun answers honestly while he finishes up Yesung's makeup.

"Well, you two are always together, so I thought you'd know where he is." Seulgi's statement rushes Baekhyun's thoughts. He realizes he has been hanging out with that damn manager — maybe a bit too much. "I've never seen you two not together. You two are like yin and yang, salt and pepper, right and left, and front and back." Baekhyun can't help but feel his heartbeat increase just from hearing those words. He doesn't understand why he keeps getting flustered over that clumsy idiot or why his smiles become bigger when he's around him. 

"Are we really like that?" Baekhyun softly asks, for some reason hoping for the girl to say no because his thoughts may come true. He's been too attached to that guy and he doesn't want to admit it.

"Yes," A few other artists say it along with Seulgi which widens Baekhyun's eyes. He didn't expect it to be so easy for people to answer which only makes him lose his mind. "Are you two dating or something?" Seulgi avows, and Baekhyun chokes on his saliva a bit too overexaggeratedly. He would have thought she was joking, but that serious face tells him she is not. 

"What are you talking about?" Baekhyun calms himself down a little.

"I mean, there are plenty of gays in the industry, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were one."

 

No.

No.

This can't be happening.

Park Chanyeol cannot make me question my uality.

 

"No, we're not dating. We're just really close." 

"Uh huh," Seulgi jests, obviously not taking no for an answer while she styles up an idol's hair. Baekhyun is still not satisfied with anything as the artists next to him don't believe him either which flushes his face.

Right then, the doors of the studio open and in comes a giant, tall man with a serious expression. Baekhyun's expression grows ill as he wants to hide in embarrassment.

"Kang Seulgi, give me your plans," he orders as he sits down in one of the waiting chairs set beside the makeup area.

"Yes, President Wu," she nods after a bow and stands up straight. Baekhyun clearly remembers spraying this man in the face with foundation and can't help but feel shivers run down his spine as the man sits there silently waiting for Seulgi to speak. "I, Kang Seulgi, will be in charge of Kai's appearance for the last 4 songs while Byun Baekhyun will be in charge of his appearance on the first 4 songs. The appearance of Kai in between those 8 songs will be Kim Jonghyun's job."

"You're going to let that kid be in charge of one of the biggest stars in Asia?" CEO Wu points to Baekhyun with distaste as his right leg overlaps his left in the most intimidating way. Baekhyun's stance becomes tense as his stomach is in pain from his heart beating too fast for his own good. Pressure is one thing Baekhyun can't deal with very well but he tries his best to it up. 

"Yes, sir. He's the main artist in this studio," Seulgi tries covering for him up a bit, but there is no satifaction on Kris Wu's face.

"Main artist? I don't remember calling you that," Kris removes his right leg from his left and stands up with crossed arms, staring into Baekhyun's soul dreadfully. "Do you think the entertainment industry is easy? Do you think you can pat on some powder, draw eyeliner, and paste on eyeshadow like it's nothing?" Kris's voice raises slowly as he recalls getting covered in foundation.

"I realize that you still hold a grudge for me spraying you with foundation. I apologize for splatting you with foundation, sir, but I know that covering you in foundation does not determine my skills. I don't believe patting on powder, drawing eyeliner, and pasting eyeshadow is nothing. It's a process and I'd appreciate it if you could judge me on my skills instead of what I clumsily did to you . . . sir." Many of the artists in the studio eye Baekhyun with enlarged eyes because the small-looking, fragile dude just told the boss what to do. Kris looks down at Baekhyun not in rage but in slight interest. "I-I'm sorry! That was really ignorant. I shouldn't have said that—"

"No," Kris cuts Baekhyun off. "Please do show me your skills." Baekhyun has to admit, this guy is scary as . The thick eyebrows and dirty blond hair with a perfectly straightened tuxedo. All of the artists are noticing how their own boss has suddenly pulled an interest in an artist who's only been there for a few weeks. Even if they've been working for years in the studio, President Wu has never grabbed interest in any of the artists no matter how good they are. Even Irene wasn't a great interest to him. 

"Y-Yes, sir." Baekhyun bows awkwardly after receiving the sudden attention from everyone. Even Seulgi looks at him, surprised. Kris sits back down, waiting for Baekhyun to do something that impresses him. "I'll use Seulgi as a canvas."

"W-Wait, what?—" Baekhyun pulls her down on a chair and spreads out a few tools on his desk that allows him to freely grab them. He begins his work seriously without sparing one glance toward his boss like a good artist should. Kris notices how focused this boy is. The glint in Baekhyun's eyes signal true potential as he works on Seulgi's eyes. 

"You know that man has never had interest in any of the artists here?" Seulgi wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter