EXO-K - Kai

Kpop One Shots

“Margoux” the boy uttered through his streaming tears. “He said it wasn’t going to work.” Another sniffle. A pause for the boy to recollect his thoughts, stop the shakiness in his voice. “He left me.” Margoux sighed knowingly on the other end of the phone. “I’m sorry Kai but I told you it was inevita-“

A bleep.

Margoux glanced at the screen of her phone, confused at why the sound had occurred.

A sigh escaped her lips.

Kai had terminated the call.

***

It’d been at least a week now since that late-night phone call with Kai, Margoux’s stomach churned whenever she thought about it which, as of late, had been very often. Perhaps too often for her liking. Why should she care? Kyungjil had been the reason Kai and herself had ended their relationship which happened to be only a few weeks prior to Kai and Kyungjil dating- what a jerk! Margoux had always warned Kai though, urged him to be wary of the rich kid. But, of course, the love-struck male paid no attention to her.

After the horrible matter of their breakup, Kai and Margoux had managed to stay friends which, in a way, wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, they’d remained fairly close friends and each knew pretty much everything about the other. Margoux had been the first living soul to know about Kyungjil, to know that he and Kai were dating, even before Kai’s own parents knew. She’d been sort-of flattered by this but not so much so that she could ignore the plain hurt churning in her stomach. It’d only been a week or so since the breakup that Kai introduced Margoux to his new boyfriend and, after minimal greeting and introduction, she’d claimed she had a tutoring session to be at and left as quickly as possible.

Kyungjil’s disgustingly sweet smile was not going to win her over her that easily.

But, even though she detested the boy with a passion she knew he made Kai happy and, as best she could, attempted to befriend the new boy. Of course, this was a lot harder than she had expected. One time they went to the bowling alley together and Margoux couldn’t help but notice the way Kai teased his boyfriend, poking him in the ribs with his fingers, a childish giggle escaping his lips. The ribs. Margoux sighed. She’d always been ticklish in the ribs; Kai had always that way.  Then there was that other time when Kai invited her along with them when they went shopping. Together, they strolled through Hongdae’s bustling streets, arm-in-arm, Margoux following behind.

The pair skipped past the “Su-Noraebang”. Margoux paused for a moment, her dark gaze drifting between the high building and the tanned male skipping away from her. Gazing at the building for a few moments more felt like an eternity and Margoux had to force herself to look away, a small Polaroid image of her and Kai stuck on the inside of the window sparking a pain in her chest. This had always been their favourite ‘date-spot’, as Kai liked to call it, and he hadn’t even glanced at it.

***

And now Kai had been dumped, he was now single once more. The thought troubled Margoux for some time, even more so when she realised it’d been just over a week since she’d last contacted the stricken boy. Her eyes widened, guilt twisting in her stomach. Maybe she should contact him, ask if he wanted to come over or something.  So, no sooner had the thought entered her mind, Margoux scampered over to where her phone lay on the bedside cabinet and punched in the boy’s number.

She held the phone close to her ear in anticipation.

What do you want?” There was no hiding the frustration in Kai’s words, so much so that Margoux was left speechless.

“I asked you what you wanted, Margoux. Are you going to tell me?” Kai snapped. The female sighed.

“We haven’t seen each other in a while, Kai.” Margoux started, having no idea how she was going to convince the boy to come over at this rate. “I was wondering if you wanted to come to my house. We could order pizza or something. And talk about things.” A sort-of coppery taste filled and Margoux realised she’d bitten her lip so hard that blood was no oozing from the tiny puncture wound. She’d become so distracted by the sight that she almost misheard the boy muttering a “yes” in response to her suggestion.

“Wait, so you are coming round?”

“I’ll be there in 20 minutes. And don’t worry, I still have a key.”

*bleep*

Margoux legs felt like jelly, unable to cope with her weight no longer. She steadied herself and sat down slowly on her bed. He still had a key to her home...

***

The clock’s hands ticked at a snail’s pace, each minute taking an eternity to pass. Margoux stared at the clock, willing it to move faster, willing the time to quicken to the same pace as her heartbeat. But then there was a knock at the door and Margoux practically ran towards it, arms outstretched so she could grab the handle. In doing so, she pulled the door open in one swift motion and plastered a winning smile across her lips. “Hey Kai.”

“Hey Margoux. You wanted to see me?” He didn’t hesitate in letting himself inside. Hands slung deep in his pockets, he stopped for a moment and gazed around Margoux’s small yet neat apartment. A tiny smile flickered across his lips. He strolled over to the sofa and sat down without receiving an offer, resting his boots on the coffee table, arms behind his head.

Margoux should have told him to move, told him that he couldn’t do that in her home. That’s exactly what she should have done, waltzed right up to him, bent down, their faces merely inches from one another’s and kisse-

“Yah- Margoux? Are you alright?” Eyebrow arched Kai was now staring at her, she could feel her cheeks warming. She must’ve looked pretty stupid back then, mind ‘away with the fairies’ as Kai would say. Margoux flashed him a poor excuse of a smile before making her way over to where he was sat. “I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?” A nervous giggle stopped him from replying and she soon continued speaking. “I’m worried about you; you know we haven’t spoken in like a week, Kai.” The tanned male sighed, relaxing further back into the sofa, his gaze drifting to the blank wall opposite. He didn’t speak for what seemed like forever. Nor did he move. It was as if even the vaguest mentioning of Kyungjil stunned him. “Hey, I’m sorry about what happened.” Margoux whispered, leaning forward and placing her hand tentatively on the boy’s thigh, squeezing it gently.

Kai’s eyes widened. He smacked her hand away, eyebrows knit in both confusion and fury. He then leapt to his feet. “What are you doing?” he barked, eyes narrowing furiously. His hand moved to where her hand had made contact with his thigh, hurt twisting his expression. “I thought you wanted to talk, Margoux. Not, well, whatever that was back then!” Margoux cowered slightly; she’d never seen Kai this angry. “It wasn’t meant like that, I swear.” The young female urged, tears threatening to spill as she grabbed her friend’s hand, trying to pull him back down to his seat.

Kai resisted easily, swiping his hand away and knocking Margoux to the side. He brushed down his shirt with his hands before turning on his heels and marching towards the front door. Margoux stood motionless, eyes glued on the male leaving her home, her vision blurred by the tears streaming down her cheeks. “Please don’t go Kai. I was only looking out for you.” Margoux cried, stumbling to her feet even though it was all too late. Kai fished the key from his pocket and tossed it towards her, the metal landing with a chink at her feet. “And you can have your key back.”

The door closed with a slam and Margoux curled into a ball.

Rejection now engulfed her. Why was it that no matter how much she tried to care for the boy it would always come back to haunt her?


JILBSLA here^^
This one-shot was requested by: amazingmurdermachine
I hope you like the one-shot! It was actually a little difficult for me to write at first because I wasn't so sure on how to end it but I hope it turned out alright. It was so sad to think of Jongin as angry ;;
Nonetheless, if you don't like it or want to change it, just let me know and I'll see what I can do!
Enjoy~!